Affiliation: Karolinska Institutet
- Immunologic properties of human fetal mesenchymal stem cellsCecilia Gotherstrom
Division of Clinical Immunology, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:239-45. 2004..Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) can be isolated from adult bone marrow and fetal liver. We investigated the immunologic properties of undifferentiated and differentiated human fetal MSCs...
- Functional studies of mesenchymal stem cells derived from adult human adipose tissueAndrea Dicker
Department of Medicine, M63, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Exp Cell Res 308:283-90. 2005..Human adipose-tissue-derived MSCs could therefore constitute an efficient and easily obtainable renewable cellular source for studies of adipocyte biology...
- No alloantibodies against mesenchymal stromal cells, but presence of anti-fetal calf serum antibodies, after transplantation in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell recipientsMikael Sundin
Division of Clinical Immunology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Haematologica 92:1208-15. 2007..The objective of this study was to investigate whether antibodies against MSC were present after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) including treatment with matched or mismatched allogeneic MSC...
- Defined serum- and xeno-free cryopreservation of mesenchymal stem cellsShahla Hamza Al-Saqi
Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, K57, Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, 141 86, Stockholm, Sweden
Cell Tissue Bank 16:181-93. 2015..Furthermore, Ad-MSCs and BM-MSCs are differently affected by the cryoprotectants, which may have implications for cell therapy...
- Fetal mesenchymal stem-cell engraftment in bone after in utero transplantation in a patient with severe osteogenesis imperfectaKatarina Le Blanc
Center for Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Transplantation 79:1607-14. 2005..Adult human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-matched MSC have been used in cellular therapies of bone disorders such as osteogenesis imperfecta, with promising results...
- Difference in gene expression between human fetal liver and adult bone marrow mesenchymal stem cellsCecilia Gotherstrom
Division of Clinical Immunology, F79, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Haematologica 90:1017-26. 2005..Fetal and adult MSC have similar morphology but differ in proliferative, differentiating and immunosuppressive properties. Further exploring their differences could help in choosing the right source for cellular therapy...
- A research study of the association between maternal microchimerism and systemic lupus erythematosus in adults: a comparison between patients and healthy controls based on single-nucleotide polymorphism using quantitative real-time PCRAnna Maria Jonsson Kanold
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Center for Fetal Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
PLoS ONE 8:e74534. 2013..Systemic Lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an autoimmune disorder with a resemblance to graft-versus-host disease. The aim of this study was to investigate the association between maternal microchimerism in the blood and SLE...
- Cancer/testis antigen expression in human mesenchymal stem cells: down-regulation of SSX impairs cell migration and matrix metalloproteinase 2 expressionGarth Cronwright
Department of Oncology and Pathology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
Cancer Res 65:2207-15. 2005..In addition, E-cadherin expression increases, mimicking a mesenchymal epithelial transition. These results afford SSX a functional role in normal stem cell migration and suggest a potentially similar function in cancer cell metastases...
- Human neural stem/progenitor cells derived from embryonic stem cells and fetal nervous system present differences in immunogenicity and immunomodulatory potentials in vitroJia Liu
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet, Novum, Stockholm, Sweden
Stem Cell Res 10:325-37. 2013..To conclude, hESC-NPCs and hfNPCs displayed similarities but also significant differences in their immunocompetence and interaction with allogeneic PBMCs, differences may be crucial for the outcome of cell therapy...
- Identification of maternal hematopoietic cells in a 2nd-trimester fetusCecilia Gotherstrom
Division of Clinical Immunology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Fetal Diagn Ther 20:355-8. 2005..To study the subset of maternal cells in fetal tissue in a 2nd-trimester fetus with malformations...
- Fetal and adult multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells are killed by different pathwaysCecilia Gotherstrom
Division of Clinical Immunology and Transfusion Medicine, Cancer Center Karolinska, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Cytotherapy 13:269-78. 2011..Recently, there has been considerable interest in MSC because they have features favorable for transplantation, namely their multipotency and non-immunogenic properties...
- Treatment of severe acute graft-versus-host disease with third party haploidentical mesenchymal stem cellsKatarina Le Blanc
Division of Clinical Immunology and Centre for Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Lancet 363:1439-41. 2004..Clinical response was striking. The patient is now well after 1 year. We postulate that mesenchymal stem cells have a potent immunosuppressive effect in vivo...
- Amniotic fluid - a source for clinical therapeutics in the newborn?Asa Ekblad
1Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Stem Cells Dev 24:1405-14. 2015..This study shows that AF is a heterogeneous cell source, with high donor variation. Therefore, it may not be the best source for autologous cell therapy. ..
- Functional characterization of human mesenchymal stem cell-derived adipocytesMikael Ryden
Department of Medicine, Center of Metabolism and Endocrinology, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge University Hospital, 141 86, Stockholm, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 311:391-7. 2003..These systems could be of great value in adipocyte research as a renewable source of adipocytes...
- Defined serum-free media for in vitro expansion of adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cellsShahla Hamza Al-Saqi
Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden Electronic address
Cytotherapy 16:915-26. 2014..The aim of this study was to evaluate a defined serum-free medium for in vitro expansion of MSCs as a prerequisite for their clinical use...
- Immunomodulation by multipotent mesenchymal stromal cellsCecilia Gotherstrom
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Clinical Immunology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Transplantation 84:S35-7. 2007..The unique properties of MSC suggest emerging roles for them in cell therapy and in the treatment of immunomediated diseases...
- Stem cell transplantation before birth - a realistic option for treatment of osteogenesis imperfecta?Magnus Westgren
Center for Fetal Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Prenat Diagn 35:827-32. 2015..In this review, we summarize what is currently known in this field...