Affiliation: Faculdade de Medicina
- How useful is PCR in the diagnosis of malaria?Thomas Hanscheid
Laboratorio de Microbiologia, Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina, Hospital de Santa Maria, 1600 Lisboa, Portugal
Trends Parasitol 18:395-8. 2002..Even in affluent, non-endemic countries, PCR is not a suitable method for routine use. Nonetheless, PCR could be clinically useful in selected situations...
- Simple flow cytometric detection of haemozoin containing leukocytes and erythrocytes for research on diagnosis, immunology and drug sensitivity testingRosangela Frita
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa, Lisbon, Hospital Universitario de Santa Maria, Av, Prof, Egas Moniz, P 1649 028 Lisboa, Portugal
Malar J 10:74. 2011..These can range from the ex-vivo and in-vitro detection and functional analysis of Hz-containing leukocytes to the detection of parasitized Red-Blood-Cells (pRBCs) to assess antimalarial activity...
- Methaemoglobin and COHb in patients with malariaThomas Hanscheid
Centre de Recherches Médicales en Lambaréné CERMEL, Hopital Albert Schweitzer, Lambarene, Gabon
Malar J 13:285. 2014..Thus, free Hb and haem should be associated with altered MetHb and COHb levels in malaria as in other conditions...
- A novel flow cytometric hemozoin detection assay for real-time sensitivity testing of Plasmodium falciparumMaria Rebelo
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
PLoS ONE 8:e61606. 2013..These results indicate that the reagent-free, real-time Hz detection assay could become a novel assay for the detection of drug effects on Plasmodium falciparum...
- Automated haematology analysis to diagnose malariaGermán Campuzano-Zuluaga
Grupo Malaria, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Antioquia, Calle 62 52 59, Lab 610, Medellin, Colombia
Malar J 9:346. 2010....
- Full blood count and haemozoin-containing leukocytes in children with malaria: diagnostic value and association with disease severityThomas Hanscheid
Medical Research Unit, Albert Schweitzer Hospital, Lambarene, Gabon
Malar J 7:109. 2008..Diligent and correct laboratory diagnosis and up-front identification of risk factors for progression to severe disease are the basis for optimal management of malaria...
- The future looks bright: low-cost fluorescent microscopes for detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and CoccidiaeThomas Hanscheid
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa, Lisboa, Portugal
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:520-1. 2008..Based on LEDs, rather inexpensive solutions for fluorescent microscopes are now available and thus auramine may be a cost-effective step to improve the diagnosis of tuberculosis in resource-poor countries...
- Screening of auramine-stained smears of all fecal samples is a rapid and inexpensive way to increase the detection of coccidial infectionsT Hanscheid
Unidade de Microbiologia Molecular e Infecção, Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina, Hospital Universitario de Santa Maria, Av Prof Egas Moniz, P 1649 028 Lisbon, Portugal
Int J Infect Dis 12:47-50. 2008..Reappraisal and understanding of the accurate staining characteristics of auramine O (AuO), which stains nucleic acids, may permit the inexpensive and reliable identification of coccidian oocysts at routine workup of all fecal samples...
- Growth of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in conventional BacT/ALERT FA blood culture bottles allows reliable diagnosis of MycobacteremiaT Hanscheid
Laboratório de Basteriologia, Hospital de Santa Maria, Lisbon, Portugal
J Clin Microbiol 43:890-1. 2005..tuberculosis from blood in HIV-infected patients. Overall, blood cultures were positive in 39% of patients with tuberculosis...
- Feasibility of introducing rejection criteria for stool cultures in a teaching hospital in PortugalT Hanscheid
Laboratorio de Bacteriologia, Hospital Santa Maria, 1600 Lisboa, Portugal
Clin Microbiol Infect 8:118-21. 2002..Only in three cases would previously proposed exceptions to the rejection criteria have applied. A '5-day-rule' and <or= 2 specimen/patients seem to be more suitable, based on the different hospital conditions present here...
- Current strategies to avoid misdiagnosis of malariaT Hanscheid
Laboratorio de Microbiologia, Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina, Hospital de Santa Maria, Lisboa, Portugal
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:497-504. 2003..The detection of intraleukocytic hemozoin during automated full blood counts is a promising new way to avoid misdiagnosis of clinically unsuspected malaria...
- Automated detection of malaria pigment in white blood cells for the diagnosis of malaria in PortugalT Hanscheid
Department of Clinical Pathology, Hospital Santa Maria, Lisbon, Portugal
Am J Trop Med Hyg 64:290-2. 2001..This instrument appears to provide a promising method for the diagnosis of malaria, especially where automated full blood counts are routine in the work-up of febrile patients...
- Is flow cytometry better in counting malaria pigment-containing leukocytes compared to microscopy?Thomas Hanscheid
Medical Research Unit, Hopital Albert Schweitzer, Lambarene, Gabon
Malar J 8:255. 2009..Detection of malaria pigment (or haemozoin; Hz)-containing leukocytes may have prognostic relevance in malaria; however, studies reported conflicting results, with microscopic counts suggestive of being inaccurate and imprecise...
- Automated detection of haemozoin-containing monocytes for the diagnosis of malaria in microscopically negative cases during pregnancyThomas Hanscheid
Medical Research Unit, Albert Schweitzer Hospital, Lambarene, Gabon
Acta Trop 109:245-6. 2009..In a subset of 37 Cell-Dyn positive but microscopy negative samples, PCR detected five positive cases. This methodology may serve as an adjunct rapid diagnostic tool for malaria during pregnancy, even in microscopically negative cases...
- Avoiding misdiagnosis of imported malaria: screening of emergency department samples with thrombocytopenia detects clinically unsuspected casesThomas Hanscheid
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina, and Patologia Clinica, Hospital Santa Maria, Lisboa, Portugal
J Travel Med 10:155-9. 2003..However, blind screening of all thrombocytopenic samples might be a possible way to detect clinically unsuspected malaria cases in the accident and emergency department (AED)...
- Haemozoin: from melatonin pigment to drug target, diagnostic tool, and immune modulatorThomas Hanscheid
Institute of Molecular Medicine, Lisbon Medical College, Lisbon, Portugal
Lancet Infect Dis 7:675-85. 2007..Finally, haemozoin has a substantial effect on the immune system. Further research is needed to clarify these aspects, many of which are important in clinical practice...
- Haemozoin detection in infected erythrocytes for Plasmodium falciparum malaria diagnosis-prospects and limitationsMaria Rebelo
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina, Lisbon, Portugal
Acta Trop 123:58-61. 2012..Our results strongly suggest that, although it may be useful for monitoring maturation, detection of intra-erythrocytic Hz by flow cytometry will not provide an optimal method for diagnosis of P. falciparum malaria...
- Use of flow cytometry (Sysmex) UF-100) to screen for positive urine cultures: in search for the ideal cut-offSara Brilha
Serviço de Patologia Clínica, Centro Hospitalar Lisboa Norte, Lisbon, Portugal
Clin Chem Lab Med 48:289-92. 2010..Several automated methods are available to screen urines for UTI, one being the flow cytometry-based Sysmex((R)) UF-100...
- The hemozoin conundrum: is malaria pigment immune-activating, inhibiting, or simply a bystander?Márcia Boura
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa, 1649 028 Lisbon, Portugal
Trends Parasitol 29:469-76. 2013..Thus, phagocytosis of Hz in the body is not static but probably happens more than once, and the characteristics of Hz may change over time, eventually causing different immune-modulatory effects. ..
- Macrolide resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae isolated from patients with community-acquired lower respiratory tract infections in Portugal: results of a 3-year (1999-2001) multicenter surveillance studyJ Melo-Cristino
Laboratory of Microbiology, Institute of Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon, 1649 028 Lisbon, Portugal
Microb Drug Resist 9:73-80. 2003..Because of the specific situation concerning macrolide resistance described in S. pneumoniae, careful use of macrolide antibiotics in therapy and cautious monitoring of macrolide resistance should be continued in Portugal...
- Torins are potent antimalarials that block replenishment of Plasmodium liver stage parasitophorous vacuole membrane proteinsKirsten K Hanson
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Lisboa, 1649 028 Lisboa, Portugal
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:E2838-47. 2013....
- In Vivo Hemozoin Kinetics after Clearance of Plasmodium berghei Infection in MiceRosangela Frita
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Lisboa, 1649 028 Lisbon, Portugal
Malar Res Treat 2012:373086. 2012..Here, using several independent methods to assess the presence of Hz, we report the long-term in vivo kinetics of Hz in diverse organs in a murine model of malaria infection...
- Automated malaria diagnosis using pigment detectionT Hanscheid
Laboratorio de Bacteriologia, Piso 4, Patologia Clinica, Hospital de Santa Maria, P 1600, Lisboa, Portugal
Parasitol Today 16:549-51. 2000..Thomas Hänscheid, Emilia Valadas and Martin Grobusch here describe this novel technique for malaria diagnosis and discuss its potential applications...
- Cerebral malaria and the hemolysis/methemoglobin/heme hypothesis: shedding new light on an old diseaseAna Pamplona
Unidade de Malaria, Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Lisboa, 1649 028 Lisboa, Portugal
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:711-6. 2009..In this review, we discuss the role of hemolysis, methemoglobin and free heme in CM, brought to light by our recent studies in mice as well as by other studies in humans...
- HIV Infection and non-tuberculous mycobacteria: how important in southern European countries?Emilia Valadas
Clínica Universitária de Doenças Infecciosas, Faculdade de Medicina, Lisboa, Portugal
Scand J Infect Dis 36:685-6. 2004..The importance of these infections in some areas, the usefulness of prophylaxis or routine use of mycobacterial blood cultures, may have to be re-considered...
- Smear microscopy to diagnose tuberculosis early and prevent further transmission in a population with a high prevalence of HIV infectionE Valadas
Serviço de Doenças Infecciosas, Hospital de Santa Maria, Av Prof Egas Moniz, P 1649 028 Lisboa, Portugal
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:1045-7. 2003..Appropriate isolation facilities for TB are much needed, in order to prevent nosocomial TB spread...