- Low literacy and mental illness in a nationally representative sample
Tetine L Sentell
University of California, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 191:549-52. 2003
- Literacy and comprehension of Beck Depression Inventory response alternatives
Tetine L Sentell
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Community Ment Health J 39:323-31. 2003
..These preliminary results suggest that poor comprehension of mental health measures is not only prevalent, but also cannot be estimated from patients' education or assessed reading levels...
- Importance of adult literacy in understanding health disparities
Tetine Lynn Sentell
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:862-6. 2006
..This relationship has not been tested in a nationally representative sample of U.S. adults...
- Access to mental health treatment by English language proficiency and race/ethnicity
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, 2727 Mariposa Street, Suite 100, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:289-93. 2007
..Limited English proficiency (LEP) may contribute to mental health care disparities, yet empirical data are limited...
- Cognitive complexity of self-administered depression measures
UCSF Department of Psychiatry, 2727 Mariposa Street, Suite 100, San Francisco, CA 94100, USA
J Affect Disord 83:191-8. 2004
..Thus, cognitive complexity may provide a useful guide for selecting measures to maximize measurement quality...
- Comparison of psychiatrists and psychologists in clinical practice
David P Pingitore
Center for Mental Health Services Research, University of California, Berkeley, 94720, USA
Psychiatr Serv 53:977-83. 2002
..The authors compared data from psychiatrists and psychologists in California to determine whether long-standing differences in clinical practice remain after the introduction of managed care and other changes in mental service delivery...
- Impact of health literacy on socioeconomic and racial differences in health in an elderly population
David H Howard
Department of Health Policy and Management, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:857-61. 2006
..Differences in health literacy levels by race and education are widely hypothesized to contribute to health disparities, but there is little direct evidence...