Affiliation: Lund University
- The ghrelin cell: a novel developmentally regulated islet cell in the human pancreasN Wierup
Department of Physiological Sciences, Section of Neuroendocrine Cell Biology, Lund University, BMC F10, 22 184, Lund, Sweden
Regul Pept 107:63-9. 2002..Specimens from fetal to adult human pancreas and stomach were studied by immunocytochemistry, for ghrelin and islet hormones, and in situ hybridisation, for ghrelin mRNA...
- Glucagon receptor antagonism improves islet function in mice with insulin resistance induced by a high-fat dietM Sörhede Winzell
Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund, Division of Medicine, BMC, B11, Lund University, 221 84, Lund, Sweden
Diabetologia 50:1453-62. 2007..Here, we investigated whether chronic treatment with a glucagon receptor antagonist (GRA) improves islet dysfunction in female mice on a high-fat diet (HFD)...
- Ghrelin is expressed in a novel endocrine cell type in developing rat islets and inhibits insulin secretion from INS-1 (832/13) cellsN Wierup
Department of Physiological Science, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Histochem Cytochem 52:301-10. 2004..We conclude that ghrelin is expressed in a novel developmentally regulated endocrine islet cell type in the rat pancreas and that ghrelin inhibits glucose-stimulated insulin secretion via a direct effect on the beta-cell...
- Enhanced mitochondrial metabolism may account for the adaptation to insulin resistance in islets from C57BL/6J mice fed a high-fat dietM Fex
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Division of Diabetes, Metabolism, and Endocrinology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Diabetologia 50:74-83. 2007..When this fails, type 2 diabetes ensues. Because mitochondria play a key role in beta cell pathophysiology, we tested the hypothesis that mitochondrial metabolism is critical for beta cell adaptation to insulin resistance...
- CART knock out mice have impaired insulin secretion and glucose intolerance, altered beta cell morphology and increased body weightN Wierup
Department of Physiological Sciences, Lund University, Section for Neuroendocrine Cell Biology, BMC F10, 22 184, Lund, Sweden
Regul Pept 129:203-11. 2005..In addition, CART KO mice displayed increased body weight at the age of 40 weeks, without any difference in food intake. We conclude that CART is required for maintaining normal islet function in mice...
- Cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript (CART) is expressed in several islet cell types during rat developmentN Wierup
Department of Physiological Sciences, Section of Neuroendocrine Cell Biology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Histochem Cytochem 52:169-77. 2004..We have demonstrated that CART is expressed in several islet cell types during rat development but is restricted to somatostatin cells and neurons in the adult rat...
- A low glycaemic diet improves oral glucose tolerance but has no effect on β-cell function in C57BL/6J miceU Andersson
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Diabetes Obes Metab 12:976-82. 2010..Clinical studies have suggested a role for dietary glycaemic index (GI) in body weight regulation and diabetes risk. Here, we investigated the long-term metabolic effects of low and high glycaemic diets using the C57BL/6J mouse model...
- Cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript: distribution and function in rat gastrointestinal tractE Ekblad
Department of Physiological Sciences, BMC F10, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Neurogastroenterol Motil 15:545-57. 2003..It may, moreover, be involved in intestinal adaptation, and an additional hormonal role is also possible...
- CART-peptide immunoreactivity in enteric nerves in patients with Hirschsprung's diseaseA Gunnarsdottir
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Eur J Pediatr Surg 17:184-9. 2007....
- Circulating levels of ghrelin in human fetusesN Wierup
Eur J Endocrinol 150:405. 2004
- Human islet amyloid polypeptide transgenic mice: in vivo and ex vivo models for the role of hIAPP in type 2 diabetes mellitusJ W M Höppener
Division of Biomedical Genetics, Department of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases, University Medical Center Utrecht, P O Box 85090, 3508 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands
Exp Diabetes Res 2008:697035. 2008..5% to 70%. This ex vivo system will allow a more rapid, convenient, and specific study of factors influencing islet amyloidosis as well as of therapeutic strategies to interfere with this pathological process...