Affiliation: Central Hospital
- Reduction of postoperative morbidity and mortality in patients with rectal cancer following the introduction of a colorectal unitK Smedh
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery, Central Hospital, Vasteras, Sweden
Br J Surg 88:273-7. 2001....
- [Rapid recovery after colonic resection. Multimodal rehabilitation by means of Kehlet's method practiced in Vasteras]K Smedh
Kolorektalsektionen, kirurgkliniken samt operationskliniken, Centrallasarettet, Vasteras
Lakartidningen 98:2568-74. 2001..These results have not been confirmed in other studies. The aim of this study was to replace our traditional approach with Kehlet's multimodal regimen and try to reproduce his reported data...
- Preoperative management is more important than choice of sutured or stapled anastomosis in Crohn's diseaseKennet Smedh
Department of Surgery, Uppsala University, Central Hospital, Vasteras, Sweden
Eur J Surg 168:154-7. 2002..To find out if there were any differences in postoperative complications and anastomotic leak rate between sutured and stapled anastomoses after bowel resection in patients exposed to the same preoperative management programme...
- [Time to institute more active follow up after curative surgery for colorectal cancer? Wide variation of follow up and diagnostic routines]Kennet Smedh
Kolorektalsektionen, Kirurgkliniken, Centrallasarettet i Västerås
Lakartidningen 100:1230-2, 1235-6. 2003..An active follow-up should be selective and only include patients who tolerate oncologic or surgical treatment. Diagnostic tests to find intraluminal recurrence are ineffective. Large multicenter studies are still warranted...
- [Self-expanding stent in obstructing colorectal cancer. A new technique to avoid abdominal surgery]Kennet Smedh
Kolorektalsektionen, Kirurgkliniken, Centrallasarettet, Vasteras
Lakartidningen 100:1982-6. 2003..Colorectal stenting procedure is effective and safe and can be used in obstructing cancers both as a temporary relief before elective resection and as a definitive treatment in palliative cases...
- [Centralize colon cancer surgery! Better results and research possibilities in a specialized unit]Kennet Smedh
Lakartidningen 101:1160. 2004
- Centralization of rectal cancer surgery improves long-term survivalM Hosseinali Khani
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery and Centre for Clinical Research of Uppsala University, Central Hospital, Vasteras, Sweden
Colorectal Dis 12:874-9. 2010..At the same time, total mesorectal excision and multidisciplinary team meetings were introduced. The aim of this audit was to determine the long-term results before and after centralization...
- Patients with rectal cancer receiving adjuvant chemotherapy have an increased survival: a population-based longitudinal studyC Tiselius
Department of Surgery, Västmanland s County Hospital, Centre for Clinical Research, Uppsala University, Vasteras, Sweden
Ann Oncol 24:160-5. 2013..The aim of this study was to investigate whether or not the use of adjuvant chemotherapy in stage III rectal cancer varies between regions and over time, and if this has had an effect on survival rates...
- Treatment strategies for patients with stage IV rectal cancer: a report from the Swedish Rectal Cancer RegistryM Hosseinali Khani
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery and Centre for Clinical Research of Uppsala University, Västmanlands Hospital, SE 721 89 Västerås, Sweden
Eur J Cancer 48:1616-23. 2012..The aim of the present study was to describe trends and compare the different treatment strategies for this group of patients at a national level and over time...
- Is the circumferential resection margin a predictor of local recurrence after preoperative radiotherapy and optimal surgery for rectal carcinoma?M Hosseinali Khani
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery, Central Hospital, Västerås and Centre for Clinical Research, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Colorectal Dis 9:706-12. 2007..The aim of this study was to examine the prognostic significance of the CRM involvement after curative resection of rectal cancer in patients treated with preoperative radiotherapy and postoperative chemotherapy where indicated...
- Effect of local gentamicin-collagen on perineal wound complications and cancer recurrence after abdominoperineal resection: a multicentre randomized controlled trialA Collin
Department of Surgical Science, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Colorectal Dis 15:341-6. 2013..The local application of gentamicin-collagen was evaluated to determine whether its use in the perineal wound reduced risk complications and had an effect on cancer recurrence...
- Nurse or surgeon follow-up after rectal cancer: a randomized trialE Strand
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery and Centre for Clinical Research, Uppsala University, Central Hospital, Vasteras, Sweden
Colorectal Dis 13:999-1003. 2011..The aim of this randomized study was to compare patient satisfaction, resource utilization and medical safety in patients curatively operated for rectal cancer who were followed up by either a surgeon or a nurse...
- Outpatient, non-antibiotic management in acute uncomplicated diverticulitis: a prospective studyD Isacson
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery, Västmanland s Hospital Västerås, SE 72189, Vasteras, Sweden
Int J Colorectal Dis 30:1229-34. 2015..The aim of this study was to evaluate outpatient, non-antibiotic management in acute uncomplicated diverticulitis with regard to admissions, complications, and recurrences, within a 3-month follow-up period...
- Randomized clinical trial of antibiotics in acute uncomplicated diverticulitisA Chabok
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery, and Centre for Clinical Research Uppsala University, Västmanlands Hospital, Vasteras, Sweden
Br J Surg 99:532-9. 2012..The aim was to investigate the need for antibiotic treatment in acute uncomplicated diverticulitis, with the endpoint of recovery without complications after 12 months of follow-up...
- Magnetic resonance imaging for preoperative staging of rectal cancer in clinical practice: high accuracy in predicting circumferential margin with clinical benefitP Videhult
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery and Centre for Clinical Research Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Colorectal Dis 9:412-9. 2007..The aims were to determine agreement between staging of rectal cancer made by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and histopathological examination and the influence of MRI on choice of radiotherapy (RT) and surgical procedure...
- Lack of an association between the TGFBR1*6A variant and colorectal cancer riskJohanna Skoglund
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Cancer Res 13:3748-52. 2007..To further evaluate the relationship between TGFBR1*6A and colorectal cancer risk, we have conducted a large case-control study and a meta-analysis of previously published studies...
- The CHEK2 1100delC variant in Swedish colorectal cancerTatjana Djureinovic
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Stockholm, Sweden
Anticancer Res 26:4885-8. 2006..The cell cycle checkpoint kinase 2 (CHEK2) 1100delC variant has recently been identified at high frequency in families with both breast and colorectal cancer, suggesting the possible role of this variant in colorectal cancer predisposition...
- Leukocyte scintigraphy compared to intraoperative small bowel enteroscopy and laparotomy findings in Crohn's diseaseSven Almer
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, IMK Linköpings Universitet, Linkoping, Sweden
Inflamm Bowel Dis 13:164-74. 2007..We evaluated the utility of labeled leukocytes to detect small bowel inflammation and disease complications in Crohn's disease and compared it to whole small bowel enteroscopy and laparotomy findings...
- Abdominoperineal excision with partial anterior en bloc resection in multimodal management of low rectal cancer: a strategy to reduce local recurrenceKennet Smedh
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery and Centre for Clinical Research, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Dis Colon Rectum 49:833-40. 2006..A frequent problem is anterior dissection. The aim of this study was to present the results of abdominoperineal resection using selected partial anterior en bloc resection to reduce recurrence...