Genomes and Genes
Organization: University Hospital
- [Cardiovascular risk scores: why, how and when to use them?]A Rudaz
Service de medecine de premier recours, Département de médecine communautaire et de premier recours HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 6:1809-12, 1814-5. 2010..They also allow to set target cholesterol levels according to the estimated risk. Each score is a practical tool to support decisions with its advantages and limits...
- Comparative performance analysis of state-of-the-art classification algorithms applied to lung tissue categorizationAdrien Depeursinge
Service of Medical Informatics, Geneva University Hospitals and University of Geneva, 24, Rue Micheli du Crest, CH 1211, Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Digit Imaging 23:18-30. 2010..These are based on McNemar's statistical tests and global accuracy. SVM reached best values for each metric and allowed a mean correct prediction rate of 88.3% with high class-specific precision on testing sets of 423 ROIs...
- [Geneva's "pharmacy from the heart": towards a better access to drugs for uninsured patients]Marius Besson
Unité mobile de soins communautaires, Service de medecine de premier recours, Département de médecine communautaire et de premier recours, HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 4:2054-8. 2008..This partnership is fully integrated in the local public/private network of institutions active in the fight against inequalities towards access to care...
- [Subjectivity and interpersonal subjectivity]Christophe Luthy
Service de médecine interne de rehabilitation, Département de réhabilitation et gériatrie, HUG, Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 4:2008. 2008
- Correlation of lung abnormalities on high-resolution CT with clinical graft-versus-host disease after allogeneic versus autologous bone marrow transplantation in childrenLaura Merlini
Paediatric Radiology Unit, University of Geneva Children s Hospital, Geneva 1205, Switzerland
Pediatr Radiol 38:1201-9. 2008..Several pathological patterns are described in the literature with different prognoses, and with different relationships to graft-versus-host disease (GVHD). The role of high-resolution CT (HRCT) is not yet well established...
- [Phenotypes of severe persistent asthma in adults]Sylvie Janin
Service de Pneumologie, HUG, Geneve
Rev Med Suisse 3:2663-7. 2007..The present review will briefly discuss corticoid-resistant asthma, occupational asthma, aspirin-induced asthma, and the association of asthma with obesity...
- TMPRSS3, a type II transmembrane serine protease mutated in non-syndromic autosomal recessive deafnessMichel Guipponi
Division of Medical Genetics, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Front Biosci 13:1557-67. 2008..TMPRSS3 mutations are not a common cause of hereditary deafness, the elucidation of its function is nevertheless important for better understanding of hearing, and provide biological targets for therapeutic interventions...
- [Drowning]J Hausser
Service de médecine interne générale, Département de médecine interne et Service d anesthésiologie, Département d Anesthésiologie, pharmacologie et soins intensifs HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 3:1834-8. 2007..The most frequent complications except anoxic encephalopathy are bacterial pneumonia and ARDS...
- Primer: the practical use of biological markers of rheumatic and systemic inflammatory diseasesEric Dayer
Centre Hospitalier du Centre du Valais, Sion, Switzerland
Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 3:512-20. 2007....
- To sedate or not to sedate?Sophie Pautex
Center of Continuous Care CESCO, Department of Rehabilitation and Geriatrics, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Pain Symptom Manage 34:105-7. 2007
- Influence of antidepressants on hemostasisDemian Halperin
Clinical Psychopharmacology Unit, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Dialogues Clin Neurosci 9:47-59. 2007....
- Assessment of 18F-FDG-leukocyte imaging to monitor rejection after pancreatic islet transplantationC Toso
Cell Isolation and Transplantation Center, Clinic for Visceral and Transplant Surgery, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Transplant Proc 38:3033-4. 2006..We sought to investigate the feasibility of 18F-FDG-leukocyte imaging to detect islet rejection...
- Brief report: beyond clinical experience: features of data collection and interpretation that contribute to diagnostic accuracyMathieu R Nendaz
Unit of Development and Research in Medical Education, University of Geneva, Faculty of Medicine and Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
J Gen Intern Med 21:1302-5. 2006..OBJECTIVE, DESIGN: Prospective, observational study, to determine the respective contribution of clinical experience and data collection features to diagnostic accuracy...
- Carbogen breathing combined with radical radiotherapy in advanced head and neck cancer patients with severe co-morbiditiesH Vees
Division of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 18:493-6. 2006..To assess the feasibility of carbogen breathing combined with radical radiotherapy in patients with advanced head and neck cancer who are unfit to receive concomitant chemotherapy...
- Three-phase 18F-fluorocholine PET/CT in the evaluation of prostate cancer recurrenceCh Steiner
Service of Nuclear Medicine, Hospital Care System Research and Analysis Group, University Hospital of Geneva, Rue Micheli du Crest 24, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Nuklearmedizin 48:1-9; quiz N2-3. 2009..Contribution of 3-phase 18F-fluorocholine PET/CT in suspected prostate cancer recurrence at early rise of PSA...
- ListeriosisKlara M Posfay-Barbe
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Geneva, University Hospitals of Geneva, 6 Rue Willy Donze, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 14:228-33. 2009..Clinical manifestations of infection in the newborn fall into the traditional categories of early- and late-onset sepsis. Therapeutic recommendations include ampicillin and gentamicin for 14-21 days...
- Backup right ventricular pacing with a 0.035'' guidewire during implantation of left ventricular leadsHaran Burri
Cardiology Service, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 32:S12-5. 2009..We tested the feasibility of backup pacing with a 0.035'' guidewire, advanced through the guiding sheath during CS localization...
- [Child-Pugh, MELD and Maddrey scores]Laurence Gex
Service de medecine de premier recours
Rev Med Suisse 6:1803-4, 1806-8. 2010..The Maddrey score allows identifying the severe forms of alcoholic hepatitis, which can benefit from a corticotherapy to reduce the high short-term mortality...
- Underestimation of vancomycin and teicoplanin MICs by broth microdilution leads to underdetection of glycopeptide-intermediate isolates of Staphylococcus aureusPierre Vaudaux
Service of Infectious Diseases, University Hospitals of Geneva, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:3861-70. 2010..In conclusion, the sensitivity of broth microdilution MIC testing is questionable for reliable detection and epidemiological surveys of glycopeptide-intermediate resistance in S. aureus isolates...
- [Anemia with aplastic anemia, paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria and myelodysplastic syndromes]Jakob R Passweg
Service d Hematologie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve
Ther Umsch 67:251-5. 2010..Management by transfusions, the use of growth factors and iron chelation is being discussed as are more specific treatment approaches directed against the underlying disease...
- Fibrinogen and the risk of thrombosisPhilippe de Moerloose
Division of Angiology and Haemostasis, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Semin Thromb Hemost 36:7-17. 2010..This review discusses the various quantitative and qualitative defects of fibrinogen associated with thrombosis, the tests that may predict the thrombotic risk, as well as some preventive or therapeutic approaches...
- The place of downstaging for hepatocellular carcinomaChristian Toso
Transplantation Unit, Department of Surgery, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
J Hepatol 52:930-6. 2010..The present review discusses which treatments and strategies are available for downstaging HCC on the basis of the published literature...
- PET-guided delineation of radiation therapy treatment volumes: a survey of image segmentation techniquesHabib Zaidi
Geneva University Hospital, Geneva 4, Switzerland
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 37:2165-87. 2010..Future opportunities and the current challenges facing the adoption of PET-guided delineation of target volumes and its role in basic and clinical research are also addressed...
- Choosing the right amount of healthcare information technologies investmentsRodolphe Meyer
University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland INSERM U729, Paris, France
Int J Med Inform 79:225-31. 2010..Our objectives are to assess the financial impact of HIT on hospital outcome, and propose decision-helping tools that could be used to rationalize the distribution of hospital finances...
- Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) and tractography of the brachial plexus: feasibility and initial experience in neoplastic conditionsMaria Isabel Vargas
Department of Neuroradiology, DISIM, Geneva University Hospital, 4 rue Gabrielle Perret Gentil, 1211 Geneve 14, Switzerland
Neuroradiology 52:237-45. 2010..The objective of this study was to assess the feasibility and potential clinical applications of diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) and tractography in the normal and pathologic brachial plexus prospectively...
- Radiofrequency ablation of small liver malignancies under magnetic resonance guidance: progress in targeting and preliminary observations with temperature monitoringSylvain Terraz
Department of Radiology, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur Radiol 20:886-97. 2010....
- [Shock: diagnostic evaluation in the emergency department]Majd Ramlawi
Service des Urgences, Departement de Medecine, communautaire et de premier recours, HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 5:1600-2, 1604-5. 2009..The use, performance, and clinical benefits of ultrasound protocols applied by emergency physicians, still remain to be validated before to be implemented...
- Self-rated residual symptoms do not predict 1-year recurrence of depressionG Bertschy
Division of Adult Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, University Hospitals of Geneva, 2, chemin du Petit Bel Air, 1225 Chene Bourg, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur Psychiatry 25:52-7. 2010..In the absence of a specific instrument for the assessment of residual symptoms, a new 25-item Depression Residual Symptom Scale (DRSS) was elaborated and tested for recurrence prediction over a 1-year follow-up...
- [Neuropathy associated with monoclonal gammopathy (dysglobulinemia)]P H Lalive
Departement des neurosciences cliniques, HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 5:962-4, 966-7. 2009..These steps are required to initiate an appropriate therapy that may include chemotherapy, immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory treatment...
- Swiss psychiatrists' beliefs and attitudes about internet addictionGabriel Thorens
Division of Addictology, Geneva University Hospitals, rue Verte, 2, 1205, Geneva, Switzerland
Psychiatr Q 80:117-23. 2009..To investigate the beliefs and attitudes of Swiss general psychiatrists toward Internet addiction...
- A meta-analysis of the diagnostic performance of the direct agglutination test and rK39 dipstick for visceral leishmaniasisFrancois Chappuis
Geneva University Hospitals, Travel and Migration Medicine Unit, Rue Micheli du Crest 24, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
BMJ 333:723. 2006..To compare the performance of the direct agglutination test and rK39 dipstick for the diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis...
- [Hernia surgery: the unavoidable era of laparoscopy]I Inan
Service de Chirurgie Viscerale, HUG, Geneve
Rev Med Suisse 2:1578-82. 2006..Well codified and taught, the laparoscopy has an important role to play in hernia surgery today as well as in the future...
- 24-hour electrocardiogram before and during cisapride treatment in neonates and infantsSamuel A Zamora
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Biol Neonate 85:229-36. 2004....
- Using lexical disambiguation and named-entity recognition to improve spelling correction in the electronic patient recordPatrick Ruch
Medical Informatics Division, University Hospital of Geneva, 1205 Geneva, Switzerland
Artif Intell Med 29:169-84. 2003..It is concluded that NLP is mature enough to help information processing in EPR...
- Assessment of health status in chronic hemodialysis patientsThomas V Perneger
Division of Nephrology, Quality Care Unit, Geneva University Hospitals, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Nephrol 16:252-9. 2003..We compared three ways of assessing health status in chronic hemodialysis patients: generic questionnaire compared with population norms, disease-specific questionnaire, and open questions...
- Indocyanine green angiographic features in endogenous Candida chorioretinisEdoardo Baglivo
Clinique d ophtalmologie, Geneva, Suisse
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 220:179-81. 2003..To describe indocyanine green (ICG) angiography (ICGA) findings and clinical features of endogenous mycotic endophthalmitis...
- [Palliative treatment and geriatrics. How to prevent changes of mouth mucosa?]François Genoud
Krankenpfl Soins Infirm 96:48-52. 2003
- [Healthy aging: the Swiss experience]Jean Pierre Michel
Departement de Geriatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, 3, chemin du Pont Bochet, CH 1226 Thonex, Suisse
C R Biol 325:693-6. 2002..Explanations of these outstanding medical progresses on longevity and socio-economical challenges of extreme ageing are discussed in the world context...
- The role of human T-lymphocyte-monocyte contact in inflammation and tissue destructionDanielle Burger
Division of Immunology and Allergy, Clinical Immunology Unit, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Arthritis Res 4:S169-76. 2002..This review aims to summarize the state of the art and importance of contact-mediated monocyte activation by stimulated TL in cytokine production in rheumatoid arthritis and mechanisms that might control it...
- Impact of the "belly board" device on treatment reproducibility in preoperative radiotherapy for rectal cancerAbdelkarim S Allal
Radiation Oncology Division, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Strahlenther Onkol 178:259-62. 2002..This study was undertaken to investigate prospectively the influence of the BBD on treatment reproducibility in patients irradiated preoperatively in the prone position...
- HDL or not HDL, that is the questionRichard W James
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Faculty of Medicine, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Invest 32:223-4. 2002
- Antigen presentation in the lung: dendritic cells and macrophagesL P Nicod
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 17:246-55. 2000..Following the description of the differences in phenotype and functions of AM and DC, we will provide data showing that in some pathological conditions, such as sarcoidosis, AM can acquire some specificities of DC...
- Smoking, dietary calcium and vitamin D deficiency in women: a population-based studyA Morabia
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Nutr 54:684-9. 2000..To determine differences in dietary calcium and vitamin D intakes between female never, former and current smokers...
- [Concomitant strabismus: of strabismus in strabismus syndromes]A Roth
Clinique d ophtalmologie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 214:340-5. 1999....
- Genetic determinants of sleep regulation in inbred miceP Franken
Dept of Psychiatry, University of Geneva, Switzerland
Sleep 22:155-69. 1999..Therefore, this study provides a basis for the identification of genetic factors underlying sleep and its regulation...
- [Nationwide surveillance of nosocomial infections in Switzerland--methods and results of the Swiss Nosocomial Infection Prevalence Studies (SNIP) in 1999 and 2002]H Sax
Swiss NOSO surveillance, Infection Control Program, University of Geneva Hospitals
Ther Umsch 61:197-203. 2004..Using a coordinated approach within a national network, surveillance of nosocomial infections has established itself as an indispensible part of infection control and prevention in Swiss hospitals...
- [Neuropsychological test in daily practice]Jean Marie Annoni
Unité de Neuropsychologie, Clinique de Neurologie Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève
Rev Med Suisse Romande 123:263-7. 2003..g. language, memory...). Test results can also help to clarify the nature of cognitive difficulties and to support the formulation of plans for neuropsychological therapy and functional adjustment in every day life...
- [New treatments of schizophrenia]Francois Ferrero
HUG Département de psychiatrie 2, chemin du Petit Bel Air 1225 Chêne Bourg
Rev Med Suisse Romande 124:19-22. 2004..This work also reviews some of the difficulties connected to maintenance treatment and brings up the complex issue of the therapeutic approach of schizophrenic disorders...
- [Role of prescribing doctor in hyponatremic seizures of enuretic children on desmopressin]M Ecoffey
Hôpital Pourtalès, 45, rue de la Maladière, 2000 Neuchatel, Suisse
Arch Pediatr 13:262-5. 2006..Its side effects, notably neurological, are fortunately rare. We comment on 5 enuretic children on desmopressin who suffered from hyponatremic encephalopathy (natremia 115-127, median 117 mmol/l)...
- Islet transplantation: steeple chase and the next hurdleThierry Berney
Division of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Department of Surgery, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Transplantation 80:1658-9. 2005
- Investigation of implicit memory during isoflurane anesthesia for elective surgery using the process dissociation procedureIrène A Iselin-Chaves
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 103:925-33. 2005..This prospective study evaluated memory function during general anesthesia for elective surgery and its relation to depth of hypnotic state. The authors also compared memory function in anesthetized and nonanesthetized subjects...
- Clean care is safer care: the first global challenge of the WHO World Alliance for Patient SafetyDidier Pittet
Global Patient Safety Challenge, WHO World Alliance for Patient Safety, WHO Headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Infect Control 33:476-9. 2005
- How do junior doctors working in a multicultural context make sense of somatisation?Noelle Junod Perron
Policlinique de médecine, Department de Medecine communautaire, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 135:475-9. 2005..In situations where formal training is absent, the clinical context of informal learning is likely to have an important influence on junior doctors' evolving knowledge and practice...
- How to ablate left atrial flutterDipen Shah
Service de cardiologie, Hopital Cantonal de Geneve, Geneva, Switzerland
Heart Rhythm 2:1153-7. 2005
- [Talking about alcohol with patients who are not seeking treatment]F Guillo
Infirmier spécialiste clinique Alcoologie, Direction des soins infirmiers, HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 1:1712-6. 2005..Strategies to talk about alcohol issues with resistant to change patients are discussed...
- Informatics in radiology (infoRAD): benefits of content-based visual data access in radiologyHenning Muller
Service of Medical Informatics, University and University Hospitals of Geneva, 24 Rue Michelidu Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Radiographics 25:849-58. 2005..Nevertheless, content-based image retrieval has the potential to become an important technology for radiology practice...
- [Practical EKG problems in the aged. Case no. 1]V Trombert
Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Hôpital de gériatrie, 3, Chemin Pont Bochet, 1226 Thonex
Rev Med Suisse 1:326-7. 2005
- Cardiovascular response to acute normovolaemic haemodilution in patients with severe aortic stenosis: assessment with transoesophageal echocardiographyM Licker
Department of Anaesthesiology, Pharmacology and Surgical Intensive Care, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Anaesthesia 59:1170-7. 2004..However, this adaptive haemodynamic response was limited by less efficient LV stroke work due to dissipation of fluid kinetic energy...
- Prevalence, types and possible causes of insomnia in a Swiss remand prisonBernice S Elger
Médecine pénitentiaire et Institut universitaire de médecine légale, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Epidemiol 19:665-77. 2004..To determine the prevalence of insomnia complaints and possible causes among prisoners...
- National questionnaire survey on what influences doctors' decisions about admission to intensive careMonica Escher
Pain and Palliative Care Consultation, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Geneva University Hospitals, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
BMJ 329:425. 2004..To determine what influences doctors' decisions about admission of patients to intensive care...
- [Multiple sclerosis: current therapeutic strategies]Michel Chofflon
Clinique et Policlinique de Neurologie, Laboratoire de Neuroimmunologie, HUG, Geneve
Rev Med Suisse Romande 123:27-32. 2003
- Is the indicator dilution theory really the adequate base of many blood flow measurement techniques?P A Doriot
Cardiology Center, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
Med Phys 24:1889-98. 1997..Many flow measurement techniques thus appear to have no theoretical base...
- ISLET OF LANGERHANS GRAFT MONITORING BY MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGINGThierry Berney; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..