Genomes and Genes
Organization: Lund University
- Students' reflections in a portfolio pilot: highlighting professional issuesAnn Christin Haffling
Clinical Research Centre, Malmo University Hospital, Sweden
Med Teach 32:e532-40. 2010..Although students' self-reflections are considered to be central in the portfolio, the content of reflections in practice-based portfolios is seldom analysed...
- Non-linear myofilament elasticity in frog intact muscle fibresK A P Edman
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Biomedical Centre, University of Lund, S 221 84 Lund, Sweden
J Exp Biol 212:1115-9. 2009..At 2.20 microm sarcomere length and at 40% of maximum load on the fibre, the calculated myofilament stiffness was approximately 2.5 times the maximum cross-bridge stiffness...
- Influence of fruit drinks with or without lactobacillus Lp299v on the gastrointestinal uptake of paracetamol in manUlrika Akerman
Department of Emergency Medicine, Clinical Sciences, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
BMC Res Notes 2:45. 2009..This may in the clinic translate to the use of more drug than it is necessary...
- Once-weekly oral medication with alendronate does not prevent migration of knee prostheses: A double-blind randomized RSA studyUlrik Hansson
Department of Orthopedics, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Acta Orthop 80:41-5. 2009..By reducing the bone resorption after implantation of a joint replacement, it should be possible to enhance the initial fixation of the implant. We studied the effect of once-weekly treatment with alendronate after knee replacement...
- Undisturbed theatre dressing during the first postoperative week. A benefit in the treatment by external fixation: a cohort studyAnnette W-Dahl
Department of Orthopedics, Clinical Science Lund, Lund University Hospital, 221 85, Lund, Sweden
Strategies Trauma Limb Reconstr 4:7-12. 2009....
- Prevalence, characteristics, and associations of sexual abuse with sociodemographics and consensual sex in a population-based sample of Swedish adolescentsGisela Priebe
Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Child Sex Abus 18:19-39. 2009..The study showed that distinct categories of child sexual abuse must be employed since each category shows a specific pattern concerning abuse characteristics, sociodemographics, and consensual sex...
- Impaired nerve-mediated relaxation of penile tissue from caveolin-1 deficient miceYulia Shakirova
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, Biomedical Centre, BMC D12, Lund, Sweden
Eur J Pharmacol 602:399-405. 2009..All in all our data support an important role of caveolin-1 in penile erection...
- Homologous sequence in lumican and fibromodulin leucine-rich repeat 5-7 competes for collagen bindingSebastian Kalamajski
Department of Experimental Medical Science, University of Lund, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
J Biol Chem 284:534-9. 2009..Lumican, but not the D213N mutation, lowers the melting point and affects the packing of collagen fibrils...
- Use of atorvastatin as an anti-inflammatory treatment in Crohn's diseaseO Grip
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Clinical Sciences Malmo, Lund University, University Hospital MAS, Malmo, Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 155:1085-92. 2008..Experimental and clinical investigations have revealed that statins can downregulate both acute and chronic inflammatory processes. Whether statins express anti-inflammatory activities in the treatment of Crohn's disease is unknown...
- Lack of cholesterol mobilization in islets of hormone-sensitive lipase deficient mice impairs insulin secretionSara Larsson
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Division of Diabetes, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Lund University, BMC C11, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 376:558-62. 2008..These results indicate that HSL plays an important role in insulin secretion by providing free cholesterol for the formation and maintenance of cholesterol-rich patches for docking of SNARE-proteins to the plasma membrane...
- Enhanced expressions of microvascular smooth muscle receptors after focal cerebral ischemia occur via the MAPK MEK/ERK pathwayAida Maddahi
Division of Experimental Vascular Research, BMC A13, Lund University, 221 84 Lund, Sweden
BMC Neurosci 9:85. 2008..Here we explored the role of the MEK/ERK pathway in receptor expression following ischemic brain injury using the specific MEK1 inhibitor U0126...
- Regulation of kinin B(2) receptors by bradykinin in human lung cellsSara H Bengtson
Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, S 22184 Lund, Sweden
Biol Chem 389:1435-40. 2008..These results provide a possible explanation for the potency of bradykinin in inducing ongoing airway inflammation...
- Tumor necrosis factor receptor-1 is essential for LPS-induced sensitization and tolerance to oxygen-glucose deprivation in murine neonatal organotypic hippocampal slicesTina Markus
Department of Pediatrics, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 29:73-86. 2009..We conclude that LPS induces sensitization or tolerance to OGD depending on the time interval between exposure to LPS and OGD in murine hippocampal slice cultures. Both paradigms are dependent on signaling through TNFR1...
- Plant foods and oestrogen receptor alpha- and beta-defined breast cancer: observations from the Malmo Diet and Cancer cohortEmily Sonestedt
Department of Clinical Sciences in Malmo, Lund University, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Carcinogenesis 29:2203-9. 2008..We did not observe strong evidence for differences in incidence according to the ERalpha and ERbeta status of breast cancer...
- Melatonin receptors in pancreatic islets: good morning to a novel type 2 diabetes geneH Mulder
Unit of Molecular Metabolism, Department of Clinical Sciences in Malmo, Lund University Diabetes Centre, Malmo, Sweden
Diabetologia 52:1240-9. 2009..Blocking the inhibition of insulin secretion by melatonin may be a novel therapeutic avenue for type 2 diabetes...
- High hyperdiploid childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemiaKajsa Paulsson
Department of Clinical Genetics, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 48:637-60. 2009..However, during the last few years, several studies have addressed some of these important issues, and these, as well as previous reports on high hyperdiploid childhood ALL, are reviewed herein...
- Early changes in 2-deoxy-2-[18F]fluoro-D-glucose metabolism in squamous-cell carcinoma during chemotherapy in vivo and in vitroMaria Bjurberg
Department of Oncology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 24:327-32. 2009....
- A nested case-control study of intrauterine exposure to persistent organochlorine pollutants in relation to risk of type 1 diabetesAnna Rignell-Hydbom
Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
PLoS ONE 5:e11281. 2010..The aim of this case-control study was to assess possible impacts of in utero exposure to POPs on type 1 diabetes...
- Prevalence of osteoporosis and incidence of hip fracture in women--secular trends over 30 yearsHenrik G Ahlborg
Clinical and Molecular Osteoporosis Research Unit, Department of Clinical Science, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, SE 20502 Malmo, Sweden
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:48. 2010..However, whether changes in hip fracture annual incidence in women are attributable to secular changes in the prevalence of osteoporosis is unclear...
- Subclinical hypothyroidism presenting with gait abnormalityBengt Edvardsson
Department of Neurology, Lund University Hospital, S 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Neurologist 16:115-6. 2010..A laboratory evaluation of thyroid function should be performed in similar cases, and treatment should be initiated when called for. Subclinical hypothyroidism can present as a cerebellar ataxic gait...
- Cell type differentiation dynamics in the developing porcine retinaFredrik Ghosh
Department of Ophthalmology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Dev Neurosci 32:47-58. 2010..The dynamics of retinal cell type differentiation are of interest from a biological standpoint and are also important for therapeutical strategies in retinal degenerative disease...
- Epitope shift of proteinase-3 anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies in patients with small vessel vasculitisD Selga
Department of Nephrology, Clinical Sciences in Lund, Lund University and Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Clin Exp Immunol 160:318-24. 2010..04). The reactivity pattern did not correlate to outcome measured as death, end-stage renal disease or vasculitis activity index score (VDI) at 5 years. Further research is necessary to conclude if this is a general phenomenon...
- Effects of oats on plasma cholesterol and lipoproteins in C57BL/6 mice are substrain specificKristina E Andersson
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, BMC D12, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Br J Nutr 103:513-21. 2010..The present finding that two substrains of mice respond differently to oats is of practical value, but can also help to elucidate mechanisms of the cholesterol-lowering effect of oats...
- Context and disease when disease risk is low: the case of type 1 diabetes in SwedenK F Lynch
Department of Clinical Sciences, CRC, Entrance 72, house 28, Floor 12, Malmo University Hospital, 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
J Epidemiol Community Health 64:789-95. 2010....
- Hyperdense middle cerebral artery sign is an ominous prognostic marker despite optimal workflowK Abul-Kasim
Faculty of Medicine, University of Lund, Division of Neuroradiology, Department of Radiology, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Acta Neurol Scand 122:132-9. 2010....
- Increased breast cancer risk at high plasma folate concentrations among women with the MTHFR 677T alleleUlrika C Ericson
Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo, Nutrition Epidemiology, Lund University, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 90:1380-9. 2009..Folate is involved in DNA synthesis and methylation and may thereby influence carcinogenesis...
- Dizzy - why not take a walk? Low level physical activity improves quality of life among elderly with dizzinessAnna Ekwall
Department of Emergency, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Gerontology 55:652-9. 2009..Dizziness is a very common complaint. The frequency of dizziness increases with age. It affects quality of life negatively for older persons in several ways...
- Stress and hazardous alcohol use: associations with early dropout from universityClaes Andersson
Clinical Alcohol Research, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Sweden
Scand J Public Health 37:713-9. 2009..The transition to studying at university is associated with increased levels of both stress and hazardous alcohol use. The aim of this study is to investigate the influence of these factors on first-year dropout from university studies...
- Evolution of P-wave morphology in healthy individuals: a 3-year follow-up studyRasmus Havmoller
Department of Cardiology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 14:226-33. 2009..The stability of P-wave morphology in healthy subjects over time is not fully known...
- Parental expectations, experiences and reactions, sense of coherence and grade of anxiety related to routine ultrasound examination with normal findings during pregnancyM Ekelin
Department of Health Sciences, Division of Nursing, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Prenat Diagn 29:952-9. 2009..To investigate parents' expectations, experiences and reactions, sense of coherence and anxiety before and after a second-trimester routine ultrasound examination, with normal findings...
- 3-year follow-up of 215 fracture patients from a prospective and consecutive osteoporosis screening program. Fracture patients care!Jörgen Astrand
Department of Orthopedics, Lund University, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Acta Orthop 79:404-9. 2008..Here we report the 3-year follow-up regarding compliance to the recommended treatment...
- Cesarean delivery on maternal request: can the ethical problem be solved by the principlist approach?Tore Nilstun
Department of Medical Ethics, University of Lund, BMC C13, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
BMC Med Ethics 9:11. 2008....
- Increased cystatin C expression in the pre-eclamptic placentaKarl Kristensen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Mol Hum Reprod 13:189-95. 2007..Placental expression and secretion of cystatin C could contribute to the elevated maternal plasma levels seen in pre-eclampsia...
- Protein kinase C inhibition attenuates vascular ETB receptor upregulation and decreases brain damage after cerebral ischemia in ratMarie Henriksson
Division of Experimental Vascular Research, Department of Clinical Sciences in Lund, Lund University, Sweden
BMC Neurosci 8:7. 2007..The present study aimed to examine the effect of the PKC inhibitor Ro-32-0432 on endothelin receptor upregulation, infarct volume and neurology outcome after middle cerebral artery occlusion in rat...
- Screening history of women in Malmö with invasive cervical cancerPelle G Lindqvist
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Clinical Science Malmö, University Hospital MAS, Lund University, Ingång 74, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 137:77-83. 2008..The purpose of this study was to investigate the screening history of women diagnosed with cervical cancer with the aim of improving the screening programme...
- The functional variant of the CLC-Kb channel T481S is not associated with blood pressure or hypertension in SwedesCristiano Fava
Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, University Hospital of Malmo, Sweden
J Hypertens 25:111-6. 2007..The study aim was to evaluate the association of the T481S polymorphism with blood pressure (BP) levels and the BP progression rate in Swedes...
- A case report on a patient suffering from recurrent vomiting episodes, whose condition improved markedly during pregnancy and breast feedingBodil Ohlsson
From the Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Gastroenterology, Entrance 35, 205 02 Malmo, Lund University, Sweden
BMC Gastroenterol 6:28. 2006..In the following a case is described of a patient presenting with recurrent vomiting episodes, whose condition improved spontaneously during pregnancy and breast feeding...
- Reproductive hormone levels in men exposed to persistent organohalogen pollutants: a study of inuit and three European cohortsAleksander H Giwercman
Molecular Reproductive Medicine Research Unit, Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Environ Health Perspect 114:1348-53. 2006..Persistent organohalogen pollutant (POP) exposure may have a negative impact on reproductive function. The objective of this study was to assess the impact of POP exposure on the male hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis...
- Stem cells for the treatment of neurological disordersOlle Lindvall
Laboratory of Neurogenesis and Cell Therapy, Section of Restorative Neurology, Wallenberg Neuroscience Center, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Nature 441:1094-6. 2006..The next step is to translate these exciting advances from the laboratory into clinically useful therapies...
- Salivary cortisol and self-reported stress among persons with environmental annoyanceFrida Carlsson
Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Barngatan 2, Lund University Hospital, 22185 Lund, Sweden
Scand J Work Environ Health 32:109-20. 2006..This study examined whether subjective environmental annoyance among the general population is associated with increased physiological reactivity or subjective stress scores...
- Mucosal host responses to bacteriuria in colonic and ileal neobladdersBjorn Wullt
Department of Urology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Eur Urol 50:1065-71; discussion 1071-2. 2006..To study the local host response in patients with colonic and ileal neobladders, with or without bacteriuria...
- The dorsal vagal complex as a site for cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript peptide to suppress gastric emptyingUlrika Smedh
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Science, John Hopkins University School of Medecine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 291:R124-30. 2006..The results indicate that the DVC is a target site for CRF and CARTp to inhibit gastric emptying and that the vagus mediates dorsal hindbrain effects of CARTp on gastric motor function...
- [Metabolic syndrome is under fire. International dispute about the risk factor complex's scientific basis]Peter M Nilsson
Universitetssjukhuset MAS, Malmo
Lakartidningen 102:3202-3. 2005
- Sonographic investigation of the rectoanal inhibitory reflex: a qualitative pilot study in healthy femalesA K Ornö
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Clinical Sciences Lund, University of Lund, Lund, Sweden
Dis Colon Rectum 49:233-7. 2006..The rectoanal inhibitory reflex has been studied using various methods, e.g., anometry and electromyography. The aim of this study was to apply ultrasound for direct visualization of the rectoanal inhibitory reflex...
- The evolution of European guidelines: changing the management of cholesterol levelsLeif R Erhardt
Department of Cardiology, Cardiology Research Unit, University of Lund, Malmo University Hospital, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Atherosclerosis 185:12-20. 2006..An urgent call for action is needed to improve goal attainment in patients with or at risk for CVD. Improving access to risk-reducing treatments should be a priority...
- Long-term follow-up and cost analysis following surgery for small bowel obstruction caused by intra-abdominal adhesionsB Tingstedt
Department of Surgery, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Br J Surg 94:743-8. 2007..This study examined the natural course of patients following surgery for small bowel obstruction (SBO) caused by abdominal adhesions. In addition, a cost analysis was performed...
- Prevention of abdominal adhesions--present state and what's beyond the horizon?B Tingstedt
Department of Surgery, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Eur Surg Res 39:259-68. 2007..This review discusses possible ways to prevent abdominal adhesions and provides an update as comes to where we stand today in research regarding experimental and clinical use of various antiadhesive agents...
- Attempts to improve absolute quantification of cerebral blood flow in dynamic susceptibility contrast magnetic resonance imaging: a simplified T1-weighted steady-state cerebral blood volume approachR Wirestam
Department of Medical Radiation, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Acta Radiol 48:550-6. 2007..Attempts to retrieve absolute values of cerebral blood flow (CBF) by dynamic susceptibility contrast magnetic resonance imaging (DSC-MRI) have typically resulted in overestimations...
- [Time for a European perspective on cardiovascular prevention]Peter M Nilsson
Institutionen för kliniska vetenskaper, medicin, Universitetssjukhuset MAS, Malmo
Lakartidningen 105:1000-4. 2008
- Genes associated with the tumour microenvironment are differentially expressed in cured versus primary chemotherapy-refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphomaJohan Linderoth
Department of Oncology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Br J Haematol 141:423-32. 2008..These findings indicate that a reactive microenvironment has an impact on the outcome of chemotherapy in DLBCL...
- Lactate concentration in umbilical cord blood is gestational age-dependent: a population-based study of 17 867 newbornsN Wiberg
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
BJOG 115:704-9. 2008..To study the influence of gestational age on lactate concentration in arterial and venous umbilical cord blood at birth and to define gestational age-specific reference values for lactate in vigorous newborns...
- Central projections of the sensory innervation of the rat middle meningeal arteryYi Liu
Department of Clinical Medical Sciences, Experimental Vascular Research, BMC A13, Lund University, S 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Brain Res 1208:103-10. 2008..Our data further substantiates that the sensory innervation of the MMA, in addition to putative nociceptive afferents, include a population of large caliber afferents with an as yet unclear but presumably non-nociceptive role...
- Chemical investigations of disperse dyes in patch test preparationsKristina Ryberg
Department of Occupational and Environmental Dermatology, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Contact Dermatitis 58:199-209. 2008..Contact allergy to textile dyes is not uncommon. The allergy is detected by patch testing patients with commercial patch test preparations...
- [Fat intake and cardiovascular health--are we completely malinformed?]Goran Berglund
Institutionen för kliniska vetenskaper, Malmo
Lakartidningen 104:3780-4. 2007
- Effect of hemodialysis on traditional and innovative cardiac markersMartina Montagnana
Sezione di Chimica e Microscopia Clinica, Dipartimento di Scienze Morfologico Biomediche, Universita degli Studi di Verona, Ospedale Policlinico G B Rossi, Verona, Italy
J Clin Lab Anal 22:59-65. 2008..Moreover, IMA might be reliably applied to stratify the long-term risk of these patients, but not for diagnosing an ACS during or immediately post-HD...
- Cardiovascular risk in the metabolic syndrome: fact or fiction?Peter M Nilsson
Department of Clinical Sciences Medicine, University Hospital, S 205 02, Malmo, Sweden
Curr Cardiol Rep 9:479-85. 2007..Useful therapies for the metabolic syndrome include lifestyle modification and drugs that lower conventional cardiovascular risk factors, such as metformin, the "glitazones," and evidence-based drugs...
- Dietary supplementation with carbonate increases expression of ornithine decarboxylase and proliferation in gastric mucosa in a rat model of gastric cancerRoy A Ehrnström
Division of Pathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine of Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Int J Cancer 122:727-33. 2008....
- Apolipoprotein D is elevated in oligodendrocytes in the peri-infarct region after experimental stroke: influence of enriched environmentMattias Rickhag
Laboratory for Experimental Brain Research, Wallenberg Neuroscience Center, University of Lund, Lund, Sweden
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 28:551-62. 2008..Our data strongly suggest that apoD is involved in regenerative processes and scar formation in the peri-infarct area presumably by enhancing lipid trafficking...
- A two-compartment gel phantom for optimization and quality assurance in clinical BOLD fMRIJohan Olsrud
MR Department, Center for Medical Imaging and Physiology, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Magn Reson Imaging 26:279-86. 2008..The phantom is relatively simple to build and can therefore be used by any clinical fMRI center...
- The tale of protein S and C4b-binding protein, a story of affectionBjorn Dahlback
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Clinical Chemistry, Lund University, Wallenberg laboratory 6th floor, University Hospital, Malmo, SE 20502 Malmo, Sweden
Thromb Haemost 98:90-6. 2007
- Prioritization and resource allocation in health care: the views of older people receiving continuous public care and serviceElisabet Werntoft
Department of Health Sciences, and Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Health Expect 10:117-28. 2007....
- Triptans induce vasoconstriction of human arteries and veins from the thoracic wallAngelica Wackenfors
Division of Experimental Vascular Research, Department of Medicine, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 45:476-84. 2005..This response could be observed in only 38% to 57% of the patients, which may provide an explanation for why a similar number of patients experience chest symptoms as a side effect of migraine treatment with triptans...
- LONGITUDINAL STUDY OF NEIGHBORHOOD PREDICTORS OF CVDJan Sundquist; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Genetics, family environment, and neighborhood: impact on mental disordersJAN O SUNDQUIST; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specific aims: Building on partnerships among the Lund University, Stanford University, and the Virginia Commonwealth University, this cross-institutional study will be based ..
- Mothers, Places, and Preterm BirthJAN O SUNDQUIST; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings will be integrated with previous knowledge and results will be disseminated via scientific publications, student learning laboratories, and long-term partnerships with public health practitioners and the lay community. ..