Genomes and Genes
Organization: University Hospital
- Physiology of diffuse esophageal spasm (DES)--when normal swallows are not normalC Krieger-Grübel
Department of Gastroenterology, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:1056-e279. 2010..The aim of this study was to examine the manometric characteristics of simultaneous and 'normal' swallows in patients with DES patients compared with normal controls...
- Emerging therapies for neovascular age-related macular degeneration: state of the artGuy Donati
Clinique d Ophtalmologie de Genève, HUG, Geneva, Switzerland
Ophthalmologica 221:366-77. 2007..Future treatment strategies are likely to include a combination of treatments to better manage AMD-associated choroidal neovascularisation and preserve patients' visual acuity...
- [Letter to Dame Suffering]Pierre de Vevey
Rev Med Suisse 3:1422. 2007
- The defense architecture of the human periimplant mucosa: a histological studyPeter Schupbach
Peter Schupbach Ltd, Research Laboratory for Microscopy and Histology, Horgen, Switzerland
J Prosthet Dent 97:S15-25. 2007..Detailed data regarding protection of the periimplant mucosa in patients with transmucosal implants are lacking...
- Superficial conjunctiva cauterization to reduce moderate conjunctivochalasisI O Haefliger
Oculoplastic and Lacrimal Surgery Department, University Eye Clinic, Basel, Switzerland
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 224:237-9. 2007..We report here a simple surgical approach to reduce moderate conjunctivochalasis...
- A surgical approach to treat chronic epiphora and/or muculopurulent discharge in patients with permeable lacrimal drainage systemI O Haefliger
Department of Oculoplastic and Lacrimal Surgery, University Eye Clinic, Basel, Switzerland
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 224:234-6. 2007....
- Indocyanine green angiography in Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease: angiographic signs and utility in patient follow-upCarl P Herbort
Inflammatory and Retinal Eye Diseases, Centre for Ophthalmic Specialized Care, La Source, Avenue des Bergières 2, Lausanne, 1004, Switzerland
Int Ophthalmol 27:173-82. 2007....
- Comparison of biomarkers in workers exposed to 2,4,6-trinitrotolueneG Sabbioni
Institute of Environmental and Occupational Toxicology, Airolo, Switzerland
Biomarkers 12:21-37. 2007..These results indicate that a set of well-selected biomarkers may be more informative regarding exposure and effect than routinely performed chemical measurements of pollutants in the air or on the skin...
- Cost-effectiveness of pharmacogenetic testing to predict treatment response to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitorMadlaina Costa-Scharplatz
Horten Centre for Patient Oriented Research, University of Zurich, Postfach Nord, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Pharmacogenet Genomics 17:359-68. 2007....
- Quality of life and morbidity after permanent sacral nerve stimulation for fecal incontinenceFranc H Hetzer
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Arch Surg 142:8-13. 2007..Permanent sacral nerve stimulation (SNS) is a promising emerging treatment for fecal incontinence. However, there is little data on morbidity and quality of life (QOL) during long-term stimulation...
- Circulating levels of copeptin, a novel biomarker, in lower respiratory tract infectionsB Muller
University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Invest 37:145-52. 2007..Lower respiratory tract infections (LRTI) are a precursor of sepsis. Thus, we investigated circulating levels and the prognostic use of copeptin for the severity and outcome in patients with LRTI...
- [Without nursing diagnoses nursing disappears (interview by Maria Muller Staub and Jurgen Georg)]Maria Müller Staub
Krankenpfl Soins Infirm 99:20-3. 2006
- Prehistory of the notion of circulating nucleic acids in plasma/serum (CNAPS): birth of a hypothesisMaurice Stroun
OncoXL, 14 Chemin des Aulx, 1228 Plan les Ouates Geneva, Switzerland
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1075:10-20. 2006....
- Does retrograde cerebral perfusion via superior vena cava cannulation protect the brain?Andreas Künzli
Department of Cardio Vascular Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois CHUV, Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:906-9. 2006..The retrograde cerebral perfusion via cannulation of the superior vena cava is a widespread method for optimising protection of the brain during hypothermic circulatory arrest...
- Ethnic-cultural background, maternal body size and pregnancy outcomes in a diverse Swiss cohortKatharina C Quack Loetscher
School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, 140 Warren Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Women Health 45:25-40. 2007..To investigate the influence of ethnic-cultural background and maternal body size on pregnancy outcomes in infants born at term...
- Protein quality control: the who's who, the where's and therapeutic escapesJürgen Roth
Division of Cell and Molecular Pathology, Department of Pathology, University of Zurich, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Histochem Cell Biol 129:163-77. 2008....
- Third trimester plasma neurokinin B levels in women with and without preeclampsiaVerena Geissbuehler
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Kantonsspital Frauenfeld, Spital Thurgau AG, Frauenfeld, Switzerland
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 21:95-100. 2008....
- Guidance from WHO on the prevention and control of TB during air travelLindsay Martinez
Stop TB Department, World Health Organization, Avenue Appia, Geneva, Switzerland
Travel Med Infect Dis 8:84-9. 2010....
- Outcome of sinonasal melanoma: clinical experience and review of the literatureThomas N Roth
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland
Head Neck 32:1385-92. 2010..There is neither a classification nor a staging system nor an evidence-based treatment concept established. Our objective was to find potential risk factors predicting the outcome...
- [Pelvic floor insuffiency - conservative treatments]Verena Geissbühler
Bethesda Spital, Basel
Ther Umsch 67:27-30. 2010..Usually all these treatments are combined. The success rate is between 40-70 %. Pessaries are the best choice for immediate relief of urinary stress incontinence and for reducing a prolapse...
- [Endometriosis: review of the literature and clinical management]J M Wenger
Département de Gynécologie et d Obstétrique, HUG, Geneva
Rev Med Suisse 5:2085-6, 2088-90. 2009..That is why a careful listening and clinical examination with appropriate investigations will improve our global care...
- [Depression in the elderly]V Lleshi
Psychiatrie psychothérapie de la personne âgée 10, avenue de la gare 1180 Rolle
Rev Med Suisse 5:1785-9. 2009..lts treatment calls for a careful pharmacological care and adaptation of the psychotherapeutic manageme..
- Neuronal protection by bioactive nutrientsHannes B Staehelin
Memory Clinic, Geriatric University Clinic, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 78:282-5. 2008..Observational studies show a reduced risk of AD in users of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Also omega-3 fatty acids are known to reduce cytokines could then lower the AD risk...
- [Fibro-osseous pseudotumor of the thumb. Report of a case]S Bettex
Service universitaire de chirurgie de la main, clinique et permanence Longeraie, 1003 Lausanne, Suisse
Chir Main 28:107-12. 2009..A complete excision was performed without loss of function. Fifteen months postoperatively, there was no local recurrence...
- Sonography of masses of the wrist and handStefano Bianchi
Clinique et fondation des Grangettes, 7, chemin des Grangettes, 1224 Geneva, Switzerland
AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:1767-75. 2008..The aim of this article is to present the sonographic appearance of the most common masses of the wrist and hand and to discuss the role of sonography in their diagnosis...
- Temporal trends, congener patterns, and sources of octa-, nona-, and decabromodiphenyl ethers (PBDE) and hexabromocyclododecanes (HBCD) in Swiss lake sedimentsMartin Kohler
Empa, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research, Uberlandstrasse 129, 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 42:6378-84. 2008....
- [Prevalence and causes of anemia in a city general practice]Ch M Merlo
Hausarztpraxis, Innere Medizin, Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 97:713-8. 2008..35% of patients had more than one cause of anemia. The results are compared with other sparse reports from general practices and are discussed regarding the particular situation in the elderly...
- Ankle dexterity remains intact in patients with incomplete spinal cord injury in contrast to stroke patientsBrigitte Wirth
Spinal Cord Injury Center, Balgrist University Hospital, Forchstrasse 340, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Exp Brain Res 191:353-61. 2008..In stroke patients, both dexterity and MMV were reduced. These differences might be considered in rehabilitation programs and regeneration therapies...
- Sudden death after open gastric bypass surgeryBettina Karin Wölnerhanssen
University Hospital of Basel, Spitalstrasse 21, 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Langenbecks Arch Surg 394:573-7. 2009..Am Surg, 73:959-962, 2007; Mason et al., Obes Surg, 17:9-14, 2007). Early symptoms are often missed, as clinical presentation may be discreet, inexistent or falsely attributed to obesity...
- Cardiomegaly in a premature neonate after venous umbilical catheterizationLuregn Jan Schlapbach
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Eur J Pediatr 168:107-9. 2009..The prompt removal of catheters and, if signs of cardiac tamponade are present, emergency pericardiocentesis may prove to be life-saving...
- [Cervicogenic headaches]F Regli
Clinique de Genolier, 1272 Genolier
Rev Med Suisse 2:2061-4. 2006..In chronic situations, psychosocial factors are important. The treatment must be considered individually. It is based on a pharmacological approach and, in selected cases, includes anaesthetic block...
- [A forum for nursing...a demonstration]Yves Frôté
HECV Santé, Lausanne
Krankenpfl Soins Infirm 99:48-51. 2006
- [Alternative obstetrics: bed, chair or tub? Have alternative birthing methods become established?]V Geissbühler
Kantonsspital, Spital Thurgau AG, Frauenklinik, Frauenfeld
Ther Umsch 59:689-95. 2002....
- Iron deficiency and anaemia in pregnancy: modern aspects of diagnosis and therapyChristian Breymann
Gynaecology and Feto Maternal Medicine, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Blood Cells Mol Dis 29:506-16; discussion 517-21. 2002..Our departmental data collected over 8 years and backed by postmarketing experience in 25 countries indicate that iron sucrose complex therapy is a valid first-line option for the safe and rapid reversal of iron-deficiency anemia...
- [Traps of tuberculosis among the aged: an astonishing cyst of left foot]Bernard Thiévent
Hôpitaux Régionaux Jurassiens
Rev Med Suisse Romande 122:531-3. 2002..We discuss the diagnosis difficulties of tuberculosis in the elderly, the extrapulmonary manifestations of tuberculosis and some aspects of its differential diagnosis with sarcoidosis...
- [Experimental animal research in the EU legislation]Gieri Bolliger
Stiftung für das Tier im Recht, CH Zurich
ALTEX 19:10-9. 2002....
- [MRI in spinal injuries]H Hawighorst
Abt Radiologie, Schweizer Paraplegiker Zentrum, Postfach, 6207 Nottwil Schweiz
Radiologe 41:1033-7. 2001..In this article we suggest the following terms to describe late complications of the spinal cord: syrinx, atrophy, cyst, malacia, disruption, and thethering...
- Effects of 5-aminolaevulinic acid on human ovarian cancer cells and human vascular endothelial cells in vitroS Sporri
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Bern, 3012, Bern, Switzerland
J Photochem Photobiol B 64:8-20. 2001..In addition, the ALA-induced PpIX cytotoxicity may be exported to a new chemotherapeutic regimen via a conventionally viewed photochemotherapeutic agent...
- [Effects of speech therapy with poetry on heart rate variability and well-being]D von Bonin
Abteilung für Anthroposophische Medizin, Kollegiale Instanz für Komplementärmedizin, Universitat Bern
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 8:144-60. 2001..Integer ratios occur frequently and seem to be associated with the optimization of physiological processes. In larger groups the average pulse respiration quotient is about 4:1...
- Whipple's disease and "Tropheryma whippelii"F Dutly
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Zurich, CH 8028 Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Microbiol Rev 14:561-83. 2001..Further studies of the pathogen "T. whippelii" as well as the host immune response are needed to fully understand this fascinating disease. The recent cultivation of the organisms is a promising major step in this direction...
- [The use of memoprint in the cat]J D Curtet
Cabinet vétérinaire des Sources, Geneve
Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 143:241-7. 2001..An analysis of the variance of the values of blood pressure shows their direct relationship with age, sex, breed and style of life of the cats and an increase in pressure in those over ten years of age...
- Acute myeloid leukemia in the elderly: results of an individualized approach in two centresV Spataro
Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland, Division of Oncology, Ospedale San Giovanni, Bellinzona
Leuk Lymphoma 39:521-30. 2000..This analysis also suggests that differences in outcome between single institutions can be explained mainly by referral and selection biases..
- Randomised controlled trial of three day versus 10 day intravenous antibiotics in acute pyelonephritis: effect on renal scarringD Benador
Department of Paediatrics, Cantonal University Hospital, 6 Rue Willy Donze, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Arch Dis Child 84:241-6. 2001..Acute pyelonephritis often leaves children with permanent renal scarring...
- The indigenous fisherman divers of Thailand: diving-related mortality and morbidityD Gold
International Labour Office, Geneva, Switzerland
Int J Occup Saf Ergon 6:147-67. 2000..Improved primary prevention and medical treatment are needed to reduce mortality and morbidity among this population...
- Endurance sports after total knee replacement: a biomechanical investigationM S Kuster
Klinik fur Orthopadische Chirurgie, Kantonsspital, St Gallen, Switzerland
Med Sci Sports Exerc 32:721-4. 2000..It was the purpose of the present study to evaluate the contact stress distribution and contact area of different knee joint designs for loads that occur during four common recreational endurance activities...
- [Bone mass in amputees]A Chantraine
Universite de Geneve, avenue Beauséjour, CH1211, Geneve, Suisse
Ann Readapt Med Phys 46:31-2. 2003
- Accuracy of frontal and sagittal plane correction in open-wedge high tibial osteotomyChristoph B Marti
Orthopedic Department, Hopital Cantonal, Fribourg, Switzerland
Arthroscopy 20:366-72. 2004..This study was performed to determine the accuracy of correction in the frontal plane and to evaluate whether a frontal plane correction influences the sagittal slope of the proximal tibial surface in open-wedge high tibial osteotomy...
- Improved skin flap survival after local heat preconditioning in pigsY Harder
Division of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Aesthetic Surgery, University Hospital, CH 3010 Berne, Switzerland
J Surg Res 119:100-5. 2004..The aim of this study was to test in a large, randomized animal model, if skin flap survival may be improved by local heat preconditioning and induction of HSP 70...
- [Accidental hypothermia: an extreme case of successful resuscitation]A F Mayor Pleines
Centre interdisciplinaire des urgences, CHUV, Lausanne
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:1075-9. 2006..In this article we summarise the signs and symptoms of hypothermia, the treatment of a patient with hypothermia and the different rewarming strategies, based on the current literature on the subject...
- Inter- and intraobserver variability in sonographic measurement of the lower uterine segment after a previous Cesarean sectionN Jastrow
Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 27:420-4. 2006..To evaluate the reproducibility of sonographic measurement of the lower uterine segment in pregnant women at term...
- [A fragment or the difference plays the principal role]Dominique Pilloud
Krankenpfl Soins Infirm 99:56-7. 2006
- Chance, choice and control: lay debate on prenatal social sex selectionJackie Leach Scully
Unit for Ethics in the Biosciences, University of Basel, 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Soc Sci Med 63:21-31. 2006..Our study also shows that in appropriately structured discussion of bioethical issues, lay people can articulate reasons for their opinions that are grounded in sophisticated and morally relevant concepts...
- Comparison of six radiographic projections to assess femoral head/neck asphericityDominik C Meyer
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Balgrist University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Orthop Relat Res 445:181-5. 2006..Level of Evidence: Prognostic study, level II-1 (retrospective study)...
- Creativity with dementia patients. Can creativity and art stimulate dementia patients positively?Beat Ted Hannemann
Art and Age Consulting, Basel, Switzerland
Gerontology 52:59-65. 2006....
- The pineal aging and death program: life prolongation in pre-aging pinealectomized miceWalter Pierpaoli
Walter Pierpaoli Foundation of Life Sciences, Orvieto, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1057:133-44. 2005..In fact new experiments showed that an additional pineal gland from a young donor, when grafted into a young mouse, induces acceleration of aging. The significance of these intriguing findings is discussed...
- Restoration of hepatic mast cells and expression of a different mast cell protease phenotype in regenerating rat liver after 70%-hepatectomyMartin Zweifel
Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Immunol Cell Biol 83:587-95. 2005....
- Biomechanical relevance of glenoid component positioning in the reverse Delta III total shoulder prosthesisRichard W Nyffeler
Orthopaedic Hospital, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:524-8. 2005..Placing the glenosphere distally (test configuration C) significantly improved adduction and abduction angles compared with all other test configurations (P < .001)...
- Snowboarder's talus fracture: treatment outcome of 20 cases after 3.5 yearsVictor Valderrabano
Orthopaedic Traumatology Clinic, Hospital of Davos, 7270 Davos Platz, Switzerland
Am J Sports Med 33:871-80. 2005..Fracture of the lateral process of the talus is a typical snowboarding injury. Basic data are limited, particularly with respect to treatment and outcome...
- [Treatment of atopic dermatitis: practical approach]G Rossetti
Rev Med Suisse 1:501-4. 2005..AD is often the first manifestation of atopy: the physician should be aware of the future occurence of respiratory symptoms...
- [Giant pedunculated cavernous hepatic haemangioma: a case report and review of the literature]Cécile Guenot
Service de Chirurgie, Ensemble hospitalier de la Côte, Hôpital de Morges, 1110 Morges, Suisse
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 28:807-10. 2004..Age, incidence and size of the lesion were the same as results in the literature. Our patient has had a left hepatic lobectomy because of an uncertain diagnosis. We discuss the diagnosis and the different treatments...
- The Sachs report: Investing in Health for Economic Development--or increasing the size of the crumbs from the rich man's table? Part IAlison Katz
Int J Health Serv 34:751-73. 2004..A set of assumptions deriving from a neoliberal approach to health underlies the report. The author proposes an alternative set of assumptions deriving from a social justice and human rights-based approach to health...
- The benefits of wearing a compression sleeve after ACL reconstructionM S Kuster
Klinik fur Orthopadische Chirurgie, Kantonsspital, St Gallen, Switzerland
Med Sci Sports Exerc 31:368-71. 1999..It was the purpose of the present study to examine the possibility of increased muscle coordination after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction through the wearing of a compression sleeve...