Genomes and Genes
Sahlgrenska University Hospital
Organization: Sahlgrenska University Hospital
- HIV-1 viral escape in cerebrospinal fluid of subjects on suppressive antiretroviral treatmentArvid Edén
Department of Infectious Diseases, the Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg, Sweden
J Infect Dis 202:1819-25. 2010..We investigated CSF viral escape in subjects treated with commonly used antiretroviral therapy regimens in relation to intrathecal immune activation and central nervous system penetration effectiveness (CPE) rank...
- A prospective study of Helicobacter pylori in relation to the risk for pancreatic cancerBjorn Lindkvist
Institute of Medicine, Sahlgren s Academy, University of Goteborg, Gothenburg, Sweden
BMC Cancer 8:321. 2008..The aim of the present study was to investigate the association between H. pylori seropositivity and the risk for pancreatic cancer in a nested case-control study within a population based cohort...
- Work environment factors affecting quality work in Swedish oral and maxillofacial surgeryGöran Pilgård
Department of Oral Public Health, Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Sweden
Swed Dent J 32:149-55. 2008..Profession, gender, clinic size, and the hard demands were significantly associated with knowledge of the quality management system used...
- Sentinel node biopsy in malignant melanoma: Swedish experiences 1997-2005Jan Mattsson
Department of Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Oncol 47:1519-25. 2008..In this study the surgical technique seemed acceptable, but the non-centralized pathology work-up sub-optimal. However, SNB was still found to be a significant prognostic indicator, concerning disease free survival...
- Comparison of chest tomosynthesis and chest radiography for detection of pulmonary nodules: human observer study of clinical casesJenny Vikgren
Department of Radiology, the Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Radiology 249:1034-41. 2008..To compare chest tomosynthesis with chest radiography in the detection of pulmonary nodules by using multidetector computed tomography (CT) as the reference method...
- Cemented CeraOne and porcelain fused to TiAdapt abutment single-implant crown restorations: a 10-year comparative follow-up studyTorsten Jemt
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry Dental Material Science, Institute of Odontology, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 11:303-10. 2009..Long-term data comparing cemented and noncemented single-implant restorations has not been reported...
- The role of optical coherence tomography in the detection of pituitary adenomaCharlotta Johansson
Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Mölndal Hospital, Molndal, Sweden
Acta Ophthalmol 87:776-9. 2009..RNFL thickness was analysed with optical coherence tomography (OCT) and compared to visual field measurements using high-pass resolution perimetry (HRP)...
- Treatments of pelvic girdle pain in pregnant women: adverse effects of standard treatment, acupuncture and stabilising exercises on the pregnancy, mother, delivery and the fetus/neonateHelen Elden
Perinatal Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Institute for Clinical Sciences, Sahlgrenska Academy, Sahlgrenska University Hospital East, Gothenburg University, Gothenburg, SE 416 85, Sweden
BMC Complement Altern Med 8:34. 2008....
- A preliminary study on the technical feasibility and outcome of retrograde root canal treatmentP Jonasson
Clinic of Endodontology, Gothenburg Public Dental Health Service, Gothenburg, Sweden
Int Endod J 41:807-13. 2008..To investigate the technical feasibility and outcome of retrograde root canal treatment...
- Outcome for invasive Staphylococcus aureus infectionsG Jacobsson
Department of Infectious Diseases, Skaraborg Hospital, Skovde, Sweden
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:839-48. 2008..We conclude that ISA infections are of major medical importance, with high rates of mortality (19.1%), recurrence (9.3%) and residual functional impairment (34%)...
- Psychometric properties of a Swedish version of the Kansas City Cardiomyopathy Questionnaire in a Chronic Heart Failure populationHarshida Patel
Institute of Health and Care Sciences, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Sweden
Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 7:214-21. 2008..Valid assessments of health-related Quality of Life (HRQL) are increasingly important in chronic, incurable conditions, such as chronic heart failure (CHF)...
- The peptidergic innervation of the rat parotid gland: effects of section of the auriculo-temporal nerve and/or of otic ganglionectomyNina Khosravani
Section of Pharmacology, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Medicinaregatan 15D, Goteborg, Sweden
Arch Oral Biol 53:238-42. 2008..Thus, the auriculo-temporal nerve is not likely to innervate the parotid gland with CGRP- and/or substance P-containing nerve fibres from the trigeminal ganglion...
- Dissociation of the Inflammatory Reaction following PCI for Acute Myocardial InfarctionKarin Astrom-Olsson
Department of Cardiology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital S, SE 413 45, Goteborg, Sweden
J Invasive Cardiol 19:452-6. 2007....
- Effects of treatment with a commercially available St John's Wort product (Movina) on cholesterol levels in patients with hypercholesterolemia treated with simvastatinRobert Eggertsen
Department of Medicine Public Health and Community Medicine Primary Health Care, Goteborg University, Mölnlycke Primary Health Care and Research Unit, Gothenburg, Sweden
Scand J Prim Health Care 25:154-9. 2007..To assess the effect of treatment with a St John's Wort product (Movina) on cholesterol levels (total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, and HDL-cholesterol) in patients with hypercholesterolemia on treatment with a stable dose of simvastatin...
- Prolene Hernia System, Lichtenstein mesh and plug-and-patch for primary inguinal hernia repair: 3-year outcome of a prospective randomised controlled trial. The BOOP study: bi-layer and connector, on-lay, and on-lay with plug for inguinal hernia repairJ Dalenback
Department of Surgery, Frolunda Specialist Hospital, University of Gothenburg, Västra Frölunda, Box 138, 421 22 Gothenburg, Sweden
Hernia 13:121-9; discussion 231. 2009..The objectives of this study were to establish if any differences concerning these aspects could be detected following three principally different techniques for primary inguinal hernia repair...
- Impact of time in the development of acute appendicitisL E Hansson
Department of Surgery at Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Dig Surg 25:394-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to elucidate the natural history of appendicitis...
- Juvenile galactosialidosis with attacks of neuropathic pain and absence of sialyloligosacchariduriaNiklas Darin
Department of Pediatrics, The Queen Silvia Children s Hospital, S 416 85 Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Paediatr Neurol 13:553-5. 2009....
- Patients' assessment of 4-week recovery after ambulatory surgeryM Brattwall
Department of Anaesthesia, The Sahlgrenska Academy, Institute for Clinical Sciences, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Molndal, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 55:92-8. 2011..The aim was to study patients' self-assessed recovery, the occurrence and time course of post-operative problems in relation to the type of ambulatory surgery...
- Percutaneous absorption with emphasis on sunscreensHelena Gonzalez
Department of Dermatology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Sahlgrenska, Gothenburg, Sweden
Photochem Photobiol Sci 9:482-8. 2010..Percutaneous absorption is an important factor to take into consideration. There are several methods to measure the percutaneous absorption, both in vivo and/or in vitro. This paper will give an overview of the different methods...
- Optimisation of tube voltage for conventional urography using a Gd2O2S:Tb flat panel detectorSara Zachrisson
Department of Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SE 413 45 Gothenburg, Sweden
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 139:86-91. 2010..The study indicates that using a tube voltage of 55 kV instead of 73 kV for a Gd(2)O(2)S:Tb flat-panel detector, the effective dose can be reduced by approximately 10-20 % for normal-sized patients while maintaining image quality...
- A serious bleeding complication with injury of the corona mortis with the TVT-Secur procedurePer Goran Larsson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Karnsjukhuset, Skaraborgs Hospital, University of Skovde, 54128, Skovde, Sweden
Int Urogynecol J 21:1175-7. 2010..The corona mortis is an anomaly of the vessel combining the obturator and epigastric arteries passing over the superior pubic ramus, well known to hernia and orthopedic surgeons but probably less well known to gynecological surgeons...
- Well-being in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and their next of kin over timeA G Olsson
Department of Neurology, Institute of Clinical Neuroscience, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Neurol Scand 121:244-50. 2010..The well-being and physical function among patients with ALS and their next of kin was studied over time...
- Birth weight deviation and early postnatal growth are related to optic nerve morphology at school age in children born pretermMargareta H Wikstrand
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Pediatr Res 67:325-9. 2010..The association found between both low BW and poor early growth and later reduced neuronal tissue of the optic nerve indicate that early weight gain is important for neural development in preterm children...
- Does gender matter? A vignette study of general practitioners' management skills in handling patients with alcohol-related problemsMagnus Geirsson
Norrmalms Health Center, Skovde, Sweden
Alcohol Alcohol 44:620-5. 2009..These factors were related to the physicians' own alcohol consumption...
- Multiphoton laser scanning microscopy--a novel diagnostic method for superficial skin cancersJohn Paoli
Dermatology and Venereology Clinic, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Semin Cutan Med Surg 28:190-5. 2009..Although further investigations are required to make MPLSM a mainstream clinical diagnostic tool, MPLSM has the potential of becoming a noninvasive, bedside, histopathologic technique for the diagnosis of superficial skin cancers...
- Smoking in relation to ST-segment elevation acute myocardial infarction: findings from the Register of Information and Knowledge about Swedish Heart Intensive Care AdmissionsL Bjorck
Department of Emergency and Cardiovascular Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy University of Gothenburg, Goteborg, Sweden
Heart 95:1006-11. 2009..However, changes in risk factors have also been documented, especially lower tobacco-smoking rates. Therefore, the relation between smoking and ST-elevation AMI in a large observational cohort was analysed...
- Evaluation of the response to treatment in patients with idiopathic achalasia by the timed barium esophagogram: results from a randomized clinical trialM Andersson
Department of Radiology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Dis Esophagus 22:264-73. 2009..Lack of improvement in barium-column height post-treatment was associated with an increased risk of treatment failure which should motivate close surveillance in order to detect symptomatic recurrence at an early stage...
- One-third of the Swedish male population over 50 years of age suffers from lower urinary tract symptomsJohan Stranne
Department of Urology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Urol Nephrol 43:199-205. 2009..To investigate the prevalence of and restrictions in various parts of daily life due to lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) in an unselected Swedish male population...
- Adherence to diagnostic guidelines and quality indicators in asthma and COPD in Swedish primary carePaolina Weidinger
Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 18:393-400. 2009..To study the clinical evaluation and treatment of patients with asthma and COPD in primary care in Sweden, with a focus on adherence to recommended guidelines and quality indicators...
- Primary three-dimensional analysis with perspective-filet view versus primary two-dimensional analysis: evaluation of lesion detection by inexperienced readers at computed tomographic colonography in symptomatic patientsV A Fisichella
Department of Radiology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital and Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Acta Radiol 50:244-55. 2009..It is not known whether perspective-filet view, compared to axial images, improves lesion detection by inexperienced readers...
- Endothelin B receptors preserve renal blood flow in a normotensive model of endotoxin-induced acute kidney dysfunctionNicoletta Nitescu
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Institute of Clinical Sciences, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Sweden
Shock 29:402-9. 2008..05]) in BQ-123-treated rats but did not significantly influence MAP in other groups. We conclude that in early normotensive endotoxemia, ETB receptors exert a renal vasodilator influence and contribute to maintain normal RBF...
- Long-term treatment results for nasopharyngeal carcinoma: the Sahlgrenska University Hospital experienceZahra Taheri-Kadkhoda
Department of Oncology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Oncol 46:817-27. 2007..The most frequent late side effects were xerostomia (98%), otitis (70%) and hearing deterioration (64%). Our data suggest that optimization of the treatment outcomes in NPC patients requires implementation of new therapeutic strategies...
- The experience of fatigue, other symptoms and global quality of life during radiotherapy for uterine cancerKarin Ahlberg
Department of Oncology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SE 413 45 Gothenburg, Sweden
Int J Nurs Stud 42:377-86. 2005..The result can lead to a better understanding of the severity of symptoms experienced by patients with uterine cancer treated with radiotherapy...
- Questionnaire for Persons with a Transfemoral Amputation (Q-TFA): initial validity and reliability of a new outcome measureKerstin Hagberg
Department of Prosthetics and Orthotics, Bruna Stråket 11b, plan 5, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, S 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
J Rehabil Res Dev 41:695-706. 2004..Cronbach's alpha revealed good internal consistency, with no values less than 0.7. This study shows that the Q-TFA, applied to persons using a transfemoral socket prosthesis, has adequate initial validity and reliability...
- Ceramic implant abutments for short-span FPDs: a prospective 5-year multicenter studyBernt Andersson
SIM Prosthetic Dentistry, Specialist Dental Service, Sahlgrenska Universitetssjukhuset Mölndal, Sweden
Int J Prosthodont 16:640-6. 2003..A prospective, randomized, controlled 5-year multicenter study evaluated the long-term clinical function of CerAdapt ceramic abutments compared to titanium abutments on Brånemark implants supporting short-span fixed partial dentures (FPD)...
- Peri-implant mucosal level in patients treated with implant-supported fixed prostheses: a 1-year follow-up studyAnders Ekfeldt
National Orofacial Resource Center, Goteborg, Sweden
Int J Prosthodont 16:529-32. 2003..The purpose of this follow-up study was to quantify the change in the peri-implant mucosal level after treatment of edentulous patients with fixed prostheses on osseointegrated endosseous implants...
- The effect of mosapride on oesophageal motor function and acid reflux in patients with gastro-oesophageal reflux diseaseMagnus Ruth
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15:1115-21. 2003....
- Pharmacological inhibition of plasma coagulation and platelet activation during experimental long-term perfusionM Skogby
Department of Pediatrics, The Queen Silvia s Children s Hospital, Goteborg University, Sweden
Scand Cardiovasc J 37:222-8. 2003....
- 31P MRS evaluation of fatigue in anterior tibial muscle in postpoliomyelitis patients and healthy volunteersM Ljungberg
Department of Radiation Physics, Goteborg University, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 23:190-8. 2003..The interindividual variation was much higher for the patient group. Some of the patients showed deviating results probably because of differences in muscle fibre type...
- Fire disaster in Gothenburg 1998--surgical treatment of burnsP Tarnow
Department of Plastic Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SE 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Burns 29:417-21. 2003..Eight patients required local flaps and two had free flap coverage. Thoracic surgery was performed in one patient due to endocarditis. Severe infections occurred in eight patients. Hospital stay varied between 21 and 164 days...
- [Screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Women with distal radius fractures should be evaluated for bone density]Hans Jutberger
Geriatriska kliniken, Ostra sjukhuset, Goteborg
Lakartidningen 100:31-4. 2003..0 and fragile-fracture) as outlined by the Swedish Osteoporosis Society, 75 per cent of postmenopausal patients with forearm fracture should be considered for such treatment...
- Cross-linked hyaluronan for augmentation of the posterior pharyngeal wall: an experimental study in ratsLars Hallén
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Central Hospital, Falun, Sweden
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 36:197-201. 2002..These results indicate that hylan b gel may be an appropriate substance in the augmentation of mild velopharyngeal insufficiency in man. However, further studies are needed to evaluate its long-term effects...
- Pharmacological approach to the management of dental anxiety in children--comments from a Scandinavian point of viewG Klingberg
Mun H Center, Swedish National Orofacial Resource Centre for Rare Disorders, Goteborg, Sweden
Int J Paediatr Dent 12:357-8. 2002
- Jejunal luminal nitric oxide during severe hypovolemia and sepsis in anesthetized pigsJ Snygg
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Sahlgrens University Hospital Eastern Hospital, 41685 Gothenburg, Sweden
Intensive Care Med 27:1807-13. 2001..This study was performed to delineate intestinal mucosal NO formation during hypovolemia or sepsis, both of which are associated with intestinal hypoperfusion...
- Brånemark implants and osteoporosis: a clinical exploratory studyB Friberg
Branemark Clinic, Public Dental Health Service and Faculty of Odontology, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 3:50-6. 2001..Oral implant treatment on patients with poor jaw-bone texture has shown increased failure rates in series of studies...
- Is increased segmental motion early after lumbar discectomy related to poor clinical outcome 5 years later?K Halldin
Department of Orthopaedics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg University, Bruna Straket 11, 5e, 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Int Orthop 29:260-4. 2005..01) compared with the reference segments. Our study suggests that increased inducible vertebral displacement in the early postoperative phase after discectomy is associated with a poor clinical outcome...
- The association between short stature and sensorineural hearing lossMarie Louise Barrenäs
Göteborg Pediatric Growth Research Centre, Department of Pediatrics, Institute for the Health of Women and Children, University of Goteborg, S416 85 Göteborg, Sweden
Hear Res 205:123-30. 2005....
- Detection of mild emphysema by computed tomography density measurementsJ Vikgren
Department of Radiology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Radiol 46:237-45. 2005....
- Effects of nursing interventions within an integrated care pathway for patients with hip fractureLars Eric Olsson
Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Institute of Health and Care Sciences, and Orthopaedic Department, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Ostra, Goteborg, Sweden
J Adv Nurs 58:116-25. 2007..This paper reports a study to evaluate the contribution of nursing care within an integrated care pathway for patients with hip fracture...
- Gut toxicity during hemopoietic stem cell transplantation may predict acute graft-versus-host disease severity in patientsJan Erik Johansson
Department of Haematology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Goteborg, S 41345, Goteborg, Sweden
Dig Dis Sci 52:2340-5. 2007..02) compared with patients with more severe acute GVHD (grades II-IV). Gut toxicity predicts acute GVHD severity. Therefore, gut protective strategies may diminish GVHD severity in allogeneic HSCT patients...
- Altered postprandial glucose, insulin, leptin, and ghrelin in liver cirrhosis: correlations with energy intake and resting energy expenditureEvangelos Kalaitzakis
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 85:808-15. 2007..Liver cirrhosis is associated with reduced energy intake and increased resting energy expenditure...
- Outpatient vaginal administration of the nitric oxide donor isosorbide mononitrate for cervical ripening and labor induction postterm: a randomized controlled studyMaria Bullarbo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Am J Obstet Gynecol 196:50.e1-5. 2007..Our aim was to examine the efficacy, safety, and acceptability of isosorbide mononitrate for cervical ripening and labor induction in women in an outpatient setting...
- Quality of life in children with hypoplastic left heart syndromeM Mellander
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, The Queen Silvia Children s Hospital, Goteborg, University, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Paediatr 96:53-7. 2007..To measure quality of life in children with hypoplastic left heart syndrome and their families...
- Evaluation of a new Internet-based self-help guide for patients with bulimic symptoms in SwedenLauri Nevonen
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Centre, Queen Silvia Children s Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Nord J Psychiatry 60:463-8. 2006..An Internet-based self-help guide for bulimic symptoms is a promising new tool and can be used effectively as the first step in a stepped-care model. Further evaluations with randomized controlled trials are necessary...
- Cervical length in women in preterm labor with intact membranes: relationship to intra-amniotic inflammation/microbial invasion, cervical inflammation and preterm deliveryR M Holst
Perinatal Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Institute for the Health of Women and Children, Sahlgrenska Academy, Sahlgrenska University Hospital East, Goteborg, Sweden
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 28:768-74. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate if cervical length measured by transvaginal sonography could assist in the identification of women at high risk for IAI...
- Topical methyl aminolaevulinate photodynamic therapy for treatment of facial acne vulgaris: results of a randomized, controlled studyC Hörfelt
Department of Dermatology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, 41435 Gothenburg, Sweden
Br J Dermatol 155:608-13. 2006..There is a need for alternative treatments for moderate to severe acne vulgaris. Preliminary experience suggests that topical methyl aminolaevulinate photodynamic therapy (MAL-PDT) may have potential...
- Positive end-expiratory pressure optimization using electric impedance tomography in morbidly obese patients during laparoscopic gastric bypass surgeryK Erlandsson
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, 41345 Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:833-9. 2006..Electric impedance tomography (EIT) can be used for continuous, fast-response measurement of lung volume changes. This method was used to optimize positive end-expiratory pressure (PEEP) to maintain FRC...
- [Peroral emergency treatment with injection solutions or tablets?]Johan Blomgren
Läkemedelskommittén i Västra Götaland
Lakartidningen 103:1220. 2006
- [Pituitary surgery demands cooperation. Good results with a team of endocrinologists, ophthalmologists, radiologists and neurosurgeons]Karl Erik Jakobsson
Neurokirurgiska kliniken, Sahlgrenska Universitetssjukhuset Sahlgrenska, Goteborg
Lakartidningen 103:1009-10. 2006
- Fetal hemolytic anemia associated with maternal sulfasalazine therapy during pregnancyHans Bokström
Institute for the Health of Women and Children, Sahlgrenska University Hospital East, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 85:118-21. 2006
- [Secondary syphilis with ocular involvement in a 77-year-old man]John Paoli
Sahlgrenska Universitetssjukhuset, Goteborg
Lakartidningen 102:2399-400. 2005..This case report reminds us of the diversity of symptoms which syphilis may present and the importance of PCR to demonstrate Treponema pallidum...
- Procera AllCeram laminates: a clinical reportB Hager
Specialist Dental Service, Molndal, Sweden
J Prosthet Dent 85:231-2. 2001..The use of Procera AllCeram laminates for patients with discolored teeth has been described. In our experience, these laminates are simple to use and provide possibilities for excellent esthetics...