- Recovery of impaired muscle function in severe sciaticaF Balague
Hĵpital Cantonal, Fribourg, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 10:242-9. 2001..The manual muscle test is a crude clinical test. For more indepth muscle performance evaluation, additional testing may be necessary, especially for those patients with physically demanding jobs or activities...
- Clinical update: low back painFederico Balagué
Department of Rheumatology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Cantonal Hospital, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Lancet 369:726-8. 2007
- Radiological examination in low back pain patients: anxiety of the patient? Anxiety of the therapist?Federico Balagué
Clinic of Rheumatology and Service of Physical Medicine and Reeducation, Fribourg Cantonal Hospital, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Joint Bone Spine 73:508-13. 2006..Some possible keys which emphasize the central role of the therapeutic relationship in this predicament are also reviewed...
- Lumbar disk herniation: are the symptoms relevant for surgery?F Balague
Service de Rhumatologie, Hopital Cantonal, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 15:575-6. 2006
- The potential value of blood biomarkers of intervertebral disk metabolism in the follow-up of patients with sciaticaFederico Balagué
Service de Rhumatologie, Médecine Physique et Rééducation, Hôpital Cantonal de Fribourg, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 15:627-33. 2006..This is a prospective study with a follow-up period of 4 years...
- Low-back pain in childrenFederico Balagué
Service de Rhumatologie, médecine physique et réhabilitation, Hopital Cantonal, 1708, Fribourg, Switzerland
Lancet 361:1403-4. 2003
- Non-specific low back painFederico Balagué
Department of Rheumatology, Physical Medicine, and Rehabilitation, Hôpital Fribourgeois Hôpital cantonal, Fribourg and Geneva University, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 379:482-91. 2012..Both patient preferences and clinical evidence should be taken into account for pain management, but generally self-management, with appropriate support, is recommended and surgery and overtreatment should be avoided...
- What is the rational diagnostic approach to spinal disorders?Jean Dudler
Department of Rheumatology, CHUV, Lausanne, Switzerland
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 16:43-57. 2002..However, the values of clinical abilities should not be overestimated. Finally, the clinical application of guidelines needs to be re-evaluated for each individual patient...
- Assessing the association between low back pain, quality of life, and life events as reported by schoolchildren in a population-based studyFederico Balagué
Department of Rheumatology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, HFR hôpital cantonal Fribourg and Geneva University, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Pediatr 171:507-14. 2012..9 ± 2.4) (p < 0.001). LBP affected QoL marginally. These results stress the distinction between disease and common life experience. They also indicate the potential value of global QoL assessments in clinical settings...
- A controlled trial of the benefits of ultrasound-guided steroid injection for shoulder painPascal Zufferey
Service de Rhumatologie, DAL, CHUV, Avenue Pierre Decker 4, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Joint Bone Spine 79:166-9. 2012..We studied the value of ultrasound (US) to define shoulder pathology and guide local steroid injection in comparison with a standard injection in the management of the acute painful shoulder...
- [Juvenile low back pain: clinical approach in 2010]Federico Balagué
Service de Rhumatologie, Médecine Physique et Rééducation, HFR hôpital cantonal, 1708 Fribourg
Rev Med Suisse 6:1351-4. 2010..These data show that the impact of LBP on the quality of life in children and adolescents is very low, with the exception, however, of a small subgroup of adolescents suffering generalized pain in conjunction with LBP...
- Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis and back painFederico Balagué
Department of Rheumatology, HFR Fribourg Hôpital Cantonal, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland Department of Orthopedics, NYU, New York, USA
Scoliosis Spinal Disord 11:27. 2016..The level of evidence available does not allow stringent recommendations for any of the disorders included in this review. ..
- Fear of impending fractures: when to refer? A case-based reviewCaroline Kronisch
Clinique de rhumatologie et Service de médecine physique et rééducation, HFR Fribourg Hôpital Cantonal, Fribourg, Switzerland
Clin Rheumatol 34:1303-9. 2015..We also discuss the current limitations of such tools and the need for a research agenda to address this common problem. ..
- Do not dismiss intense painFederico Balagué
Department of Rheumatology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Hopital Cantonal, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Lancet 363:2021. 2004
- The association between isoinertial trunk muscle performance and low back pain in male adolescentsFederico Balagué
Service de Rhumatologie, Médecine Physique et Rééducation, Hopital Cantonal, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 19:624-32. 2010..05). Regular involvement in sport was a consistent predictor of LBP. Isoinertial trunk performance was not associated with LBP in adolescents...