- Increased level of acute phase reactants in patients infected with modern Mycobacterium tuberculosis genotypes in Mwanza, Tanzania
Department of Clinical Science, Infection, Faculty of Medicine and Dentristry, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
BMC Infect Dis 14:309. 2014
..This study describes the genetic biodiversity of M. tuberculosis genotypes in Mwanza city, Tanzania and the clinical presentation of the disease caused by isolates of different lineages...
- The role of diabetes co-morbidity for tuberculosis treatment outcomes: a prospective cohort study from Mwanza, Tanzania
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg, Denmark
BMC Infect Dis 12:165. 2012
..In a prospective cohort study nested in a nutrition trial, we investigated the role of diabetes on changes in anthropometry, grip strength, and clinical parameters over a five months follow-up period...
- Sex, smoking, and socioeconomic status are associated with body composition among tuberculosis patients in a deuterium dilution cross-sectional study in Mwanza, Tanzania
National Institute for Medical Research, Mwanza Centre, Tanzania
J Nutr 143:735-41. 2013
..Prospective studies are needed to determine the role of these factors on weight gain, functional recovery, and survival during and after treatment...
- CD4 lymphocyte dynamics in Tanzanian pulmonary tuberculosis patients with and without HIV co-infection
Aase B Andersen
Department of Infectious Diseases, Odense University Hospital, University of Southern Denmark, Odense C, Denmark
BMC Infect Dis 12:66. 2012
..The interaction of HIV and tuberculosis (TB) on CD4 levels over time is complex and has been divergently reported...
- The effect of energy-protein supplementation on weight, body composition and handgrip strength among pulmonary tuberculosis HIV-co-infected patients: randomised controlled trial in Mwanza, Tanzania
National Institute for Medical Research, Mwanza Centre, Box 1462, Mwanza, Tanzania
Br J Nutr 107:263-71. 2012
..More research is needed to develop an effective supplement, before it is recommended to TB programmes...
- Infrequent detection of Pneumocystis jirovecii by PCR in oral wash specimens from TB patients with or without HIV and healthy contacts in Tanzania
Department of Infectious Diseases, Rigshospitalet, Denmark
BMC Infect Dis 10:140. 2010
..We therefore assessed the prevalence of P. jirovecii by PCR in oral wash specimens among TB patients and healthy individuals in an HIV- and TB-endemic area of sub-Saharan Africa...
- Artemisinin derivatives versus quinine in treating severe malaria in children: a systematic review
National Institute for Medical Research, Mwanza, Tanzania
Malar J 7:210. 2008
..The objective of this review was to assess the efficacy of parenteral artemisinin derivatives versus parenteral quinine in treating severe malaria in children...
- Daily multi-micronutrient supplementation during tuberculosis treatment increases weight and grip strength among HIV-uninfected but not HIV-infected patients in Mwanza, Tanzania
National Institute for Medical Research, Mwanza Centre Mwanza, Tanzania
J Nutr 141:685-91. 2011
..In conclusion, multi-micronutrient supplementation given as a biscuit is beneficial among HIV- PTB patients and may be recommended to TB programs. More research is needed to develop an effective supplement for HIV+ PTB patients...
- Weight, body composition and handgrip strength among pulmonary tuberculosis patients: a matched cross-sectional study in Mwanza, Tanzania
National Institute for Medical Research, Mwanza Centre, P O Box 1462, Mwanza, Tanzania
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 105:140-7. 2011
..009). These findings suggest that deficits in weight and handgrip strength among patients starting TB treatment are severe. Thus, nutritional support may be necessary to ensure reversal of the deficits, and may improve treatment outcomes...
- Nutritional supplementation increases rifampin exposure among tuberculosis patients coinfected with HIV
Department of Infectious Diseases, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark National Institute for Medical Research, Mwanza Medical Research Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58:3468-74. 2014
..If confirmed in other studies, the use of defined nutritional supplementation in HIV-coinfected TB patients should be considered in TB control programs. (This study has the controlled trial registration number ISRCTN 16552219.). ..
- Indoor Air Pollution and Delayed Measles Vaccination Increase the Risk of Severe Pneumonia in Children: Results from a Case-Control Study in Mwanza, Tanzania
Mwanza Medical Research Centre, National Institute for Medical Research, Mwanza, Tanzania
PLoS ONE 11:e0160804. 2016
..The objective of this study was to determine the risk factors for severe pneumonia in children aged under five years old in Mwanza, Tanzania...