Affiliation: Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois
- [Doctor, I have a lymph node]Jacques Bille
Institut de Microbiologie, Département de pathologie et de médecine de laboratoire, CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 5:710-5. 2009..If present, these signs will trigger a biopsy with cyto- or histopathological examination mostly to rule out a malignant tumor. This article reviews the practical steps of an investigation of an isolated adenopathy in an adult patient...
- Diagnosis of invasive candidiasis in the ICUPhilippe Eggimann
Adult Critical Care Medicine and Burn Centre, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois CHUV BH 08 619, Bugnon 46 CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Ann Intensive Care 1:37. 2011....
- Cardiac involvement in a patient with clinical and serological evidence of African tick-bite feverCristina Bellini
Infectious Diseases Unit, University Hospital of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
BMC Infect Dis 5:90. 2005..conorii. African tick-bite fever (ATBF) is generally considered as a benign disease and no cases of myocardial involvement due to Rickettsia africae, the agent of ATBF, have yet been described...
- Bloodstream and endovascular infections due to Abiotrophia defectiva and Granulicatella speciesLaurence Senn
Infectious Diseases Service, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
BMC Infect Dis 6:9. 2006..In this study, we reviewed the clinical manifestations of infections due to A. defectiva and Granulicatella species that occurred at our institution between 1998 and 2004...
- New nonculture-based methods for the diagnosis of invasive candidiasisJacques Bille
Institute of Microbiology, University Hospital CHUV, Lausanne, Switzerland
Curr Opin Crit Care 16:460-4. 2010..The purpose of this article is to review recent contributions in the nonconventional diagnostic approaches of invasive candidiasis, both for the detection of the epidose and the characterization of the etiologic agent...
- Comparison of automated strategies for surveillance of nosocomial bacteremiaCristina Bellini
Service de Médecine Préventive Hospitalière CHUV, Rue du Bugnon 46, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:1030-5. 2007..Surveillance of nosocomial bloodstream infection (BSI) is recommended, but time-consuming. We explored strategies for automated surveillance...
- Etiology of community-acquired pneumonia in hospitalized children based on WHO clinical guidelinesManon Cevey-Macherel
Child and Adolescent Department, Lausanne University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Pediatr 168:1429-36. 2009..The high proportion of pneumococcal infections re-emphasizes the importance of pneumococcal immunization...
- False-negative PCR result due to gene polymorphism: the example of Neisseria meningitidisKatia Jaton
Institute of Microbiology, University Hospital of Lausanne CHUV, Bugnon 48, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 48:4590-1. 2010..Etiological diagnosis then mainly relies on PCR. Here, we report a case of false-negative results for real-time PCR for a Neisseria meningitidis serogroup B isolate with a polymorphism in the ctrA gene...
- Development of a multiplex real-time quantitative PCR assay to detect Chlamydia pneumoniae, Legionella pneumophila and Mycoplasma pneumoniae in respiratory tract secretionsMartine Welti
Institute of Microbiology, University Hospital of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 45:85-95. 2003..Of 19 serology-positive patients, 14 were confirmed by the multiplex real-time PCR to be infected by either one of the three pathogens. All samples from serology-negative patients were negative with the multiplex real-time PCR...
- Multiplex ultra-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for simultaneous quantification in human plasma of fluconazole, itraconazole, hydroxyitraconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole, voriconazole-N-oxide, anidulafungin, and caspoLaurent Arthur Decosterd
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, BH18, Lab 218 226, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:5303-15. 2010....
- Ultra-performance liquid chromatography mass spectrometry and sensitive bioassay methods for quantification of posaconazole plasma concentrations after oral dosingBertrand Rochat
Quantitative Mass Spectrometry Facility, Faculty of Biology and Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Rue du Bugnon 46, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:5074-81. 2010..5 μg/ml. The UPLC-MS/MS method and sensitive bioassay offer alternative tools for accurate and precise quantification of the plasma concentrations in patients receiving oral posaconazole...
- Outbreak of Mycobacterium haemophilum infections after permanent makeup of the eyebrowsStefano Giulieri
Infectious Diseases Service, Department of Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 52:488-91. 2011..Twelve patients presented an eyebrow lesion and cervical lymphadenitis. All were treated with antibiotics. Surgery was required in 10 cases. M. haemophilum DNA was identified in the make-up ink...
- First case of bacteremia and multifocal cellulitis due to Helicobacter canis in an immunocompetent patientCorinne Leemann
Infectious Diseases Service, University Hospital, CHUV BH 07 865, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 44:4598-600. 2006..Here we report on the first human case of H. canis bacteremia in an immunocompetent host. Identification of the organism was made by genetic and phylogenetic analyses of the complete 16S rRNA sequence...
- Histoplasma capsulatum var. duboisii infection in a patient with AIDS: rapid diagnosis using polymerase chain reaction-sequencingCyril Pellaton
Infectious Diseases Service, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, University of Lausanne, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 64:85-9. 2009..The variety duboisii of Hc was established using DNA sequencing of the polymorphic genomic region OLE. Molecular tools allow diagnosis of histoplasmosis in 24 h, which is drastically shorter than culture procedures...
- Epidemiology of candidemia in Swiss tertiary care hospitals: secular trends, 1991-2000Oscar Marchetti
Infectious Diseases Service, Department of Internal Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 38:311-20. 2004..krusei remained rare (2%). Fluconazole consumption increased significantly (P<.001). Despite increasing high-risk activities, the incidence of candidemia remained unchanged, and no shift to resistant species occurred...
- Prospective determination of plasma imipenem concentrations in critically ill childrenEric Giannoni
Department of Pediatrics, CHUV, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2563-8. 2006..To avoid subtherapeutic drug levels, we recommend treatment with at least 100 mg/kg of body weight/day of imipenem-cilastatin for critically ill children requiring such therapy...
- [Diagnosis of invasive fungal infections]Jacques Bille
Institut de Microbiologie, CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 1:904-6, 909. 2005..Among these still experimental methods, the serial detection of galactomannane in the serum of at risk patients is now considered as a useful adjunct for the early diagnosis of invasive aspergillosis...
- Association between a specific Pneumocystis jiroveci dihydropteroate synthase mutation and failure of pyrimethamine/sulfadoxine prophylaxis in human immunodeficiency virus-positive and -negative patientsAimable Nahimana
Hospital of Preventive Medicine, Lausanne University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 188:1017-23. 2003..Hospitalization in a specific hospital was an independent risk factor for having P. jiroveci harboring the same DHPS mutation, which indirectly supports that interhuman transmission may affect the dissemination of the mutant strains...
- Risk for Pneumocystis carinii transmission among patients with pneumonia: a molecular epidemiology studyElodie Senggen Manoloff
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Emerg Infect Dis 9:132-4. 2003..Our analysis suggests that transmission from patients with active PCP to susceptible persons caused only a few, if any, PCP cases in our setting...
- Percentage, bacterial etiology and antibiotic susceptibility of acute respiratory infection and pneumonia among children in rural SenegalPablo Echave
Department of Pediatrics, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Trop Pediatr 49:28-32. 2003..Comorbidities (tuberculosis, malaria, HIV-AIDS, severe malnutrition) are determinant variables in many ARI cases and carry a high negative prognosis value...
- Calcineurin A of Candida albicans: involvement in antifungal tolerance, cell morphogenesis and virulenceDominique Sanglard
Institute of Microbiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois CHUV, Rue du Bugnon 44, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Mol Microbiol 48:959-76. 2003..Finally, calcineurin was found to be necessary for the virulence of C. albicans in a mice model of infection, thus making calcineurin an important element for adequate adaptation to the conditions of the host environment...
- Interhuman transmission as a potential key parameter for geographical variation in the prevalence of Pneumocystis jirovecii dihydropteroate synthase mutationsPhilippe M Hauser
Institute of Microbiology, Swiss HIV Cohort Study, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 51:e28-33. 2010..This retrospective study sought to better understand the geographical variation in the prevalence of these mutations...
- Matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry for direct bacterial identification from positive blood culture pelletsGuy Prod'hom
Institute of Microbiology, University of Lausanne and University Hospital Center, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 48:1481-3. 2010..Identification was obtained for 78.7% of the pellets tested. Moreover, 99% of the MALDI-TOF identifications were congruent at the species level when considering valid scores. This fast and accurate method is promising...
- Site-directed mutagenesis of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae dihydropteroate synthase FOL1 gene to study Pneumocystis jirovecii mutations in the orthologue gene FASIsabelle Meneau
Microbiology Institute, University Hospital, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Eukaryot Microbiol 50:652-3. 2003
- Mutations of Pneumocystis jirovecii dihydrofolate reductase associated with failure of prophylaxisAimable Nahimana
Institute of Microbiology, University Hospital of Lausanne, Rue du Bugnon 48, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4301-5. 2004..The results suggest that P. jirovecii populations may evolve under selective pressure from DHFR inhibitors, in particular pyrimethamine, and that DHFR mutations may contribute to P. jirovecii drug resistance...
- Detection of four Plasmodium species in blood from humans by 18S rRNA gene subunit-based and species-specific real-time PCR assaysMathieu Rougemont
Institute of Microbiology, University Hospital of Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 42:5636-43. 2004..This suggests a role of quantitative PCR for the monitoring of patients receiving antimalaria therapy...
- 1,3-Beta-D-glucan antigenemia for early diagnosis of invasive fungal infections in neutropenic patients with acute leukemiaLaurence Senn
Infectious Diseases Service, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 46:878-85. 2008..The aim of the present prospective study was to evaluate the usefulness of monitoring BG in patients undergoing chemotherapy for acute leukemia...
- A novel real-time PCR to detect Chlamydia trachomatis in first-void urine or genital swabsKatia Jaton
Institute of Microbiology, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Med Microbiol 55:1667-74. 2006..trachomatis. Given its high throughput potential and low costs/laboratory technician time requirement, it may be useful for future use in large C. trachomatis screening programs...
- Changing face of health-care associated fungal infectionsJacques Bille
Institute of Microbiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Curr Opin Infect Dis 18:314-9. 2005..The purpose of this review was to evaluate recent publications on the epidemiology, diagnosis and management of invasive fungal infections...
- Epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: results of a nation-wide survey in SwitzerlandDominique S Blanc
Division Autonome de Médecine Préventive Hospitalière, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 132:223-9. 2002..To assess the epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in Switzerland...