- [Leptospirosis]B Roca
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital General de Castellon, Universidad de Valencia
Rev Med Univ Navarra 50:3-6. 2006..Diagnosis is carried out by serology or culture of the microorganism. Treatment consists of antibiotics such as penicillin G, ceftriaxone, doxycycline or amoxicillin...
- Impact of education program on influenza vaccination rates in SpainBernardino Roca
Hospital General of Castellon, Castellon, Spain
Am J Manag Care 18:e446-52. 2012..To assess the impact of a simple education program on adherence to influenza vaccination...
- Pandemic H1N1 influenza-associated myocarditis in a patient with Castleman's diseaseB Roca
Universitat de Valencia, Spain
Scott Med J 58:e41-2. 2013..This is the first case of such an association described in the literature...
- Nocardiosis complicated with Addison's diseaseB Roca
Infectious Disease Division, Hospital General of Castellon, University of Valencia and University Jaume I, Spain
Scott Med J 56:236. 2011..After initial improvement with antimicrobial therapy, new symptoms appeared, consisting of persistent vomits, abdominal pain and hypotension, which led to the diagnosis of Addison's disease...
- [Chlamydial infections]B Roca
Servicio de Medicina Interna e Infectiones, Hospital General de Castellon, Universidad de Valencia
An Med Interna 24:292-9. 2007..psittaci and C. pneumoniae, which mostly produce respiratory infections. The last two microorganisms are now classified in a different genus, known as Chlamydophila...
- [Dermopathy and peripheral neuropathy]Bernardino Roca
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital General de Castellon, Castellon de la Plana, Spain
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 23:629-30. 2005
- HIV infection presenting with Fournier's gangreneB Roca
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital General of Castellon, Spain
Neth J Med 53:168-71. 1998..We report the case of a patient with Fournier's gangrene as the presenting sign of HIV infection. The process began with balanitis and rapidly destroyed the penis. Aggressive medical and surgical management proved successful...
- [Mycoplasma infections]B Roca
Servicio de Medina Interna e Infecciones, Hospital General de Castellon, Universidad de Valencia
Rev Clin Esp 206:239-42. 2006..In a near future, the antigen or DNA detection molecular techniques will probably permit a much faster and reliable diagnosis. The tetracyclines and fluorquinolones have excellent activity against these microorganisms...
- Presentation and outcome of infective endocarditis in Spain: a retrospective studyBernardino Roca
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Hospital General de Castellon, University of Valencia, 12004 Castellon, Spain
Int J Infect Dis 11:198-203. 2007..To analyze cases of infective endocarditis in patients who attended the Hospital General de Castellón, Spain, between 1999 and 2004...
- [Lyme borreliosis]Bernardino Roca
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital General de Castellon, Castellon, and Universidad de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Med Clin (Barc) 127:265-8. 2006..Diagnosis is usually made with serology tests, and the infection responds well to several antibiotics, especially if given in the early stages of the disease...
- Tuberculous meningitis presenting with unusually severe hyponatremiaBernardino Roca
Department of Medicine, Hospital General of Castellon, University of Valencia, Spain
Mt Sinai J Med 73:1029-30. 2006..The hyponatremia was probably due to the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion, and resolved after instituting water restriction and antituberculous medication...
- Control of hypertension in patients at high risk of cardiovascular diseaseB Roca
Hospital General, Castellon, University of Valencia, Madrid, Spain
QJM 98:581-8. 2005..Hypertension is a major cardiovascular risk factor, but knowledge about the real magnitude of the problem and its determinants is lacking...
- Presentation and outcome of tuberculous meningitis in adults in the province of Castellon, Spain: a retrospective studyB Roca
Infectious Diseases Division, Hospital General of Castellon, University of Valencia, Spain
Epidemiol Infect 136:1455-62. 2008..Tuberculous meningitis is a rare and frequently difficult to recognize disease, which results in significant morbidity and mortality. We found an association of mortality with SIADH and lower level of serum cholesterol...
- [Q fever]B Roca
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital General de Castellon, Departamento de Medicina, Universidad de Valencia
An Med Interna 24:558-60. 2007..Diagnosis is usually made by serology. The acute form of the infection responds well to tetracyclines and other antibiotics. But endocarditis is difficult to treat, and its prognosis is grim...
- Pharmacogenomics of antiretroviralsBernardino Roca
Infectious Disease Division, Departmen of Medicine, Hospital General of Castellon, University of Valencia, Spain
Recent Pat Antiinfect Drug Discov 3:132-5. 2008..The present article shows some recent patents related to the treatment of viral infections...
- Pyomyositis of the iliacus muscle complicated with septic sacroiliitisB Roca
Infectious Disease Division, Hospital General of Castellon, University of Valencia, Spain
QJM 101:983-4. 2008..Pyomyositis of the iliacus muscle must be considered in the differential diagnosis of acute pain in the hip region...
- Castleman's Disease. A ReviewBernardino Roca
Medicine and Infectious Disease Department, Hospital General of Castellon, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
AIDS Rev 11:3-7. 2009..An association of the disease with HIV infection has been found. Many uncertainties remain concerning the etiopathogenesis and the optimal treatment of this rare condition...
- [Epistaxis and systemic disease]Bernardino Roca
Hospital General de Castellon, Universidad de Valencia, Castellon de la Plana, Espana
Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 60:456-8. 2009..Finally, clinical manifestations of Wegener's granulomatosis are reviewed, with especial emphasis on otolaryngologic complaints...
- Factors associated with mortality in patients with exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease hospitalized in General Medicine departmentsBernardino Roca
Hospital General of Castellon, University of Valencia, Castellon, Spain
Intern Emerg Med 6:47-54. 2011..In conclusion, comorbidity is an important contributor to mortality among patients hospitalized in General Medicine departments because of COPD exacerbation...
- Hepatitis C virus co-infection and sexual risk behaviour are associated with a high homocysteine serum level in HIV-infected patientsBernardino Roca
Hospital General of Castellon, University of Valencia and University Jaume I, Spain
Swiss Med Wkly 141:w13323. 2012....
- HAART with didanosine once versus twice daily: adherence and efficacyBernardino Roca
Infectious Disease Division, Hospital General of Castellon, Catalunya, 33 A, 4 12004 Castellón, Spain
Int J Infect Dis 9:195-200. 2005..Highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) containing didanosine taken twice daily was compared with HAART containing didanosine taken once daily in terms of adherence and efficacy...
- Intradural extramedullary tuberculoma of the spinal cord: a review of reported casesBernardino Roca
Infectious Disease Division, Department of Medicine, Hospital General of Castellon, Castellon, Spain
J Infect 50:425-31. 2005..To avoid the permanent disability that this condition may provoke, an early diagnosis and prompt treatment is critical...
- Primary non-hodgkin lymphoma of the larynxBernardino Roca
Medicine and Otolaryngology Departments, Hospital General of Castellon, Spain
South Med J 98:388-9. 2005..Although cases of aggressive course and poor response to therapy exist, primary large B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma of the larynx is generally considered a relatively benign and radiosensitive tumor...
- Miliary tuberculosis in a patient with eosinophilic fasciitisBernardino Roca
Department of Medicine, Divisions of Infectious Disease and Dermatology, General Hospital of Castellon, Castellon, Spain
South Med J 98:107-10. 2005..Other conditions, especially neoplasms and infections, have been described in association with eosinophilic fasciitis, but this is the first reported case of miliary tuberculosis associated with the disease...
- [Extrahepatic manifestations of hepatitis C virus infection]Bernardino Roca
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital General de Castellon, Spain
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 22:467-70. 2004..In some patients with hepatitis C virus infection, the extrahepatic manifestations predominate and their proper diagnosis and management is very important...
- Catastrophic antiphospholipid-antibody syndrome and danazolB Roca
Infectious and Immunologic Disease Division, Medicine Department, Hospital General of Castellon, Spain
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 13:209-10. 2003..We report a case of catastrophic antiphospholipid-antibody syndrome, with renal and neurological manifestations, which presented shortly after the institution of danazol for the treatment of refractory thrombocytopenia...
- Usefulness of a hypertension education programBernardino Roca
Department of Medicine, General Hospital of Castellon, Castellon, Spain
South Med J 96:1133-7. 2003..Our objective was to assess knowledge about hypertension, its medical consequences in hospitalized patients with hypertension and in their relatives, and to evaluate the usefulness of a simple education program to improve such knowledge...
- [Metabolic disorders associated with HIV and antiretroviral therapy]B Roca
Unidad de Enfermadades Infecciosas, Hospital General, Castellon
An Med Interna 20:585-93. 2003..In this article, metabolic disorders associated with HIV, as well as those provoked by antiretroviral therapy, are comprehensively reviewed...
- [Metabolic disorders and human immunodeficiency virus infection]B Roca Villanueva
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital General de Castellon
Rev Clin Esp 203:612-4. 2003
- A sewing needle in the liverBernardino Roca
Department of Medicine, Hospital General of Castellon, Castellon, Spain
South Med J 96:616-7. 2003..Incidentally, abdominal radiographs revealed a sewing needle in the right upper quadrant, and computed tomography (CT) showed that the needle was lodged in the liver parenchyma...
- Hepatitis C virus and human immunodeficiency virus coinfection in SpainBernardino Roca
Hospital General, Castellon, Spain
J Infect 47:117-24. 2003....
- Dyslipidaemia in HIV-infected women on antiretroviral therapy. Analysis of 922 patients from the Spanish VACH cohortVicente Estrada
Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Madrid, Spain
BMC Womens Health 11:36. 2011..The objective of the study is to describe the lipid profile in a large cohort of HIV-infected women on contemporary ART and analyse differences between regimes and patient's characteristics...
- Adverse drug reactions to antiretroviral medicationBernardino Roca
Hospital General of Castellon, University of Valencia, Spain
Front Biosci (Landmark Ed) 14:1785-92. 2009..Adverse reactions are common with antiretrovirals, and they are an important cause of medication non-adherence and suboptimal control of HIV infection. In this article we review the most relevant of those toxicities...
- Prevalence and impact of body physical changes in HIV patients treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy: results from a study on patient and physician perceptionsEsther Cabrero
Medical Department, Abbott Laboratories, Avenida de Burgos 91, Madrid, Spain
AIDS Patient Care STDS 24:5-13. 2010..Physicians should be aware of the psychosocial consequences of BPC in HIV patients in order to improve patient well-being...
- Increased homocysteine plasma level is associated with shortened prothrombin time in HIV-infected patientsBernardino Roca
a Medicine Department, Hospital General, Castellon, Spain
HIV Clin Trials 17:218-23. 2016..To find factors associated with increased homocysteine plasma level in HIV-infected patients...
- Comparison of extracorporeal shock wave therapy with botulinum toxin type A in the treatment of plantar fasciitisBernardino Roca
a General and Provincial Hospitals, Castellon, Spain
Disabil Rehabil 38:2114-21. 2016..To compare the efficacy of extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) with botulinum toxin type A (BoNT-A) in the treatment of plantar fasciitis (PF)...
- The new oral anticoagulants: Reasonable alternatives to warfarinBernardino Roca
Hospital General, University Jaume I, Catalunya, Castellon, Spain E mail
Cleve Clin J Med 82:847-54. 2015..Their future role in preventing and treating thromboembolic disease will depend on building clinical experience, but current evidence indicates that they are reasonable alternatives to vitamin K antagonists. ..
- [Predictors of progression and death in patients with advanced HIV infection in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy]Sergio Reus
Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas Hospital General Universitario de Alicante Spain
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 22:142-9. 2004..To assess the factors associated with progression of infection and death in HIV-positive patients with severe immunodepression in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Epidemiological trends of HIV infection in Spain: preventative plans have to be oriented to new target populations (Spanish VACH Cohort)Ignacio Suarez-Lozano
Hospital Infanta Elena, Huelva, Spain
AIDS 16:2496-9. 2002
- [Changing trends in HIV epidemics: recent diagnoses in the Spanish VACH cohort (2000-2002)]Ramon Teira
Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital de Basurto, Bilbao, Spain
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 23:213-7. 2005..Studying the changing trends of HIV epidemics is a useful means of evaluating the results of current preventive plans as well as of defining future needs and objectives...
- [Adherence to antiretroviral therapy]Bernardino Roca
Med Clin (Barc) 118:379-81. 2002
- Interleukin 2 treatment in HIV-1 infectionBernardino Roca
Lancet 367:1054. 2006
- Spinal cord compression from intradural extramedullary tuberculomaBernardino Roca
Am J Med 117:620-1. 2004
- Structured treatment interruption for patients with human immunodeficiency virus infectionBernardino Roca
N Engl J Med 349:2268-9; author reply 2268-9. 2003
- Chronic aortic dissection as a cause of fever of unknown originBernardino Roca
South Med J 96:530. 2003
- Minocycline hypersensitivity reaction with acute respiratory distress syndromeBernardino Roca
Intensive Care Med 29:338. 2003
- Severe rhabdomyolysis and cerivastatin-gemfibrozil combination therapyBernardino Roca
Ann Pharmacother 36:730-1. 2002