M C Ramirez-Tortosa
Affiliation: University of Granada
- Periodontitis is associated with altered plasma fatty acids and cardiovascular risk markersM C Ramirez-Tortosa
Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 20:133-9. 2010....
- Oxidative stress status in liver mitochondria and lymphocyte DNA damage of atherosclerotic rabbits supplemented with water soluble coenzyme Q10M Carmen Ramirez-Tortosa
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology INYTA, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Biofactors 32:263-73. 2008..The findings suggest that antioxidant therapy with coenzyme Q10 may be used in the treatment of liver pathologies associated to the intake of high-fat, atherogenic, diets...
- Oxidative stress status in an institutionalised elderly group after the intake of a phenolic-rich dessertM Carmen Ramirez-Tortosa
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Granada, Campus de Cartuja, 18071 Granada, Spain
Br J Nutr 91:943-50. 2004..Moreover, a highly oxidative stress status during ageing was confirmed, together with the need to perform follow-up nutritional studies to improve this situation...
- Vitamin E supplementation increases the stability and the in vivo antioxidant capacity of refined olive oilJ L Quiles
Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, Department of Physiology, University of Granada, Spain
Free Radic Res 31:S129-35. 1999..In conclusion, the supplementation of refined olive oil with 200 mg/kg of vitamin E increases the stability of this oil under pro-oxidant conditions, and its intake decreases the oxidative damage generated by adriamycin in rats...
- Olive oil supplemented with vitamin E affects mitochondrial coenzyme Q levels in liver of rats after an oxidative stress induced by adriamycinJ L Quiles
Nutrition and Food Technology Institute, University of Granada, Spain
Biofactors 9:331-6. 1999..In conclusion, an increase in coenzyme Q and alpha-tocopherol in these membranes can be a basis for protection against oxidation and improvement in antioxidant capacity...
- Oral administration of a turmeric extract inhibits LDL oxidation and has hypocholesterolemic effects in rabbits with experimental atherosclerosisM C Ramirez-Tortosa
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Granada, Faculty of Pharmacy, Campus de Cartuja 18071, Granada, Spain
Atherosclerosis 147:371-8. 1999..2-mg dosage. In conclusion, the use of this extract could be useful in the management of cardiovascular disease in which atherosclerosis is important...
- Dietary oils high in oleic acid but with different unsaponifiable fraction contents have different effects in fatty acid composition and peroxidation in rabbit LDLJulio J Ochoa
Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Nutrition 18:60-5. 2002..We investigated the influence of different edible oils high in oleic acid but with different unsaponifiable fractions on the fatty acid composition and lipid peroxidation in plasma and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) in rabbits...
- Sunflower oil does not protect against LDL oxidation as virgin olive oil does in patients with peripheral vascular diseaseC M Aguilera
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Facultad de Farmacia, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Granada, C Ramon y Cajal, 4, 18071, Granada, Spain
Clin Nutr 23:673-81. 2004....
- Sunflower, virgin-olive and fish oils differentially affect the progression of aortic lesions in rabbits with experimental atherosclerosisC M Aguilera
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Granada, C Ramon y Cajal, 4, 18071, Granada, Spain
Atherosclerosis 162:335-44. 2002..However, sunflower oil provokes a significant progression in lesion development, whereas diet enrichment with extra virgin olive oil and, to a lesser extent, fish oil, stops this progression...
- Coenzyme Q differentially modulates phospholipid hydroperoxide glutathione peroxidase gene expression and free radicals production in malignant and non-malignant prostate cellsJ L Quiles
Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Granada, Spain
Biofactors 18:265-70. 2003..If these results are confirmed with additional experiments, it could represent a novel and interesting approach on the biomedical use of coenzyme Q10 in cancer therapy...
- [Nutritional and antioxidant status of an institutionalized elderly group in Murcia (Spain)]Javier García-Alonso
Facultad de Veterinaria y Ciencia de los Alimentos, Universidad de Murcia, Campus de Espinardo, Murcia, Espana
Arch Latinoam Nutr 54:180-9. 2004..Although total plasma antioxidant status was low (0.62 mM eq Trolox and 0.98 mM eq Fe(II)) compared with reference values, estimated oxidative risk in this group of elderly was low according to plasma levels of vitamins C, A & E...
- Detection of key factors in the extraction and quantification of lycopene from tomato and tomato productsMaría Jesús Periago
Dpto de Tecnología de los Alimento, Nutricion y Bromatologia, Facultad de Veterinaria, Campus de Espinardo, 30071 Espinardo Murcia, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 55:8825-9. 2007..The results suggest that, with increased processing, the physical and chemical structure of lycopene becomes less important since the identified KFs explain almost 90% of variability in tomato paste but only 32% in raw tomato...