- Long-term results after cardiac surgery in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus type-1 (HIV-1)Carlos A Mestres
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hospital Clinico, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:1007-16; discussion 1016. 2003..Assessment of long-term results of immunodeficiency virus type-1 (HIV-1)-infected patients undergoing cardiac surgery...
- Alternariosis after liver transplantationN Benito
Institut Clínic d Infeccions i Inmunologia, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 72:1840-3. 2001..We describe an additional case and review the literature on infections due to Alternaria in organ transplant recipients, with special emphasis on treatment...
- Diagnosis and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in liver transplant recipients in an endemic areaNatividad Benito
Institut Clínic de Infeccions i Inmunologia, Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS Barcelona, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 74:1381-6. 2002..In addition, the risk of isoniazid hepatotoxicity could be high in liver transplant recipients (LTR). A retrospective cohort study was performed to evaluate the diagnosis and treatment of LTBI in LTR...
- [Human herpesvirus type 6 and type 7 in transplant recipients]Natividad Benito
Servicio de Infecciones Institut Clínic d Infeccions i Inmunologia Hospital Clínic Universitari IDIBAPS Barcelona España
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 21:424-32. 2003....
- Inflammatory responses in blood samples of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients with pulmonary infectionsNatividad Benito
Service of Infectious Diseases, Institut Clínic de Infeccions i Inmunologia, Clinic Hospital IDIBAPS, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:608-14. 2004..An elevated IL-8 level (>61 pg/ml) at the time of admission was an independent factor associated with higher mortality (odds ratio, 12; 95% confidence interval, 1.2 to 235.5)...
- Infection with human herpesvirus 6 after kidney-pancreas transplantNatividad Benito
Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Transplant 4:1197-9. 2004..The role of HHV-6 in solid-organ transplant recipients is not well defined. In hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (SCT) HHV-6 may cause fever, rash, myelosuppression, interstitial pneumonitis, and encephalitis...
- Prevalence of dihydropteroate synthase genotypes before and after the introduction of combined antiretroviral therapy and their influence on the outcome of Pneumocystis pneumonia in HIV-1-infected patientsMiriam J Alvarez-Martinez
Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS Institut d Investigació August Pi i Sunyer, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 68:60-5. 2010..However, their presence did not worsen prognosis of PcP. The response to TMP-SMX with therapeutic doses was successful in most cases...
- Human herpesvirus 7 primary infection in kidney transplant recipientsAndrés Antón
Department of Microbiology, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 85:298-302. 2008..In our study, the incidence of posttransplant HHV-7 primary infection was low and asymptomatic...
- Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia in Spanish HIV-infected patients in the combined antiretroviral therapy era: prevalence of dihydropteroate synthase mutations and prognostic factors of mortalityMiriam J Alvarez-Martinez
Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 62:34-43. 2008..03 and P < 0.001, respectively). The prevalence of DHPS mutants in Spain is low and is not associated with a worse outcome. Severe respiratory failure at admission is the strongest predictor of PCP outcome...
- A prospective survey of human herpesvirus-6 primary infection in solid organ transplant recipientsCarlos Cervera
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 82:979-82. 2006..In conclusion, our findings show a low incidence of symptomatic primary HHV-6 infection among seronegative solid-organ transplant recipients...
- Impact of colistin plasma levels on the clinical outcome of patients with infections caused by extremely drug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosaLuisa Sorli
Infectious Disease Service, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain
BMC Infect Dis 17:11. 2017..Colistin has a narrow therapeutic window with nephrotoxicity being the major dose-limiting adverse effect. Currently, the optimal doses and therapeutic plasma levels are unknown...
- Health Care-Associated Infective Endocarditis: a Growing Entity that Can Be PreventedNatividad Benito
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Internal Medicine Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau Institut d Investigació Biomèdica Sant Pau, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Sant Antoni Maria Claret, 167, 08025, Barcelona, Spain
Curr Infect Dis Rep 16:439. 2014..Measures for preventing the infection of prosthetic valves and cardiac implantable devices at the time of implantation also need to be implemented. ..
- Influence of age in renal transplant infections: cases and controls studyIsabel Trouillhet
Services of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 80:989-92. 2005..Mortality rate was 13% in the cases (5% due to infections), whereas there was no controls' mortality. Although the number of bacterial infections was higher, kidney transplantation in elderly patients is a secure procedure...
- Prognostic factors of non-HIV immunocompromised patients with pulmonary infiltratesAna Rañó
Servei de Pneumologia, Institut Clinic de Pneumologia i Cirurgia Toracica, Barcelona, Spain
Chest 122:253-61. 2002..To assess the outcome and the prognostic factors in 200 non-HIV immunocompromised patients with pulmonary infiltrates (PIs)...
- Pulmonary infiltrates in immunosuppressed patients: analysis of a diagnostic protocolCristina Danes
Servei de Microbiologia, Institut Clinic d Infeccions i Immunologia, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques Agustí Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 40:2134-40. 2002..Rapid diagnostic tests yielded results in 71 of 114 (62.2%) diagnoses of etiological pneumonia...
- Sensitivity and specificity of nested and real-time PCR for the detection of Pneumocystis jiroveci in clinical specimensMiriam J Alvarez-Martinez
Microbiology Department, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 56:153-60. 2006..Real-time PCR has a statistically significantly better specificity than nested PCR (P = .015) and is likely to generate fewer false positives...
- Health care-associated native valve endocarditis: importance of non-nosocomial acquisitionNatividad Benito
Hospital de Santa Creu i Sant Pau, University Autonoma of Barcelona, and Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Intern Med 150:586-94. 2009..The clinical profile and outcome of nosocomial and non-nosocomial health care-associated native valve endocarditis are not well defined...
- Septic arthritis due to Clostridium ramosumAntonio García-Jiménez
Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Institut d Investigació Biomèdica Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
Semin Arthritis Rheum 45:617-20. 2016..Previous cases of arthritis caused by Clostridium ramosum have not been reported. We describe the first 2 cases of C. ramosum arthritis...
- Etiology of surgical site infections after primary total joint arthroplastiesNatividad Benito
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau Institut d Investigació Biomèdica Sant Pau, Sant Antoni Maria Claret 167, 08025, Barcelona, Spain Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain Spanish Network for Research in Infectious Diseases REIPI RD12 0015, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid
J Orthop Res 32:633-7. 2014..1% in 2004 to 41.7% in 2010, p = 0.014). Multivariate analysis corroborated these trends. Our study reports an emergence of GNB as a cause of SSIs after primary total joint arthroplaties and an increase of polymicrobial infections...
- Human herpesvirus 1 meningoencephalitis after trigeminal neuralgia surgeryNuria Prim
Servei de Microbiologia, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Sant Quinti 89, Barcelona, Spain
J Infect 67:79-81. 2013..Although this surgery has been reported to increase the risk of mucocutaneous HHV-1 recurrence, to our knowledge, an association between trigeminal surgery and HHV-1 encephalitis has not been previously described...
- Trough colistin plasma level is an independent risk factor for nephrotoxicity: a prospective observational cohort studyLuisa Sorli
Infectious Diseases Service, Parc de Salut Mar, Passeig Maritim 25 29, E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
BMC Infect Dis 13:380. 2013..The aim of this study was to determine the incidence and the potential risk factors of colistin-associated nephrotoxicity including colistin plasma levels...
- [Specialized home care for infectious disease. Experience from 1995 to 2002]Juan Pablo Horcajada
Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Universidad de Barcelona, IDIBAPS Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 25:429-36. 2007..This study reviews the experience of this service from 1995 to 2002 using prospectively recorded data...
- Native valve endocarditis due to coagulase-negative staphylococci: report of 99 episodes from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged DatabaseVivian H Chu
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:1527-30. 2004..These results emphasize the importance of CoNS as a cause of NVE and the potential for serious complications with this infection...