Affiliation: Instituto de Salud Carlos III
- A canine leishmaniasis pilot survey in an emerging focus of visceral leishmaniasis: Posadas (Misiones, Argentina)Israel Cruz
WHO Collaborating Centre for Leishmaniasis, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
BMC Infect Dis 10:342. 2010..This event encouraged us to conduct a clinical and parasitological pilot survey on domestic dogs from Posadas to identify their potential role as reservoirs for the disease...
- Characterization of the biology and infectivity of Leishmania infantum viscerotropic and dermotropic strains isolated from HIV+ and HIV- patients in the murine model of visceral leishmaniasisJoana Cunha
IBMC Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
Parasit Vectors 6:122. 2013..The aim of this work is to understand the influence of the natural infectivity of Leishmania strains in the outcome of visceral leishmaniasis...
- An approach for interlaboratory comparison of conventional and real-time PCR assays for diagnosis of human leishmaniasisIsrael Cruz
WHO Collaborating Center for Leishmaniasis, Servicio de Parasitologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ctra Majadahonda Pozuelo, Km2, 28220 Madrid, Spain
Exp Parasitol 134:281-9. 2013....
- Comparison of new diagnostic tools for management of pediatric Mediterranean visceral leishmaniasisIsrael Cruz
WHO Collaborating Centre for Leishmaniasis, Servicio de Parasitologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ctra Pozuelo Majadahonda Km 2, 28220 Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 44:2343-7. 2006..All of the new noninvasive techniques tested showed high diagnostic sensitivity. However, LnPCR analysis of the bone marrow was the most sensitive; this test was able to detect the persistence of parasites and predict potential relapses...
- Factors associated with Leishmania asymptomatic infection: results from a cross-sectional survey in highland northern EthiopiaEstefanía Custodio
Centro Nacional de Medicina Tropical, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1813. 2012..In order to develop effective control strategies on the transmission of the disease it is important to generate knowledge on the epidemiological determinants of the infection...
- [Comparison of conventional and non-conventional serological tests for the diagnosis of imported Chagas disease in Spain]Maria Flores-Chavez
Servicio de Parasitologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda, Madrid, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 28:284-93. 2010..cruzi antibodies, to assess their cross-reactivity with related diseases, and to evaluate the rk39-ELISA and IFAT-Leishmania tests as tools for the differential diagnosis of leishmaniasis due to Leishmania infantum...
- Knowledge, attitudes and practices related to visceral leishmaniasis in rural communities of Amhara State: a longitudinal study in northwest EthiopiaNoemí López-Perea
Centro Nacional de Epidemiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 8:e2799. 2014..The knowledge on how the population perceives the disease is essential in order to propose successful control strategies...
- Sensitivity and specificity of an operon immunochromatographic test in serum and whole-blood samples for the diagnosis of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in Spain, an area of nonendemicityMaria Flores-Chavez
Servicio de Parasitologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
Clin Vaccine Immunol 19:1353-9. 2012..ICT-Operon showed variable sensitivity, depending on the kind of sample, performing better when serum or plasma samples were used. It could therefore be used for serological screening combined with any other conventional test...
- Relapses versus reinfections in patients coinfected with Leishmania infantum and human immunodeficiency virus type 1Miguel A Morales
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Leishmaniasis, Servicio de Parasitologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Madrid, Spain
J Infect Dis 185:1533-7. 2002..These results suggest the utility of this PCR-RFLP analysis in detecting leishmaniasis reinfection in HIV-positive patients...
- What is responsible for a large and unusual outbreak of leishmaniasis in Madrid?Eugenia Carrillo
WHO Collaborating Centre for Leishmaniasis, Servicio de Parasitologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ctra Majadahonda Pozuelo, Km 2, 2, 28220 Madrid, Spain
Trends Parasitol 29:579-80. 2013..Although dogs are the main reservoir host, hares are suspected as a potential culprit for the surprising increase of cases. ..
- Leishmania/HIV co-infections in the second decadeIsrael Cruz
WHO Collaborating Centre for Leishmaniasis, National Centre of Microbiology, Institute of Health Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Indian J Med Res 123:357-88. 2006..An extensive review of the literature on Leishmania/HIV co-infection has allowed the inclusion of a comprehensive and updated list of bibliographical references...
- Multicentric, controlled clinical study to evaluate effectiveness and safety of miltefosine and allopurinol for canine leishmaniosisGuadalupe Miró
Departamento de Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Vet Dermatol 20:397-404. 2009..Miltefosine, in combination with allopurinol, offers a safe, convenient and effective alternative treatment option for canine leishmaniosis compared to the reference therapy...
- Transfusional chagas disease: parasitological and serological monitoring of an infected recipient and blood donorMaria Flores-Chavez
Servicio de Parasitologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 46:e44-7. 2008..Before undergoing immunosuppression, multitransfused patients should be screened for anti-Trypanosoma cruzi antibodies...
- Low prevalence of Leishmania infection in post-epidemic areas of Libo Kemkem, EthiopiaLuis Sordo
Centro Nacional de Epidemiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, CIBER en Epidemiología y Salud Pública CIBERESP, Madrid, Spain
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:955-8. 2012..Only one case of active disease was encountered. The results suggest that the conditions responsible for the outbreak no longer reign. However, active surveillance remains necessary...
- Fatal congenital Chagas' disease in a non-endemic area: a case reportMaria Flores-Chavez
Servicio de Parasitologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ctra, Pozuelo Majadahonda Km 2, 28220 Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
Cases J 1:302. 2008..This paper describes the complications arising in the diagnosis of a newborn with fatal congenital Chagas' disease in Spain, a non-endemic area where visceral leishmaniasis is present...
- Evaluation of two rK39 dipstick tests, direct agglutination test, and indirect fluorescent antibody test for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in a new epidemic site in highland EthiopiaCarmen Cañavate
World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Leishmaniasis, National Center of Microbiology, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:102-6. 2011..4%). Both rK39 immunochromatographic tests perform as well as DAT, and are suitable for VL diagnosis in first-level health centers in this area of Ethiopia...
- [Slowly progressing skin ulcers following a stay in Costa Rica]María Mateo
Servicio de Medicina Tropical, Enfermedades Infecciosas, Microbiologia, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 23:243-4. 2005
- DNA sequence analysis suggests that cytb-nd1 PCR-RFLP may not be applicable to sandfly species identification throughout the Mediterranean regionIvonne Pamela Llanes-Acevedo
Servicio de Parasitologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Leishmaniasis, Ctra Majadahonda Pozuelo Km2, Majadahonda, 28220, Madrid, Spain
Parasitol Res 115:1287-95. 2016..Other molecular approaches like DNA barcoding or phylogenetic analyses would allow a more precise molecular species identification. ..
- Visceral leishmaniasis and HIV coinfection in the Mediterranean regionBegoña Monge-Maíllo
Tropical Medicine and Clinical Parasitology, Infectious Diseases Department, Ramon y Cajal Hospital, Madrid, Spain
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 8:e3021. 2014..This article reviews the epidemiological, diagnostic, clinical, and therapeutic aspects of Leishmania/HIV coinfection in the Mediterranean region. ..
- Kala-azar outbreak in Libo Kemkem, Ethiopia: epidemiologic and parasitologic assessmentJorge Alvar
Department for the Control of Neglected Tropical Diseases CDS NTD IDM, Leishmaniasis Control Program, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, CH 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:275-82. 2007..Molecular typing in splenic aspirates showed L. infantum (six) and L. donovani (one). Local transmission resulted from multiple introductions, is now well established, and will be difficult to eradicate...
- Comparison of molecular markers for strain typing of Leishmania infantumYanick Botilde
Laboratory of Molecular Parasitology, Instituut voor Tropische Geneeskunde, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerpen, Belgium
Infect Genet Evol 6:440-6. 2006..Their choice should be the result of a compromise between the required resolving power, the genetic features of the respective markers and the technical aspects...
- [Skin ulcer in a 9-year-old boy]Paloma Oliver
Servicio de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 25:285-6. 2007