- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduced abdominal adipose tissue in obese middle-aged men with signs of the metabolic syndrome: a randomised controlled trialU Riserus
Clinical Nutrition Research Unit, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences Geriatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:1129-35. 2001..Recent research suggests that dietary conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduces body fat and may improve metabolic variables in animals. The metabolic effects of CLA in abdominally obese humans have not yet been tested...
- Adipose tissue fatty acids and insulin sensitivity in elderly menD Iggman
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetologia 53:850-7. 2010..We aimed to determine the association between adipose tissue fatty acids and insulin sensitivity in elderly Swedish men...
- Replacing dairy fat with rapeseed oil causes rapid improvement of hyperlipidaemia: a randomized controlled studyD Iggman
Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
J Intern Med 270:356-64. 2011..Rapeseed oil (RO), also known as canola oil, principally contains the unsaturated fatty acids 18:1n-9, 18:2n-6 and 18:3n-3 and may promote cardiometabolic health...
- Serum cathepsin S is associated with serum C-reactive protein and interleukin-6 independently of obesity in elderly menE Jobs
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences Geriatrics, Uppsala University, SE 75185 Uppsala Sweden
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:4460-4. 2010..Accordingly, we aimed to investigate the association between serum levels of cathepsin S and markers of cytokine-mediated inflammation in a community-based sample, with prespecified subgroup analyses in nonobese participants...
- A high activity index of stearoyl-CoA desaturase is associated with increased risk of fracture in menH Melhus
Department of Medical Sciences, University Hospital, Entrance 61, 4th Floor, SE 751 85, Uppsala, Sweden
Osteoporos Int 19:929-34. 2008..This indicates that elevated levels of endogenous lipogenesis increase the risk of fracture and suggest a role for saturated fat in the pathogenesis of osteoporosis...
- Effects of a healthy Nordic diet on cardiovascular risk factors in hypercholesterolaemic subjects: a randomized controlled trial (NORDIET)V Adamsson
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, Uppsala University, Uppsala
J Intern Med 269:150-9. 2011..the aim of this study was to investigate the effects of a healthy Nordic diet (ND) on cardiovascular risk factors...
- Serum and dietary beta-carotene and alpha-tocopherol and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in a community-based study of Swedish men: report from the Uppsala Longitudinal Study of Adult Men (ULSAM) studyJ Arnlov
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences Geriatrics, Uppsala University, Uppsala Science Park, Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetologia 52:97-105. 2009..To investigate the association of serum concentrations and dietary intake of beta-carotene and alpha-tocopherol with type 2 diabetes incidence...
- Conjugated linoleic acid induces lipid peroxidation in men with abdominal obesityS Basu
Sections of Geriatrics and Clinical Nutrition Research, Faculty of Medicine, Uppsala University, Box 609, SE 751 25 Uppsala, Sweden
Clin Sci (Lond) 99:511-6. 2000..Thus CLA may induce both non-enzymic and enzymic lipid peroxidation in vivo in middle-aged men with abdominal obesity, without any side effects. The consequences of the increased lipid peroxidation after CLA supplementation are unknown...
- Genetic variants near the MGAT1 gene are associated with body weight, BMI and fatty acid metabolism among adults and childrenJ A Jacobsson
Department of Neuroscience, Functional Pharmacology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Int J Obes (Lond) 36:119-29. 2012..Levels of fatty acids and estimated measures of Δ desaturases were also investigated among adult men...
- Supplementation with trans10cis12-conjugated linoleic acid induces hyperproinsulinaemia in obese men: close association with impaired insulin sensitivityU Riserus
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences Geriatrics, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetologia 47:1016-9. 2004....
- Fatty acid composition of serum lipids predicts the development of the metabolic syndrome in menE Warensjo
Section of Clinical Nutrition Research, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, P O Box 609, 751 25 Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetologia 48:1999-2005. 2005..It is not known whether alterations of fatty acid composition or desaturase activities predict metabolic syndrome...