- Effects of different fluids on the relationship between swallowing and breathing during nutritive sucking in neonates
Division of Neonatology, Chiba Children s Hospital, 5789 1 Heta Cho, Midori ku, Chiba City, Chiba, Japan
Biol Neonate 81:45-50. 2002
..In conclusion, expressed breast milk is suitable for neonates because better coordination between swallowing and breathing could be obtained and subclinical aspiration could be prevented...
- Changes in sucking performance from nonnutritive sucking to nutritive sucking during breast- and bottle-feeding
Division of Neonatology, Chiba Children s Hospital, Chiba City, Chiba, Japan 266 0007
Pediatr Res 59:728-31. 2006
..The change in sucking pressure and duration from NNS to NS differed between breast-feeding and bottle-feeding. Even with a modified bottle and teats, bottle-feeding differs from breast-feeding...
- Differences in perception of the WHO International Code of Marketing of Breast Milk Substitutes between pediatricians and obstetricians in Japan
Showa University of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Tokyo, Japan
Int Breastfeed J 1:12. 2006
..The aim of this study was to explore the knowledge and attitudes of pediatricians and obstetricians in Japan to the WHO Code...
- Effects of body position on blood gases and lung mechanics of infants with chronic lung disease during tube feeding
Division of Neonatology, Chiba Children s Hospital, Japan
Pediatr Int 41:609-14. 1999
..The effects of body position and feeding on lung mechanics and blood gases in very low birthweight infants with chronic lung disease (CLD) is not fully elucidated...
- Analysis of feeding behavior with direct linear transformation
Chiba Children s Hospital, Division of Neonatology, Japan
Early Hum Dev 82:199-204. 2006
..The sucking pattern of term infants is composed of a rhythmic alteration of expression and suction movements. The aim is to evaluate if direct linear transformation (DLT) method could be used for the assessment of infant feeding...
- Sipping/lapping is a safe alternative feeding method to suckling for preterm infants
Division of Neonatology, Chiba Children s Hospital, Chiba, Japan
Acta Paediatr 94:574-80. 2005
..In addition, tongue movement was compared between sipping/lapping and suckling (bottle- and breastfeeding)...
- Neonatal feeding performance as a predictor of neurodevelopmental outcome at 18 months
Chiba Children s Hospital, Division of Neonatology, 579 1, Heta Cho, Midori ku, Chiba City, Chiba, Japan 266 0007
Dev Med Child Neurol 47:299-304. 2005
..The sensitivity and specificity of feeding assessment were higher than those of ultrasound assessment. Neonatal feeding performance is, therefore, of prognostic value in detecting future developmental problems...
- Mother-infant skin-to-skin contact after delivery results in early recognition of own mother's milk odour
Division of Neonatology, Chiba Children s Hospital, Chiba, Japan
Acta Paediatr 93:1640-5. 2004
..To determine the effects of mother-infant skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth on infant recognition of their own mother's milk odour and breastfeeding duration until 1 y of age...
- Antenatal olfactory learning influences infant feeding
Chiba Children s Hospital, Division of Neonatology, 579 1, Heta Cho, Midori, Chiba City, Chiba, Japan
Early Hum Dev 76:83-90. 2004
..In conclusion, the odor preferences acquired independently from postnatal experience may have a greater effect than postnatal olfactory learning on sucking activity...
- Infants with bronchopulmonary dysplasia suckle with weak pressures to maintain breathing during feeding
Showa University of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, 1 5 8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8666, Japan
Pediatrics 120:e1035-42. 2007
..The aim of this study was to determine whether the severity of bronchopulmonary dysplasia affects not only coordination among suck-swallow-respiration but also sucking endurance and performance itself...
- The effects of body positioning on sucking behaviour in sick neonates
Chiba Children s Hospital, Department of Neonatology, Japan
Eur J Pediatr 159:827-31. 2000
..05), although the minute ventilation during bottle-feeding was not different from that in the supine position. In the prone position, the sucking pressure and frequency were higher and the duration of each suck was shorter...
- Feeding behaviour of infants with cleft lip and palate
Chiba Children s Hospital, Division of Neonatology, Chiba, Chiba City, Japan
Acta Paediatr 91:1227-32. 2002
..The difference in intra-oral movements between the type-P teat, modified for the evaluation of feeding behaviour, and an unmodified type-P teat was also compared using ultrasonography...
- Development of sucking behavior in infants with Down's syndrome
Chiba Children s Hospital, Division of Neonatology, Chiba City, Japan
Acta Paediatr 90:1384-8. 2001
..Although levels of the sucking pressure and duration were in the normal range, significant development occurred with time. Ultrasonographic images showed deficiency in the smooth peristaltic tongue movement...
- Development of sucking behavior in infants who have not been fed for 2 months after birth
Department of Neonatology, Chiba Children Hospital, Chiba, Japan
Pediatr Int 43:251-5. 2001
..In the present study, we investigated whether an oral-feed practice is necessary for the development of sucking behavior and whether non-nutritive sucking could support the development of this behavior while the infants cannot be fed...
- Smoking is associated with insulin resistance and cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction in type 2 diabetic patients
Department of Cardiovascular Science, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, 1 1 Idaigaoka, Hasama, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Eur J Clin Invest 36:459-65. 2006
..This study tested the hypothesis that smoking is associated with insulin resistance/hyperinsulinaemia and cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction in type 2 diabetic patients who are not treated with insulin...
- Acute congestive heart failure associated with a limited form of systemic sclerosis and primary biliary cirrhosis
Internal Medicine I, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Saitama
Intern Med 40:73-6. 2001
..The present case indicates that minute care should thus be taken for the prevention of acute CHF even in patients with a limited form of SSc when thallium perfusion defects are identified...
- Exercise intensity based on heart rate while walking in spastic cerebral palsy
Chigasaki Shin Hokuryo Rehabilitation Hospital, Kanagawa, Japan
Bull Hosp Jt Dis 60:18-22. 2001
..The HR while walking of the two subjects rated as level 3 continued to increase although the walking speed was kept constant. The walking exercise would be too strong and become detrimental to such subjects...
- Clinical value of multidetector row computed tomography in detecting lymph node metastasis of early gastric cancer
Department of Surgery, The Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Surg Oncol 31:743-8. 2005
..To evaluate the clinical value of multidetector row computed tomography (MDCT) as a pre-operative staging tool for lymph node metastasis in patients with early gastric cancer (EGC)...
- Evaluation of floating impeller phenomena in a gyro centrifugal pump
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
ASAIO J 49:744-7. 2003
..When magnet balance is proper, the floating impeller phenomenon occurs automatically in response to the impeller revolution. This is called "the dynamic revolutions per minute suspension."..
- A patient with kawasaki disease showing severe tricuspid regurgitation and left ventricular dysfunction in the acute phase
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Kinki University School of Medicine, 377 2 Ohno Higashi, Osaka Sayama, Osaka 589 8511, Japan
Pediatr Cardiol 24:60-3. 2003
..With improvement of left ventricular function, the tricuspid regurgitation rapidly improved, then disappeared. There are no previous reports in the literature of KD complicated by severe tricuspid regurgitation...