- Effects of dialysis purity on uremic dyslipidemia
KfH Renal Center Munich Laim, Munich, Germany
Ther Apher Dial 14:5-11. 2010
..Ultrapure dialysis fluid improves potential parameters of cardiovascular risk by decreasing inflammatory reactions, improving uremic dyslipidemia and lowering oxidative stress...
- Renal recovery from acute tubular necrosis requiring renal replacement therapy: a prospective study in critically ill patients
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Munich, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:1248-52. 2006
..This prospective cohort study was designed to assess the need for short- and long-term dialysis in critically ill patients with severe ATN and to define risk factors for lack of renal recovery...
- Dosing pattern of renal replacement therapy in acute renal failure: current status and future directions
KfH Nierenzentrum München Laim, Elsenheimerstr 63, D80687 Munich, Germany
Eur J Med Res 11:178-82. 2006
..Future patterns of dosing renal replacement therapy should focus both on an earlier start and a higher dose to reduce the excess mortality associated with ARF in critically ill patients...
- Prospective randomized cross-over long-term comparison of online haemodiafiltration and ultrapure high-flux haemodialysis
KfH Nierenzentrum Muenchen Laim, Elsenheimerstr 63, 80687 Munich, Germany
Eur J Med Res 12:26-33. 2007
..Haemodiafiltration combines diffusion and convection in a single therapy, conferring theoretical benefits over haemodialysis. However, only few randomised comparisons have been carried out...
- Disease severity adversely affects delivery of dialysis in acute renal failure
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Nephron Clin Pract 107:c163-9. 2007
..This observational study was designed to evaluate the impact of disease activity on delivered single pool Kt/V(urea) in ARF patients...
- Renal recovery after severe acute renal injury
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Nephrology, University Hospital Campus Innenstadt, University of Munich, Munich Germany
Eur J Med Res 13:552-6. 2008
..Recovery of renal function after acute renal injury is an important clinical determinant of patient morbidity and mortality. However, studies covering this field are scarce and nonhomogeneous...
- Acute kidney injury as a risk and progression factor for chronic kidney injury
KfH Nierenzentrum München Laim, Elsenheimerstr 63, D 80687 Munich, Germany
Minerva Urol Nefrol 61:159-69. 2009
..Non-recovery or re-need for dialysis are not only important determinants of long-term health status, quality of life and mortality of these patients, but add also a burden to health resources...
- Pharmacotherapy of end-stage renal disease
KfH Nierenzentrum Muenchen Laim, Elsenheimerstrasse 63, D 80687 Munich, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 11:597-613. 2010
..The incidence and prevalence of end-stage renal disease (ESRD) requiring renal replacement therapy (RRT) continues to grow worldwide. ESRD causes significant morbidity and mortality and has enormous financial and personal costs...
- The dark side of high-intensity renal replacement therapy of acute kidney injury in critically ill patients
KfH Nierenzentrum München Laim, Department of Internal Medicine Campus Innenstadt, University of Munich, Elsenheimerstr 63, 80687, Munchen, Germany
Int Urol Nephrol 42:435-40. 2010
..One important area for future investigations is the need to characterize the potential harm of high-dose RRT for AKI in critically ill patients...
- Folic acid deficiency modifies the haematopoietic response to recombinant human erythropoietin in maintenance dialysis patients
KfH Nierenzentrum München Laim, Elsenheimerstr 63, D80687 Munich, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:133-7. 2006
..While folic acid deficiency causes macrocytic anaemia in non-renal patients, the relevance of altered folate metabolism in anaemia of end-stage renal disease and its response to rHu-EPO is less clear...
- Stopping smoking slows accelerated progression of renal failure in primary renal disease
Deaprtment of Internal Medicine, Innenstadt, University of Munich, Germany
J Nephrol 15:270-4. 2002
..Cigarette smoking accelerates the progression of renal failure in primary kidney diseases. It is not known, however, whether stopping smoking slows this accelerated loss of renal function...
- Daily haemodialysis for acute renal failure
Department of Nephrology Innenstadt, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 11:589-92. 2002
..Recent data suggest that alternate day dialysis provides inadequate dialysis dosing in the majority of critically ill patients...
- Exit-site infections by non-diphtheria corynebacteria in CAPD
KfH Nierenzentrum München Laim, Munich, Germany
Perit Dial Int 24:454-9. 2004
..This study highlights the importance of non-diphtheria corynebacteria as emerging nosocomial pathogens in the population of end-stage renal disease patients on on continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis...
- Rapid decline of residual renal function in patients with late renal transplant failure who are re-treated with CAPD
Dialysezentrum des Kuratorium für Dialyse und Nierentransplantation, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Germany
Perit Dial Int 23:398-400. 2003
- Daily haemodialysis in acute renal failure. Old wine in a new bottle?
KFH, Nierenzentrum München Laim, Munich, Germany
Minerva Urol Nefrol 56:265-77. 2004
..IHD should be prescribed in varying frequency if necessary with daily sessions in hypercatabolic oliguric or heavy weight critically ill patients...
- Effects of high efficiency post-dilution on-line hemodiafiltration or conventional hemodialysis on residual renal function and left ventricular hypertrophy
KfH Nierenzentrum München Laim, Elsenheimerstr 63, 80687, Munich, Germany
Int Urol Nephrol 45:1389-96. 2013
..Our prospective investigation analyzed the effects of different dialytic therapies on RRF and left ventricular hypertrophy, which may be considered--at least in part--a surrogate marker of chronic fluid overload...
- Severe acute hypophosphatemia during renal replacement therapy adversely affects outcome of critically ill patients with acute kidney injury
Department of Internal Medicine Campus Innenstadt, University of Munich, Ziemssenstr 1, 80336 Munich, Germany
Int Urol Nephrol 45:191-7. 2013
..The purpose of this retrospective analysis of the Acute Renal Support Registry of the University of Munich was to examine the association between severe hypophosphatemia and severity of and recovery from AKI...
- Ultrapure dialysis fluid slows loss of residual renal function in new dialysis patients
KfH Dialysezentrum München Laim, Munich, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 17:1814-8. 2002
..Our prospective randomised investigation aimed to analyse the effects of the microbiological quality of dialysis fluid on the course of residual renal function after initiation of haemodialysis...
- Erythropoiesis-stimulating agents, hypertension and left ventricular hypertrophy in the chronic kidney disease patient
KfH Nierenzentrum Muenchen Laim, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Munich, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 20:465-70. 2011
..Numerous noninterventional studies in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) revealed a consistent relationship of LVH with modifiable risk factors attributable to failing renal function, particularly anemia and hypertension...
- Persistent nasal methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus carriage in hemodialysis outpatients: a predictor of worse outcome
KfH Nierenzentrum Muenchen Laim, Elsenheimerstr 36, 80687 Munich, Germany
BMC Nephrol 14:93. 2013
- Five-year outcomes of severe acute kidney injury requiring renal replacement therapy
Department of Internal Medicine Campus Innenstadt, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:2235-41. 2008
..Severe acute kidney injury (AKI) is a common occurrence in intensive care. However, few studies have followed up these patients beyond 12 months after hospital discharge...
- Differential diagnosis of bacterial infection and inflammatory response in kidney diseases using procalcitonin
Department of Nephrology, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
J Nephrol 15:297-301. 2002
- Acute effects of hemodialysis on lung function in patients with end-stage renal disease
Susanne M Lang
Division of Pneumology, Department of Medicine, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, Germany
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:108-13. 2006
..Regardless of the membrane used, the hemodialysis procedure does not acutely affect lung function in uremic patients on maintenance hemodialysis. Hemodialysis is a safe procedure even in uremic patients with pre-existing lung disease...
- New strategies for managing anemia of chronic kidney disease
KfH Nierenzentrum München Laim, Munich, Germany
Cardiovasc Hematol Agents Med Chem 10:339-51. 2012
- Daily hemodialysis and the outcome of acute renal failure
Department of Nephrology, Medizinische Klinik and Medizinische Poliklinik Innenstadt, Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
N Engl J Med 346:305-10. 2002
..We performed a prospective study to determine the effect of daily intermittent hemodialysis, as compared with conventional (alternate-day) intermittent hemodialysis, on survival among patients with acute renal failure...
- Hemodiafiltration and survival of end-stage renal disease patients: the long journey goes on
Department of Internal Medicine IV Campus Innenstadt, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Int Urol Nephrol 44:1435-40. 2012
..There is an urgent need for further randomized controlled trials to confirm previous findings and to identify those ESRD patients that are likely to benefit mostly from HDF...
- Erythropoiesis stimulating agents and anaemia of end-stage renal disease
KfH Nierenzentrum Muenchen Laim, Munich, Germany
Cardiovasc Hematol Agents Med Chem 8:164-72. 2010
..The use of ESAs does carry risks such as hypertension, pure red cell aplasia, or cancer, and these agents need to be used judiciously...
- MELAS: a mitochondrial disorder in an adult patient with a renal transplant
Stephan R Lederer
KfH Nierenzentrum München West and Nephrologisches Zentrum, Klinikum der Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Wien Klin Wochenschr 122:363-5. 2010
..This case report describes a 58-year-old patient with a 40-year course of a multisystemic illness representing the diagnostic challenges of mitochondrial disease...
- Assessment of dialysis dose in critically ill maintenance dialysis patients
Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital Munich, Munich, Germany
Ther Apher Dial 18:468-72. 2014
..Assessment of dialysis adequacy should be routinely performed in these patients and delivered dialysis should be tracked through the initial clinical course...
- Baseline serum levels of mast cell tryptase are raised in hemodialysis patients and associated with severity of pruritus
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Dermatologie und Allergologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 3:343-7. 2005
..The pathogenesis of pruritus in renal disease is not yet understood. Evidence suggests that mast cells play a role; for example, the number of dermal mast cells is increased in patients on hemodialysis...
- Urinary biomarkers and acute kidney injury in children: the long road to clinical application
Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Pediatr Nephrol 28:837-42. 2013
..Prospective randomized interventional trials using exclusively high biomarker levels to define acute kidney injury should demonstrate improved clinical outcomes...
- Update on biomarkers of acute kidney injury: moving closer to clinical impact?
Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Mol Diagn Ther 16:199-207. 2012
..It needs to be shown whether assignment to earlier treatment for AKI on the basis of generally accepted biomarker cut-off levels results in a reduction in mortality and an improvement in recovery of renal function...
- Hypertension Secondary to PHPT: Cause or Coincidence?
Department of Internal Medicine Campus Innenstadt, University Hospital, University of Munich, 80336 Munich, Germany
Int J Endocrinol 2011:974647. 2011
- Gadolinium as an alternative contrast agent for diagnostic and interventional angiographic procedures in patients with impaired renal function
Department of Radiology, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 17:824-8. 2002
- Utility of urea kinetic modelling for prescription of adequate intermittent dialysis in critically ill maintenance dialysis patients
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:2096. 2007
- Hemodiafiltration does not increase the risk for mortality in ESRD
Am J Kidney Dis 46:167-8; author reply 168-9. 2005
- Intermittent hemodialysis and/or continuous renal replacement therapy: are they complementary or alternative therapies?
Am J Kidney Dis 40:1097-9. 2002
- [After care for kidney transplant recipients: should the family physician really carry the major responsibility?]
MMW Fortschr Med 146:10; author reply 10. 2004
- Residual renal function should be preserved in haemodialysis patients
Nephrology (Carlton) 12:422; author reply 422-3. 2007
- Fluoridation of drinking water and chronic kidney disease: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:411. 2008