- Apremilast, an oral phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitor, in patients with difficult-to-treat nail and scalp psoriasis: Results of 2 phase III randomized, controlled trials (ESTEEM 1 and ESTEEM 2)
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon Electronic address
J Am Acad Dermatol 74:134-42. 2016
..In the phase III double-blind Efficacy and Safety Trial Evaluating the Effects of Apremilast in Psoriasis (ESTEEM) 1 and 2, apremilast, an oral phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitor, demonstrated efficacy in moderate to severe psoriasis...
- Diagnosis, clinical implications, and complications of onychomycosis
Oregon Health Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Semin Cutan Med Surg 32:S5-8. 2013
- Topical treatment of onychomycosis with efinaconazole solution 10%
Department of Dermatology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, USA
Cutis 91:305-7. 2013
..This case demonstrates for physicians that efinaconazole solution 10% is a promising new topical treatment of onychomycosis and emphasizes the importance of mycologic cure as an early indicator of treatment success. ..
- Baseline nail disease in patients with moderate to severe psoriasis and response to treatment with infliximab during 1 year
Oregon Health Sciences University, Dermatology and Clinical Research, Portland, Oregon 97210, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 58:224-31. 2008
..Although nail psoriasis occurs frequently in patients with psoriatic skin lesions, effective treatments are limited...
- Nail cosmetics
Oregon Health and Sciences University, 2565 NW Lovejoy Street, Portland, OR 97210, USA
Dermatol Clin 24:393-9. 2006
..The grooming and decoration of nails is a well-ingrained cultural ritual in many countries of the world. In the United States alone, US dollars 6.4 billion was spent on nail salon services in the year 2004...
- Treatment of uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections in the diabetic patient
J Drugs Dermatol 4:s26-9. 2005
..Culture samples must be taken by curettage of biopsy rather than by swabbing to assure detection of pathogens...
- Nail Psoriasis Severity Index: a useful tool for evaluation of nail psoriasis
Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97210, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 49:206-12. 2003
..The NAPSI will be useful during clinical trials for evaluating response to treatment of psoriatic nails. The scale is reproducible, and because there are few data points, statistical analysis is simplified...
- Dermatophyte test medium culture for evaluating toenail infections in patients with diabetes
Department of Dermatology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97210, USA
Diabetes Care 26:1480-4. 2003
..To evaluate the performance of the in-office dermatophyte test medium (DTM) culture when used to confirm the diagnosis of onychomycosis in diabetic patients...
- Onchomycosis: an overview
Boni E Elewski
Department of Dermatology, University of Alabama Birmingham, AL, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 12:s96-103. 2013
..Hyperkeratosis occurs under the nail plate, resulting in detachment of the nail plate from the nail bed (onycholysis), with subungual thickening...
- Promoting and maintaining or restoring healthy nails: practical recommendations for clinicians and patients
Eastern Virginia Medical School, Department of Dermatology, Pariser Dermatology, 601 Medical Tower, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Semin Cutan Med Surg 32:S13-4. 2013
..This article provides a quick reference for clinicians and includes a handout for patients to support the health care provider's educational efforts...
- Current and emerging options in the treatment of onychomycosis
Department of Dermatology, University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL 35294 0009, USA
Semin Cutan Med Surg 32:S9-12. 2013
..Recurrence of infection is common; the risk for recurrence may be reduced by adherence to preventive measures, especially avoiding (if possible) or promptly treating tinea pedis infections...
- Efinaconazole 10% solution in the treatment of toenail onychomycosis: Two phase III multicenter, randomized, double-blind studies
Boni E Elewski
Department of Dermatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0009, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 68:600-8. 2013
..Topical lacquer treatments have negligible efficacy. Oral treatments, although more efficacious, are limited by drug interactions and potential hepatotoxicity...
- A new classification system for grading the severity of onychomycosis: Onychomycosis Severity Index
Department of Dermatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Arch Dermatol 147:1277-82. 2011
..Mild onychomycosis corresponds to a score of 1 through 5; moderate, 6 through 15; and severe, 16 through 35...
- Hydroquinone 4%, tretinoin 0.05%, fluocinolone acetonide 0.01%: a safe and efficacious 12-month treatment for melasma
Helen Mary Torok
HMT Dermatology Associates, Inc, Medina, Ohio, USA
Cutis 75:57-62. 2005
..In this study, a once-daily application of TC cream over an extended period of 12 months showed no notable safety concerns and offered an effective treatment for melasma...
- Modern methods to treat superficial fungal disease
James Q Del Rosso
Department of Dermatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Cutis 79:6-29. 2007
- Infectious, oncologic, and autoimmune comorbidities of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis: a report from the GRAPPA 2012 annual meeting
April W Armstrong
Department of Dermatology, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California 95816, USA
J Rheumatol 40:1438-41. 2013
..Finally, GRAPPA members discussed autoimmune comorbidities associated with psoriasis and PsA; they agreed that research is nascent in this field and larger studies are necessary to determine the precise magnitude of these associations. ..
- Treating cosmetically induced nail problems
Renee McLean Chang
Oregon Health and Science University, Department of Dermatology, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Dermatol Ther 20:54-9. 2007
..In spite of efforts to that end, nail salon procedures and materials can cause nail disease that must be recognized and treated in order to restore the nails to health...
- Efficacy and safety of a new triple-combination agent for the treatment of facial melasma
Susan C Taylor
Dermatology Associates, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital, New York, New York 10025, USA
Cutis 72:67-72. 2003
..The most common adverse reactions seen with all treatment groups were erythema, skin peeling, burning, and/or stinging sensation. The majority of treatment-related adverse events were of mild severity...
- Improving outcomes through collaboration
Diane M Thiboutot
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, USA
Cutis 81:26-31. 2008
..Female patients should be advised to see their gynecologists annually for breast and pelvic examinations and to discuss their concerns surrounding the use of OCs...
- Imiquimod 5% cream for the treatment of superficial basal cell carcinoma: a double-blind, randomized, vehicle-controlled study
John K Geisse
Solano Dermatology Associates, Vallejo, California 94589, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 47:390-8. 2002
..Imiquimod 5% cream may provide an effective nonsurgical treatment for superficial basal cell carcinoma (sBCC) based on results of previous studies...
- The modified Nail Psoriasis Severity Index: validation of an instrument to assess psoriatic nail involvement in patients with psoriatic arthritis
Sarah E Cassell
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
J Rheumatol 34:123-9. 2007
..Beginning with NAPSI, our goal was to validate a psoriatic nail assessment tool for use in clinical trials, and investigate correlations between nail and other PsA features...
- A randomized, parallel, vehicle-controlled comparison of two erythromycin/benzoyl peroxide preparations for acne vulgaris
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, USA
Clin Ther 24:773-85. 2002
..Topical erythromycin/benzoyl peroxide (EBP), marketed for acne treatment, must be compounded by a pharmacist and requires subsequent refrigeration, warranting the development of alternate formulations...