- Atmospheric semivolatile organochlorine compounds in European high-mountain areas (central Pyrenees and high Tatras)Barend L van Drooge
Department of Environmental Chemistry, Institute of Chemical and Environmental Research ICER CSIC, Jordi Girona 18, 08034 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 38:3525-32. 2004..3 +/- 2.8 and 0.4 +/- 0.05 pg m(-3), respectively) than overall average...
- Distribution of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the food web of a high mountain lake, Pyrenees, Catalonia, SpainIngrid Vives
Department of Environmental Chemistry, Institute of Chemical and Environmental Research CSIC, Jordi Girona 18, 08034 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Toxicol Chem 24:1344-52. 2005..The PAH levels in trout highly depend on organisms living in the littoral areas. Fish exposure to PAH, therefore, may vary from lake to lake according to the relative contribution of littoral organisms to their diet...
- Pollutant dehalogenation capability may depend on the trophic evolutionary history of the organism: PBDEs in freshwater food websMireia Bartrons
Center for Limnology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e41829. 2012....
- The roles of food and water in the bioaccumulation of organochlorine compounds in high mountain lake fishJordi Catalan
Center for Advanced Studies of Blanes CEAB CSIC, Accés Cala St Francesc, 17300 Blanes, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 38:4269-75. 2004..Residence times longer than one decade were found for the more chlorinated PCB...
- Factors governing the atmospheric deposition of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons to remote areasPilar Fernandez
Institute of Chemical and Environmental Research ICER CSIC, Jordi Girona, 18, 08034 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 37:3261-7. 2003..The deposition of high molecular weight PAH depends more on particle deposition and precipitation, whereas air temperature is the main factor controlling the deposition fluxes of the low molecular weight PAH...
- Altitudinal gradients of PBDEs and PCBs in fish from European high mountain lakesEva Gallego
Department of Environmental Chemistry I LQ A B C S I C, Jordi Girona, 18, 08034 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 41:2196-202. 2007....
- Altitudinal and thermal gradients of hepatic Cyp1A gene expression in natural populations of Salmo trutta from high mountain lakes and their correlation with organohalogen loadsSergio Jarque
Institute of Environmental Assessment and Water Research IDAEA CSIC, Jordi Girona 18, 08034 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Pollut 158:1392-8. 2010..As geographical distribution of semi-volatile OC is strongly influenced by air temperatures, future climate modifications will potentially enhance their physiological effects in lake ecosystems...
- Influence of altitude and age in the accumulation of organochlorine compounds in fish from high mountain lakesIngrid Vives
Department of Environmental Chemistry I C E R C S L C, Jordi Girona 18, 08034 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 38:690-8. 2004..The observed temperature dependence suggests that a general remobilization of OC accumulated in high mountain areas could take place as a consequence of the general warming of these areas anticipated in the climatic change studies...
- Concentration changes of organochlorine compounds and polybromodiphenyl ethers during metamorphosis of aquatic insectsMireia Bartrons
Limnology Unit CSIC UB, Centre for Advanced Studies of Blanes CEAB CSIC, Accés Cala St Francesc, 14, 17300 Blanes, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 41:6137-41. 2007....
- Differential accumulation of mercury and other trace metals in the food web components of a reservoir impacted by a chlor-alkali plant (Flix, Ebro River, Spain): Implications for biomonitoringDavid X Soto
Centre for Advanced Studies of Blanes CEAB CSIC, Accés a la Cala St Francesc 14, 17300 Blanes, Spain
Environ Pollut 159:1481-9. 2011..We conclude providing an overview of the strengths and weaknesses of the main organisms considered for biomonitoring trace metals in rivers and reservoirs...
- Altitudinal distributions of BDE-209 and other polybromodiphenyl ethers in high mountain lakesMireia Bartrons
Department of Environmental Chemistry, Institute of Environmental Assessment and Water Research IDÆA CSIC, Jordi Girona, 18, 08034 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Pollut 159:1816-22. 2011....
- Contaminant accumulation and multi-biomarker responses in field collected zebra mussels (Dreissena polymorpha) and crayfish (Procambarus clarkii), to evaluate toxicological effects of industrial hazardous dumps in the Ebro river (NE Spain)Melissa Faria
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IDAEA CSIC, Jordi Girona 18, 08034 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Chemosphere 78:232-40. 2010..The response of biomarkers to these pollutant concentrations differences was reflected in high activities and levels of antioxidant enzymes, metallothioneins, lipid peroxidation and DNA strand breaks and decreased levels of glutathione...
- Atmospherc deposition of organochlorine compounds to remote high mountain lakes of EuropeGuillem Carrera
Institute of Chemical and Environmental Research ICER CSIC, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 36:2581-8. 2002..Comparison of OC composition in atmospheric and sedimentary deposition evidences a selective trapping of the less volatile compounds. Trapping efficiencies increase at decreasing air temperatures of the lacustrine systems...
- Background fish feminization effects in European remote sitesSergio Jarque
Institute of Environmental Assessment and Water Research IDÆA CSIC Jordi Girona, 18 08034 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Sci Rep 5:11292. 2015..These results should be of general concern given the increasing endocrine disruption effects in human populations. ..
- Helical Lévy walks: adjusting searching statistics to resource availability in microzooplanktonFrederic Bartumeus
Departament d Ecologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Avinguda Diagonal 645, 08028 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:12771-5. 2003..Our results support the idea of universality of the statistical laws in optimal searching processes despite variations in the biological details of the organisms...
- High bacterial diversity in epilithic biofilms of oligotrophic mountain lakesMireia Bartrons
Biogeodynamics and Biodiversity Group, Centre for Advanced Studies of Blanes, CEAB CSIC, Spanish Council for Scientific Research, Accés Cala St Francesc 14, 17300 Blanes, Spain
Microb Ecol 64:860-9. 2012..Further research is needed to determine whether these communities are involved in more biogeochemical pathways than previously thought...
- Spatial And Temporal Trends Of Organic Pollutants In Vegetation From Remote And Rural AreasMireia Bartrons
CSIC, Global Ecology Unit CREAF CSIC UAB Cerdanyola del Vallès 08193, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Sci Rep 6:25446. 2016..These results support a concerning general accumulation of toxic pollutants in most ecosystems of the globe that for some compounds is still far from being mitigated in the near future. ..
- Modelling the dynamic air-water-sediment coupled fluxes and occurrence of polychlorinated biphenyls in a high altitude lakeSandra N Meijer
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IIQAB CSIC, Barcelona 18 26, Barcelona, 08034 Catalunya, Spain
Environ Pollut 140:546-60. 2006..Furthermore, it is shown that diffusive air-water exchange dominated the PCB dynamics in the lake, especially for the less chlorinated biphenyls...