J M Sanchez-Tapias
Affiliation: University of Barcelona
- Influence of hepatitis B virus genotype on the long-term outcome of chronic hepatitis B in western patientsJose M Sanchez-Tapias
Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, IDIBAPS, Spain
Gastroenterology 123:1848-56. 2002..The aim of this study was to investigate if the variable outcome of chronic hepatitis B may be related to hepatitis B virus (HBV) genotype...
- Nosocomial transmission of hepatitis C virusJ M Sanchez-Tapias
Liver Unit, IMD Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 31:107-12. 1999..Thus, although prospective studies have not been performed, nosocomial transmission of HCV unrelated to haemodialysis appears to be an infrequent and preventable event...
- Rationale and design of TeraViC-4 study: a phase III, randomized clinical trial to evaluate the effects of treatment duration with peginterferon alfa-2a (40-kDa) and ribavirin in naïve patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection without early viroloJ M Sanchez-Tapias
Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Barcelona
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 24:579-84. 2002..Secondary efficacy variables are the rate of sustained biochemical response, the rate of response in function of HCV genotype, viral load and treatment duration. Safety data will also be recorded and analyzed...
- Hepatitis C: who should you treat and how?Jose M Sanchez Tapias
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Blood Purif 20:124-36. 2002....
- Sensitivity to antiviral therapy may change after liver transplantation in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infectionA Feliu
Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Viral Hepat 13:544-51. 2006..In conclusion, in HCV-infected patients undergoing LT, the pattern of response to antiviral treatment may change after transplantation, and this possibility needs to be incorporated in clinical practice...
- The prognostic relevance of the nonstructural 5A gene interferon sensitivity determining region is different in infections with genotype 1b and 3a isolates of hepatitis C virusJ C Saiz
Hospital Clinic, Department of Medicine, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Barcelona, Spain
J Infect Dis 177:839-47. 1998..In conclusion, low virus load and mutant NS5A-ISDR phenotype are closely associated with long-term response to interferon in HCV genotype 1b- but probably not in 3a-infected patients...
- Donor and recipient IL28B polymorphisms in HCV-infected patients undergoing antiviral therapy before and after liver transplantationM Coto-Llerena
Liver Unit, CIBERehd, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Transplant 11:1051-7. 2011..Interestingly, donor genotype also seems to influence the response pattern, especially in recipients who have a favorable IL28B genotype...
- Evolution of the NS3 and NS5B regions of the hepatitis C virus during disease recurrence after liver transplantationA Massaguer
Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives, Hospital Clinic, Ciberehd and Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Transplant 7:2172-9. 2007..These observations highlight the complex interplay between viral evolution and clinical outcomes in the LT setting...
- High amino acid variability within the NS5A of hepatitis C virus (HCV) is associated with hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with HCV-1b-related cirrhosisM Gimenez-Barcons
Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives, Departament de Medicina, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 34:158-67. 2001..Therefore, a mutated HCV-PKR-bd phenotype is very common in cirrhotic patients with hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Assessment of liver fibrosis before and after antiviral therapy by different serum marker panels in patients with chronic hepatitis CS M Martinez
Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS and Ciberehd, Barcelona, Spain
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 33:138-48. 2011..Liver biopsy is the reference standard to assess liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C...
- Antimitochondrial antibodies in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection: description of 18 cases and review of the literatureM Ramos-Casals
Department of Autoimmune Diseases, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, School of Medicine, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Viral Hepat 12:648-54. 2005..Two-thirds of these patients presented an associated SAD, mainly Sjögren's syndrome or systemic sclerosis, together with a high frequency of multiple autoantibodies and an increased prevalence of cirrhosis and neoplasia...
- Long-term follow-up of chronic hepatitis C in patients diagnosed at a tertiary-care centerX Forns
Department of Medicine, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Hepatol 35:265-71. 2001..The natural history of chronic hepatitis C (HCV) is not completely understood. This study was aimed to evaluate the long-term outcome of the disease over a prolonged period of time and to identify factors associated with progression...
- Peginterferon-alfa2a plus ribavirin for 48 versus 72 weeks in patients with detectable hepatitis C virus RNA at week 4 of treatmentJose M Sanchez-Tapias
Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 131:451-60. 2006..This study investigated whether treatment for 72 weeks increases the rate of SVR in patients with detectable hepatitis C virus (HCV)-RNA levels at week 4 of treatment...
- Prevalence and mother-to-infant transmission of hepatitis viruses B, C, and E in Southern TanzaniaC Menendez
Unidad de Epidemiologia y Bioestadistica, Institut d Investigacions Biomedicas August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Med Virol 58:215-20. 1999..The results of this study show for the first time in Africa that mother-to-infant transmission does not play a significant role in the acquisition of HCV infection...
- Cryoglobulinaemia associated with hepatitis C virus: influence of HCV genotypes, HCV-RNA viraemia and HIV coinfectionM Ramos-Casals
Department of Autoimmune Diseases, Institut d Investigacions Biomédiques August Pi Sunyer IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Viral Hepat 14:736-42. 2007..Associated HIV infection significantly attenuated the clinical and immunological expression of cryoglobulinaemia, except in coinfected patients with high viral loads for the two viruses...
- Increased serum hepcidin levels in patients with porphyria cutanea tardaE Darwich
Departments of Dermatology, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 27:e68-74. 2013..However, serum hepcidin levels have not yet been studied in PCT patients...
- Influence of the dynamics of the hypervariable region 1 of hepatitis C virus (HCV) on the histological severity of HCV recurrence after liver transplantationA Sanchez-Fueyo
Liver Unit, Institut Clinic de Malalties Digestives, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Spain
J Med Virol 65:266-75. 2001..These findings suggest that the degree of amino acid diversification in the HVR1 of HCV, which probably reflects the strength of immune pressure on HCV, is inversely related to the histological severity of HCV infection recurrence...
- Randomized trial comparing pegylated interferon alpha-2b versus pegylated interferon alpha-2a, both plus ribavirin, to treat chronic hepatitis C in human immunodeficiency virus patientsMontserrat Laguno
Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 49:22-31. 2009..Side effects were present in 96% of patients but led to treatment discontinuation in 10% of patients (8% on PEG 2b and 13% on PEG 2a, P = 0.47)...
- Dynamics of hepatitis C virus NS5A quasispecies during interferon and ribavirin therapy in responder and non-responder patients with genotype 1b chronic hepatitis CFrancesc Puig-Basagoiti
Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives, Departament de Medicina IMD, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
J Gen Virol 86:1067-75. 2005..These observations suggest that the composition and dynamics of HCV NS5A quasispecies, particularly in the V3 domain, may play a role in the response to combined IFN/ribavirin therapy...