Affiliation: University of Cape Town
Country: South Africa
- Viral hepatitis in South African healthcare workers at increased risk of occupational exposure to blood-borne virusesE Vardas
Department of Community Health, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Hosp Infect 50:6-12. 2002..HCV recommendations are based on appropriate education of HCWs about this infection and its prevention and a standardized post-exposure testing protocol...
- Preparing for phase II/III HIV vaccine trials in AfricaEftyhia Vardas
Perinatal HIV Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, PO Box 114, Diepkloof 1864, Johannesburg, South Africa
Microbes Infect 7:1436-44. 2005..Plans and ongoing work in the context of the AIDS Vaccine Integrated Project and some preliminary data are presented...
- Characterization of HIV type 1 genetic diversity among South African participants enrolled in the AIDS Vaccine Integrated Project (AVIP) studyMaria A Papathanasopoulos
HIV Pathogenesis Research Laboratory, Department of Molecular Medicine and Haematology, University of the Witwatersrand Medical School, Parktown, Johannesburg, South Africa
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 26:705-9. 2010..The predominance of HIV-1 subtype C in South African populations is therefore confirmed in the AVIP cohort finalized for testing preventive or therapeutic vaccines against HIV-1 infection...
- Indicators of therapeutic effect in FIT-06, a Phase II trial of a DNA vaccine, GTU(®)-Multi-HIVB, in untreated HIV-1 infected subjectsEftyhia Vardas
Lancet Laboratories, Richmond, Johannesburg, South Africa
Vaccine 30:4046-54. 2012..We evaluated the safety, immunogenicity and clinical effect of a novel recombinant plasmid DNA therapeutic HIV-1 vaccine, GTU(®)-multi-HIVB, containing 6 different genes derived from an HIV-1 subtype B isolate...
- A phase 2 study to evaluate the safety and immunogenicity of a recombinant HIV type 1 vaccine based on adeno-associated virusEftyhia Vardas
Perinatal HIV Research Unit, Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, Soweto, South Africa
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 26:933-42. 2010..Two doses of tgAAC09 were well tolerated at the dosage levels given. Fewer than half the recipients of the highest vaccine dosage, 3 x 10(12) DRP, had T cell responses to HIV...
- Human leukocyte antigen class I (A, B, C) and II (DRB1) diversity in the black and Caucasian South African populationMaria Paximadis
Centre for HIV and STIs, National Institute for Communicable Diseases, National Health Laboratory Services and the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Hum Immunol 73:80-92. 2012..However, vaccine coverage estimation came close to 100% in both population groups, with inclusion of only four Supertype families (A1, A2, B7, B58)...
- External genital human papillomavirus prevalence and associated factors among heterosexual men on 5 continentsEftyhia Vardas
Division of Medical Virology, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa and Lancet Laboratories, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Infect Dis 203:58-65. 2011..We examined the baseline prevalence of penile, scrotal, and perineal/perianal human papillomavirus (HPV) in heterosexual men (HM). We also evaluated baseline characteristics of HM to assess factors associated with prevalent HPV detection...
- HIV testing using dried blood spotsRogerio Phili
Special Pathogens Unit, National Institute for Virology, Johannesburg, South Africa
Trop Doct 32:30. 2002
- Beyond the checklist: assessing understanding for HIV vaccine trial participation in South AfricaGraham Lindegger
HIV AIDS Vaccines Ethics Group, School of Psychology, University of KwaZulu Natal, Pietermaritzburg, Private Bag X01, Scottsville 3209, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:560-6. 2006..This study designed and compared 4 measures of understanding for potential participants being prepared for enrollment in South African HIV vaccine trials, using detailed operational scoring criteria...
- Predicting the impact of a partially effective HIV vaccine and subsequent risk behavior change on the heterosexual HIV epidemic in low- and middle-income countries: A South African exampleKyeen M Andersson
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 46:78-90. 2007..Even modestly effective HIV vaccines can confer enormous benefits in terms of HIV infections averted and decreased HIV prevalence. However, programs to reduce risk behavior may be important components of successful vaccination campaigns...
- Sequence conservation and antibody cross-recognition of clade B human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type 1 Tat protein in HIV-1-infected Italians, Ugandans, and South AfricansStefano Butto
Laboratory of Virology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Infect Dis 188:1171-80. 2003..These data indicate an effective cross-recognition of a B-clade laboratory strain-derived Tat protein vaccine by individuals infected with different local viruses, owing to the high similarity of Tat epitopes...
- Studies of a prophylactic HIV-1 vaccine candidate based on modified vaccinia virus Ankara (MVA) with and without DNA priming: effects of dosage and route on safety and immunogenicityBarry S Peters
Kings College London, UK
Vaccine 25:2120-7. 2007..Modified vaccinia virus Ankara (MVA) and plasmid DNA (pTHr) expressed HIV-1 clade A gag p24 and p17 fused to a string of 25 overlapping CD8+ T cell epitopes (HIVA)...
- HIV-1 Tat-based vaccines: from basic science to clinical trialsEmanuele Fanales-Belasio
Laboratory of Virology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
DNA Cell Biol 21:599-610. 2002..Based on these results and on data of Tat conservation and immune cross-recognition in field isolates from different clades, phase I clinical trials are being initiated in Italy for both preventive and therapeutic vaccination...
- Cross-clade reactivity of HIV-1-specific T-cell responses in HIV-1-infected individuals from Botswana and CameroonSwati B Gupta
Merck and Co, Inc, Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:135-9. 2006..Substantial cross-clade cell-mediated immune responses in Botswana and Cameroon confirm previous findings in a larger, more genetically diverse collection of HIV-1 samples...
- Prevalence of neutralizing antibodies to adenoviral serotypes 5 and 35 in the adult populations of The Gambia, South Africa, and the United StatesEdward Nwanegbo
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania 15219, USA
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:351-7. 2004..Because of the ability of adenoviruses to elicit systemic and mucosal immune responses, Ad35 with its low NAb prevalence appears to be an attractive candidate vector for gene therapy applications...