- Substituting abacavir for hyperlipidemia-associated protease inhibitors in HAART regimens improves fasting lipid profiles, maintains virologic suppression, and simplifies treatment
Philip H Keiser
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
BMC Infect Dis 5:2. 2005
..Hyperlipidemia secondary to protease inhibitors (PI) may abate by switching to anti-HIV medications without lipid effects...
- Lamivudine 300 mg QD versus continued lamivudine 150 mg BID with stavudine and a protease inhibitor in suppressed patients
Michael G Sension
Comprehensive Care Center, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33311, USA
HIV Clin Trials 3:361-70. 2002
- Initial therapy for human immunodeficiency virus: broadening the options
North Broward Hospital District Comprehensive Care Center, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33311, USA
HIV Clin Trials 5:99-111. 2004
..This article reviews the current classes of antiretroviral agents in development, describing the clinical data obtained to date. These agents may have potential use as initial therapy in HIV patients...
- Improvement in lipid profiles in antiretroviral-experienced HIV-positive patients with hyperlipidemia after a switch to unboosted atazanavir
HIV Clinical Research, North Broward Hospital District, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33311, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:153-62. 2009
- Ritonavir-boosted protease inhibitors: impact of ritonavir on toxicities in treatment-experienced patients
North Broward Hospital District, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 18:36-47. 2007
..In highly treatment-experienced patients in particular, the potential benefits associated with ritonavir boosting usually outweigh the risks...
- Abacavir expanded access program for adult patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1
Harold A Kessler
Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Section of Infectious Diseases, Chicago, IL, USA
Clin Infect Dis 34:535-42. 2002
..Overall, the types and incidences of adverse events reported in the abacavir EAP were similar to those reported in phase 2 and 3 clinical trials evaluating abacavir...
- Improvement in lipoatrophy associated with highly active antiretroviral therapy in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients switched from stavudine to abacavir or zidovudine: the results of the TARHEEL study
Grace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:263-70. 2004
..HIV suppression was maintained over the study period. In conclusion, replacing stavudine with abacavir or zidovudine resulted in improvement in stavudine-induced lipoatrophy...
- Once-daily versus twice-daily lamivudine, in combination with zidovudine and efavirenz, for the treatment of antiretroviral-naive adults with HIV infection: a randomized equivalence trial
IDC Research Initiative, Altamonte Springs, FL, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:411-8. 2004
..Median increase above baseline in CD4(+) cell count was similar (q.d. group, +144 cells/mm(3); b.i.d. group, +146 cells/mm(3)), and the incidences of adverse events, disease progression, and HIV-associated conditions were comparable...
- Long-Term suppression of HIV infection: benefits and limitations of current treatment options
Michael G Sension
HIV Clinical Research, North Broward Hospital District, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 18:S2-10. 2007
..In contrast, NNRTI-based therapies have a different side effect profile. Because each HAART agent has specific limitations, tailoring a regimen to the individual patient is of paramount importance for achieving optimal outcomes...