Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Karolinska Institutet
- Citrullinated proteins have increased immunogenicity and arthritogenicity and their presence in arthritic joints correlates with disease severityKarin Lundberg
Rheumatology Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Arthritis Res Ther 7:R458-67. 2005..We also show that citrullinated proteins and the enzyme PAD4 are not detectable in healthy joints, and that the appearance and amounts in arthritic joints of experimental animals are correlated with the severity of inflammation...
- Identification of rat IL-1beta, IL-2, IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha in activated splenocytes by intracellular immunostainingK Palmblad
Centre of Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Institute, and Department of Pediatric Rheumatology, Astrid Lindgren s Children s Hospital, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Biotech Histochem 75:101-9. 2000..This modified staining technology enabled analysis of the kinetic pattern and the frequency of cytokine-producing cells in cultures of rat splenocytes after various modes of polyclonal activation...
- Dynamics of early synovial cytokine expression in rodent collagen-induced arthritis : a therapeutic study using a macrophage-deactivating compoundK Palmblad
Department of Rheumatology, Center for Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Pathol 158:491-500. 2001..Furthermore, CNI-1493 significantly up-regulated synthesis of the anti-inflammatory cytokine TGF-beta and thereby shifted the balance of pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines in the arthritic joint in a beneficial way...
- High mobility group 1 protein (HMG-1) stimulates proinflammatory cytokine synthesis in human monocytesU Andersson
Department of Medicine, Rheumatology Unit, Karolinska Hospital, 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
J Exp Med 192:565-70. 2000..Together, these results indicate that, like other cytokine mediators of endotoxin lethality (e.g., TNF and IL-1), extracellular HMG-1 is a regulator of monocyte proinflammatory cytokine synthesis...
- Successful treatment of collagen-induced arthritis in mice and rats by targeting extracellular high mobility group box chromosomal protein 1 activityR Kokkola
Rheumatology Research Unit, CMM L8 04, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm 171 76, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 48:2052-8. 2003....
- Morphological characterization of receptor activator of NFkappaB ligand (RANKL) and IL-1beta expression in rodent collagen-induced arthritisR J Weiss
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Immunol 62:55-62. 2005..These data support the hypothesis that RANKL and IL-1beta are central contributors to joint destruction in CIA...
- Highly arthritis-susceptible DA rats express IL-1beta in articular cartilageR J Weiss
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Section of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Immunol 69:188-93. 2009..This may offer one explanation of why erosive arthritides are so easily induced in the DA rat and also support the hypothesis that articular chondrocytes may themselves play a major role in cartilage matrix degradation...
- CNI-1493, an inhibitor of proinflammatory cytokines, retards cartilage destruction in rats with collagen induced arthritisE Larsson
Rheumatology Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Hospital, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 64:494-6. 2005..To investigate if administration of CNI-1493, an inhibitor of the synthesis of proinflammatory cytokines and NO, protects against development of joint destruction in collagen induced arthritis (CIA) in rats...
- High mobility group box chromosomal protein 1: a novel proinflammatory mediator in synovitisR Kokkola
Rheumatology Research Unit, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm 171 76, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 46:2598-603. 2002..Macrophages play pivotal roles in the pathogenesis of arthritis. The aim of this study was to determine whether synovial macrophage expression of HMGB-1 is altered in human and experimental synovitis...
- IFN-alpha beta-dependent, IFN-gamma secretion by bone marrow-derived macrophages controls an intracellular bacterial infectionA G Rothfuchs
Microbiology and Tumorbiology Center, Astrid Lindgren s Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Immunol 167:6453-61. 2001..Our findings unravel an autocrine/paracrine macrophage activation pathway by showing an IFN-alphabeta-dependent IFN-gamma and iNOS induction in response to infection, which protects macrophages against intracellular bacterial growth...