- Adverse birth outcomes and maternal complications in licensed cosmetologists and manicurists in California
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, 2001 Center Street, Suite 700, Berkeley, CA, 94704, USA
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 88:823-33. 2015
- Disaggregating data on Asian American and Pacific Islander women to provide new insights on potential exposures to hazardous air pollutants in California
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Berkeley, California Department of Health Research and Policy, School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, California
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 23:2218-28. 2014
..The potential role of environmental toxicants has not been well explored and may provide insights into these patterns...
- Reducing chemical exposures in nail salons through owner and worker trainings: an exploratory intervention study
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Berkeley, California 94704, USA
Am J Ind Med 56:806-17. 2013
..Nail salons represent a rapidly growing industry with mainly Vietnamese immigrant workers. Workers routinely handle nail products containing hazardous compounds, yet have limited accessible information to minimize workplace exposures...
- Experiences and perceptions of medical discrimination among a multiethnic sample of breast cancer patients in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area, California
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Fremont, CA, USA
Am J Public Health 102:1027-34. 2012
..We conducted qualitative interviews with breast cancer survivors to identify themes related to institutional, personally mediated, and internalized discrimination in the medical setting...
- Cancer incidence in female cosmetologists and manicurists in California, 1988-2005
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Berkeley, California, USA
Am J Epidemiol 172:691-9. 2010
..Additionally, the relatively young ages of cohort members and demographic shifts in the industry composition in recent years suggest a need for further follow-up...
- Characterizing workplace exposures in Vietnamese women working in California nail salons
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Am J Public Health 101:S271-6. 2011
..We engaged Vietnamese nail salon workers in a community-based participatory research (CBPR) study to measure personal and area concentrations of solvents in their workplace...
- Nativity and papillary thyroid cancer incidence rates among Hispanic women in California
Pamela L Horn-Ross
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Fremont, California 94538, USA
Cancer 118:216-22. 2012
..However, little is known as to whether rates in Hispanic women vary by nativity, which may influence exposure to important risk factors...
- An excess of breast cancer among young California-born Asian women
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Berkeley, USA
Ethn Dis 21:196-201. 2011
..To compare breast cancer risk among young Asian and Pacific Islander (API) women to White women, all of whom were born in California during the 1960s...
- A preliminary survey of Vietnamese nail salon workers in Alameda County, California
Northern California Cancer Center, 2001 Center Street, Suite 700, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
J Community Health 33:336-43. 2008
..Moreover, the predominance of Vietnamese immigrant women in this workforce makes it an important target group for further research and health interventions...
- Birth size and breast cancer risk among young California-born women
Department of Research, Cancer Prevention Institute of California, 2001 Center Street, Suite 700, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Cancer Causes Control 22:1461-70. 2011
..Evaluate the risk of breast cancer associated with birth size among young California-born women...
- Papillary thyroid cancer incidence rates vary significantly by birthplace in Asian American women
Pamela L Horn-Ross
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, 2201 Walnut Ave, Suite 300, Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Cancer Causes Control 22:479-85. 2011
..To investigate how birthplace influences the incidence of papillary thyroid cancer among Asian American women...
- Cancer research in Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander populations: accelerating cancer knowledge by acknowledging and leveraging heterogeneity
Scarlett Lin Gomez
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Fremont, California Division of Epidemiology, Department of Health Research and Policy, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 23:2202-5. 2014
..See all the articles in this CEBP Focus section, "Cancer in Asian and Pacific Islander Populations."..
- The influence of nativity and neighborhoods on breast cancer stage at diagnosis and survival among California Hispanic women
Theresa H M Keegan
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Fremont, USA
BMC Cancer 10:603. 2010
- Hidden breast cancer disparities in Asian women: disaggregating incidence rates by ethnicity and migrant status
Scarlett Lin Gomez
Northern California Cancer Center, 2201 Walnut Avenue, Suite 300, Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Am J Public Health 100:S125-31. 2010
..We estimated trends in breast cancer incidence rates for specific Asian populations in California to determine if disparities exist by immigrant status and age...
- Evaluating a county-based healthy nail salon recognition program
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Berkeley, California
Am J Ind Med 58:193-202. 2015
..This pilot study examined whether participating salons had reduced levels of toluene, methyl methacrylate (MMA), and total volatile organic compounds (TVOC), and improved knowledge and behavior compared to control salons...