Genomes and Genes
Karolinska University Hospital
Organization: Karolinska University Hospital
- Experimental extracorporeal membrane oxygenation reduces central venous pressure: an adjunct to control of venous hemorrhage?Magnus Larsson
Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Perfusion 25:217-23. 2010..We hypothesized that venoarterial ECMO could reduce the central venous pressure in the trauma scenario, thus, alleviating major venous hemorrhage...
- Influence of spontaneous pursed lips breathing on walking endurance and oxygen saturation in patients with moderate to severe chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseG Faager
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Division of Physiotherapy, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Rehabil 22:675-83. 2008..To evaluate how spontaneously used pursed lips breathing influences walking endurance, oxygen saturation and dyspnoea in patients with moderate to severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
- Children with high and intermediate imperforate anus: remembering and talking about medical treatment carried out early in lifeMaria Ojmyr-Joelsson
Pediatric Surgery Unit, Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Pediatr Surg Int 24:1009-15. 2008..Parent-child discussions about the child's experiences of medical treatment did not seem to be harmful or in any other way detrimental to the child, instead such discussions seemed to facilitate the child's psychosocial functioning...
- Disclosure of incurable illness to spouses: do they want to know? A Swedish population-based follow-up studyHanna Dahlstrand
Radiumhemmet, Department of Oncology, Karolinska University Hospital, 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Oncol 26:3372-9. 2008..We wanted to determine whether male spouses of cancer patients who died from their disease had received information that the illness was incurable and to determine their preferences of disclosure. Participants and..
- The pharyngoesophageal segment in laryngectomees--videoradiographic, acoustic, and voice quality perceptual dataElisabet Lundström
Department of Logopedics and Phoniatrics, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Logoped Phoniatr Vocol 33:115-25. 2008..The conclusion of this study was that there were no specified differences in the PE segment between TE speakers and E speakers, but that there were large individual differences within each speaker group...
- Brain imaging with a flat detector C-arm : Technique and clinical interest of XperCTM Soderman
Department of Neuroradiology, Karolinska Hospital, 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
Neuroradiology 50:863-8. 2008..We present the first clinical results from brain tissue imaging with a novel functionality in the angiography room, the XperCT...
- Subthalamic stimulation for essential tremor. Short- and long-term results and critical target areaGöran Lind
Department of Neurosurgery, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 86:253-8. 2008..In order to explore the usefulness and long-term result of subthalamic nucleus (STN) stimulation for the treatment of essential tremor (ET), we evaluated 3 groups of patients undergoing deep brain stimulation (DBS) for ET...
- Mesenchymal stem cells exert differential effects on alloantigen and virus-specific T-cell responsesHelen Karlsson
Molecular Immunology Unit, Institute of Child Health, London, United Kingdom
Blood 112:532-41. 2008..These data have major implications for immunotherapy of GVHD with MSCs and suggest that the effector functions of virus-specific T cells may be retained after MSC infusion...
- [Long-lasting pain in childhood and adolescence can and should be treated. The problem is common and leads to great suffering]Gösta Alfvén
Lakartidningen 105:720-2. 2008
- Caregiver strain in Parkinson's disease and the impact of disease durationJ Lokk
Institution of Neurobiology, Caring Sciences Society Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 44:39-45. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate CG strain of PD patients with regarding different psychosocial domains and the influence of PD/CG duration of PD...
- Genetic profile of ischemic cerebrovascular disease and carotid stenosisK Kostulas
Department of Neurology, Neuro Angiological Research Center, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden
Acta Neurol Scand 118:146-52. 2008..Here we report the distribution of 100 polymorphisms in 47 suspected susceptibility genes for ICVD and its risk factors...
- Indolent lung cancers--time for a paradigm shift: a reviewGunnar Hillerdal
Department of Pulmonary Medicine and Allergy, Karolinska University, Stockholm, Sweden
J Thorac Oncol 3:208-11. 2008..e., whether it is indolent or actually threatens the patient's life, we will be able to give better advice...
- Neonatal hip instability: a prospective comparison of clinical examination and anterior dynamic ultrasoundT Finnbogason
Department of Pediatric Radiology, Astrid Lindgren Children s Hospital, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Radiol 49:212-9. 2008..Ultrasound is increasingly being used to complement the clinical examination in assessing neonatal hip instability. The clinical examination, although highly sensitive in detecting hip instability, can lead to considerable overtreatment...
- Depressive illness in Parkinson's disease--indication of a more advanced and widespread neurodegenerative process?S E Palhagen
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Division of Neurology Huddinge, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Neurol Scand 117:295-304. 2008....
- Catheter-guided open ligation of a pulmonary artery to left atrium connectionTorbjorn Ivert
Karolinska University Hospital, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Anesthesiology, Stockholm, Sweden
Congenit Heart Dis 3:303-5. 2008..A novel technique was to use an angiographic catheter inserted through the wide shunt into the left atrium before the operation to securely identify it at the surgical dissection...
- Insulin sensitivity, VO2max and body composition in severely obese Swedish children and adolescentsGunilla Morinder
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Division of Physiotherapy, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Acta Paediatr 98:132-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to identify relationships between insulin sensitivity (SI), cardiorespiratory fitness and body composition in severely obese Swedish children and adolescents...
- Risk factors for malnutrition after oesophageal and cardia cancer surgeryL Martin
Unit of Oesophageal and Gastric Research, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Surg 95:1362-8. 2008..Oesophageal cancer surgery is often followed by malnutrition, but the factors causing weight loss are unknown. The aim of this population-based study was to identify such risk factors...
- Different types of dizziness in patients with peripheral vestibular diseases--their prevalence and relation to migraineTatjana Tomanovic
Department of Hearing and Balance Disorders, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Otolaryngol 130:1024-30. 2010..The sensation of static tilt was closely connected to migraine and Meniere's disease (MD)...
- GVHD prophylaxis using low-dose cyclosporine improves survival in leukaemic recipients of HLA-identical sibling transplantsRichard Olsson
Centre for Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden
Eur J Haematol 84:323-31. 2010....
- A longitudinal study of hearing decline in women with Turner syndromeChristina Hederstierna
Division of Otorhinolaryngology and Hearing, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Otolaryngol 129:1434-41. 2009..The hearing decline seems to consist of two patterns: a mid-frequency dip, likely of a genetic origin, and a high-frequency loss resembling age-related hearing impairment -- possibly influenced by estrogen deficiency...
- Feasibility of T-cell-based adoptive immunotherapy in the first 12 patients with advanced urothelial urinary bladder cancer. Preliminary data on a new immunologic treatment based on the sentinel node conceptAmir Sherif
Department of Urology, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur Urol 58:105-11. 2010..Metinel nodes (MNs) drain secondarily from metastatic tumors and also possess tumor-reactive lymphocytes, which might be a source for adoptive T-cell immunotherapy...
- Pregnant women are satisfied with the information they receive about prenatal diagnosis, but are their decisions well informed?Kjerstin Ferm Widlund
Department of Pathology and Genetics, Division of Genetics, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 88:1128-32. 2009....
- Accuracy in documentation - a study of peripheral venous cathetersMargary Ahlqvist
Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology, Division of Surgery, Karolinska Institutet at Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm SE 14186, Sweden
J Clin Nurs 18:1945-52. 2009..The aim was to explore the extent of postinsertion documentation of peripheral venous catheters (PVCs) in patients' medical records, including the descriptions used to explain the PVC insertion site and determinants of PVC documentation...
- Repeat infection with Chlamydia trachomatis: a prospective cohort study from an STI-clinic in StockholmKarin Edgardh
Dept of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sesam City, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Public Health 9:198. 2009..The concern of the study is whether a Chlamydia infection at inclusion indicates an increased risk for Chlamydia at follow-up after 6-8 months, gender-specific risk factors for and clinical presentation of repeat infections...
- Clinical aspects of fertility preservation in female patientsKenny A Rodriguez Macias Wallberg
Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Fertility Unit, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Pediatr Blood Cancer 53:254-60. 2009..It is often possible to save ovarian tissue even though the first chemotherapy courses have been undergone, but many more follicles can be stored before cancer treatment...
- Gonadal hormones in men with rheumatoid arthritis--from onset through 2 yearsBirgitta Tengstrand
Department of Rheumatology, Unit of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of ClinicalChemistry, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
J Rheumatol 36:887-92. 2009..To evaluate changes over a 2-year course in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis in men with early rheumatoid arthritis (RA) from start of treatment with disease modifying antirheumatic drugs...
- Pediatric emergency and critical care in low-income countriesTim Baker
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institute, Section for Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Paediatr Anaesth 19:23-7. 2009..Integration with obstetrics, adult medicine and surgery in a combined emergency and critical care service would concentrate resources and expertise...
- Improved patient survival for acute myeloid leukemia: a population-based study of 9729 patients diagnosed in Sweden between 1973 and 2005Asa Rangert Derolf
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna and Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Blood 113:3666-72. 2009..However, the majority of AML patients die of their disease and age remains an important predictor of prognosis. New effective agents with a more favorable toxicity profile are needed to improve survival, particularly in the elderly...
- Hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance, early cardiovascular risk factors in children with chronic kidney diseaseYlva Tranaeus Lindblad
Division of Pediatrics, Intervention and Technology, Karolinska Institute and Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Blood Purif 26:518-25. 2008..We hypothesize that insulin abnormalities are present also in pediatric mild to moderate CKD, and associated with inflammation and malnutrition...
- Voxel-based correlation between coregistered single-photon emission computed tomography and dynamic susceptibility contrast magnetic resonance imaging in subjects with suspected Alzheimer diseaseL Cavallin
Division of Radiology, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Radiol 49:1154-61. 2008..Neuroimaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) could be valuable in the differential diagnosis of Alzheimer disease, as well as in assessing prognosis...
- Molecular epidemiology of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases among Escherichia coli isolates collected in a Swedish hospital and its associated health care facilities from 2001 to 2006Hong Fang
Department of Clinical Microbiology, F68, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 46:707-12. 2008..The study also indicated that both clonal spread of epidemic strains and transfer of transposable genetic elements might contribute to the proliferation of ESBLs...
- Infliximab dosage and infusion frequency in clinical practice: experiences in the Stockholm biologics registry STURER F van Vollenhoven
Department of Rheumatology, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Rheumatol 36:418-23. 2007..To characterize dosages and frequencies of infliximab in a publicly financed health-care system without administrative restrictions on the use of biologics...
- [Citalopram is not safe from the cardiac point of view--SSRI preparations can cause prolonged QTc time]Ingegerd Odar-Cederlof
Avdelningen för klinisk farmakologi, Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset, Huddinge
Lakartidningen 103:1112-4. 2006
- Paradoxical results in urine drug testing for 6-acetylmorphine and total opiates: implications for best analytical strategyOlof Beck
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
J Anal Toxicol 30:73-9. 2006..It is concluded that 6-AM is a valuable target analyte in the screening of drugs of abuse in urine and may be used in combination with opiate screening in clinical testing...
- No signs of immunoactivation in the cerebrospinal fluid during treatment with infliximabM Andersson
Neuroimmunology Unit, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 65:1237-40. 2006..Induction of systemic IFNgamma production may still be relevant in neuroinflammation associated with treatment with anti-TNFalpha...
- Longitudinal isovolumic displacement of the left ventricular myocardium assessed by tissue velocity echocardiography in healthy individualsBritta Lind
Department of Clinical Physiology, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 19:255-65. 2006....
- The effects of experimental venous carbon dioxide embolization on hemodynamic and respiratory variablesU Jersenius
Section of Surgery, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:156-62. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the cardiopulmonary effects in a pig model during a time period of 4 h after an experimental CO2 embolization...
- Treatment with combined oral contraceptives induces a rise in serum C-reactive protein in the absence of a general inflammatory responseM van Rooijen
Department of Woman and Child Health, Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Thromb Haemost 4:77-82. 2006..C-reactive protein (CRP) is the strongest independent predictor of myocardial infarction and stroke in women. Recent studies have indicated that CRP levels are raised during use of combined oral contraceptives (COCs)...
- Outcome after the introduction of a multimodality treatment program for locally advanced rectal cancerG Palmer
Department of Surgery, Karolinska University Hospital and Karolinska Institute, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Surg Oncol 31:727-34. 2005....
- [Basal cell cancer should primarily be treated surgically. There are a lot of alternative therapeutic methods but few comparative studies]Bernt Lindelof
Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset Solna
Lakartidningen 102:1650-1. 2005
- Back extensor muscle fatigue in patients with lumbar disc herniation. Pre-operative and post-operative analysis of electromyography, endurance time and subjective factorsAsa Dedering
Department of Physical Therapy, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Eur Spine J 15:559-69. 2006..There is an association between muscle fatigue and endurance with activity limitations, participation restrictions, self-efficacy and health in patients undergoing surgery for lumbar disc herniation...
- A randomized prospective study of valvulotome efficacy in in situ reconstructionsJ Malmstedt
Department of Vascular Surgery, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 30:52-6. 2005..To compare the efficacy of valvulotomes during in situ bypass surgery...
- Menopausal hormone therapy after breast cancer: the Stockholm randomized trialEva von Schoultz
Department of Oncology, Karolinska University Hospital and Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:533-5. 2005..Doses of estrogen and progestogen and treatment regimens for menopausal hormone therapy may be associated with the recurrence of breast cancer...
- The new definition of myocardial infarction--can we use it?Stefan Agewall
Department of Cardiology, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Cardiol 28:77-80. 2005..A joint committee of the European Society of Cardiology and the American College of Cardiology (ESC/ACC) recently redefined myocardial infarction...
- [Fetal neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia--underdiagnosed complication. A joint management strategy is missing]Eleonor Tiblad
Kvinnokliniken, Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset Huddinge, Stockholm
Lakartidningen 102:130-2. 2005
- Regional differences in nitric oxide-mediated vasorelaxation in porcine pulmonary arteriesD Rimeika
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital and Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:947-53. 2006..In addition, possible differences in vascular responses to nitroprusside or secondary to acetylcholine- or bradykinin-stimulated NO production were studied in dorsal and ventral pulmonary arteries...
- Clinical aspects of parvovirus B19 infectionK Broliden
Department of Medicine, Solna, Unit of Infectious Diseases, Center for Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Intern Med 260:285-304. 2006..Recent advances in diagnosis and pathogenesis, new insights in the cellular immune response and newly discovered genotypes of human parvoviruses form a platform for the development of modern therapeutic and prophylactic alternatives...
- Intravenous pamidronate treatment of infants with severe osteogenesis imperfectaEva Aström
Department of Woman and Child Health, Astrid Lindgren Children s Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Dis Child 92:332-8. 2007..Children with the severe forms of osteogenesis imperfecta have in several studies been treated with intravenous pamidronate, but there are only few reports of the effect of early treatment...
- Allogeneic stem cell transplantation: low immunoglobulin levels associated with decreased survivalA C Norlin
Department of Clinical Immunology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Bone Marrow Transplant 41:267-73. 2008..04) and an increased incidence of transplant-related mortality (27 vs 9%, P<0.01). IgG levels generally increase after SCT. Persistent low levels of IgG are a risk factor for death after SCT...
- Randomized withdrawal of long-term prednisolone treatment in rheumatoid arthritis: effects on inflammation and bone mineral densityB Tengstrand
Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Rheumatol 36:351-8. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate how long-term GC treatment in RA affects inflammation as well as bone density, and also to investigate the feasibility of withdrawal of GC...
- Surgery for ventricular tachycardia in patients undergoing surgical ventricular restoration: the Karolinska approachUlrik Sartipy
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Anesthesiology, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
J Interv Card Electrophysiol 19:171-8. 2007..8%. A practical guide to the pre- and postoperative management of these patients is provided...
- Inflammatory muscle disease: clinical presentation and assessment of patientsHelene Alexanderson
Department of Physical Therapy, Rheumatology Unit D2 07, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna SE 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
Curr Rheumatol Rep 9:273-9. 2007....
- [Percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with multiple diseases is not evidence-based. Risk of increasing long-term mortality because of indication sliding]Staffan Bjessmo
Lakartidningen 104:1780-2. 2007
- Promising long-term health-related quality of life after high-dose-rate brachytherapy boost for localized prostate cancerThomas Wahlgren
Department of Oncology Pathology, Karolinska University Hospital and Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69:662-70. 2007....
- The importance of impaired physical health and age in normal cognitive agingIngvar Bergman
Neurotec Department, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden
Scand J Psychol 48:115-25. 2007..Because the prevalent diseases in normal aging are potentially preventable, the present findings promise good prospect for prevention of future cognitive disability among elderly people...
- Perinatal infection with Group B streptococciKarin Pettersson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 12:193-7. 2007..In many European countries, a risk-based strategy is recommended. Vaccination may, in the future, be an alternative in preventing GBS infection in newborns...
- Phase II study of three dose levels of continuous erythropoietin receptor activator (C.E.R.A.) in anaemic patients with aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma receiving combination chemotherapyAnders Osterborg
Departments of Oncology and Haematology, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Haematol 136:736-44. 2007..C.E.R.A. was generally well tolerated in all three groups. C.E.R.A. appeared to have dose-dependent clinical activity in most anaemic patients with aggressive NHL who were receiving chemotherapy...
- Coagulation abnormalities associated with severe isolated traumatic brain injury: cerebral arterio-venous differences in coagulation and inflammatory markersMichael Nekludov
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Karolinska University Hospital and Institutet, 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
J Neurotrauma 24:174-80. 2007..IL-6 and activation of the complement system (C5b-9) co-vary with hemostatic parameters in TBI patients...
- Colon cancer management and outcome in relation to individual hospitals in a defined populationA Sjövall
Department of Surgery, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Surg 94:491-9. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the management and treatment of colon cancer in the region and to try to identify ways to improve the outcome further...
- Different concentrations of I-123 MIBG and In-111 pentetreotide in the two main liver lobes in children: persisting regional functional differences after birth?Hans Jacobsson
Department of Radiology, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Nucl Med 32:24-8. 2007..This phenomenon was studied in retrospect from clinical examinations...
- Serum C-reactive protein response to percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with unstable or stable angina pectoris is associated with the risk of clinical restenosisNawsad Saleh
Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Atherosclerosis 195:374-8. 2007..The aim of the present study was to investigate the role of C-reactive protein response to PCI in the risk of clinical restenosis or new coronary stenosis, considering PCI as a model to stimulate inflammation...
- Somatostatin receptor scintigraphy with 99mTc-Depreotide (NeoSpect) in discriminating between malignant and benign lesions in the diagnosis of lung cancer: a pilot studyM Baath
Division of Radiology, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Radiol 45:833-9. 2004..To evaluate the diagnostic value of a new somatostatin analog, 99mTc-Depreotide, in differentiating benign from malignant lesions in patients with pulmonary nodules or masses...