Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Karolinska Institutet
- A high-fat meal is accompanied by increased plasma interleukin-6 concentrationsPia Lundman
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, King Gustaf V Research Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 17:195-202. 2007..The aim of the present study was to examine the effects of a high-fat meal on plasma levels of the pro-inflammatory cytokine interleukin-6 (IL-6) and cellular adhesion molecules in CHD patients and control subjects...
- Contribution of haplotypes across the fibrinogen gene cluster to variation in risk of myocardial infarctionMaria Nastase Mannila
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, Karolinska Institutet, King Gustaf V Research Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Thromb Haemost 93:570-7. 2005..93), whereas the least frequent haplotype, FGG-FGA*4 (11.8%), was associated with lower risk of MI (OR 0.79 95%CI 0.64, 0.98). In conclusion, fibrinogen haplotypes, but not SNPs in isolation, are associated with variation in risk of MI...
- Human evidence that the cystatin C gene is implicated in focal progression of coronary artery diseasePer Eriksson
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, King Gustaf V Research Institute, Karolinska Hospital, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:551-7. 2004....
- Association between statin treatment and outcome in relation to renal function in survivors of myocardial infarctionKarolina Szummer
Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Kidney Int 79:997-1004. 2011..Thus, statin use at discharge was associated with improved 1-year survival of patients in stages 2-4 (mild-to-severe) of renal insufficiency. This effect appears attenuated in those with stage 5 renal failure...
- Genetic and environmental influences on the plasma interleukin-6 concentration in patients with a recent myocardial infarction: a case-control studyMarie Bennermo
Department of Clinical Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Danderyd Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Interferon Cytokine Res 31:259-64. 2011..Neither pathogen burden nor IL6 genotype did contribute to the variation of plasma IL-6 levels, whereas smoking, body-mass index, hypertension, case-control status, and age were determinants of the plasma IL-6 concentration...
- Cockcroft-Gault is better than the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease study formula at predicting outcome after a myocardial infarction: data from the Swedish Web-system for Enhancement and Development of Evidence-based care in Heart disease Evaluated Karolina Szummer
Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, Huddinge, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Am Heart J 159:979-86. 2010..The aim was to examine whether the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) or the Cockcroft-Gault (CG) formula is better at predicting prognosis in myocardial infarction (MI) patients...
- Relation of hypertriglyceridemia to plasma concentrations of biochemical markers of inflammation and endothelial activation (C-reactive protein, interleukin-6, soluble adhesion molecules, von Willebrand factor, and endothelin-1)Pia Lundman
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, King Gustaf V Research Institute and Division of Medicine, Danderyd Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Cardiol 91:1128-31. 2003
- High plasma adiponectin concentration is associated with all-cause mortality in patients with carotid atherosclerosisJonas Persson
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Clinical Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Danderyd University Hospital, Sweden
Atherosclerosis 225:491-6. 2012..The role of adiponectin as a risk factor for mortality and recurrent ischemic cardiovascular events in patients with carotid artery disease is unknown...
- MHC2TA is associated with differential MHC molecule expression and susceptibility to rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and myocardial infarctionMaria Swanberg
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Neuroimmunology Unit, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Nat Genet 37:486-94. 2005..We conclude that polymorphisms in Mhc2ta and MHC2TA result in differential MHC molecule expression and are associated with susceptibility to common complex diseases with inflammatory components...
- Fasting glucose, HbA1c, or oral glucose tolerance testing for the detection of glucose abnormalities in patients with acute coronary syndromesCamilla Hage
Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Prev Cardiol 20:549-54. 2013..Due to the negative prognostic impact, it is important to accurately detect undiagnosed glucose perturbations in patients with acute coronary syndromes (ACS)...
- No evidence that the PLA1/PLA2 polymorphism of platelet glycoprotein IIIa is implicated in angiographically characterized coronary atherosclerosis and premature myocardial infarctionJacob Lagercrantz
Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 14:749-53. 2003....
- Sex-Specific Effects of Adiponectin on Carotid Intima-Media Thickness and Incident Cardiovascular DiseaseJonas Persson
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Clinical Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Danderyd University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden J P, B G, P L
J Am Heart Assoc 4:e001853. 2015..In this study, we used a sex-stratified Mendelian randomization approach to investigate whether adiponectin has a causal protective influence on IMT...
- Influence of renal function on the effects of early revascularization in non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction: data from the Swedish Web-System for Enhancement and Development of Evidence-Based Care in Heart Disease Evaluated According to Recommended ThKarolina Szummer
Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Institution of Medicine H7, Huddinge, Karolinska Institutet, 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Circulation 120:851-8. 2009..It is unknown whether patients with non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction derive a similar benefit from an early invasive therapy at different levels of renal function...
- Consumption of saturated fat impairs the anti-inflammatory properties of high-density lipoproteins and endothelial functionStephen J Nicholls
The Heart Research Institute, Sydney, Australia
J Am Coll Cardiol 48:715-20. 2006..The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of dietary fatty acids on the anti-inflammatory properties of high-density lipoproteins (HDL) and vascular function...
- Chinese herbs Danshen and Gegen modulate key early atherogenic events in vitroDaniel P Sieveking
Heart Research Institute, 145 Missenden Road, Camperdown, Sydney, NSW 2050, Australia
Int J Cardiol 105:40-5. 2005..These herbs therefore show the ability to modulate key early events in atherosclerosis...
- A novel common single nucleotide polymorphism in the promoter region of the C-reactive protein gene associated with the plasma concentration of C-reactive proteinAlexander Kovacs
Department of Cardiology, Karolinska Hospital, S 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Atherosclerosis 178:193-8. 2005..The prognostic role and therapeutic implications in CHD and the functionality of this polymorphism remain to be determined...
- Effect of Interleukin-6 promoter polymorphisms in survivors of myocardial infarction and matched controls in the North and South of Europe. The HIFMECH StudyDaniel Kelberman
Centre for Cardiovascular Genetics, Department of Medicine, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, UK
Thromb Haemost 92:1122-8. 2004..Furthermore, no regional difference was observed in the frequency of the -572G>C SNP, suggesting that these polymorphisms are unlikely to be contributing to the observed increased risk of cardiovascular disease in Northern Europe...
- The emerging role of lipoproteins in atherogenesis: beyond LDL cholesterolStephen Nicholls
Heart Research Institute, Sydney, Australia
Semin Vasc Med 4:187-95. 2004..As such, these factors have become important targets in the development of effective strategies to prevent atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease...
- A case report supporting multiple plaque ruptures in CADPer Tornvall
Cardiology 99:214-5. 2003
- Acute triglyceridemia and endothelial functionPia Lundman
Am J Cardiol 90:447. 2002