- Recovery of impaired muscle function in severe sciaticaF Balague
Hĵpital Cantonal, Fribourg, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 10:242-9. 2001..The manual muscle test is a crude clinical test. For more indepth muscle performance evaluation, additional testing may be necessary, especially for those patients with physically demanding jobs or activities...
- Clinical update: low back painFederico Balagué
Department of Rheumatology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Cantonal Hospital, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Lancet 369:726-8. 2007
- Radiological examination in low back pain patients: anxiety of the patient? Anxiety of the therapist?Federico Balagué
Clinic of Rheumatology and Service of Physical Medicine and Reeducation, Fribourg Cantonal Hospital, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Joint Bone Spine 73:508-13. 2006..Some possible keys which emphasize the central role of the therapeutic relationship in this predicament are also reviewed...
- Lumbar disk herniation: are the symptoms relevant for surgery?F Balague
Service de Rhumatologie, Hopital Cantonal, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 15:575-6. 2006
- The potential value of blood biomarkers of intervertebral disk metabolism in the follow-up of patients with sciaticaFederico Balagué
Service de Rhumatologie, Médecine Physique et Rééducation, Hôpital Cantonal de Fribourg, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 15:627-33. 2006..This is a prospective study with a follow-up period of 4 years...
- Low-back pain in childrenFederico Balagué
Service de Rhumatologie, médecine physique et réhabilitation, Hopital Cantonal, 1708, Fribourg, Switzerland
Lancet 361:1403-4. 2003
- Non-specific low back painFederico Balagué
Department of Rheumatology, Physical Medicine, and Rehabilitation, Hôpital Fribourgeois Hôpital cantonal, Fribourg and Geneva University, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 379:482-91. 2012..Both patient preferences and clinical evidence should be taken into account for pain management, but generally self-management, with appropriate support, is recommended and surgery and overtreatment should be avoided...
- What is the rational diagnostic approach to spinal disorders?Jean Dudler
Department of Rheumatology, CHUV, Lausanne, Switzerland
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 16:43-57. 2002..However, the values of clinical abilities should not be overestimated. Finally, the clinical application of guidelines needs to be re-evaluated for each individual patient...
- Assessing the association between low back pain, quality of life, and life events as reported by schoolchildren in a population-based studyFederico Balagué
Department of Rheumatology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, HFR hôpital cantonal Fribourg and Geneva University, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Pediatr 171:507-14. 2012..9 ± 2.4) (p < 0.001). LBP affected QoL marginally. These results stress the distinction between disease and common life experience. They also indicate the potential value of global QoL assessments in clinical settings...
- A controlled trial of the benefits of ultrasound-guided steroid injection for shoulder painPascal Zufferey
Service de Rhumatologie, DAL, CHUV, Avenue Pierre Decker 4, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Joint Bone Spine 79:166-9. 2012..We studied the value of ultrasound (US) to define shoulder pathology and guide local steroid injection in comparison with a standard injection in the management of the acute painful shoulder...
- [Juvenile low back pain: clinical approach in 2010]Federico Balagué
Service de Rhumatologie, Médecine Physique et Rééducation, HFR hôpital cantonal, 1708 Fribourg
Rev Med Suisse 6:1351-4. 2010..These data show that the impact of LBP on the quality of life in children and adolescents is very low, with the exception, however, of a small subgroup of adolescents suffering generalized pain in conjunction with LBP...
- Fear of impending fractures: when to refer? A case-based reviewCaroline Kronisch
Clinique de rhumatologie et Service de médecine physique et rééducation, HFR Fribourg Hôpital Cantonal, Fribourg, Switzerland
Clin Rheumatol 34:1303-9. 2015..We also discuss the current limitations of such tools and the need for a research agenda to address this common problem. ..
- Do not dismiss intense painFederico Balagué
Department of Rheumatology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Hopital Cantonal, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Lancet 363:2021. 2004
- The association between isoinertial trunk muscle performance and low back pain in male adolescentsFederico Balagué
Service de Rhumatologie, Médecine Physique et Rééducation, Hopital Cantonal, 1708 Fribourg, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 19:624-32. 2010..05). Regular involvement in sport was a consistent predictor of LBP. Isoinertial trunk performance was not associated with LBP in adolescents...