- Ruta 6 selectively induces cell death in brain cancer cells but proliferation in normal peripheral blood lymphocytes: A novel treatment for human brain cancer
Department of Molecular Genetics, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Oncol 23:975-82. 2003
..Cancer cell death was initiated by telomere erosion and completed through mitotic catastrophe events. We propose that Ruta in combination with Ca3(PO4)2 could be used for effective treatment of brain cancers, particularly glioma...
- Essential role of limiting telomeres in the pathogenesis of Werner syndrome
Department of Molecular Genetics, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Box 11, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nat Genet 36:877-82. 2004
..These genetic data indicate that the delayed manifestation of the complex pleiotropic of Wrn deficiency relates to telomere shortening...
- Pot1 deficiency initiates DNA damage checkpoint activation and aberrant homologous recombination at telomeres
Department of Molecular Genetics, Box 1006, M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cell 126:49-62. 2006
..Telomeric HR following Pot1a loss requires NBS1. Pot1a deletion also results in chromosomal instability. Our results suggest that POT1a is crucial for the maintenance of both telomere integrity and overall genomic stability...
- POT1b protects telomeres from end-to-end chromosomal fusions and aberrant homologous recombination
Department of Molecular Genetics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
EMBO J 25:5180-90. 2006
..Our results indicate that POT1b plays important protective functions at telomeres and that proper maintenance of chromosomal stability requires both POT proteins...
- Elevated telomere-telomere recombination in WRN-deficient, telomere dysfunctional cells promotes escape from senescence and engagement of the ALT pathway
Purnima R Laud
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas, The M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Genes Dev 19:2560-70. 2005
- Drug-resistant breast carcinoma (MCF-7) cells are paradoxically sensitive to apoptosis
Jack S K Chen
Department of Bioimmunotherapy, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Cell Physiol 200:223-34. 2004
- Telomere dysfunction suppresses spontaneous tumorigenesis in vivo by initiating p53-dependent cellular senescence
Department of Cancer Genetics, The MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
EMBO Rep 8:497-503. 2007
..These results indicate that suppression of spontaneous tumorigenesis by dysfunctional telomeres requires the activation of the p53-dependent cellular senescence pathway...
- Molecular analysis of anoikis resistance in oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma
Michael E Kupferman
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Unit 441, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Oral Oncol 43:440-54. 2007
..Therapies targeting these potential mediators of anoikis resistance may prove to be beneficial in the treatment of metastatic squamous cell carcinoma...
- Adenoviral-mediated retinoblastoma 94 produces rapid telomere erosion, chromosomal crisis, and caspase-dependent apoptosis in bladder cancer and immortalized human urothelial cells but not in normal urothelial cells
Department of Genitourinary Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Res 63:760-5. 2003
..The lack of cytotoxicity to normal cells should also provide a high therapeutic index when used in gene therapy protocols for the treatment of bladder and other cancers...
- Tumor-specific low molecular weight forms of cyclin E induce genomic instability and resistance to p21, p27, and antiestrogens in breast cancer
Department of Experimental Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Res 64:3198-208. 2004
- Characterization of a renal cell carcinoma cell line derived from a human bone metastasis and establishment of an experimental nude mouse model
Kristy L Weber
Department of Cancer Biology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Urol 168:774-9. 2002
..A relevant renal cell carcinoma cell line developed from a human bone metastasis is described and an experimental model in the nude mouse was established...
- Loss of chromosomal integrity drives rat mammary tumorigenesis
Thea M Goepfert
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Cancer 120:985-94. 2007
..Collectively, these data suggest that the carcinogen MNU induces changes resulting in genetic instability detectable before hyperplasia and tumors develop in the rat mammary gland...
- Meeting report: leaders in translational cancer research meet in Udaipur, a historical town of India: an International Symposium onTranslational Cancer Research: Cancer Prevention. Udaipur, Rajasthan, India, december 16-19, 2011
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Unit 1950, Houston, TX 77230, USA
Anticancer Res 33:1777-81. 2013
..It became clear from this conference that tobacco use, alcohol consumption, diet and obesity, radiation, and pollution may account for many carcinomas...
- Molecular characterization of new melanoma cell lines from C3H mice induced by ethanol plus ultraviolet radiation
Faith M Strickland
Department of Immunology 178, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Res 63:3503-10. 2003
..These reagents will provide opportunities to search for new tumor suppressor genes that may contribute to the growth and metastasis of primary melanoma...
- Targeted therapy against human lung cancer in nude mice by high-affinity recombinant antimesothelin single-chain Fv immunotoxin
Department of Cancer Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 1:595-600. 2002
..Our data indicate that mesothelin-producing squamous cell carcinoma of the lung may be a good target for this immunotoxin...
- Human Dkk-1, a gene encoding a Wnt antagonist, responds to DNA damage and its overexpression sensitizes brain tumor cells to apoptosis following alkylation damage of DNA
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Road, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Oncogene 21:878-89. 2002
..These results show that hDkk-1 is a pro-apoptotic gene and suggest that it may play important roles in linking the oncogenic Wnt and p53 tumor suppressor pathways...
- Telomere dynamics, aneuploidy, stem cells, and cancer (review)
Department of Cancer Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Oncol 20:637-41. 2002
- Human breast cancer MCF-7 cell line contains inherently drug-resistant subclones with distinct genotypic and phenotypic features
Department of Bioimmunotherapy, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Oncol 20:913-20. 2002
..These results suggest that drug resistance is an inherent property of some cancer cells that are present in the initial tumor burden and exhibit distinct phenotypic/genotypic alterations...
- City of temples discusses signaling templates in cancer cells. Third International Symposium on Translational Cancer Research: Cell Signaling & Cancer Therapy. Bhubaneswar, Orissa, India, December 18th through 21st, 2009
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Unit 71, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard Houston, TX 77030, USA
Anticancer Res 30:2477-80. 2010
..Please contact us if you are interested in participating, presenting, or supporting the next conference...
- Aneuploidy, stem cells and cancer
Department of Molecular Genetics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
EXS . 2006
..In addition, evidence and discussion has been presented for the existence of cancer-specific stem cells. Successful treatment of cancer, therefore, should be directed towards these cancer stem cells...
- Disruption of the NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) gene in mice causes myelogenous hyperplasia
Delwin J Long
Department of Pharmacology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Res 62:3030-6. 2002
- Telomere erosion-induced mitotic catastrophe in continuously grown chinese hamster don cells
Sea H Sohn
Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chinju National University, Chinju, 660 758, Republic of Korea
Exp Cell Res 279:271-6. 2002
- Pleotropic effects of genistein on MCF-7 breast cancer cells
Sreenivasa R Chinni
Department of Urology and Pathology, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Int J Mol Med 12:29-34. 2003
..From these results, we conclude that genistein-induced inhibition of cell division is partly mediated by decreased telomere length, reduced mitosis and inhibition of Akt activation, leading to induction of apoptosis...
- N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine-induced senescence-like growth arrest in colon cancer cells is associated with loss of adenomatous polyposis coli protein, microtubule organization, and telomeric DNA
Aruna S Jaiswal
UF Shands Cancer Center and Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Medicine, Academic Research Building, Room R4 216, PO Box 100232, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Mol Cancer 3:3. 2004
..In the present study we report that the DNA-damaging agent N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine (MNNG) is able to induce senescence in the HCT-116 colon cancer cell line...