- Does particulate matter modify the association between temperature and cardiorespiratory diseases?
School of Public Health, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Environ Health Perspect 114:1690-6. 2006
..However, only a few recent studies considered air pollution as confounders while assessing temperature effects. Few studies are available on whether or not air pollution modifies the temperature-disease relationship...
- The population approach to falls injury prevention in older people: findings of a two community trial
Rod J McClure
Accident Research Centre, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
BMC Public Health 10:79. 2010
..The aim of the study was to quantify the effectiveness of a streamlined (and thus potentially sustainable and cost-effective), population-based, multi-factorial falls injury prevention program for people over 60 years of age...
- Temperature modifies the health effects of particulate matter in Brisbane, Australia
School of Public Health, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, QLD, Australia
Int J Biometeorol 51:87-96. 2006
..The results imply that it is important to control and reduce the emission of air particles in Brisbane, particularly when temperature increases...
- Modifiers of short-term effects of ozone on mortality in eastern Massachusetts--a case-crossover analysis at individual level
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Landmark Center, West, 4th Floor, 401 Park Street, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Environ Health 9:3. 2010
..A few studies simply examine the modification of this ozone effect by individual characteristics and socioeconomic status, but socioeconomic status was usually coded at the city level...
- Effect modification of air pollution on Urinary 8-Hydroxy-2'-Deoxyguanosine by genotypes: an application of the multiple testing procedure to identify significant SNP interactions
Exposure, Epidemiology, and Risk Program, Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Environ Health 9:78. 2010
..One suggested pathway is that pollution causes oxidative stress. If so, oxidative stress-related genotypes may modify the oxidative response defenses to pollution exposure...
- Temperature enhanced effects of ozone on cardiovascular mortality in 95 large US communities, 1987-2000: Assessment using the NMMAPS data
Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, Australia
Arch Environ Occup Health 64:177-84. 2009
..The authors concluded that temperature modified effects of ozone, particularly in the northern regions...
- Ambient temperature, air pollution, and heart rate variability in an aging population
Exposure, Epidemiology, and Risk Program, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Am J Epidemiol 173:1013-21. 2011
- Health effects of ambient air pollution--recent research development and contemporary methodological challenges
School of Public Health, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, QLD 4059, Australia
Environ Health 7:56. 2008
..This paper aims to provide an overview of recent research development and contemporary methodological challenges in this field and to identify future research directions for air pollution epidemiological studies...
- Does temperature modify short-term effects of ozone on total mortality in 60 large eastern US communities? An assessment using the NMMAPS data
School of Public Health, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
Environ Int 34:451-8. 2008
..Thus, both temperature and geographic factors should be considered in the assessment of ozone effects...
- Ozone modifies associations between temperature and cardiovascular mortality: analysis of the NMMAPS data
Department of Epidemiology, School of Medicine, University of California, 100 Theory Drive, Suite 100, Irvine, CA 92697 7555, USA
Occup Environ Med 65:255-60. 2008
..However, few data are available on whether ozone modifies temperature effects. This study aims to explore whether ozone modified associations between maximum temperature and cardiovascular mortality in the USA...
- Urinary 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine as a biomarker of oxidative DNA damage induced by ambient pollution in the Normative Aging Study
Department of Environmental Health, Exposure, Epidemiology and Risk Program, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Occup Environ Med 68:562-9. 2011
..Studies show that exposure to air pollution damages human health, but the mechanisms are not fully understood. One suggested pathway is via oxidative stress...
- Air pollution and homocysteine: more evidence that oxidative stress-related genes modify effects of particulate air pollution
Exposure, Epidemiology, and Risk Program, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Epidemiology 21:198-206. 2010
..nondeletion), and HMOX-1 (any short vs. both long). We attempted to replicate identified genes in an analysis of heart rate variability and in other outcomes reported in the literature...
- Association between local traffic-generated air pollution and preeclampsia and preterm delivery in the south coast air basin of California
Program in Public Health, College of Health Sciences, University of California, Irvine, California 92697 7555, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:1773-9. 2009
..Increasing evidence suggests that air pollution adversely affects pregnancy outcomes. Yet few studies have examined how local traffic-generated emissions affect preeclampsia in addition to preterm birth...
- The effects of indoor environmental exposures on pediatric asthma: a discrete event simulation model
M Patricia Fabian
Department of Environmental Health, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Environ Health 11:66. 2012
- Excess deaths during the 2004 heatwave in Brisbane, Australia
School of Public Health and Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Int J Biometeorol 54:393-400. 2010
..There was no apparent evidence of substantial short-term mortality displacement. The excess deaths were mainly attributed to temperature but exposure to ozone also contributed to these deaths...
- Repeated hospital encounters for asthma in children and exposure to traffic-related air pollution near the home
Ralph J Delfino
Department of Epidemiology, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine 92617 7555, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 102:138-44. 2009
..There are fewer data on relationships between repeated hospital encounters and traffic-related air pollution near the home...