- Capecitabine Plus Oxaliplatin Compared With Fluorouracil/Folinic Acid As Adjuvant Therapy for Stage III Colon Cancer: Final Results of the NO16968 Randomized Controlled Phase III Trial
Hans Joachim Schmoll
Hans Joachim Schmoll, Martin Luther University, Halle, Germany Josep Tabernero, Vall d Hebron University Hospital, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain Jean Maroun, Ottawa Regional Cancer Center, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Filippo de Braud, Istituto Europeo di Oncologia, Milan, Italy Timothy Price, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia Eric Van Cutsem, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium Mark Hill, Kent Oncology Centre, Maidstone, Kent, United Kingdom Silke Hoersch, F Hoffmann La Roche, Basel, Switzerland Karen Rittweger, F Hoffmann La Roche, Nutley, NJ and Daniel G Haller, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
J Clin Oncol 33:3733-40. 2015
..To report the final efficacy findings and biomarker analysis from the NO16968 trial comparing bolus fluorouracil/folinic acid (FU/FA) with capecitabine plus oxaliplatin (XELOX) in resected stage III colon cancer...
- Effect of adjuvant capecitabine or fluorouracil, with or without oxaliplatin, on survival outcomes in stage III colon cancer and the effect of oxaliplatin on post-relapse survival: a pooled analysis of individual patient data from four randomised controll
Hans Joachim Schmoll
University Clinic, Martin Luther University, Halle Saale, Germany Electronic address
Lancet Oncol 15:1481-92. 2014
..We also assessed post-relapse survival, which has been postulated to be worse in patients receiving adjuvant oxaliplatin...
- ESMO Consensus Guidelines for management of patients with colon and rectal cancer. a personalized approach to clinical decision making
H J Schmoll
Department of Oncology Haematology, Martin Luther University Halle, Germany
Ann Oncol 23:2479-516. 2012
..This ESMO guideline is recommended to be used as the basis for treatment and management decisions...
- Cediranib with mFOLFOX6 versus bevacizumab with mFOLFOX6 as first-line treatment for patients with advanced colorectal cancer: a double-blind, randomized phase III study (HORIZON III)
Hans Joachim Schmoll
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Hematology and Oncology, University Clinic Halle Saale, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Str 40, 06120 Halle, Germany
J Clin Oncol 30:3588-95. 2012
- Treatment with bevacizumab and FOLFOXIRI in patients with advanced colorectal cancer: presentation of two novel trials (CHARTA and PERIMAX) and review of the literature
University Cancer Center Hamburg, Germany
BMC Cancer 12:356. 2012
..Besides multidisciplinary management further treatment intensification is warranted to improve the still limited prognosis...
- Capecitabine plus oxaliplatin compared with fluorouracil and folinic acid as adjuvant therapy for stage III colon cancer
Daniel G Haller
Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:1465-71. 2011
..This multicenter, randomized trial compared capecitabine plus oxaliplatin (XELOX) with bolus fluorouracil (FU) and folinic acid (FA) as adjuvant therapy for patients with stage III colon cancer...
- Phase III trial of capecitabine plus oxaliplatin as adjuvant therapy for stage III colon cancer: a planned safety analysis in 1,864 patients
Hans Joachim Schmoll
Martin Luther University, Halle, Germany
J Clin Oncol 25:102-9. 2007
..To report the results of a planned safety analysis from a phase III trial comparing capecitabine plus oxaliplatin (XELOX) with bolus fluorouracil/leucovorin (FU/LV) as adjuvant therapy for stage III colon cancer...
- Loss of Oct-3/4 expression in embryonal carcinoma cells is associated with induction of cisplatin resistance
Department of Medicine IV, Hematology Oncology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Center of Applied Medical and Human Biological Research, Heinrich Damerow Strasse 1, Halle DE 06120, Germany
Tumour Biol 27:71-83. 2006
..In contrast, the presence of the Oct-3/4-positive, highly sensitive EC cells as the tumor stem cell component in most TGCTs could explain the general high chemosensitivity and curability of these tumors...
- Failure of activation of caspase-9 induces a higher threshold for apoptosis and cisplatin resistance in testicular cancer
Department of Hematology Oncology, Martin Luther University of Halle Wittenberg, 06120 Halle, Germany
Cancer Res 63:513-21. 2003
..However, additional defining and eventually targeting the exact molecular mechanism blocking caspase-9 activation might lead to more selective therapeutic approaches to overcome cisplatin resistance in germ cell cancer...
- Potential regional differences for the tolerability profiles of fluoropyrimidines
Daniel G Haller
Abramson Cancer Center at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:2118-23. 2008
- Epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors: present and future role in gastrointestinal cancer treatment: a review
Martin Luther Universität Halle, Halle, Germany
Oncologist 11:602-11. 2006
..Ongoing research into the molecular basis of malignant disease, however, has yielded many novel agents with potential activity, including the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors (EGFR-TKIs)...
- Resistance mechanisms following cisplatin and oxaliplatin treatment of the human teratocarcinoma cell line 2102EP
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Martin Luther University Halle Saale, Ernst Grube Str 40, D 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
Anticancer Res 25:1147-55. 2005
..Oxaliplatin and cisplatin are widely used in cancer chemotherapy, however, their clinical efficiency is often limited by the development of resistance...
- Histological evidence for the existence of germ cell tumor cells showing embryonal carcinoma morphology but lacking OCT4 expression and cisplatin sensitivity
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Oncology Hematology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, 06120 Halle, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 134:197-204. 2010
..This challenges the use of the term EC cell. The data also support our hypothesis that malignant growth of resistant NSGCT may be driven by this cell type...
- Single agent fluorouracil for first-line treatment of advanced colorectal cancer as standard?
Hans Joachim Schmoll
Department of Haematology Oncology, Internal Medicine Clinic, Martin Luther University, 06120 Halle, Germany
Lancet 370:105-7. 2007
- Phase 2 trial of docetaxel, gemcitabine, and oxaliplatin combination chemotherapy in platinum- and paclitaxel-pretreated epithelial ovarian cancer
Department of Gynecology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
Int J Gynecol Cancer 19:1446-53. 2009
..This phase 2 trial was designed to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of a combination of docetaxel, gemcitabine, and oxaliplatin for platinum- and paclitaxel-pretreated epithelial ovarian cancer...
- Reduction of chemotherapy-induced anorexia, nausea, and emesis through a structured nursing intervention: a cluster-randomized multicenter trial
Institute for Health and Nursing Science, Medical Faculty, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Magdeburger Strasse 8, 06097, Halle, Germany
Support Care Cancer 17:1543-52. 2009
..The purpose of this present study was to evaluate Self-care Improvement through Oncology Nursing (SCION) program to reduce distressing anorexia, nausea, and emesis (ANE) in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy...
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: current and new standards in the antiemetic prophylaxis and treatment
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Haematology Oncology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Str 40, 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
Eur J Cancer 41:199-205. 2005
..Due to these new developments, revised antiemetic guidelines have been set. Here, the most recent developments in antiemetic therapy, including these guidelines, are reviewed...
- Growth inhibition of colorectal carcinoma by lentiviral TRAIL-transgenic human mesenchymal stem cells requires their substantial intratumoral presence
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Oncology Hematology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
J Cell Mol Med 14:2292-304. 2010
- Update on capecitabine in colorectal cancer
Hans Joachim Schmoll
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Hematology and Oncology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, 06120 Halle, Germany
Oncologist 11:1003-9. 2006
..While capecitabine is generally well tolerated, its potential toxicities need careful management and may require individual dose adaption...
- Pulmonary embolism in oncologic patients: frequency and embolus burden of symptomatic and unsuspected events
Andreas Gunter Bach
Department of Radiology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
Acta Radiol 55:45-53. 2014
..Pulmonary embolism (PE) is a common cause of morbidity and mortality in oncologic patients. Furthermore, PE is an unsuspected finding in many cases...
- Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase inhibition as a strategy for the oral administration of 5-fluorouracil: utility in the treatment of advanced colorectal cancer
Hans Joachim Schmoll
Department of Internal Medicine, Martin Luther University Halle, Halle Saale, Germany
Anticancer Drugs 14:695-702. 2003
..Thus the DPD-inhibiting oral fluoropyrimidines have failed to fulfill their early promise: clinical data indicate that none of these compounds is likely to improve outcomes for patients with metastatic colorectal cancer...
- Multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells promote tumor growth in distinct colorectal cancer cells by a β1-integrin-dependent mechanism
Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin IV, Hämatologie und Onkologie, Universitätsklinikum Halle, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
Int J Cancer 138:964-75. 2016
..This mechanism could serve as a future target for therapy and metastasis prevention. ..
- Biomolecules linked to transition metal complexes--new chances for chemotherapy
Biocenter, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, 06099 Halle, Germany
Curr Med Chem 10:2033-44. 2003
..The main issues are: selection of the drug and the carrier, ways of linking the pharmacological active compound to the biomolecule, the optimal way of linking the drug to the spacer, and cytotoxicity, apoptosis, and drug resistance...
- Successful treatment of mediastinal lymphomatoid granulomatosis with rituximab monotherapy
Internal Medicine IV, Hematology Oncology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
Eur J Haematol 74:263-6. 2005
..Rituximab was continued for another 6 months with subsequent consolidation radiotherapy. This is the first report of an enduring complete remission (20 months) of a non-CNS lymphomatoid granulomatosis treated with rituximab...
- Human chorionic gonadotropin-induced hyperthyroidism in germ cell cancer--a case presentation and review of the literature
Department of Hematology Oncology, Martin Luther University, Halle Wittenberg, Germany
Onkologie 30:330-4. 2007
..Where there are clinical signs of hyperthyroidism, overlapping thyreostatic treatment is recommended...
- 2-(4-(Tetrahydro-2H-pyran-2-yloxy)-undecyl)-propane-1,3-diamminedichloroplatinum(II): a novel platinum compound that overcomes cisplatin resistance and induces apoptosis by mechanisms different from that of cisplatin
Department of Hematology Oncology, Martin Luther University of Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
J Med Chem 51:5413-22. 2008
..To summarize, 12 overcomes CDDP resistance and induces programmed cell death with molecular features different from CDDP, suggesting that both drugs induce apoptosis through different initial pathways...
- Impact of Patient Factors on Recurrence Risk and Time Dependency of Oxaliplatin Benefit in Patients With Colon Cancer: Analysis From Modern-Era Adjuvant Studies in the Adjuvant Colon Cancer End Points (ACCENT) Database
Manish A Shah
Manish A Shah, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY Lindsay A Renfro, Steven R Alberts, and Daniel J Sargent, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN Carmen J Allegra, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL Thierry André, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris Aimery de Gramont, Franco British Institute, Levallois Perret, France Hans Joachim Schmoll, University Clinic Halle Saale, Halle, Germany Daniel G Haller, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia and Greg Yothers, National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project, Pittsburgh, PA
J Clin Oncol 34:843-53. 2016
..The impact of oxaliplatin added to FU + LV on the time course of recurrence and survival remains unknown...
- Trans-sectoral care in patients with colorectal cancer: Protocol of the randomized controlled multi-center trial Supportive Cancer Care Networkers (SCAN)
Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Medical Faculty, Institute for Health and Nursing Science, Magdeburger Strasse 8, D 06112, Halle, Germany
BMC Cancer 15:997. 2015
..This especially applies to care transitions between different inpatient and outpatient health care providers throughout the course of treatment and aftercare...
- Safety and Efficacy of Liposomal Cytarabine in the Treatment of Neoplastic Meningitis
Department of Hematology Oncology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
Oncology 89:137-42. 2015
..An efficacious and comfortable treatment alternative might be represented by liposomal cytarabine...
- Presence of mesenchymal stem cells in human bone marrow after exposure to chemotherapy: evidence of resistance to apoptosis induction
Lutz P Mueller
Department of Medicine IV, Hematology Oncology, Centre for Applied Medical and Human Biological Research, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
Stem Cells 24:2753-65. 2006
..Our data suggest that an elevated apoptotic threshold contributes not only to the persistence of hMSCs in the BM after chemotherapy but also to their lifelong presence in the adult BM...
- Detection of an occult B-cell lymphoma in the donor's bone marrow prior to HLA-matched sibling transplantation
William H Krüger
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
J Hematother Stem Cell Res 11:169-70. 2002
- Saccharic acid 1.4-lactone protects against CPT-11-induced mucosa damage in rats
Institute of Clinical Chemistry, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Magdeburger Strasse 24, 06097 Halle Saale, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 130:388-94. 2004
..To evaluate the ability of D-saccharic acid 1.4-lactone (SAL), a beta-glucuronidase inhibitor, to prevent irinotecan hydrochloride (CPT-11) from inducing mucosal damage as a cause of diarrhea in rats...
- Adjuvant therapy for early colon cancer: current status
University Cancer Center Hamburg, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Drugs 71:2257-75. 2011
..The impact of these current developments on daily clinical practice is discussed in this review...
- Metastases to the breast from non-mammary malignancies: primary tumors, prevalence, clinical signs, and radiological features
Department of Radiology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Germany
Acad Radiol 18:565-74. 2011
..Breast metastases (BM) from nonmammary malignancies are very rare. The aims of this study were to estimate retrospectively the prevalence of BM from nonmammary malignancies and to describe their radiologic appearance...
- Guidelines for antiemetic treatment of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: past, present, and future recommendations
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Oncology Hematology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Str 40, 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
Oncologist 12:1143-50. 2007
..This review focuses, in particular, on the conformity and differences of these three guidelines. Furthermore, open questions and trends in the field of antiemesis are discussed as well...
- Maintenance treatment with the immunomodulator MGN1703, a Toll-like receptor 9 (TLR9) agonist, in patients with metastatic colorectal carcinoma and disease control after chemotherapy: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
Hans Joachim Schmoll
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Oncology Hematology, University Clinic Halle Saale, Center for Cell and Gene Therapy, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Str 40, 06120, Halle, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 140:1615-24. 2014
..This phase II study evaluated the synthetic DNA-based immunomodulator and Toll-like receptor 9 agonist MGN1703 as maintenance treatment in metastatic colorectal carcinoma (mCRC)...
- Bortezomib inhibits cell-cell adhesion and cell migration and enhances epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitor-induced cell death in squamous cell cancer
Jochen H Lorch
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Martin Luther University Halle, Halle, Germany
Cancer Res 67:727-34. 2007
..Collectively, our results suggest that proteasome inhibition using bortezomib affects cell adhesion and cell migration profoundly and provides a rationale for its clinical use in conjunction with an EGFR inhibitor...
- German Association of Endocrine Surgeons practice guideline for the surgical management of malignant thyroid tumors
Department of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Straße 40, 06097, Halle, Saale, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 398:347-75. 2013
..These developments called for an update of the previous practice guideline to detail the surgical treatment options that are available for the various disease entities and tumor stages...
- Safety and efficacy of a triple antiemetic combination with the NK-1 antagonist aprepitant in highly and moderately emetogenic multiple-day chemotherapy
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Oncology Hematology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Str 40, 06120 Halle, Saale, Germany
Eur J Cancer 45:1184-7. 2009
..In multiple-day chemotherapy (MDC), the combination of a 5-HT(3)-antagonist plus dexamethasone is still a standard of care. The role of a NK-1-antagonist remains to be defined...