Genomes and Genes
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois
Organization: Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois
- Long-term and long-range migration of radioactive fallout in a Karst systemPascal Froidevaux
University Institute of Radiation Physics, University of Lausanne, University Hospital Center, Lausanne, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 44:8479-84. 2010..The higher plutonium to americium isotopic ratio found in the samples of spring water and mosses at the outlet of the karst shows that plutonium mobility is enhanced...
- Reduction of Helicobacter infection in IL-10-/- mice is dependent on CD4+ T cells but not on mast cellsDominique Velin
Service de gastro entérologie et d hépatologie, Centre Hospitalier Uniersitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Helicobacter 13:361-9. 2008..In contrast to wild type, interleukin-10-deficient (IL-10(-/-)) mice are able to clear Helicobacter infection. In this study, we investigated the immune response of IL-10(-/-) mice leading to the reduction of Helicobacter infection...
- The influence of attachment on perceived stress and cortisol response to acute stress in women sexually abused in childhood or adolescenceBlaise Pierrehumbert
Lausanne University, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, SUPEA, 25a rue du Bugnon, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Psychoneuroendocrinology 34:924-38. 2009....
- Low-dose cidofovir for the treatment of polyomavirus-associated nephropathy: two case reports and review of the literatureFrederic Lamoth
Infectious Diseases Service, Department of Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Antivir Ther 13:1001-9. 2008....
- Delineating dementia with lewy bodies: can magnetic resonance imaging help?Armin von Gunten
Service de Psychiatrie de l Age Avancé, Departement de Psychiatrie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Prilly, Switzerland
Front Neurol Neurosci 24:126-34. 2009..However, in order to become accepted as part of standard care, these techniques must still prove their effectiveness under routine conditions such as those encountered by the general practitioner...
- Successful DNA typing of ultrafiltered urines used to detect EPO dopingV Castella
Laboratoire de Génétique Forensique, Institut Universitaire de Medecine Legale, Rue du Bugnon 21, 1005 Lausanne, Switzerland
Forensic Sci Int Genet 1:281-2. 2007..Contrastingly, mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) profiles were obtained for 9 out of the 10 retentates. Apart from some particularities, retentate mtDNA profiles were all distinct and matched mtDNA profiles of corresponding reference samples...
- Deteriorated visual backward masking in the shine-through effect in adolescents with psychosisLaurent Holzer
Centre Thérapeutique de Jour pour Adolescents, Service universitaire de psychiatrie de l enfant et de l adolescent, 1012 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 31:641-7. 2009..Adolescents with psychosis were strongly impaired in the shine-through effect compared to controls. This result adds further evidence that backward masking is an endophenotype of schizophrenia...
- [Osgood-Schlatter disease]Bernardo Vargas
Unité pédiatrique d orthopédie et traumatologie UPCOT, Hôpital de l enfance, CHUV, Chemin de Montétan, 16, 1000 Lausanne 7
Rev Med Suisse 4:2060-3. 2008..Knee pain stops at the end of the growth. Long-term outcome is good for the majority of the patients. Some studies suggest a patella alta at the end of the growth, without an established correlation with knee arthritis...
- Bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (BPI) and BPI homologs at mucosal sitesGeraldine Canny
Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics and Medical Genetics, Central University Hospital of Vaud CHUV, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Trends Immunol 29:541-7. 2008..Congeners of BPI are under biopharmaceutical development as novel anti-infective agents, highlighting the potential therapeutic relevance of this protein family...
- [Female genital mutilation--need for answers at the age of adolescence]Saira Christine Renteria
Département de gynécologie obstétrique, c o UMSA, CHUV, Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 4:1445-6,1448-50. 2008..It can be very difficult for the girls to deal with the gap between socio cultural and family expectations and their individual life experience in Switzerland...
- [Genetic dermatology clinics: a practical approach]D Hohl
Service de Dermatologie et Venereologie, Hôpital de Beaumont, CHUV, Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 4:1084-8. 2008..By means of clinical examples we illustrate the organisation and procedures of this pluridisciplinary consultation which aims to optimize the clinical management of rare genetic diseases...
- Personality traits in children of parents with unipolar and bipolar mood disordersStephane Rothen
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Center and University of Lausanne, Switzerland
J Affect Disord 113:133-41. 2009..with depression in their 9 to 17 year-old children? 3) Is there an association between parental mood disorders and personality traits in offspring? 4) Are parental personality traits associated with the risk of depression in offspring?..
- [Genetic counselling: theoretical aspects and prenatal practice]V Cina
Conseillêre en génétique, Service de Genetique Medicale, 2, av Pierre Decker C104, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 4:931-4. 2008..In particular, it is essential in the context of prenatal and pre-conceptual care, where couples are confronted to complex information and should have access to appropriate support during the decision-making process...
- Non-covalent and covalent protein labeling in two-dimensional gel electrophoresisBeat M Riederer
Center for Psychiatric Neuroscience, Proteomic Unit, University Hospital of Lausanne CHUV, 1008 Prilly Lausanne, Switzerland
J Proteomics 71:231-44. 2008..We will also discuss the use of detergents during covalent labeling, the identification of oxidative modifications and review influence of detergents on finger prints analysis and MS/MS identification in relation to 2D electrophoresis...
- [To live with lymphedema: present and future]Michèle Depairon
Service d angiologie, Departement de Medecine, CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 5:299-302. 2009..Since April 2008, the service of angiology of our university hospital (CHUV) has developed a multidisciplinary consultation for diagnosing and managing oedemas particularly primary and secondary lymphoedemas...
- Associative plasticity in intracortical inhibitory circuits in human motor cortexHeike Russmann
Human Motor Control Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 120:1204-12. 2009..MEP size results from excitatory and inhibitory influences exerted on cortical pyramidal cells, but no robust effects on inhibitory networks have been demonstrated so far...
- [Use of autoantibodies in clinical practice]Stéphanie Petitpierre
Departement de Medecine Interne, CHUV, Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 5:823-31. 2009..Due to its high sensitivity indirect immunofluorescence is used as a screening test; when positive, ELISA is performed to search for antibodies more specifically associated with certain auto-immune diseases...
- [When should a patient with severe hypertension be referred to the emergency ward?]David Clerc
Service des Urgences, CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 6:1530-2, 1534. 2010..This paper attempts to clarify in which situations the primary care physician should refer hypertensive crisis to the emergency department...
- Change in defense mechanisms and coping over the course of short-term dynamic psychotherapy for adjustment disorderUeli Kramer
University of Lausanne
J Clin Psychol 66:1232-41. 2010..Links with outcome confirm the importance of the effect. These results are discussed from methodological and clinical viewpoints...
- Sexual behaviour of men that consulted in medical outpatient clinics in Western Switzerland from 2005-2006: risk levels unknown to doctors?Françoise Dubois-Arber
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine IUMSP, University Hospital Centre and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
BMC Public Health 10:528. 2010..To determine male outpatient attenders' sexual behaviours, expectations and experience of talking about their sexuality and sexual health needs with a doctor...
- [Health status and care giving needs in the elderly: gender related differences]N Doser Joz-Roland
Service de gériatrie et réadaptation gériatrique CUTR Sylvana Département de médecine, CHUV, 1066 Epalinges
Rev Med Suisse 6:1458-60. 2010....
- [Generics of antiepileptic drugs]M Maeder-Ingvar
Unité d épileptologie, Service de Neurologie, Departement des neurosciences cliniques, CHUV, 01011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 6:907-9. 2010....
- Changes of overweight and obesity in the adult Swiss population according to educational level, from 1992 to 2007Pedro Marques-Vidal
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine IUMSP, University Hospital Center CHUV and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
BMC Public Health 10:87. 2010..The aim of this study was to assess trends in body mass index (BMI) and in prevalence of overweight and obesity and their association with educational level in the adult Swiss population...
- Neurolysis using a carbohydrate polymer gel for the treatment of postoperative neuropathic painDaniel P Espinoza
Plastic Surgery Department, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Rue Bugnon 46, Lausanne, Switzerland
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 44:12-6. 2010..8, p = 0.2). We conclude that good long-term pain relief is obtained postoperatively independently of the addition of carbohydrate gel. There was a slight but not significant trend towards profound pain relief with the gel...
- Oxytocin response to an experimental psychosocial challenge in adults exposed to traumatic experiences during childhood or adolescenceB Pierrehumbert
Service universitaire de psychiatrie de l enfant et de l adolescent, Lausanne, Switzerland
Neuroscience 166:168-77. 2010..Better knowledge of such long-term implications is important so that to prevent dysregulations of the stress responses, which have been shown to be associated to the individual's mental health...
- Vitamin C requirements in parenteral nutritionMette M Berger
Service of Adult Intensive Care Medicine and Burns Centre, University Hospital CHUV, Lausanne, Switzerland
Gastroenterology 137:S70-8. 2009..Future research should distinguish therapeutic use of high-dose ascorbic acid antioxidant therapy from nutritional PN requirements...
- Usefulness of double locus sequence typing (DLST) for regional and international epidemiological surveillance of methicilin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusP Basset
Service of Hospital Preventive Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:1289-96. 2010..It is only the combination of data from different methods that gives the best chance of describing precisely the epidemiology and phylogeny of MRSA...
- [Abdominal laparoscopy: an update]H Probst
Service de Chirurgie Viscerale, CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 5:1432-6. 2009..Laparoscopic instruments have been developed to allow advanced surgical procedure. Imaging and computer assistance in virtual reality or robotic procedure will certainly improve access to this surgery...
- Impact of standardised review of intravenous antibiotic therapy 72 hours after prescription in two internal medicine wardsO Manuel
Service of Hospital Preventive Medicine and Service of Infectious Diseases, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Hosp Infect 74:326-31. 2010..0 days, P=0.007). Patients included in the intervention group had lower antibiotic consumption than patients in the control group, but the intervention had no significant impact on the overall antibiotic consumption of the two wards...
- Acute toxicity of curative radiotherapy for intermediate- and high-risk localised prostate cancer in the EORTC trial 22991O Matzinger
EORTC Headquarters, Belgium
Eur J Cancer 45:2825-34. 2009..We report acute toxicity (CTCAE v2) assessed weekly during RT in relation to radiation parameters...
- [Modern wound dressings]Bernard Noel
Service de Dermatologie et Venereologie, CHUV, Lausanne
Praxis (Bern 1994) 97:265-8. 2008..A large number of wound dressings is available on the market. A review is presented to help the medical practitioners to choose the most appropriate dressing for each type of wounds...
- Pilomyxoid astrocytoma of the spinal cord in an adultA Sajadi
Department of Neurosurgery, CHUV, Lausanne, Switzerland
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 150:729-31. 2008..Moreover, two family members of the patient were reported to have brainstem tumours with similar histopathological features. This may be the first report of familial PMAs...
- Has blood pressure increased in children in response to the obesity epidemic?Arnaud Chiolero
Community Prevention Unit, Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Lausanne, 17 rue du Bugnon, 1005 Lausanne, Switzerland
Pediatrics 119:544-53. 2007....
- Extended endoscopic mucosal resection in the esophagus and hypopharynx: a new rigid deviceYves Jaquet
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, CH 1011, Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:57-62. 2007..This facilitated easy orientation and analysis of the surgical margins. The deep resection margin was precisely located at the submucosal level, a prerequisite for a safe resection of superficial cancers of the esophagus and hypopharynx...
- [Emergency department overcrowding: a legitimate reason to refuse access to urgent care for non-urgent patients?]O W Hugli
Centre interdisciplinaire des urgences CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 2:1836-9. 2006..The safe reduction of overcrowding requires a reform of the healthcare system based on patients' needs rather than access barriers...
- Early dyadic patterns of mother-infant interactions and outcomes of prematurity at 18 monthsMargarita Forcada-Guex
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Lausanne, Switzerland
Pediatrics 118:e107-14. 2006..The second purpose was to examine the potential impact of these dyadic patterns on the infant's behavioral and developmental outcomes at 18 months of corrected age...
- Immunology of Helicobacter pylori infectionDominique Velin
Service de gastro entérologie et d hépatologie, CHUV, Lausanne, Suisse
Digestion 73:116-23. 2006....
- [Pruritus--causes, diagnostics and treatment]P L Bigliardi
Service de Dermatologie, CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 2:1115-8, 1120-1. 2006..One of the major causes of itch is dry skin, this is true for elderly persons and also for patients with atopic dermatitis. Therefore, the treatment of the dry skin is one of the most important measures against pruritus...
- Worsening of obsessive-compulsive symptoms under methadone taperingYasser Khazaal
Departement universitaire de psychiatrie adulte, Prilly Lausanne, Switzerland
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:1350-2. 2006..The possible involvement of the cortico-limbic-basal-ganglia-thalamic circuit in the observed phenomenon is discussed...
- [Early detection of atherosclerosis]M Depairon
Service d angiologie, Departement de Medecine, CHUV, Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 2:330-2, 335-6. 2006..It appears as a new approach to predict the risk of cardiovascular disease and to monitor the cardiovascular therapy...
- Difficult-to-engage patients: a specific target for time-limited assertive outreach in a Swiss settingCharles Bonsack
Unité de Psychiatrie Communautaire, Département de psychiatrie du CHUV, Faculté de Biologie et Médecine, Universite de Lausanne, Switzerland
Can J Psychiatry 50:845-50. 2005..This study aimed to evaluate the applicability and efficiency of time-limited ACT...
- Correlative studies in neuro-oncology trials: should they influence treatment?Monika E Hegi
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Lausanne Chuv, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Curr Oncol Rep 8:54-7. 2006..or move on, incorporate the markers for patient selection or stratification, aim at improving the modestly effective treatments by adding new drugs, and develop alternative therapy strategies for patients selected for their bad predictor?..
- [Endoscopic diagnosis and therapy for gastrointestinal bleeding]M A Ortner
Department Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Schweiz
Chirurg 77:111-6. 2006..Therefore this article gives an overview of new publications in this field and recommendations based on personal experience...
- Trends in cancer mortality in Switzerland, 1980-2001Fabio Levi
Unité d épidémiologie du cancer, Institut Universitaire de Medecine Sociale et Preventive, Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Cancer Prev 15:1-9. 2006..Steady declines were observed for leukaemias, Hodgkin's disease and testicular cancer, namely, the neoplasms most influenced by therapeutic improvements, while trends in lymphomas and myeloma showed no clear pattern...
- Longitudinal profiling of urinary steroids by gas chromatography/combustion/isotope ratio mass spectrometry: diet change may result in carbon isotopic variationsChristophe Saudan
Laboratoire Suisse d Analyse du Dopage, Institut Universitaire de Medecine Legale, Rue du Bugnon 21, 1005 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 831:324-7. 2006..In contrast to the results obtained with the carbon isotopic ratio, profiling of urinary testosterone/epitestosterone (T/E) ratios was found to be unaffected by a diet change...
- [The differential diagnosis of cognitive disorders in general practice: dementia and delirium]Armin von Gunten
Service Universitaire de Psychiatrie de l Age Avancé, Departement de Psychiatrie, CHUV, Prilly
Rev Med Suisse 3:389-90, 392, 394-5. 2007....
- Post-ictal fever: a rare symptom of partial seizuresA O Rossetti
Servizio Cantonale di Neurologia, Ospedale Regionale di Lugano, Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Neurol 14:586-90. 2007..Heterogeneity of reported clinical features argues against the assumption of a definite localizing or lateralizing value for post-ictal fever...
- Self blood pressure measurement: a promising procedure but some issues remain unansweredA Chiolero
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine IUMSP, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Hum Hypertens 21:697-8. 2007
- The contractile properties of vaginal myofibroblasts: is the myofibroblasts contraction force test a valuable indication of future prolapse development?S Meyer
Urogynecology Unit, Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, CHUV, Route du Bugnon 46, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 19:1399-403. 2008..The latter have a myofibroblast contraction factor similar to those of older post-menopausal women operated for the same condition...
- [Periinsular hemispherotomy: surgical technique, intraoperative EEG monitoring and results on seizure outcome]C Pollo
Service de neurochirurgie du CHUV, Centre Universitaire Romand de Neurochirurgie, Lausanne, Suisse
Neurochirurgie 54:303-10. 2008..It is an efficient technique with a low complication rate. Intra-operative EEG monitoring might be used as a predictive factor of completeness of the disconnection and consequently, seizure outcome...
- Assisted suicide in an acute care hospital: 18 months' experienceJean Blaise Wasserfallen
Intensive Care Service, University Hospital Centre, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 138:239-42. 2008....
- A mixed approach for proving non-inferiority in clinical trials with binary endpointsValentin Rousson
Statistical Unit, Institute for Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Lausanne, Rue du Bugnon 17, 1005 Lausanne, Switzerland
Biom J 50:190-204. 2008..g. with more than 56% of success). The gain of power achieved may lead in turn to a substantial reduction in the sample size needed to prove non-inferiority. The mixed approach can be generalized to ordinal endpoints...
- Neuronal nitric oxide synthase does not contribute to the modulation of pulmonary vascular tone in fetal lambs with congenital diaphragmatic hernia (nNOS in CDH lambs)Anthony S De Buys Roessingh
Faculte de Medecine, Universite Paris Descartes, EA 2511, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Service de Physiologie Explorations Fonctionnelles, Hopital Cochin, Paris, France
Pediatr Pulmonol 43:313-21. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine the presence of the neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) in near full-term lambs with congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) and its role in the modulation of pulmonary vascular basal tone...
- Vocally disruptive behavior in the elderly: a systematic reviewArmin von Gunten
Service Universitaire de Psychiatrie de l Age Avancé SUPAA, Prilly, Switzerland
Int Psychogeriatr 20:653-72. 2008..It may occur in as many as 40% of nursing home residents. This study is a review of the existing literature on this condition...
- Modelling the results of health promotion activities in Switzerland: development of the Swiss Model for Outcome Classification in Health Promotion and PreventionBrenda Spencer
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine IUMSP, University of Lausanne, 17, Rue du Bugnon, CH 1005 Lausanne, Switzerland
Health Promot Int 23:86-97. 2008....
- Experimental evaluation of rigor mortis IX. The influence of the breaking (mechanical solution) on the development of rigor mortisThomas Krompecher
Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Lausanne, Rue du Bugnon 21, CH 1005 Lausanne, Switzerland
Forensic Sci Int 176:157-62. 2008....
- The association of aldosterone with obesity-related hypertension and the metabolic syndromeBruno Vogt
Department of Medecine, Service of Nephrology and Hypertension, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Semin Nephrol 27:529-37. 2007..Because aldosterone also is associated with blood glucose and blood lipids, selective aldosterone blockade may represent a particularly attractive therapeutic strategy in obese patients with a clustering of cardiovascular risk factors...
- [Controlled drinking for alcohol-dependent patients]Anais Albrecht
Centre de traitement en alcoologie, Département universitaire de médecine et santé communautaires CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 3:1670-2. 2007..Furthermore, the treatment approach becomes more finely-shaded, as it helps patients not to waver continuously between abstinence and massive drinking...
- [The quality of Internet medical sites]Olivier Coquard
Département de psychiatrie du CHUV, Site de Cery, 1008 Prilly
Rev Med Suisse 3:1652-4. 2007
- [Non-invasive central blood pressure measurement: how and why?]A Pasche
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois et Universite de Lausanne, Departement de Medecine Interne, Division de physiopathologie clinique, Lausanne
Praxis (Bern 1994) 96:1137-40. 2007..Recent clinical trials have shown that for the same value of peripheral blood pressure, different antihypertensive treatments may not impact identically on central blood pressure...
- [Treatment of asthma and rhinitis during pregnancy and breast feeding]A Leimgruber
Service d immunologie et d allergie CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 3:1044-6, 1048-9. 2007..This type of antihistamines is indeed to be preferred to first-generation ones that generate more side-effects and generally are thus not to be prescribed during breast feeding...
- Effects of high-intensity exercises on 13C-nandrolone excretion in trained athletesNorbert Baume
Laboratoire Suisse d Analyse du Dopage, Institut Universitaire de Medecine Legale, Département Universitaire de Médecine et Santé Communautaire, Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin J Sport Med 15:158-66. 2005..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the influence of exhaustive exercises on 19-norandrosterone (19-NA) and 19-noretiocholanolone (19-NE) urinary excretion rates after administration of labeled nandrolone...