- Biocompatibility of intracortical microelectrodes: current status and future prospectsCristina Marin
Institute of Bioengineering, University Miguel Hernández Elche, Spain
Front Neuroeng 3:8. 2010..We discuss some of the exciting opportunities and challenges that lie in this intersection of neuroscience research, bioengineering, neurology and biomaterials...
- Development of a cortical visual neuroprosthesis for the blind: the relevance of neuroplasticityE Fernandez
Instituto de Bioingenieria, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Elche, Spain
J Neural Eng 2:R1-12. 2005..Continued research and development in neuroprosthesis technology will likely result in a substantial improvement in the quality of life of blind and visually impaired individuals...
- Mapping of the human visual cortex using image-guided transcranial magnetic stimulationE Fernandez
Institute of Bioengineering, Faculty of Medicine, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, San Juan 03550, Spain
Brain Res Brain Res Protoc 10:115-24. 2002..Such a non-invasive method is critical for selection of suitable subjects for a cortical visual prosthesis...
- Are neurons multifractals?E Fernandez
Instituto de Bioingenieria, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, San Juan, Spain
J Neurosci Methods 89:151-7. 1999..Instead the sand-box method gives a Dq which monotonically decreases with q. Although this result may indicate that neurons are multifractals, it is argued that size effects may in fact be the origin of this apparent multifractality...
- Population coding in spike trains of simultaneously recorded retinal ganglion cellsE Fernandez
Department of Histology and Institute of Bioengineering, Fac Medicina, University Miguel Hernandez, San Juan 03550, Alicante, Spain
Brain Res 887:222-9. 2000....
- On the validity of the two-cells model in the analysis of passive electrical properties of gap-junction connected cellsE Andreu
Instituto de Bioingenieria, , Alicante, Spain
Eur Biophys J 30:374-7. 2001..It is here shown that, if the length constant is sufficiently large, the mentioned procedure can lead to qualitatively incorrect results...
- Role of architecture in determining passive electrical properties in gap junction-connected cellsE Andreu
Instituto de Bioingenieria, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Campus de San Juan, Alicante, Spain
Pflugers Arch 439:789-97. 2000..Subsequent analysis by means of a linear chain and the square and triangular lattices showed the crucial relevance of architecture in deriving the electrical characteristics of gap junction-connected cells from experimental data...
- Use of fractal theory in neuroscience: methods, advantages, and potential problemsE Fernandez
Instituto de Bioingenieria, Elche, Spain
Methods 24:309-21. 2001..Several related methodological considerations, such as preparation of the image and estimation of the fractal dimensions from the data points, as well as the advantages and problems of fractal geometric analysis, are discussed...
- Effects of fluctuations on electrical properties of gap-junction connected cells in the turtle retinaE Louis
Departamento de Física Aplicada and Unidad Asociada of the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Universidad de Alicante, Apartado 99, E 03080, Alicante, Spain
Neurosci Lett 323:21-4. 2002....
- Role of transport performance for neuron cell morphologyE Louis
Departamento de Fisica Aplicada, Instituto Universitario de Materiales and Unidad Asociada of the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Universidad de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
FASEB J 21:866-71. 2007..The results suggest that neurons may grow in such a way that facilitates the current flow to the synapses, concurrently minimizing power consumption...
- High-resolution two-dimensional spatial mapping of cat striate cortex using a 100-microelectrode arrayD J Warren
Center for Neural Interfaces, Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112-9458, USA
Neuroscience 105:19-31. 2001..These results have implications for neuroprosthetic applications. Assuming phosphene organization resembles the visuotopic organization, remapping of visual space may be necessary to accommodate the scatter in phosphene locations...