Affiliation: Psychiatric University Clinics
- Association between methadone dose and concomitant cocaine use in methadone maintenance treatment: a register-based studyMarcus Baumeister
Outpatient Addiction Treatment Center Reinach, Psychiatry Baselland, Baselstrasse 1, 4153 Reinach, Switzerland
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 9:46. 2014..Data from European methadone populations is sparse. This register-based study sought to explore the association between prescribed methadone dose and concomitant cocaine and heroin use in the methadone population of Basel City...
- There is no age limit for methadone: a retrospective cohort studyKenneth M Dursteler-MacFarland
Division of Substance Use Disorders, Psychiatric Hospital of the University of Basel, Wilhelm Klein Strasse 27, 4012 Basel, Switzerland
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 6:9. 2011..Data from European methadone populations is sparse. This retrospective cohort study sought to evaluate the age trends and related developments in the methadone population of Basel-City, Switzerland...
- Tobacco smoking and depression--results from the WHO/ISBRA studyG A Wiesbeck
Psychiatric University Clinics, Basel, Switzerland
Neuropsychobiology 57:26-31. 2008..To elucidate the relationship between tobacco smoking and depression, and to estimate the impact of other substance dependencies...
- A three-axes approach of subtyping the alcohol dependence syndromeGerhard A Wiesbeck
Division of Substance Use Disorders, Psychiatric University Hospital, CH 4025 Basel, Switzerland
Psychopathology 38:91-6. 2005..The result emphasizes the usefulness of multidimensional approaches integrating personality, clinical and neurobiological characteristics...
- [New developments in the pharmacotherapy of cocaine dependence]G Wiesbeck
Bereich Abhängigkeitserkrankungen, Universitäre Psychiatrische Kliniken Basel, Switzerland
Nervenarzt 77:1064, 1066-70. 2006..Pilot studies indicate that vigabatrin, selegiline, and topiramate are promising candidates for further clinical substance testing...
- Social factors but not stress-coping styles predict relapse in detoxified alcoholicsMarc Walter
Division of Substance Use Disorders, University Psychiatric Clinics, Wilhelm Klein Strasse 27, 4025 Basel, Switzerland
Neuropsychobiology 54:100-6. 2006..These findings suggest that a partnership is more relevant for the risk of relapse than stress coping styles...
- Benzodiazepine prescribing to the Swiss adult population: results from a national survey of community pharmaciesSylvie Petitjean
Division of Substance Use Disorders, University Psychiatric Clinics Basel, Wilhelm Klein Strasse 27, CH 4025 Basel, Switzerland
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 22:292-8. 2007..The purpose of the study was to assess prevalence of benzodiazepine use in the Swiss adult population and to assess on benzodiazepine prescription patterns of physicians in domiciliary practice...
- A clinical lesson: glioblastoma multiforme masquerading as depression in a chronic alcoholicBenedikt Habermeyer
Psychiatric University Clinic, University of Basel, Switzerland
Alcohol Alcohol 43:31-3. 2008..To highlight the need to consider other medical conditions when the presentation initially appears to be alcohol-related...
- Measurement of direct ethanol metabolites in a case of a former driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol offender, now claiming abstinenceFriedrich M Wurst
Psychiatric University Hospital, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Int J Legal Med 122:235-9. 2008..A careful individual interpretation of the results for the different markers, however, is an absolute necessity...
- Psychobiological responses to drug cues before and after methadone intake in heroin-dependent patients: a pilot studyMarc Walter
Psychiatric University Clinics, Division of Substance Use Disorders, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:390-3. 2008..Patients displayed blunted cortisol response after post-methadone drug cues (t=3.05, p=0.008) suggesting dissociated craving and cortisol reactivity after methadone intake of possible clinical relevance...
- Controlled study on the combined effect of alcohol and tobacco smoking on testosterone in alcohol-dependent menMarc Walter
Division of Substance Use Disorders, Psychiatric University Clinics, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Alcohol Alcohol 42:19-23. 2007..The present study examined the association between pre-treatment drinking and smoking parameters and plasma testosterone levels before and after alcohol withdrawal...
- Cortisol concentrations, stress-coping styles after withdrawal and long-term abstinence in alcohol dependenceMarc Walter
Division of Substance Use Disorders, Psychiatric University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Addict Biol 11:157-62. 2006..The lower cortisol concentration in CSF as an indicator for HPA axis functioning is associated with long-term abstinence in detoxified alcoholics...
- On sensitivity, specificity, and the influence of various parameters on ethyl glucuronide levels in urine--results from the WHO/ISBRA studyFriedrich Martin Wurst
Psychiatric University Hospital, University of Basel, Switzerland
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:1220-8. 2004..Our aim was to study sensitivity, specificity, and the influence of various parameters on EtG levels in urine...
- World Health Organization/International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism study on state and trait markers of alcohol use and dependence: back to the futureFriedrich M Wurst
Psychiatric University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:1268-75. 2005
- Comorbid alcohol and nicotine dependence: from the biomolecular basis to clinical consequencesNassima Ait-Daoud
Department of Psychiatric Medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville 22908 0623, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:1541-9. 2005..Lesch, MD, PhD; and (5) Pharmacotherapy for Promotion of Abstinence from Nicotine Among Alcohol-Dependent Individuals, by Bankole A. Johnson, DSc, MD, PhD...
- A functional polymorphism in the promoter region of the monoamine oxidase A gene is associated with the cigarette smoking quantity in alcohol-dependent heavy smokersGerhard A Wiesbeck
Division of Substance Use Disorders, Psychiatric University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland gerhard wiesbeck upkbs ch
Neuropsychobiology 53:181-5. 2006..Taken together, in alcohol-dependent heavily smoking men there is evidence for a MAO-A gene-associated effect on the quantity that is smoked as reflected by the daily number of cigarettes consumed...
- No significant effect of acute moderate alcohol intake on leptin levels in healthy male volunteersGerhard Dammann
Psychiatric University Clinic, Basel, Switzerland
Addict Biol 10:357-64. 2005..The data do not support the hypothesis of a significant effect of acute moderate alcohol intake on leptin levels in healthy volunteers...
- Gender differences for ghrelin levels in alcohol-dependent patients and differences between alcoholics and healthy controlsFriedrich M Wurst
Psychiatric University Clinic, University of Basel, Switzerland
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:2006-11. 2007..Since data published to date on the potential role of ghrelin as state and/or trait marker in alcoholism and the association with craving are controversial, we aimed at further elucidating these aspects...
- No association of dopamine receptor sensitivity in vivo with genetic predisposition for alcoholism and DRD2/DRD3 gene polymorphisms in alcohol dependenceGerhard A Wiesbeck
Division of Substance Use Disorders, Psychiatric University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Addict Biol 11:72-5. 2006....
- Manifestations of early brain recovery associated with abstinence from alcoholismAndreas J Bartsch
University of Wurzburg, Department of Neuroradiology, Wurzburg, Germany
Brain 130:36-47. 2007..Further understanding of the precise mechanisms of this recovery may become a valuable model of brain regeneration with relevance for other disorders...
- Spontaneous spinal subarachnoid haemorrhage--a complication of alcohol withdrawal therapyOzgur Yaldizli
Department of Neurology, Kantonsspital St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland
Drug Alcohol Rev 27:429-32. 2008..Non-traumatic spontaneous idiopathic spinal subarachnoid haemorrhage (SSH) is extremely rare. So far, only 12 cases have been described in the literature and there are no data regarding the association between alcohol dependence and SSH...
- Serotonin transporter gene polymorphism and personality traits in primary alcohol dependenceGerhard A Wiesbeck
Department of Substance Use Disorders, Psychiatric University Clinic, University of Basel, Switzerland
World J Biol Psychiatry 5:45-8. 2004..This gives support to the hypothesis that the TCI temperament Harm Avoidance is associated with serotonergic neurotransmission in primary alcohol dependence...
- Electrophysiological indication for a link between serotonergic neurotransmission and personality in alcoholismMartin J Herrmann
Psychiatric Neurophysiology, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital of Wuerzburg, Germany
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 26:157-61. 2002..55, P<.01) at Day 40, but neither on Day 10 nor with the other personality dimensions. We conclude, that the intensity dependence reflects the serotonergic neurotransmission in withdrawn alcohol-dependent patients...