- Gallbladder-duodenal fistula presenting with liver abscess and upper gastrointestinal bleeding
K M Stamou
1st Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippokrateion Hospital, Athens, Greece
HPB (Oxford) 8:69-70. 2006
..Bilio-enteric communications leading to liver abscess formation are encountered rarely and are therefore not easily suspected by the attending physician...
- Prospective comparative study of the efficacy of staple-line reinforcement in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
Konstantinos M Stamou
1st Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippokration Hospital of Athens, Athens Medical School, Vasilissis Sofias Avenue 114, 11527 Athens, Greece
Surg Endosc 25:3526-30. 2011
..The purpose of this study was to determine if staple-line reinforcement with bovine pericardial strips reduces surgical complications of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG)...
- Prospective study of the incidence and risk factors of postsplenectomy thrombosis of the portal, mesenteric, and splenic veins
Konstantinos M Stamou
First Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippocration Hospital, Athens, Greece
Arch Surg 141:663-9. 2006
..Splenectomy is recognized as a cause of portal, mesenteric, and splenic vein thrombosis. The exact incidence of the complication and its predisposing factors are not known...
- Reinforcing the staple line during laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: prospective randomized clinical study comparing two different techniques. Preliminary results
First Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippokration Hospital, Athens Medical School Greece, 114 Queen s Sofia Avenue, Pipinou 52, 11251 Athens, Greece
Obes Surg 22:42-6. 2012
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy performed with intent to treat morbid obesity: a prospective single-center study of 261 patients with a median follow-up of 1 year
Department of Endoscopic Surgery, Hippocratio Hospital, 20 22, Alkimahou Street, Athens, 11634, Greece
Obes Surg 20:276-82. 2010
..The aim of the study is to look at laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as a procedure with intent to cure morbid obesity. Secondary endpoints are related to the safety profile of the procedure...
- Laparoscopic versus open splenectomy in patients with beta thalassemia major
Manousos M Konstadoulakis
First Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippokrateion Hospital of Athens, Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 16:5-8. 2006
..Laparoscopic splenectomy is considered the standard of care for the removal of the spleen in benign diseases. There are not sufficient data for the routine application of this technique in patients with beta thalassemia major...
- Clinical implications of sleeve gastrectomy as a source of spleen infarction or ischemia
Konstantinos M Stamou
Department of Endoscopic Surgery, 1st Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippocratio Hospital, 20 22, Alkimahou St, Athens, 11634, Greece
Obes Surg 21:1490-3. 2011
..The possibility of a late splenic abscess cannot be ruled out. No risk factors can be identified preoperatively...
- The use of a harmonic scalpel in thyroid surgery: report of a 3-year experience
Department of Endocrine Surgery, First Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, University of Athens Medical School, Hippocratio Hospital, Athens, Greece
Am J Surg 193:693-6. 2007
..The present article reports a single surgeon's 3-year experience in the use of the harmonic scalpel. The device was developed in the early 1990s and offered adequate and safe hemostasis for vessels up to 3 mm in width...
- Independent lung ventilation for asymmetrical chest trauma: effect on ventilatory and haemodynamic parameters
Surgical Intensive Care Unit, 1st Department of Surgery, Hippokrateion Hospital, 20 Potamianou Street, 115 28 Athens, Greece
Injury 36:501-4. 2005
..Two such cases are presented with emphasis given on the ventilatory and haemodynamic changes that were recorded...
- Laparoscopic placement of Oreopoulos-Zellerman catheters in CAPD patients
Andreas J Manouras
First Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Athens University Medical School, Hippokration Hospital, Athens, Greece
Perit Dial Int 24:252-5. 2004
..Lately, with the evolution of laparoscopic surgery, different laparoscopic techniques have also been presented, suggesting the technique is preferable to the open and percutaneous methods...
- Plexiglas (polymethylmethacrylate) implantation: technique, pre-clinical and clinical experience
Department of Therapeutic Endoscopy, Hygeia Hospital, Erythrou Stavrou 4 and Kifissias Avenue, 115 23, Athens, Greece
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 13:167-78, xi. 2003
..In an effort to further minimize surgical trauma, novel endoscopic techniques are beginning to challenge the standard therapeutic approach to GERD...
- Delayed presentation of ilio-iliac arteriovenous fistula following laparoscopic cholecystectomy treated with percutaneous graft-covered stent placement
Department of Interventional Neuroradiology, Athens Medical Center Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 15:411-4. 2005
..Endovascular treatment was accomplished using a graft-covered polytetrafluoroethylene stent. The patient remained free of symptoms at 1-year follow-up...
- Unusual site of recurrent musculoskeletal hydatid cyst: case report and brief review of the literature
Panagiotis G Drimousis
1st Department of Propeudeutic Surgery, Hippocrateion Hospital, Athens Medical School, 8 Ar Oikonomou Street, Patissia, Athens 14045, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 12:5577-8. 2006
..Very few such cases have been reported worldwide. The presented case is also distinguished by the involvement of muscles of distant anatomic areas...