Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- An integrated image analysis platform to quantify signal transduction in single cellsSerge Pelet
ETH Zurich, Institute of Biochemistry, Schafmattstr 18, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Integr Biol (Camb) 4:1274-82. 2012..Such dynamic single cell measurements are highly needed to establish mathematical models of signal transduction pathways...
- Comparing the quantification of Forster resonance energy transfer measurement accuracies based on intensity, spectral, and lifetime imagingSerge Pelet
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Biomed Opt 11:34017. 2006..The latter proves to be the best method to quantify FRET efficiency in the image. More importantly, the intensity fraction of molecules undergoing FRET can be quantitatively measured in each pixel of the image...
- Transient activation of the HOG MAPK pathway regulates bimodal gene expressionSerge Pelet
ETH Zurich, Department of Biology, Institute of Biochemistry, Schafmattstrasse 18, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Science 332:732-5. 2011..Together, these findings provide a molecular mechanism by which a cell can impose a transcriptional threshold in response to a linear signaling behavior...
- Scalable inference of heterogeneous reaction kinetics from pooled single-cell recordingsChristoph Zechner
Automatic Control Lab, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Nat Methods 11:197-202. 2014..We use the method to reconstruct the expression dynamics of a gene under an inducible promoter in yeast from time-lapse microscopy data. ..
- A Cellular System for Spatial Signal Decoding in Chemical GradientsBjörn Hegemann
Department of Biology, Institute of Biochemistry, ETH Zurich, Otto Stern Weg 3, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland Electronic address
Dev Cell 35:458-70. 2015..Our work discovers how a conserved set of components assembles a network integrating signal intensity and directionality to decode the spatial information contained in chemical gradients. ..
- Moment-based inference predicts bimodality in transient gene expressionChristoph Zechner
Automatic Control Laboratory, ETH Zurich, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:8340-5. 2012..Our results show that measurements of the mean and the variance can be enough to determine the model parameters, even if the measured distributions are not well-characterized by low-order moments only--e.g., if they are bimodal...
- Parallel feedback loops control the basal activity of the HOG MAPK signaling cascadeHoda Sharifian
Institute of Biochemistry, Department of Biology, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Integr Biol (Camb) 7:412-22. 2015....
- Quantitative and dynamic assay of single cell chemotaxisSung Sik Lee
Institute of Biochemistry, ETH Zurich, Zurich, CH 8093, Switzerland
Integr Biol (Camb) 4:381-90. 2012....
- Cytosolic pH is a second messenger for glucose and regulates the PKA pathway through V-ATPaseReinhard Dechant
Institute of Biochemistry, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
EMBO J 29:2515-26. 2010..Thus, these data suggest a novel and potentially conserved glucose-sensing pathway and identify a mechanism how cytosolic pH can act as a signal to promote cell growth...
- Quantifying intracellular protein binding thermodynamics during mechanotransduction based on FRET spectroscopyNur Aida Abdul Rahim
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, United States
Methods 66:208-21. 2014....
- Methodological considerations for global analysis of cellular FLIM/FRET measurementsNur Aida Adbul Rahim
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Mechanical Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Biomed Opt 17:026013. 2012....
- Spectrally resolved fluorescence correlation spectroscopy based on global analysisMichael J R Previte
Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Anal Chem 80:3277-84. 2008..We have demonstrated that the global analysis approach allows the concentration and diffusion coefficients of fluorescent particles to be resolved despite the presence of overlapping emission spectra...
- Dynamic processes at stress promoters regulate the bimodal expression of HOG response genesSerge Pelet
Institute of Biochemistry, Department of Biology, ETHZ Competence Center for Systems Physiology and Metabolic Diseases CC SPMD Zürich, Switzerland
Commun Integr Biol 4:699-702. 2011..Interestingly, a slow stochastic gene activation process is responsible for setting a tunable threshold for gene expression under basal or low stress conditions, which generates a bimodal expression pattern at intermediate stress levels...