Affiliation: Hospital de Sabadell
- Epidemiology of sepsis and infection in ICU patients from an international multicentre cohort studyCorinne Alberti
Department of Biostatistics, Saint Louis Hospital, Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 28:108-21. 2002..To examine the incidence of infections and to describe them and their outcome in intensive care unit (ICU) patients...
- A modified McCabe score for stratification of patients after intensive care unit discharge: the Sabadell scoreRafael Fernandez
Critical Care Centre, Hospital de Sabadell, Parc Tauli s n, 08208, Sabadell, Spain
Crit Care 10:R179. 2006..Additionally, the attending intensivist frequently anticipates fatal outcome after ICU discharge. Our objective was to test the ability of a new score to stratify patients according to ward mortality after ICU discharge...
- Introduction: severe sepsis and drotrecogin alfa (activated)Antonio Artigas
Critical Care Center, Sabadell Hospital, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Parc Tauli University Institute, Parc Tauli, 08208 Sabadell, Spain
Crit Care 11:S1. 2007
- Role of albumin in diseases associated with severe systemic inflammation: Pathophysiologic and clinical evidence in sepsis and in decompensated cirrhosisAntonio Artigas
Critical Care Center, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Sabadell Hospital, Corporació Sanitària Universitària Parc Taulí, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Sabadell, Barcelona, Spain Electronic address
J Crit Care 33:62-70. 2016..All these characteristics are relevant to diseases associated with systemic inflammation including sepsis and decompensated cirrhosis. ..
- Barrier-protective effects of activated protein C in human alveolar epithelial cellsFerranda Puig
CIBER de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Bunyola, Spain
PLoS ONE 8:e56965. 2013..In conclusion, pretreatment with APC reduced the disruption of barrier integrity induced by thrombin, thus contributing to alveolar epithelial barrier protection...
- What is next in sepsis: current trials in sepsisAntonio Artigas
Critical Care Center, Sabadell Hospital, Corporació Sanitària Universitària Parc Taulí, Sabadell, Spain
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 10:859-62. 2012..A better understanding of how these therapies work is essential and its benefit should be confirmed in future prospective randomized studies...
- Randomized trial evaluating serial protein C levels in severe sepsis patients treated with variable doses of drotrecogin alfa (activated)Andrew F Shorr
Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving Street NW, Washington DC 20010, USA
Crit Care 14:R229. 2010..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the dose and duration of drotrecogin alfa (activated) treatment using serial measurements of protein C compared to standard therapy in patients with severe sepsis...
- Effectiveness of treatments for severe sepsis: a prospective, multicenter, observational studyRicard Ferrer
Critical Care Center, Hospital de Sabadell, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Sabadell, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:861-6. 2009..Several Surviving Sepsis Campaign Guidelines recommendations are reevaluated...
- Ward mortality in patients discharged from the ICU with tracheostomy may depend on patient's vulnerabilityRafael Fernandez
Critical Care Center, Hospital de Sabadell, CibeRes, Parc Tauli s n, 08208 Sabadell, Spain
Intensive Care Med 34:1878-82. 2008..To determine the effect of discharge from the ICU with a tracheostomy tube on ward mortality and its relation to patient vulnerability...
- Impact of Source Control in Patients With Severe Sepsis and Septic ShockMaria Luisa Martínez
1Intensive Care Department, Sabadell Hospital, Instituto Universitario Parc Tauli, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Sabadell, Spain 2Intensive Care Department, Vall d Hebron University Hospital, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain 3CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Barcelona, Spain 4Epidemiology and Assessment Unit, Fundació Parc Taulí, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Sabadell, Spain 5Intensive Care Department, A Coruña University Hospital, A Coruna, Spain 6Intensive Care Department, Reina Sofía de Córdoba University Hospital, Cordoba, Spain 7Multidisciplinary Intensive Care Research Organization MICRO, St James s University Hospital, Trinity Centre for Health Sciences, Dublin, Ireland 8Medical Intensive Care Unit, Rhode Island Hospital, Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, RI
Crit Care Med . 2016..We aimed to determine the epidemiology of source control in the management of sepsis and to analyze the impact of timing to source control on mortality...
- Efficacy of single-dose antibiotic against early-onset pneumonia in comatose patients who are ventilatedJordi Valles
Critical Care Center, Hospital Sabadell, Consorci Hospitalari Universitari Parc Taulí, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Sabadell, Spain
Chest 143:1219-25. 2013..Comatose patients were studied to evaluate the efficacy of a single-dose of antibiotic prophylaxis at intubation against EO-VAP...
- Near-infrared spectroscopy StO2 monitoring to assess the therapeutic effect of drotrecogin alfa (activated) on microcirculation in patients with severe sepsis or septic shockJordi Masip
Critical Care Department, Hospital de Sabadell, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Consorci Sanitari Universitari Parc Tauli, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Parc Tauli s n, Sabadell Barcelona CP 08208, Spain
Ann Intensive Care 3:30. 2013....
- Central venous-to-arterial carbon dioxide difference combined with arterial-to-venous oxygen content difference is associated with lactate evolution in the hemodynamic resuscitation process in early septic shockJaume Mesquida
Critical Care Center, Hospital de Sabadell, Corporació Sanitària Universitària Parc Taulí, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Parc Tauli, 1, Sabadell, 08208, Spain
Crit Care 19:126. 2015..In the present study, we aimed to evaluate the ability of the PcvaCO₂ gap and the PcvaCO₂/arterial-venous oxygen content difference ratio (PcvaCO₂/CavO₂) to predict lactate evolution in septic shock...
- Immunomodulation in sepsis: the role of endotoxin removal by polymyxin B-immobilized cartridgeElisabeth Esteban
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, Passeig Sant Joan de Deu, 2 08950, Universitat de Barcelona, Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Mediators Inflamm 2013:507539. 2013..In this paper, we summarize the immune modulation actions of Polymyxin B-immobilized cartridge to explore its potential usefulness beyond endotoxin elimination. ..
- Pulmonary infections and resistance to antibiotics: recent informationAntoni Torres
Pneumology Department, Clinic Institute of Thorax, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Insitut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 10:1105-8. 2012..This multidisciplinarity allows a rich cross-fertilization and outstanding discussions. This document summarizes the full day devoted to pulmonary infections and resistance to antibiotics...
- Empiric antibiotic treatment reduces mortality in severe sepsis and septic shock from the first hour: results from a guideline-based performance improvement programRicard Ferrer
1Department of Intensive Care, Mútua Terrassa University Hospital, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Barcelona, Spain 2Critical Care Center, Sabadell Hospital, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Corporación Sanitaria Universitaria Parc Tauli, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Sabadell, Spain 3The Ohio State University Center for Biostatistics, Columbus, OH 4Department of Surgery and Emergency Medicine, Division of Acute Care Surgery, Surgical Trauma Critical Care, Barnes Jewish Hospital, Washington University, St Louis, MO 5California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 6Brown University Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI 7Cooper University Hospital, Camden, NJ
Crit Care Med 42:1749-55. 2014..To perform a retrospective analysis on the Surviving Sepsis Campaign database to evaluate the relationship between timing of antibiotic administration and mortality...
- Serum lipopolysaccharide binding protein levels predict severity of lung injury and mortality in patients with severe sepsisJesus Villar
CIBER de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
PLoS ONE 4:e6818. 2009....
- Thenar oxygen saturation during weaning from mechanical ventilation: an observational studyGuillem Gruartmoner
Hospital de Sabadell, Consorci Sanitari Universitari Parc Tauli, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Respir J 43:213-20. 2014..Failure to wean from mechanical ventilation was associated with higher relative increases in deoxygenation after 30 min of spontaneous ventilation...
- Effectiveness of an inspiratory pressure-limited approach to mechanical ventilation in septic patientsIgnacio Martin-Loeches
Critical Care Centre, Corporación Sanitaria Universitaria Parc Tauli, Sabadell University Hospital, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Sabadell, Spain
Eur Respir J 41:157-64. 2013..84, 95% CI 0.72-0.99; p=0.038). ALI in sepsis was associated with higher mortality, especially when an inspiratory pressure-limited mechanical ventilation approach was not implemented...
- Low reticulocyte hemoglobin content is associated with a higher blood transfusion rate in critically ill patients: a cohort studyRafael Fernandez
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu Fundació Althaia, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Manresa, Spain
Anesthesiology 112:1211-5. 2010..Their objective was to determine whether low reticulocyte hemoglobin content (CHr) was associated with transfusion requirements in ICU patients...
- Noninvasive ventilation in patients with "do-not-intubate" orders: medium-term efficacy depends critically on patient selectionRafael Fernandez
Critical Care Center, Hospital de Sabadell, Parc Tauli s n, 08208, Sabadell, Spain
Intensive Care Med 33:350-4. 2007....
- Efficiency of a mechanical device in controlling tracheal cuff pressure in intubated critically ill patients: a randomized controlled studySaad Nseir
Critical Care Center, Hospital de Sabadell, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Corporacio Sanitaria Parc Tauli, Parc Taulí 1, 08208, Sabadell, Spain
Ann Intensive Care 5:54. 2015....
- Thenar oxygen saturation and invasive oxygen delivery measurements in critically ill patients in early septic shockJaume Mesquida
Critical Care Center, Hospital de Sabadell, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Institut Universitari Parc Tauli, Barcelona, Spain
Shock 35:456-9. 2011..9. In patients in septic shock and normalized MAP, low StO₂ reflects extremely low iDO₂. Steady-state StO₂ does not correlate with moderately low iDO₂, indicating poor sensitivity of StO₂ to rule out hypoperfusion...
- Improvement in process of care and outcome after a multicenter severe sepsis educational program in SpainRicard Ferrer
Centro de Críticos, Hospital de Sabadell, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Instituto Universitario Parc Tauli, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
JAMA 299:2294-303. 2008..Concern exists that current guidelines for care of patients with severe sepsis and septic shock are followed variably, possibly due to a lack of adequate education...
- Surviving Sepsis Campaign: association between performance metrics and outcomes in a 7.5-year studyMitchell M Levy
1Alpert Medical School at Brown University, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island 2Adult Critical Care Directorate, St George s Healthcare NHS Trust and St George s University of London, London, United Kingdom 3The Ohio State University Center for Biostatistics, Columbus, Ohio 4California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, California 5Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, Camden, New Jersey 6Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, London, United Kingdom 7Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 8The Ohio State University College of Public Health, Columbus, Ohio 9Hôpital Cochin, Paris, France 10Critical Care Center, Sabadell Hospital, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain 11Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, Camden, New Jersey
Crit Care Med 43:3-12. 2015..To determine the association between compliance with the Surviving Sepsis Campaign (SSC) performance bundles and mortality...
- Predicting treatment failure in patients with community acquired pneumonia: a case-control studyIgnacio Martin-Loeches
Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Servei de Pneumologia, Institut del Tòrax, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Respir Res 15:75. 2014..Those patients have increased mortality and are a target population for randomized clinical trials...
- Early physiological and biological features in three animal models of induced acute lung injuryJosefina Lopez-Aguilar
Critical Care Center, Hospital de Sabadell, Corporacio Parc Tauli, Institut Universitari, Esfera UAB, Parc Tauli s n, 08208 Sabadell, Spain
Intensive Care Med 36:347-55. 2010..Critically ill patients often develop acute lung injury (ALI) in the context of different clinical conditions. We aimed to explore differences in early local and systemic features in three experimental animal models of ALI...
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome: prevention and early recognitionCandelaria de Haro
Critical Care Centre, Hospital de Sabadell, Corporació Sanitària i Universitària Parc Taulí, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Sabadell, Spain
Ann Intensive Care 3:11. 2013..Identifying patients at risk and implementing prevention strategies in this group are key factors in preventing ARDS. This review will discuss early identification of at-risk patients and the current prevention strategies...
- Physiologic parameters as biomarkers: what can we learn from physiologic variables and variation?Ricard Ferrer
Critical Care Center, Hospital de Sabadell, Parc Tauli s n, 08208 Sabadell, Spain
Crit Care Clin 27:229-40. 2011..Physiologic variability of heart rate and body temperature is reduced in sepsis and measuring the variability of these parameters can be useful for the diagnosis and prognosis of sepsis...
- Statin therapy prior to ICU admission: protection against infection or a severity marker?Rafael Fernandez
Critical Care Center, Hospital de Sabadell, Institut Universitari Parc Tauli, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Parc Tauli s n, 08208 Sabadell, Spain
Intensive Care Med 32:160-4. 2006..Examine the impact of previous statin therapy on hospital mortality and whether it is due to a protective effect against ICU-acquired infections...
- Urinary Tissue Inhibitor of Metalloproteinase-2 and Insulin-Like Growth Factor-Binding Protein 7 for Risk Stratification of Acute Kidney Injury in Patients With SepsisPatrick M Honore
1Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, VUB School of Medicine, Brussels, Belgium 2Department of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Department of Emergency Medicine, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 3Division of Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 4Department of Medicine, Division of Intensive Care Medicine and Division of Nephrology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 5Division of Critical Care Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada 6Critical Care Center, Sabadell Hospital, CIBER de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Corporacó Sanitaria Universitaria Parc Tauli, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Sabadell, Spain 7Walker Biosciences, Carlsbad, CA 8Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine 2, Hospital Haut Leveque, University of Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France 9Department of Intensive Care, Erasme University Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium 10The Center for Critical Care Nephrology, Schweiz
Crit Care Med 44:1851-60. 2016..To investigate the effect of nonrenal organ dysfunction on tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2 and insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 7 in this population...
- Patterns of colonization by Pseudomonas aeruginosa in intubated patients: a 3-year prospective study of 1,607 isolates using pulsed-field gel electrophoresis with implications for prevention of ventilator-associated pneumoniaJordi Valles
Critical Care Center, Hospital Sabadell and UDIAT Diagnostic Center, Institut Universitari, Universitat Autonoma Barcelona, Parc Tauli s n, 08208 Sabadell, Spain
Intensive Care Med 30:1768-75. 2004..To identify routes and patterns of colonization with Pseudomonas aeruginosa in intubated patients to design strategies of prevention for respiratory infection...
- [Cost-effectiveness of drotrecogin alpha [activated] in the treatment of severe sepsis in Spain]José A Sacristán
Departamento de Investigación Clínica, Lilly España
Gac Sanit 18:50-7. 2004..The aim of the present study was to assess the cost-effectiveness of drotrecogin alpha (activated) versus that of standard care in the treatment of severe sepsis in Spain...
- Drotrecogin alfa (activated) in the treatment of severe sepsis patients with multiple-organ dysfunction: data from the PROWESS trialJean Francois Dhainaut
Department of Intensive Care, Cochin Hospital AP HP, Cochin Institute, Cochin Port Royal Medical School, Paris V University, 27 rue due Faubourg Saint Jacques, 75679, Paris Cedex 14, France
Intensive Care Med 29:894-903. 2003..We report study's data on efficacy and safety in patients with multiple-organ dysfunction...
- Effects of drotrecogin alfa (activated) on organ dysfunction in the PROWESS trialJean Louis Vincent
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme University Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Belgium
Crit Care Med 31:834-40. 2003..To assess morbidity in patients with severe sepsis managed with and without drotrecogin alfa (activated)...
- Use of the sequential organ failure assessment score as a severity scoreAndré Carlos Kajdacsy-Balla Amaral
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Route de Lennik 808, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Intensive Care Med 31:243-9. 2005..To evaluate whether the SOFA score can be used to develop a model to predict intensive care unit (ICU) mortality in different countries...
- Drotrecogin alfa (activated) treatment in severe sepsis from the global open-label trial ENHANCE: further evidence for survival and safety and implications for early treatmentJean Louis Vincent
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme University Hospital and University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Crit Care Med 33:2266-77. 2005..To provide further evidence for the efficacy and safety of drotrecogin alfa (activated) treatment in severe sepsis...
- Prophylactic heparin in patients with severe sepsis treated with drotrecogin alfa (activated)Marcel Levi
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176:483-90. 2007..Biological plausibility exists for heparin to reduce DrotAA efficacy and/or increase bleeding...
- Influence of systemic inflammatory response syndrome and sepsis on outcome of critically ill infected patientsCorinne Alberti
Service de Sante Publique, 48 Boulevard Serurier, 75019 Paris, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:77-84. 2003..Refinement of risk stratification of patients presenting with infection and no organ dysfunction is needed...
- Efficacy and safety of tifacogin (recombinant tissue factor pathway inhibitor) in severe sepsis: a randomized controlled trialEdward Abraham
Division of Pulmonary Sciences and Critical Care Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262, USA
JAMA 290:238-47. 2003..Tissue factor pathway inhibitor (TFPI) forms a complex with tissue factor and blood protease factors leading to inhibition of thrombin generation and fibrin formation...
- Neutrophil elastase inhibition in acute lung injury: results of the STRIVE studyBernhardt G Zeiher
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Crit Care Med 32:1695-702. 2004....
- High tidal volume and positive fluid balance are associated with worse outcome in acute lung injuryYasser Sakr
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme Hospital, University of Brussels, Belgium
Chest 128:3098-108. 2005..We tested the hypothesis that infection/sepsis and use of higher tidal volumes than those applied in the ARDS Network (ARDSnet) study (> 7.4 mL/kg of predicted body weight) would worsen outcome in patients with ALI/ARDS...
- Positive-end expiratory pressure reduces incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia in nonhypoxemic patientsFrancisco Manzano
Intensive Care Unit, Virgen de las Nieves University Hospital, Granada, Spain
Crit Care Med 36:2225-31. 2008..To analyze the effect on clinical outcomes of prophylactic positive end expiratory pressure in nonhypoxemic ventilated patients...