J P Horcajada
- Transrectal prostatic ultrasonography in acute bacterial prostatitis: findings and clinical implicationsJuan P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia ICII, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Scand J Infect Dis 35:114-20. 2003..TRUS does not need to be performed in every patient with suspicion of ABP; the only indication for TRUS in ABP is the exclusion of prostatic abscess...
- Molecular epidemiology and evolution of resistance to quinolones in Escherichia coli after prolonged administration of ciprofloxacin in patients with prostatitisJuan P Horcajada
Department of Infectious Diseases, Institut Clínic d Infeccions i Immunologia ICII, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 49:55-9. 2002..coli, genetically distinct from the E. coli isolated before and during therapy. Hence, during ciprofloxacin therapy, half of the patients were transiently colonized with new, quinolone-resistant strains of E. coli...
- Evaluation of inflammatory and renal-injury markers in women treated with antibiotics for acute pyelonephritis caused by Escherichia coliJuan P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:142-6. 2004..In women with acute pyelonephritis, appropriate antibiotic treatment rapidly decreases serum IL-6 levels and urine IL-6 and IL-8 levels, which correlate well with urine albumin and IgG levels...
- Community-acquired febrile urinary tract infection in diabetics could deserve a different management: a case-control studyJ P Horcajada
Infectious Diseases, Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia ICII, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Intern Med 254:280-6. 2003..To investigate if there are relevant differences in clinical, microbiological and outcome characteristics of community-acquired febrile urinary tract infection (UTI) between diabetic and nondiabetic patients...
- A nosocomial outbreak of influenza during a period without influenza epidemic activityJ P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques Augusti Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Respir J 21:303-7. 2003..Epidemiological data suggest transmission from healthcare workers to inpatients. Most healthcare workers were not vaccinated against influenza. Vaccination programmes should be reinforced among healthcare workers...
- Decreased invasive capacity of quinolone-resistant Escherichia coli in patients with urinary tract infectionsM Velasco
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 33:1682-6. 2001..coli is less likely to produce invasive disease (pyelonephritis and prostatitis) than is quinolone-susceptible E. coli. However, once pyelonephritis or prostatitis have developed, there is no difference in the incidence of bacteremia...
- Biofilm formation in uropathogenic Escherichia coli strains: relationship with prostatitis, urovirulence factors and antimicrobial resistanceS M Soto
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, School of Medicine, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Urol 177:365-8. 2007..We determined the possible relationships between the different urinary tract infections, and in vitro biofilm formation, the presence of urovirulence factors and nalidixic acid resistance...
- Intra- and inter-species spread of carbapenemase genes in a non-hospitalized patientL Sorli
Service of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Hospital Universitari del Mar, Passeig Maritim 25 29, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 30:1551-5. 2011..To date the prevalence of VIM-1 enzymes in the community is low. This molecular finding suggests an intra-species and/or inter-species horizontal spread of the MBL gene in the same non-hospitalized patient...
- The Early Systemic Prophylaxis of Infection After Stroke study: a randomized clinical trialA Chamorro
Stroke Unit, Hospital Clinic, and Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 36:1495-500. 2005..Early infection after stroke is frequent but the clinical value of antibiotic prophylaxis in acute stroke has never been explored...
- Implication of biofilm formation in the persistence of urinary tract infection caused by uropathogenic Escherichia coliS M Soto
Microbiology Department, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:1034-6. 2006..Biofilm assays may be helpful in selecting patients who require a therapeutic approach to eradicate persistent biofilm-forming E. coli strains and prevent subsequent relapses...
- Urinary micafungin levels are sufficient to treat urinary tract infections caused by Candida sppS Grau
Pharmacy Service, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain Institut Hospital del Mar d Investigacions Mèdiques IMIM, Barcelona, Spain Electronic address
Int J Antimicrob Agents 48:212-4. 2016..resistant to fluconazole. ..
- Clinical and economic impact of urinary tract infections caused by ESBL-producing Escherichia coli requiring hospitalization: A matched cohort studyE Esteve-Palau
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain CEXS, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain Institut Hospital del Mar d Investigacions Mèdiques IMIM, Barcelona, Spain Electronic address
J Infect 71:667-74. 2015..To analyze the clinical and economic impact of urinary tract infections (UTIs) caused by extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Escherichia coli requiring hospitalization...
- Healthcare-associated, community-acquired and hospital-acquired bacteraemic urinary tract infections in hospitalized patients: a prospective multicentre cohort study in the era of antimicrobial resistanceJ P Horcajada
Hospital Universitari del Mar, Barcelona, Spain Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute IMIM, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 19:962-8. 2013..Mortality was associated with patient condition, the severity of infection and hospital acquisition...
- [New antibiotics in primary care]J P Horcajada
Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Institut Clinic d Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Barcelona, Spain
Rev Esp Quimioter 16:118-22. 2003
- Short-term effectiveness of ceftriaxone single dose in the initial treatment of acute uncomplicated pyelonephritis in women. A randomised controlled trialM Sanchez
Emergency Department, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Emerg Med J 19:19-22. 2002..To compare the short-term effectiveness of ceftriaxone single dose followed by cefixime with a standard treatment of acute uncomplicated pyelonephritis in women...
- Novel MASP2 variants detected among North African and Sub-Saharan individualsF Lozano
Servei d Immunologia, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Tissue Antigens 66:131-5. 2005..5%). As reported for MBL2, the marked geographic distribution of the new MASP2 variants may represent an evolutionary adaptation to different environments...
- Molecular diagnosis of bacteriemia in patients with neutropenic febrile oncohematologicE Gimeno
Hematology Department, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain Oncology Department, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain Laboratori de Referencia de Catalunya, Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Oncol 29:9033. 2011..The aim of the study was to compare Septifast with conventional blood cultures in blood samples from neutropenic febrile patients...
- Lack of association between genotypes and haematogenous seeding infections in a large cohort of patients with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia from 21 Spanish hospitalsO Gasch
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 20:361-7. 2014..Higher vancomycin MIC was not identified as an independent risk factor, either. In contrast, persistent bacteraemia (OR 4.2; 2.3-7.8) and non-nosocomial acquisition (3.0; 1.7-5.6) were associated with increased risk...
- Implant sonication increases the diagnostic accuracy of infection in patients with delayed, but not early, orthopaedic implant failureL Puig-Verdié
Hospital del Mar Parc de Salut Mar, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Barcelona, Spain
Bone Joint J 95:244-9. 2013..In early failure, SFC is not superior to PITC for the diagnosis of infection and, therefore, is not recommended as a routine diagnostic test in these patients...
- Effectiveness and safety of colistin for the treatment of multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa infectionsM Montero
Dept of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Hospital del Mar, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Infection 37:461-5. 2009..To describe the clinical and microbiological outcomes of patients infected with multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa (MDRP) treated with colistin (colistimethate sodium) and the adverse events observed with this treatment...
- Acquisition of multidrug-resistant Serratia marcescens by critically ill patients who consumed tap water during receipt of oral medicationJuan P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 27:774-7. 2006..Examination of the outbreak revealed epidemiological evidence that consumption of tap water from a contaminated faucet during receipt of oral medication was the mechanism of S. marcescens acquisition...
- Are quinolone-resistant uropathogenic Escherichia coli less virulent?Jordi Vila
Servei de Microbiologia, Instiutu Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Infect Dis 186:1039-42. 2002..05). These results suggest that resistance to quinolones may be associated with a decrease in the presence or the expression of some virulence factors in uropathogenic E. coli...
- Diagnosis and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in liver transplant recipients in an endemic areaNatividad Benito
Institut Clínic de Infeccions i Inmunologia, Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS Barcelona, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 74:1381-6. 2002..In addition, the risk of isoniazid hepatotoxicity could be high in liver transplant recipients (LTR). A retrospective cohort study was performed to evaluate the diagnosis and treatment of LTBI in LTR...
- Differences in virulence factors among clinical isolates of Escherichia coli causing cystitis and pyelonephritis in women and prostatitis in menJoaquim Ruiz
Servei de Microbiologia, Institut Clinic Infecciones i Inmunologia, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 40:4445-9. 2002..05). Overall, the results suggest that clinical isolates producing prostatitis are more virulent that those producing pyelonephritis or cystitis in women...
- Addition of a macrolide to a beta-lactam-based empirical antibiotic regimen is associated with lower in-hospital mortality for patients with bacteremic pneumococcal pneumoniaJose A Martinez
Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 36:389-95. 2003..However, only a randomized study can definitively determine whether this association is due to a real effect of macrolides...
- Community infections caused by extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coliJesús Rodríguez-Baño
Seccion de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Universitario Virgen Macarena, Avda Dr Fedriani, 3, 41009 Seville, Spain
Arch Intern Med 168:1897-902. 2008..Data concerning risk factors, clinical features, and therapeutic options for such infections are scarce...
- Quinolone-resistant uropathogenic Escherichia coli strains from phylogenetic group B2 have fewer virulence factors than their susceptible counterpartsJuan P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Villaroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 43:2962-4. 2005..Hemolysin, cytotoxic necrotizing factor 1, and S and F1C fimbriae genes were less prevalent among nalidixic acid-resistant E. coli strains. Quinolone resistance may be associated with a decrease in the presence of some virulence factors...
- Didanosine, lamivudine, and efavirenz versus zidovudine, lamivudine, and efavirenz for the initial treatment of HIV type 1 infection: final analysis (48 weeks) of a prospective, randomized, noninferiority clinical trial, GESIDA 3903Juan Berenguer
Hospital Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 47:1083-92. 2008..The combination of didanosine, lamivudine, and efavirenz (ddI/3TC/EFV) for the initial treatment of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) infection has been insufficiently analyzed in clinical trials...
- Endogenous ocular candidiasis: changes in epidemiology and factors associated with poor functional outcomeJuan P Horcajada
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, University of Cantabria, School of Medicine, Santander Cantabria, Spain
Scand J Infect Dis 39:225-30. 2007..Currently, one-third of patients are immunocompromised non-drug users. Therapy with conventional amphotericin B instead of newer antifungal drugs appears to be associated with a poorer functional outcome...
- Clinical consequences of infection in patients with acute stroke: is it prime time for further antibiotic trials?Martha Vargas
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 37:461-5. 2006..We sought to evaluate the predisposing factors and clinical consequences of SAI to gather additional insight on the need of exploring other antibiotics in acute stroke...