- Cartilage and bone biological markers in the synovial fluid of osteoarthritic patients after hyaluronan injections in the kneeG Herrero-Beaumont
Inflammation Research Unit, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Avda Reyes Catolicos 2, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Clin Chim Acta 308:107-15. 2001..To evaluate synovial fluid levels of cartilage and bone biological markers after repetitive intra-articular injections of sodium hyaluronate (HA) in knee osteoarthritis (OA) patients...
- Prostaglandin E2 receptors EP1 and EP4 are up-regulated in rabbit chondrocytes by IL-1beta, but not by TNFalphaM Angeles Alvarez-Soria
Joint and Bone Research Unit, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma, Avenida Reyes Catolicos 2, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Rheumatol Int 27:911-7. 2007..NSAIDs were unable to modify the expression of these mediators induced by IL-1beta. Therefore, the increase in PGE2 synthesis, induced by IL-1beta, does not seem to mediate the increase in EP receptor expression, in rabbit chondrocytes...
- Characterization of a new experimental model of osteoporosis in rabbitsSantos Castañeda
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital de la Princesa, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
J Bone Miner Metab 26:53-9. 2008..Osteoporosis can be induced experimentally in rabbits through isolated MPH or by a combination of OVX and medium dose corticosteroid for 4 weeks. OVX alone was not sufficient to induce osteoporosis...
- Primary osteoarthritis no longer primary: three subsets with distinct etiological, clinical, and therapeutic characteristicsGabriel Herrero-Beaumont
Bone and Joint Research Unit, Service of Rheumatology, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
Semin Arthritis Rheum 39:71-80. 2009....
- Clinical settings in knee osteoarthritis: Pathophysiology guides treatmentGabriel Herrero-Beaumont
Joint and Bone Research Unit, Rheumatology Department, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Autonomous University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain Electronic address
Maturitas 96:54-57. 2017..Further research in this field is warranted...
- SDF-1 signaling: a promising target in rheumatic diseasesAmanda Villalvilla
Bone and Joint Research Unit, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Avda de los Reyes Católicos, 2, Madrid, 28040, Spain 34 915504800
Expert Opin Ther Targets 18:1077-87. 2014..Remarkably, SDF-1 and its receptors, CXCR4 and CXCR7, are also present in joint tissues, where they play a role in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Physiological effects of oral glucosamine on joint health: current status and consensus on future research prioritiesYves Henrotin
Bone and Cartilage Research Unit, University of Liege, Institute of Pathology, Level 5, CHU Sart Tilman, Liege, 4000, Belgium
BMC Res Notes 6:115. 2013..This paper summarizes the available evidence for beneficial effects of GlcN on joint health and proposes new insight into the design of future clinical trials aimed at identifying beneficial physiological effect of GlcN on joint tissues...
- Abatacept mechanism of action: concordance with its clinical profileGabriel Herrero-Beaumont
Laboratorio de Patología Osteoarticular, Servicio de Reumatologia, Instituto de Investigacion Sanitaria, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Reumatol Clin 8:78-83. 2012..Abatacept in combination with methotrexate prevents the progression of joint damage and improves physical function in rheumatoid arthritis patients...
- Analysis of TNFAIP3, a feedback inhibitor of nuclear factor-kappaB and the neighbor intergenic 6q23 region in rheumatoid arthritis susceptibilityRebeca Dieguez-Gonzalez
Laboratorio de Investigacion 2 and Rheumatology Unit, Hospital Clinico Universitario de Santiago, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Arthritis Res Ther 11:R42. 2009..We hypothesized that there is a similar association with RA, including polymorphisms in TNFAIP3 and the intergenic region...
- Bone mineral density and joint cartilage: four clinical settings of a complex relationship in osteoarthritisGabriel Herrero-Beaumont
Bone and Joint Research Unit, Service of Rheumatology, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
Ann Rheum Dis 70:1523-5. 2011..Four clinical settings could arise from this relationship, and furthermore two phenotypes may be identified whether early osteoarthritis coexists with high or low BMD...
- Glucosamine sulfate in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study using acetaminophen as a side comparatorGabriel Herrero-Beaumont
Rheumatology Department, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz Capio, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 56:555-67. 2007..To assess the effects of the prescription formulation of glucosamine sulfate (1,500 mg administered once daily) on the symptoms of knee osteoarthritis (OA) during a 6-month treatment course...
- The reverse glucosamine sulfate pathway: application in knee osteoarthritisGabriel Herrero-Beaumont
Rheumatology Department, Joint and Bone Research Laboratory, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz Capio, Autonomous University of Madrid, Avenida Reyes Catolicos 2, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:215-25. 2007..However, the activity of glucosamine sulfate has recently been related to its capacity to downregulate the catabolic effects of pro-inflammatory molecules, such as IL-1, which are present in osteoarthritic cartilage...
- Chronic arthritis aggravates vascular lesions in rabbits with atherosclerosis: a novel model of atherosclerosis associated with chronic inflammationRaquel Largo
Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, and Universidad Autónoma, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 58:2723-34. 2008..To determine whether systemic inflammation induced by chronic antigen-induced arthritis (AIA) accelerates vascular lesions in rabbits with atherosclerosis...
- Subchondral bone microstructural damage by increased remodelling aggravates experimental osteoarthritis preceded by osteoporosisMiriam Bellido
Service of Rheumatology, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma, Avda, Reyes Catolicos, 2, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R152. 2010..Osteoporosis (OP) increases cartilage damage in a combined rabbit model of OP and osteoarthritis (OA). Accordingly, we assessed whether microstructure impairment at subchondral bone aggravates cartilage damage in this experimental model...
- Effects of estrogen deficiency and low bone mineral density on healthy knee cartilage in rabbitsSantos Castañeda
Bone and Joint Research Unit, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
J Orthop Res 28:812-8. 2010..01). Although low bone mineral density contributes to the minor osteoarthritic alterations observed in our model, estrogen deficiency itself seems to act directly to induce the main pathogenic effects in healthy cartilage of the rabbit...
- Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs and prostaglandin E(2) modulate the synthesis of osteoprotegerin and RANKL in the cartilage of patients with severe knee osteoarthritisJuan Moreno-Rubio
Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 62:478-88. 2010....
- Differential effects of the antioxidant n-acetylcysteine on the production of catabolic mediators in IL-1beta-stimulated human osteoarthritic synoviocytes and chondrocytesJorge A Roman-Blas
Joint and Bone Research Unit, Rheumatology Service, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Pharmacol 623:125-31. 2009..Therefore, NAC might have a symptomatic effect on the synovium rather than a structural effect on the cartilage in osteoarthritis...
- Lipid transport and metabolism in healthy and osteoarthritic cartilageAmanda Villalvilla
Osteoarticular Pathology Laboratory, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Madrid 28040, Spain
Int J Mol Sci 14:20793-808. 2013..This paper reviews lipid transport and metabolism in cartilage. We also analyze signalling pathways directly mediated by lipids and those that involve mTOR pathways, both in normal and osteoarthritic cartilage. ..
- RANKL synthesized by articular chondrocytes contributes to juxta-articular bone loss in chronic arthritisMaría J Martínez-Calatrava
Bone and Joint Research Unit, Service of Rheumatology, IIS Fundación Jiménez D237 az, Universidad Autonoma, Av, Reyes Catolicos 2, 28040, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Res Ther 14:R149. 2012..This study aimed to determine whether RANKL produced by chondrocytes induces osteoclastogenesis and juxta-articular bone loss associated with chronic arthritis...
- Osteoarthritis associated with estrogen deficiencyJorge A Roman-Blas
Bone and Joint Research Unit, Service of Rheumatology, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid 28040, Spain
Arthritis Res Ther 11:241. 2009..Thus, a better understanding of how estrogen acts on joints and other tissues in OA will aid the development of specific and safe estrogen ligands as novel therapeutic agents targeting the OA joint as a whole organ...
- The increase in O-linked N-acetylglucosamine protein modification stimulates chondrogenic differentiation both in vitro and in vivoJessica Andrés-Bergós
Joint and Bone Research Unit, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 287:33615-28. 2012..Thiamet-G administration to C57/bl mice induced a significant expansion in the growth plate height and in the hypertrophic zone height. Therefore, our results show that O-GlcNAc glycosylation has chondromodulating activity...
- Update on the use of abatacept for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritisEsther F Vicente Rabaneda
Rheumatology Department, Hospital Universitario de la Princesa, IIS Princesa, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, C Diego de Leon 62, 28006 Madrid, Spain
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 9:599-621. 2013..This article reviews published data on clinical and radiographic efficacy as well as the safety of this drug, incorporating recent relevant information reported at scientific meetings. ..
- The adipokine lipocalin-2 in the context of the osteoarthritic osteochondral junctionAmanda Villalvilla
Bone and Joint Research Unit, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, UAM, Avda Reyes Catolicos, Madrid, 28040, Spain
Sci Rep 6:29243. 2016....
- Chondroitin sulfate plus glucosamine sulfate shows no superiority over placebo in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial in patients with knee osteoarthritisJorge A Roman-Blas
Joint and Bone Research Unit, Rheumatology Department, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Avda Reyes Catolicos 2, 28002, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Rheumatol . 2016..To assess the efficacy and safety of chondroitin sulfate (CS) plus glucosamine sulfate (GS) compared to placebo in patients with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis (KOA)...
- Aromatase expression in human chondrocytes: An induction due to cultureAmanda Villalvilla
Bone and Joint Research Unit, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Madrid 28040, Spain Electronic address
Maturitas 85:27-33. 2016....
- Subchondral bone as a key target for osteoarthritis treatmentSantos Castañeda
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital de la Princesa, IIS Princesa, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
Biochem Pharmacol 83:315-23. 2012....
- The combined therapy with chondroitin sulfate plus glucosamine sulfate or chondroitin sulfate plus glucosamine hydrochloride does not improve joint damage in an experimental model of knee osteoarthritis in rabbitsJorge A Roman-Blas
Bone and Joint Research Unit IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz UAM and Cooperative Research Thematic Network on Aging and Frailty RETICEF, Madrid, Spain Electronic address
Eur J Pharmacol 794:8-14. 2016....
- Characterization of multinucleated giant cells in synovium and subchondral bone in knee osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritisIvan Prieto-Potín
Bone and Joint Research Unit, Service of Rheumatology, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Autonomous University of Madrid, Avda Reyes Catolicos, 2, Madrid, 28040, Spain
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 16:226. 2015..We aimed to study the presence and characteristics of multinucleated giant cells (MGC) both in synovium and in subchondral bone tissues of patients with OA or RA...
- An OA phenotype may obtain major benefit from bone-acting agentsJorge A Roman-Blas
Bone and Joint Research Unit, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
Semin Arthritis Rheum 43:421-8. 2014..Despite this, the treatment of knee OA patients with antiresorptive drugs has given discordant results, suggesting the existence of a particular patient subset with good response to halting high subchondral remodeling...
- 6-Shogaol inhibits chondrocytes' innate immune responses and cathepsin-K activityAmanda Villalvilla
Osteoarticular Pathology Lab, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Avda Reyes Catolicos, Madrid, Spain
Mol Nutr Food Res 58:256-66. 2014..Given the widespread use and demonstrated properties of GDs, we set out to study their anti-inflammatory and anticatabolic properties in chondrocytes...
- Effect of a high dose of glucosamine on systemic and tissue inflammation in an experimental model of atherosclerosis aggravated by chronic arthritisRaquel Largo
Joint and Bone Research Laboratory, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Reyes Catolicos 2, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H268-76. 2009..GS also prevented the development of inflammation-associated aortic lesions. These results suggest an atheroprotective effect of GS...
- PTH [1-34] enhances bone response around titanium implants in a rabbit model of osteoporosisM Isabel Almagro
Department of Dentistry, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
Clin Oral Implants Res 24:1027-34. 2013..Therefore, we studied the effects of intermittent PTH [1-34] on bone response around titanium implants in experimental osteoporosis induced by ovariectomy and glucocorticoid administration...
- Efficacy and safety of a selective estrogen receptor β agonist, ERB-041, in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a 12-week, randomized, placebo-controlled, phase II studyJorge A Roman-Blas
Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:1588-93. 2010..This study aimed to compare the efficacy and safety of one of these agonists, ERB-041, in subjects with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- An update on the up and coming therapies to treat osteoarthritis, a multifaceted diseaseJorge A Roman-Blas
a Bone and Joint Research Unit, Service of Rheumatology, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Autonomous University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Expert Opin Pharmacother 17:1745-56. 2016..To some extent, OA may be considered an orphan disease. Therefore, there is an urgent need to identify effective and safe new pharmacologic modalities for treating OA...
- Dynamic ultrasound assessment of medial meniscal subluxation in knee osteoarthritisCarlos Acebes
Department of Rheumatology, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Rheumatology (Oxford) 52:1443-7. 2013..The aim of this study was to assess MMS in patients with knee OA and in asymptomatic controls by US in different weight-bearing positions...
- Ultrasonographic assessment of Baker's cysts after intra-articular corticosteroid injection in knee osteoarthritisJ Carlos Acebes
Department of Rheumatology, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Ultrasound 34:113-7. 2006..To assess sonographic changes in Baker's cysts (BCs) of patients with knee osteoarthritis after a single intra-articular corticosteroid injection...
- Transdermal fentanyl for the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritisGabriel Herrero-Beaumont
Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Avenida de los Reyes Catolicos 2, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Rheumatol Int 24:325-32. 2004..001), and in quality of life (Short Form 36 physical P < 0.001, mental P < 0.05). Treatment was assessed favorably: > or = 78% would recommend it. Transdermal fentanyl should be considered in treatment programs for patients with RA...
- Recommendations for the use of new methods to assess the efficacy of disease-modifying drugs in the treatment of osteoarthritisEric Abadie
Department of Registration and Clinical Studies, French Agency For the Safety of Health Products AFSSAPS, France
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 12:263-8. 2004..Recently, new technology has been developed to detect a structural change of the OA joint earlier than conventional X-rays...
- Does oral glucosamine prevent subchondral bone loss in an animal model of osteoarthritis? Comment on the article by Wang et alSantos Castañeda
Arthritis Rheum 58:635. 2008
- Benefits of transdermal fentanyl in patients with rheumatoid arthritis or with osteoarthritis of the knee or hip: an open-label study to assess pain controlKarel Pavelka
Institute of Rheumatology, Prague, Czech Republic
Curr Med Res Opin 20:1967-77. 2004....