Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Barcelona
- White matter abnormalities in primary Sjögren syndromeM Akasbi
Sjögren Syndrome Research Group AGAUR, Laboratory of Autoimmune Diseases Josep Font, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Department of Autoimmune Diseases, Hospital do Meixoeiro, Vigo, Spain
QJM 105:433-43. 2012..To describe the main characteristics of patients with primary Sjögren syndrome (SS) and white matter abnormalities (WMA) seen by a specialist SS unit...
- P/Q type calcium-channel antibodies in paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration with lung cancerF Graus
Services of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 59:764-6. 2002..Seven of 15 CSF samples had VGCC antibodies, with evidence of intrathecal synthesis in four. VGCC antibodies should be looked for in PCD, even if there are no symptoms of LEMS, and may be related to the cerebellar dysfunction...
- Recommended diagnostic criteria for paraneoplastic neurological syndromesF Graus
Service of Neurology, Institut d Investigacio Biomedica August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:1135-40. 2004....
- Anti-Hu-associated paraneoplastic encephalomyelitis: analysis of 200 patientsF Graus
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Villaroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Brain 124:1138-48. 2001..Finally, the predictors of mortality and PEM evolution found in the study may be important in the design of future therapeutic protocols, and emphasize the importance of early diagnosis and treatment of the underlying tumour...
- [New treatments in brain tumors]F Graus
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona
Neurologia 14:21-5. 1999....
- SOX1 antibodies are markers of paraneoplastic Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndromeL Sabater
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Neurology 70:924-8. 2008..This study was undertaken to identify the antigen recognized by AGNA and to confirm the association with paraneoplastic LEMS in a larger series...
- Neuronal surface antigen antibodies in limbic encephalitis: clinical-immunologic associationsF Graus
Servei de Neurologia, Hospital Clinic and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 71:930-6. 2008..To report the frequency and type of antibodies against neuronal surface antigens (NSA-ab) in limbic encephalitis (LE)...
- MRI and CSF oligoclonal bands after autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in MSA Saiz
Services of Neurology, , , University of Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 56:1084-9. 2001....
- Anti-glial nuclear antibody: marker of lung cancer-related paraneoplastic neurological syndromesF Graus
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Villarroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
J Neuroimmunol 165:166-71. 2005..0006). We conclude that the recognition of AGNA is helpful since this antibody is found in PNS associated with SCLC, particularly LEMS, in which other onconeural antibodies are absent...
- [Clinical outcome 6 years after autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in multiple sclerosis]A Saiz
Servicio de Neurologia, Hematología Hospital Clínic, Institut d Investigacio Biomedica August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona
Neurologia 23:405-7. 2008..We describe the clinical outcome of 14 patients included in a protocol of AHSCT after a median follow-up period of 6 years...
- Anti-Hu antibodies in patients with small-cell lung cancer: association with complete response to therapy and improved survivalF Graus
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Oncol 15:2866-72. 1997..Based on these observations, we conducted a multicenter prospective study of SCLC patients without PEM/SN to determine the incidence and prognostic implications of HuAb...
- Value of Hu antibody determinations in the follow-up of paraneoplastic neurologic syndromesA Lladó
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona Spain
Neurology 63:1947-9. 2004..No correlation was observed between Hu-Ab titers and neurologic outcome, tumor evolution, or type of treatment. Serial Hu-Ab determinations are not useful for monitoring the clinical outcome of patients with PNS...
- Does gender matter in glioblastoma?E Verger
Institute of Haematology and Oncology, Department of Radiation Oncology, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Clin Transl Oncol 13:737-41. 2011..Independent predictors were older age and low KPS. These poor risk variables were more frequent in women and their survival was therefore lower than men in our series...
- Anti-Hu-associated brainstem encephalitisA Saiz
Servei de Neurologia, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:404-7. 2009..A series of patients with anti-Hu-associated brainstem encephalitis is reviewed to better define the clinical presentation and to improve its recognition...
- Effect of glatiramer acetate (Copaxone) on the immunophenotypic and cytokine profile and BDNF production in multiple sclerosis: a longitudinal studyY Blanco
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Neurosci Lett 406:270-5. 2006....
- Protein kinase Cgamma autoimmunity in paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration and non-small-cell lung cancerL Sabater
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77:1359-62. 2006..The clinical and immunological profiles of patients with paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration (PCD) and non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) are not well known...
- [Clinical spectrum associated with aquaporin-4 antibodies (NMO-IgG)]Y Blanco
Servei de Neurologia, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona e Institut d Investigació August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Espana
Neurologia 25:5-12. 2010....
- No association of the Val66Met polymorphism of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) to multiple sclerosisY Blanco
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Neurosci Lett 396:217-9. 2006..Moreover, we did not observe, in a subgroup of 12 MS patients, that the methionine substitution at position 66 in the prodomain had negative impact in the capacity to produce BDNF by peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC)...
- The impact of the introduction of the 14-3-3 protein assay in the surveillance of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in CataloniaA Saiz
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Neurol 248:592-4. 2001..Our findings suggest an improvement of case ascertainment in part due to the introduction of the 14-3-3 assay in the surveillance system...
- Prevalence of restless legs syndrome and REM sleep behavior disorder in multiple sclerosisM J Gómez-Choco
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacio Biomedica August Pi i Sunyer, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Mult Scler 13:805-8. 2007..Our study shows that RLS in MS is not more frequent than in the general population, and that RBD, although uncommon, may occur in the setting of this neurological disease...
- 14-3-3 protein in the CSF as prognostic marker in early multiple sclerosisA Martinez-Yelamos
Service of Neurology, Ciutat Sanitaria Universitaria de Bellvitge, L Hospitalet, Spain
Neurology 57:722-4. 2001..8; 95% CI 2.86 to 76.8). The detection of the 14-3-3 protein in the CSF at the first neurologic event suggestive of MS may be a useful predictor of short-term evolution...
- Evolution of brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels after autologous hematopietic stem cell transplantation in multiple sclerosisY Blanco
Services of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Neurosci Lett 380:122-6. 2005..Our study suggests that AHSCT can reduce BDNF levels to values associated with lower activity. This decrease does not seem to correlate with the brain atrophy measures observed in the MRI...
- [Paraneoplastic retinopathy and anti-recoverin antibodies]L Bataller
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Valencia, Spain
Neurologia 17:156. 2002
- Homer 3 autoimmunity in subacute idiopathic cerebellar ataxiaL Zuliani
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 68:239-40. 2007
- Analysis of antibodies to neuronal surface antigens in adult opsoclonus-myoclonusL Sabater
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunye, Barcelona, Spain
J Neuroimmunol 196:188-91. 2008..OMS sera did not label live CGN by immunocytochemistry. Unlike pediatric OMS, NSA-ab were not detected in adult cases suggesting that the immunity to NSA in OMS is heterogeneous...
- Plasma exchange for acute attacks of CNS demyelination: Predictors of improvement at 6 monthsS Llufriu
Neurology Service, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 73:949-53. 2009..Plasma exchange (PE) is used to treat severe episodes of CNS demyelination unresponsive to corticosteroids. Predictors of long-term response are not well known...
- GABA(B) receptor antibodies in limbic encephalitis and anti-GAD-associated neurologic disordersA Boronat
Servei de Neurologia, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Neurology 76:795-800. 2011..We analyzed the frequency of GABA(B)R-ab in 147 patients with LE or neurologic syndromes associated with GAD-ab...
- Dramatic improvement of POEMS syndrome following autologous haematopoietic cell transplantationM Rovira
Department of Haematology, BMT Unit, Postgraduate School of Haematology Farreras Valenti, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Br J Haematol 115:373-5. 2001..We believe that this is the first reported case of POEMS syndrome treated with AHCT, a procedure that could be considered in similarly affected patients...
- Clinical and MRI outcome after autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in MSA Saiz
Services of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacio Biomedica August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 62:282-4. 2004..The mean change in T2 lesion volume from baseline to the third year was -20.2% and that of the corpus callosum area was -12.7%; 50% of this reduction was seen during the first year...
- [HLA-DRB1 typing in Caucasians patients with neuromyelitis optica]Y Blanco
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Clínicm, Barcelona, Espana
Rev Neurol 53:146-52. 2011..Our study was aimed to analyze HLA-DRB1 distribution in Caucasians NMO patients...
- [MM1 variant of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease with long duration akinetic mutism state]R Sanchez-Valle
Unit de ECJ, Servei de Neurologia, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investgació, Biomedica August Pi i Sunyer, Universitat de Barcelona
Neurologia 21:444-6. 2006....
- Analysis of relapses in anti-NMDAR encephalitisI Gabilondo
Center for Neuroimmunology, Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 77:996-9. 2011..The clinical characteristics of patients with relapsing anti-NMDA receptor (NMDAR) encephalitis are not well-defined. In this study, we report the clinical profile and outcome of relapses in a series of anti-NMDAR encephalitis...
- [Paraneoplastic syndromes in otoneuro-ophthalmology]I Rojas Marcos
, , L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona,
Rev Neurol 31:1206-12. 2000..Oto-neuro-ophthalmological manifestations may be the first or only symptom of presentation of a paraneoplastic neurological clinical picture...
- Absence of REM sleep, altered NREM sleep and supranuclear horizontal gaze palsy caused by a lesion of the pontine tegmentumF Valldeoriola
Sleep Disorders Unit, Universitat de Barcelona, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Spain
Sleep 16:184-8. 1993..Interruption of connections between the tegmentum of the pons and the reticular nuclei of the thalamus could be the cause of the absence of sleep spindles...
- Midbrain lesions and paroxysmal dysarthria in multiple sclerosisY Blanco
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona and IDIBAPS, Villaroel 170, Barcelona, Spain
Mult Scler 14:694-7. 2008..All three patients had an acute lower midbrain lesion. The location was central in two patients and left paramedian in the other, and probably involving cerebellothalamocortical pathways. Treatment with carbamazepine was effective...
- Analysis of a neuronal antigen (Hu) expression in the developing rat brain detected by autoantibodies from patients with paraneoplastic encephalomyelitisF Graus
Department of Neurology, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Barcelona, Spain
Neurosci Lett 112:14-8. 1990..Although the Hu is also expressed by neural cells other than neurons, the strongest staining of mature neurons could indicate that Hu plays a role in the process of neuronal differentiation...
- Detection of 14-3-3 protein in the CSF of a patient with Hashimoto's encephalopathyL E Hernández Echebarría
Service of Neurology, Hospital de Leon, Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 54:1539-40. 2000
- Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 overexpression in breast cancer of patients with anti-Yo--associated paraneoplastic cerebellar degenerationIñigo Rojas-Marcos
Service of Neurology and Pathology, Hospital Juan Ramon Jimenez, Huelva, Spain
Neuro Oncol 14:506-10. 2012..Although the expression of cdr2 onconeural antigen is not high in HER2-positive breast cancers, HER2 overexpression seems to be an important requirement to develop an anti-Yo-associated PCD...
- Central nervous system involvement in mantle cell lymphomaA Ferrer
Department of Hematology, Hospital Clinic, Postgraduate School of Hematology Farreras Valenti, Institut d Investigacio Biomedica August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Oncol 19:135-41. 2008..Extranodal involvement, including central nervous system (CNS), is a frequent event in patients with mantle cell lymphoma (MCL). However, the incidence, risk factors, and impact on outcome remain controversial...
- Pure sensory neuropathy in patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome: clinical, immunological, and electromyographic findingsJ Font
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Rheum Dis 49:775-8. 1990..These findings indicate that in patients with a sensory neuropathy the diagnosis of Sjögren's syndrome has to be considered, even if the patient denies the presence of sicca symptoms, and that appropriate tests must be carried out...
- Clinical spectrum and diagnostic value of antibodies against the potassium channel related protein complexM T Montojo
Institut d́Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, España Servicio de Neurología, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Espana
Neurologia 30:295-301. 2015....
- [Transplantation of haematopoietic stem cells in multiple sclerosis]A Saiz
Servicio de Neurologia, Institut d Investigacio Biomedica August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Barcelona, Espana
Rev Neurol 35:1136-41. 2002..In any case, this treatment cannot be considered to cure the MS since the probability of patients having no signs of active disease 3 years after transplantation is 12% in SP MS and 0% in PP MS...
- [Limbic encephalitis: a probably under-recognized syndrome]F Graus
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona
Neurologia 20:24-30. 2005..On the contrary, immunosuppressant treatment is not usually effective in limbic encephalitis associated to anti-Hu antibodies...
- Clinical and genetic features of human prion diseases in Catalonia: 1993-2002R Sanchez-Valle
Services of Neurology, Institut d Investigació Biomédica August Pi i Sunyer IDABAPS, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Neurol 11:649-55. 2004..No case of variant CJD was registered. The study confirms in our population the consistent pattern reported worldwide on human prion diseases. Atypical features were seen more frequently in sporadic 129 V/V CJD and fCJD cases...
- Episodic hyperhidrosis as the only clinical manifestation of neuromyotoniaM J Gómez-Choco
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 65:1331-2. 2005
- Pre-irradiation semi-intensive chemotherapy with carboplatin and cyclophosphamide in malignant glioma: a phase II studyN Viñolas
Institut Clinic de Malalties Hemato Oncológique, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Anticancer Drugs 13:163-7. 2002..No toxic death was related to treatment. This regimen showed limited activity in malignant glioma with large residual disease after surgery or biopsy...
- [NMO-IgG antibodies in neuromyelitis optica: a report of 2 cases]L Zuliani
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Clinico, Barcelona, Spain
Neurologia 21:314-7. 2006..The antigen responsible for this immune response seems to be aquaporin-4 water channel...
- Cell surface expression of paraneoplastic encephalomyelitis/sensory neuronopathy-associated Hu antigens in small-cell lung cancers and neuroblastomasM Tora
Unitat de Biologia Cel lular i Molecular, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 48:735-41. 1997....
- Antibodies to Zic4 in paraneoplastic neurologic disorders and small-cell lung cancerL Bataller
Department of Neurology Dr Bataller, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Valencia, Spain
Neurology 62:778-82. 2004..To determine whether serum Zic4 antibodies associate with paraneoplastic neurologic disorders (PND) and small-cell lung cancer (SCLC), and the association of these antibodies with other onconeuronal immunities associated with SCLC...
- Anti-Tr antibodies as markers of paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration and Hodgkin's diseaseF Bernal
Service of Neurology and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Spain
Neurology 60:230-4. 2003..Preliminary studies suggested that anti-Tr antibodies identify patients with paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration (PCD) and Hodgkin disease (HD)...
- Management of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes: report of an EFNS Task ForceC A Vedeler
Department of Neurology, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Eur J Neurol 13:682-90. 2006..Immune therapy usually has no or modest effect on the CNS syndromes, whereas such therapy is beneficial for PNS affecting the neuromuscular junction. Symptomatic therapy should be offered to all patients with PNS...
- T-cell reactivity to glutamic acid decarboxylase in stiff-man syndrome and cerebellar ataxia associated with polyendocrine autoimmunityM Costa
Immunology Unit, Institut de Biotecnologia i Biomedicina, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
Clin Exp Immunol 129:471-8. 2002....
- Antiganglioside antibodies in acute self-limiting ataxic neuropathy: incidence and significanceC Serrano-Munuera
Department of Neurology, Institut de Recerca, Hospital de la Sta. Creu i St. Pau, Universitat Autonoma, Sant Antoni Ma Claret, 167, Barcelona 08025, Spain
J Neuroimmunol 120:78-83. 2001..Nevertheless, the low incidence of this reactivity indicates that a different pathogenic mechanism should be involved in most ASLAN patients...
- Antidisialosyl antibodies in chronic idiopathic ataxic neuropathyC Serrano-Munuera
Dept of Neurology, Institut de Recerca, Hospital de la Sta Creu i St Pau, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, St Antoni Ma Claret 167, Barcelona 08025, Spain
J Neurol 249:1525-8. 2002..These antibodies may have pathogenic relevance; however, larger series are needed to establish their clinical significance...
- Hu-antibody-positive patients with or without cancer have similar clinical profilesA Lladó
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77:996-7. 2006
- [Cerebellar degeneration associated with anti-Tr antibodies without Hodgkin's disease. Four years follow-up]R Sanchez-Roy
Sevicio de Neurología Interna, Seccion de Neurologia, Hospital Arnau de Vilanova, Valencia
Neurologia 19:456-9. 2004..This case suggests that in a few instances the origin of anti-Tr is not a tumor but another unknown cause. Alternatively the anti-Tr mediated immune response could have eradicated the underlying lymphoma...
- Paraneoplastic encephalomyelitis associated with pancreatic tumor and anti-GAD antibodiesL Hernández-Echebarría
Neurology Service, Hospital de Leon, Leon, Spain
Neurology 66:450-1. 2006
- Unusual magnetic resonance imaging and cerebrospinal fluid findings in paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration: a sequential studyC de Andres
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77:562-3. 2006
- Isolated paraneoplastic optic neuropathy associated with small-cell lung cancer and anti-CV2 antibodiesAdrian Ares-Luque
J Neurol 254:1131-2. 2007
- Diagnosis and treatment of paraneoplastic neurological disordersR Voltz
Institute of Clinical Neuroimmunology and Department of Neurology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Munchen, Germany
Onkologie 27:253-8. 2004..It is hoped that the recent fundamental advances in understanding the autoimmune pathology of these disorders, especially the role of cytotoxic T cells, will eventually lead to more effective treatment options...
- Brain magnetic resonance imaging findings in acute relapses of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disordersJa Cabrera-Gómez
International Neurological Restoration Center CIREN, Avenida 25 15805 entre 158 y 160, Reparto Cubanacán, Playa, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Mult Scler 14:248-51. 2008....