Genomes and Genes
Organization: Karolinska Institutet
- A recombinant vaccine effectively induces c5a-specific neutralizing antibodies and prevents arthritisKutty Selva Nandakumar
Medical Inflammation Research, Department of Experimental Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
PLoS ONE 5:e13511. 2010..To develop and validate a recombinant vaccine to attenuate inflammation in arthritis by sustained neutralization of the anaphylatoxin C5a...
- Genetic aspects of cluster headacheChristina Sjöstrand
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Expert Rev Neurother 9:359-68. 2009..Collaborative multicenter studies on large clinically well-defined materials are needed to reach a better understanding of the complex genetic background of CH...
- Tracing immunity to human leishmaniasisSusanne Nylen
Department of Microbiology, Tumor Biology and Cell Biology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Future Microbiol 4:241-54. 2009....
- A modified epitope identified for generation and monitoring of PSA-specific T cells in patients on early phases of PSA-based immunotherapeutic protocolsKajsa Lundberg
Department of Oncology and Pathology, Cancer Center Karolinska R8 01, Immune and Gene Therapy Laboratory, Karolinska Institute, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Vaccine 27:1557-65. 2009....
- Long-term dietary acrylamide intake and breast cancer risk in a prospective cohort of Swedish womenSusanna C Larsson
Division of Nutritional Epidemiology, National Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Epidemiol 169:376-81. 2009..These findings for Swedish women do not support the hypothesis that dietary acrylamide is positively associated with risk of breast cancer, at least not within the ranges of acrylamide consumed by this population...
- Short stature, smoking habits and birth outcome in international adoptees in SwedenCecilia Ekeus
Department of Woman and Child Health, Division of Reproductive and Perinatal Health, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 87:1309-14. 2008..To investigate short stature and smoking habits as risk factors for birth outcome in international adoptees in comparison with non-adopted mothers...
- Perceived needs and satisfaction with care in people with multiple sclerosis: a two-year prospective studyCharlotte Ytterberg
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, and Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Neurol 8:36. 2008..The aim was to explore the perceived needs and satisfaction with care amongst PwMS over a two-year period, also taking sex and disease severity into consideration...
- Collateral reinnervation by the superior laryngeal nerve after recurrent laryngeal nerve injuryJonas Hydman
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Section of Neurosurgery R2 02, Karolinska Institute, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Muscle Nerve 38:1280-9. 2008..This may be important when choosing surgical and/or medical treatment for patients with RLN injury...
- [Management of thrombocyte inhibitors prior to surgery. Too early withdrawal can result in severe risks for the patient]Michael Lagerkranser
Lakartidningen 105:2188-9. 2008
- CPOE in Iran--a viable prospect? Physicians' opinions on using CPOE in an Iranian teaching hospitalAlireza Kazemi
Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics LIME, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Med Inform 78:199-207. 2009..Understanding the current prescription process and a proper needs assessment of prescribers can act as the key to successful implementation...
- Reflecting peer-support groups in the prevention of stress and burnout: randomized controlled trialUlla Peterson
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Section for Personal Injury Prevention, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Adv Nurs 63:506-16. 2008..This paper is a report of a study to test the effect of participating in a reflecting peer-support group on self-reported health, burnout and on perceived changes in work conditions...
- Timing-dependent effects of restraint stress on eosinophilic airway inflammation in miceS Kumlien Georén
Division of ENT Diseases, Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology, Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Neuroimmunomodulation 15:157-64. 2008..The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of timing of single short restraint stress (RST) in a model of eosinophilic airway inflammation...
- Women with non-Swedish speaking background and their children: a longitudinal study of uptake of care and maternal and child healthHelena Fabian
Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Paediatr 97:1721-8. 2008..To study uptake of care at the antenatal and child health clinic (CHC), and maternal and child health up to 5 years after the birth, as reported by mothers with a non-Swedish speaking background (NSB)...
- Mechanisms of fatigue induced by isometric contractions in exercising humans and in mouse isolated single muscle fibresNicolas Place
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:334-9. 2009..To further increase the understanding of fatigue mechanisms in humans, we propose future studies using in vitro stimulation patterns that are closer to the in vivo situation...
- 25-hydroxyvitamin D accumulation during summer in elderly women at latitude 60 degrees NAnn Burgaz
Division of Nutritional Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Intern Med 266:476-83. 2009..During April to September, 25(OH)D status may be improved by solar exposure. In this study, we measured seasonal differences in serum 25(OH)D concentrations and identified the major predictors of summer 25(OH)D concentrations...
- Separate and overlapping metabolic functions of LXRalpha and LXRbeta in C57Bl/6 female miceMarion Korach-Andre
Dept of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, S 141 57 Huddinge, Sweden
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 298:E167-78. 2010..We conclude that selective LXRbeta agonists would be novel pharmaceuticals in the treatment of T2D...
- Local delivery of hyaluronan as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitisAnnsofi Johannsen
Dental Hygiene Program and Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden
J Periodontol 80:1493-7. 2009..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the adjunctive effect of the local application of a hyaluronan gel to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitis...
- Inhibition of lipid antigen presentation in dendritic cells by HIV-1 Vpu interference with CD1d recycling from endosomal compartmentsMarkus Moll
Center for Infectious Medicine, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Blood 116:1876-84. 2010....
- Remodeling in asthma and COPD--differences and similaritiesC Magnus Skold
Department Medicine, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Respir J 4:20-7. 2010..However, both asthma and COPD are heterogeneous disorders including various phenotypes and there is a considerable overlap between the two diseases...
- Comparison of analytical approaches for liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry determination of the alcohol biomarker ethyl glucuronide in urineAnders Helander
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Stockholm, Sweden
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 24:1737-43. 2010..These results indicate that the likelihood of different analytical methods to provide reliable analytical results depends on the reporting limit applied...
- Migraine and olfactory stimuliChristina Sjöstrand
Headache Research Centre, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Curr Pain Headache Rep 14:244-51. 2010..Migraine pathophysiology likely explains this particular vulnerability. We discuss these pathophysiologic mechanisms and hypotheses relating odour intolerances and migraine...
- Primary hyperparathyroidism in pregnancy: a diagnostic and therapeutic challengeI L Nilsson
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 19:1117-21. 2010..Our two cases illustrate both the importance of and the difficulty in detecting pHPT during pregnancy, as well as some of the serious complications that may occur during pregnancy and after delivery...
- Changes in perceived health between one and five years after stroke: a randomized controlled trial of early supported discharge with continued rehabilitation at home versus conventional rehabilitationCharlotte Ytterberg
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Division of Physiotherapy, Fack 23 100, 141 83 Huddinge, Sweden
J Neurol Sci 294:86-8. 2010..The aim of this study was to explore changes over time in perceived health status over the five years after stroke onset...
- Influence of oral contraceptives on endogenous pain control in healthy womenTaraneh Rezaii
Division of Clinical Oral Physiology, Department of Dental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Box 4064, SE 141 04, Huddinge, Sweden
Exp Brain Res 203:329-38. 2010..027). There were no significant differences between groups or sessions in estradiol levels. These results indicate that endogenous pain modulation may be less effective in OC users...
- Balancing the good - a critical discourse analysis of home modification servicesKarin Johansson
Department of Neurobiology, Caring Sciences and Society, Division of Occupational Therapy, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Sociol Health Illn 32:563-82. 2010..Understanding the moral dimensions that enter into the complexity of allocation of home modification services across institutional settings has implications for the policies of and practices for the allocation of welfare resources...
- Sex differences in the incidence of gastrointestinal adenocarcinoma in Sweden 1970-2006Martin Rutegård
Upper GastroIntestinal Research UGIR, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Cancer 46:1093-100. 2010..An endogenous factor, such as premenopausal oestrogen exposure, may act protectively in favour of women and might be detected by scrutinising sex ratios and incidence rates stratified by age...
- Amygdala-dependent fear conditioning in humans is modulated by the BDNFval66met polymorphismTina B Lonsdorf
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Psychology Section, Stockholm Brain Institute, Karolinska Institutet
Behav Neurosci 124:9-15. 2010..We suggest that the BDNF met-allele may have a protective effect for the development of affective pathologies that may be mediated via reduced synaptic plasticity induced by negative experience...
- Health effects of a subway environment in healthy volunteersA Klepczynska Nyström
Dept of Public Health Sciences, Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Norrbacka, 4th Floor, SE 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Eur Respir J 36:240-8. 2010..Our studies show that using gravimetric estimates of ambient particulate air pollution alone may have clear limitations in health-risk assessment...
- Visfatin is increased in chronic kidney disease patients with poor appetite and correlates negatively with fasting serum amino acids and triglyceride levelsJuan J Carrero
Divisions of Renal Medicine and Baxter Novum, Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Nephrol Dial Transplant 25:901-6. 2010..We hypothesized that increased visfatin levels in CKD patients may be involved in the regulation of appetite and nutrient homeostasis...
- Comparison of protein expression in two prostate cancer cell-lines, LNCaP and DU145, after treatment with somatostatinZhaoxu Liu
Department of Urology, Qilu Hospital School of Nursing, Shandong University, Jinan, PR China
Oncol Rep 22:1451-8. 2009..Regulation of certain proteins (e.g., RKIP, VDACs) by sms/smsdx suggests that sms/smsdx exerts its effects on prostate cancer cells via MAPK pathway and by regulating the activities of phosphotyrosine phosphatases...
- Association of physical activity with cancer incidence, mortality, and survival: a population-based study of menN Orsini
Division of Nutritional Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Cancer 98:1864-9. 2008..Our results suggest that higher levels of PA and the main component of active living, walking or bicycling are associated with reduced cancer incidence and mortality, as well as higher cancer survival...
- Introduction: Inflammatory bowel disease: a complex systemic disease engaging multiple players outside the immune systemS Pettersson
Division of Molecular Pathology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Intern Med 263:574-6. 2008
- [MET: an intensive care (r)evolution. Strong medical and ethical reasons for introducing a mobile emergency team]David Konrad
Centrala intensivvårdsavdelningen, Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset Solna, Stockholm
Lakartidningen 103:3594-5. 2006
- Association analysis of the LAG3 and CD4 genes in multiple sclerosis in two independent populationsFrida Lundmark
Division of Neurology, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet at Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
J Neuroimmunol 180:193-8. 2006..The result, including a total of 2640 MS patients and 2194 controls shows no significant association with CD4 and LAG3 and MS. We conclude that these genes are of minor importance in regard of genetic predisposition to the MS...
- Specificity and effector mechanisms of autoantibodies in congenital heart blockMarie Wahren-Herlenius
Rheumatology Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Curr Opin Immunol 18:690-6. 2006..Early intrauterine treatment of an incomplete AV-block with fluorinated steroids has been shown to prevent progression of the heart block, making it clinically important to find specific markers to identify the high-risk pregnancies...
- Interpreting trends in cancer patient survivalP W Dickman
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden, and Department of Epidemiology, Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA
J Intern Med 260:103-17. 2006..Our aim was to lay out the strengths and limitations of survival analysis as a tool in the evaluation of progress in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer...
- Corticotropin-releasing hormone, its binding protein and receptors in human cervical tissue at preterm and term labor in comparison to non-pregnant stateAurelija Klimaviciute
Dept of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 4:29. 2006....
- Mitral valve insufficiency and left ventricular remodeling in identical twinsAnders Franco-Cereceda
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Anaesthesia, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:1400-1. 2006
- Mesenchymal stem cells are susceptible to human herpesviruses, but viral DNA cannot be detected in the healthy seropositive individualM Sundin
Division of Clinical Immunology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Bone Marrow Transplant 37:1051-9. 2006..However, MSC may be susceptible to infection if infused in a patient with CMV or HSV-1 viremia. MSC transplantation may compromise the host's defense against infectious agents...
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene (BDNF) variants and schizophrenia: an association studyErik G Jonsson
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, HUBIN project, Karolinska Institutet and Hospital, R5 00, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:924-33. 2006..Thus, the BDNF gene may confer susceptibility to schizophrenia. Additional studies are warranted to shed further light on this possibility...
- The XPD 751Gln allele is associated with an increased risk for esophageal adenocarcinoma: a population-based case-control study in SwedenWeimin Ye
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, SE 171 77, Sweden
Carcinogenesis 27:1835-41. 2006..Other studied variants were not found to be related to the three tumors. Our study suggests that XPD 751Gln allele is a potential genetic marker for susceptibility to esophageal adenocarcinoma...
- Substitution of bovine dentine sialoprotein with chondroitin sulfate glycosaminoglycan chainsRachael V Sugars
Centre for Oral Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Institute of Odontology, Sweden
Eur J Oral Sci 114:89-92. 2006..These results support the classification of bovine DSP as a proteoglycan, and that the carbohydrate substitutions may contribute to the functional properties of DSP...
- Lack of interchangeability between visual analogue and verbal rating pain scales: a cross sectional description of pain etiology groupsIrene Lund
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, SE 171 77, Sweden
BMC Med Res Methodol 5:31. 2005..Interchangeability of recorded pain intensity captured in the two scales has been discussed earlier, but not in conjunction with taking the influence of pain etiology into consideration...
- MIC determination of fusidic acid and of ciprofloxacin using multidisk diffusion testsG Kronvall
Clinical Microbiology MTC, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska Hospitals, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Microbiol Infect 6:483-9. 2000..To investigate the possibility of estimating the MICs of fusidic acid and ciprofloxacin for bacterial isolates using series of antibiotic disk concentrations in diffusion tests, so-called M-tests...
- Isolation and chromosomal localization of a new human retinoblastoma binding protein 2 homologue 1a (RBBP2H1A)V Kashuba
Microbiology and Tumor Biology Center, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Hum Genet 8:407-13. 2000..The mRNA sizes corresponding to two major products are around 6kb and 7kb. Using fluorescence in situ hybridization, we mapped the gene to chromosomal band 1q32.1...
- New roles for an old enzyme: Na,K-ATPase emerges as an interesting drug targetA Aperia
Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Intern Med 261:44-52. 2007..This review will present these new aspects of NKA and their clinical implications...
- Airborne exposures and risk of gastric cancer: a prospective cohort studyKrister Sjödahl
Unit of Esophageal and Gastric Research ESOGAR, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Cancer 120:2013-8. 2007..In conclusion, this study provides some support to the hypothesis that specific airborne exposures increase the risk of noncardia gastric cancer...
- Risk factors for Barrett's oesophagus: a population-based approachJohan Johansson
Department of Surgery, Kalmar County Hospital, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 42:148-56. 2007..The objective of this study was to investigate risk factors for incident BO diagnosed in a defined population in southeast Sweden while paying particular attention to epidemiological aspects of the study design...
- No detectable endothelial- or leukocyte-derived L-selectin ligand activity on the endothelium in inflamed cremaster muscle venulesEinar E Eriksson
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
J Leukoc Biol 84:93-103. 2008..These data demonstrate that expression of L-selectin on leukocytes is insufficient for mediating rolling and efficient recruitment of leukocytes in inflammation...
- [Health care information systems at a crucial turning-point]Ingvar Krakau
Lakartidningen 105:301-3. 2008
- [Diseases of the aortic valve and ascending aorta. Valve-sparing surgery should be considered primarily]Anders Franco-Cereceda
Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset Solna, Stockholm
Lakartidningen 105:434-7. 2008
- Contextual social capital as a risk factor for poor self-rated health: a multilevel analysisKarin Engström
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Public Health Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden
Soc Sci Med 66:2268-80. 2008..The association with self-rated health is similar independent of the measure of CSC used. It is also similar in different socio-demographic groups...
- Sub-grouping and sub-functionalization of the RIFIN multi-copy protein familyNicolas Joannin
Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology MTC, Karolinska Institutet, SE 17177 Stockholm, Sweden and Swedish Institute for Infectious Diseases Control, SE 17182 Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Genomics 9:19. 2008....
- Effects of neighbourhood and individual factors on injury risk in the entire Swedish population: a 12-month multilevel follow-up studyXinjun Li
Center for Family and Community Medicine, Department of Neurobiology, Caring Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet, Alfred Nobels alle 12, 141 83, Huddinge, Sweden
Eur J Epidemiol 23:191-203. 2008..Our results suggest that interventions focused on contextual aspects of neighbourhoods, in addition to individual behaviours, may have a positive impact on injury prevention...
- Metabolism of antidepressant and neuroleptic drugs by cytochrome p450s: clinical and interethnic aspectsL Bertilsson
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Laboratory Medicine at Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Pharmacol Ther 82:606-9. 2007..This brief review highlights the clinical importance and ethnic differences in the metabolism of these drugs...
- Social isolation increases number of newly proliferated cells in hippocampus in female flinders sensitive line ratsAstrid Bjørnebekk
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Hippocampus 17:1193-200. 2007..We demonstrate strain and gender specific responses to stress induced regulation of factors important for hippocampal plasticity...
- Rectal nitric oxide and fecal calprotectin in inflammatory bowel diseaseClaudia A Reinders
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 42:1151-7. 2007..Both rectal nitric oxide (NO) and fecal calprotectin can be measured using non-invasive methods and are emerging as promising inflammatory markers in IBD. In this study the aim was to compare calprotectin and NO levels in IBD patients...
- Secular trends of nasopharyngeal carcinoma incidence in Singapore, Hong Kong and Los Angeles Chinese populations, 1973-1997Juhua Luo
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Nobels vag 12a, Box 281, 171 77, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Epidemiol 22:513-21. 2007..This indicates that environmental and lifestyle changes play an important role in the declining incidence of NPC over time...
- The role of neutral lipases in human adipose tissue lipolysisPeter Arner
Karolinska Institute at the Department of Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Curr Opin Lipidol 18:246-50. 2007..The aim of this article is to describe the relative roles of hormone sensitive lipase and adipose triglyceride lipase in human fat cell lipolysis...
- Testing association in the presence of linkage--a powerful score for binary traitsGudrun Jonasdottir
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institute, S 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Genet Epidemiol 31:528-40. 2007..We apply the method to data from the Collaborative Study on the Genetics of Alcoholism. We compare our findings to previously published results...
- Newly recruited human monocytes have a preserved responsiveness towards bacterial peptides in terms of CD11b up-regulation and intracellular hydrogen peroxide productionE Dadfar
Department of Medicine, Clinical Immunology and Allergy Unit, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Sweden
Clin Exp Immunol 148:573-82. 2007..These data strengthen a role for newly recruited interstitial human monocytes in the immediate defence against invading pathogens...
- The clonal composition of a peptide-specific oligoclonal CTL repertoire selected in response to persistent EBV infection is stable over timeV Levitsky
Microbiology and Tumorbiology Center, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Immunol 161:594-601. 1998..Our results suggest that competition for the specific Ag may be not the major force driving the maintenance of memory CTLs and that the nature of the first antigenic challenge may largely determine the clonal composition of memory...
- Hormone markers during pregnancy and ovarian concer riskSven Cnattingius; Fiscal Year: 2005..The Swedish research registers will allow us to perform a large cost-effective cohort study where information on markers of hormone exposure during pregnancy has been collected prospectively. ..
- NEPHRIN AND KIDNEY FUNCTION AND DISEASEKarl Tryggvason; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Genetic determinants of postmenopausal breast cancerPer Hall; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, by using haplotype-tagging SNPs (ht-SNPs), we reduce the genotyping load by approximately 75%, while retaining thorough characterization of each gene under evaluation. ..