Affiliation: Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- Dopamine, paranormal belief, and the detection of meaningful stimuliPeter Krummenacher
University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
J Cogn Neurosci 22:1670-81. 2010..These results stand at odd to the common view that DA generally improves signal-to-noise ratios. Paranormal ideation seems an important personality dimension and should be assessed in investigations on the detection of signals in noise...
- Expectancy-induced placebo analgesia in children and the role of magical thinkingPeter Krummenacher
Department of Psychology, Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland Collegium Helveticum, University of Zurich and ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland brainability LLC, Zurich, Switzerland Electronic address
J Pain 15:1282-93. 2014..The findings may help improve individualized pain management for children...
- [Prefrontal cortex mediated control of expectations in placebo analgesia]P Krummenacher
Collegium Helveticum, ETH Zürich and Universität Zürich
Schmerz 25:440-3. 2011..These findings suggest that expectation-induced placebo analgesia is mediated by symmetric prefrontal cortex function. Possible implications for medical practice and clinical trial research will be discussed in the article...
- Placebo-mediated, Naloxone-sensitive suggestibility of short-term memory performanceJair Stern
Collegium Helveticum, ETH and University of Zurich, Schmelzbergstr 25, 8092 CH Zurich, Switzerland
Neurobiol Learn Mem 95:326-34. 2011..These results indicate an opioid-mediated placebo effect within a circumscribed cognitive domain in healthy volunteers...
- Naloxone modulates visual judgments of similarity but not dissimilarityPeter Krummenacher
Department of Neurology, Neuropsychology Unit, University Hospital Zurich, 8091, Zurich, Switzerland
Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci 13:567-74. 2013..The task introduced here could be used for the implicit study and quantification of subtle affective-cognitive processes beyond the level of mere questionnaire data...
- Implicit learning of sequential bias in a guessing task: failure to demonstrate effects of dopamine administration and paranormal beliefJohn Palmer
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Conscious Cogn 16:498-506. 2007..None of the hypotheses were supported by the data. It is suggested that a simple binary guessing task with a focus on prediction accuracy during early trials should be considered for future explorations...
- Prefrontal cortex modulates placebo analgesiaPeter Krummenacher
Collegium Helveticum, Schmelzbergstrasse 25, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Pain 148:368-74. 2010..While rTMS did not affect pain experience, it completely blocked placebo analgesia. These findings suggest that expectation-induced placebo analgesia is mediated by symmetric prefrontal cortex function...
- Moderation of antidepressant and placebo outcomes by baseline severity in late-life depression: A systematic review and meta-analysisCosima Locher
Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland Electronic address
J Affect Disord 181:50-60. 2015..Baseline severity is a crucial moderator of trial outcomes in adult depression, with the advantage of antidepressants over placebo increasing as severity increases. However, this relationship has not been examined in late-life depression...
- Impact of short-term meditation and expectation on executive brain functionsMartin Prätzlich
Division of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Department of Psychology, University of Basel, Missionsstrasse 60 62, 4055 Basel, Switzerland Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychiatric University Clinics, Schanzenstrasse 13, 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Behav Brain Res 297:268-76. 2016..It also indicates that suggestions can modulate the small effect of meditation on verbal fluency...