- Chemical fingerprint and impact of shipping emissions over a western Mediterranean metropolis: primary and aged contributions
Institute of Environmental Assessment and Water Research, IDÆA CSIC, 08034 Barcelona, Spain Aix Marseille Université, CNRS, LCE FRE 3416, 13331 Marseille, France Department of Epidemiology, Lazio Region, 00198 Roma, Italy Electronic address
Sci Total Environ 463:497-507. 2013
..In the case of shipping emissions, the aged products were found to be dominant with respect to the primary ones even in the vicinity of the source...
- PM₁₀ and PM₂.₅ sources at an insular location in the western Mediterranean by using source apportionment techniques
Institute of Environmental Assessment and Water Research, IDÆA CSIC, c Jordi Girona, 18 26, 08034, Barcelona, Spain
Sci Total Environ 456:267-77. 2013
..Furthermore, the secondary sulphate source, which accounted for about 22 and 32% of PM₁₀ and PM₂.₅, is strongly linked to the aged polluted air masses residing over the western Mediterranean in the warm period...
- The effects of particulate matter sources on daily mortality: a case-crossover study of Barcelona, Spain
Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology, Barcelona, Spain
Environ Health Perspect 119:1781-7. 2011
..Information on the effects of specific sources could aid in targeting pollution control and in articulating the biological mechanisms of PM...
- Assessing the performance of methods to detect and quantify African dust in airborne particulates
Institute for Environmental Assessment and Water Research IDAEA CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 44:8814-20. 2010
..Based on our results, the TAU method requires adaptation of the thresholds in the algorithm to refine detection of low-impact episodes and avoid misclassification of local events as AD...
- Short-term effects of particulate matter on total mortality during Saharan dust outbreaks: a case-crossover analysis in Madrid (Spain)
Institute of Environmental Assessment and Water Research IDAEA, Spanish Council for Scientific Research CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
Sci Total Environ 412:386-9. 2011
..The role of Saharan dust outbreaks on the relationship between particulate matter and daily mortality has recently been addressed in studies conducted in Southern Europe, although they have not given consistent results...
- Intense winter atmospheric pollution episodes affecting the Western Mediterranean
Institute of Environmental Assessment and Water Research IDAEA, Department of Geosciences CSIC, LLuis Solé i Sabarís S N, Barcelona, Spain
Sci Total Environ 408:1951-9. 2010
..Owing to the intensity, composition and recurrence of these atmospheric pollution episodes, important health, climatic and ecological implications may be derived...
- Coarse particles from Saharan dust and daily mortality
Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology, Municipal Institute of Medical Research, IMIM Hospital del Mar, CIBER Epidemiología y Salud Pública, Barcelona, Spain
Epidemiology 19:800-7. 2008
..This study tested the hypothesis that outbreaks of Saharan dust exacerbate the effects of man-made pollution, specifically fine and coarse particulate matter (PM2.5 and PM10-2.5, respectively) on daily mortality...
- Effect of fireworks events on urban background trace metal aerosol concentrations: is the cocktail worth the show?
Institute of Environmental Assessment and Water Research, IDAEA, CSIC, C Jordi Girona 18, Barcelona 08034, Spain
J Hazard Mater 183:945-9. 2010