- Evaluation of in-house PCR for diagnosis of smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in Kampala, Uganda
Infectious Diseases Institute, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Mulago Hospital Complex, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Res Notes 5:487. 2012
..Two smear-negative sputum samples were obtained from each PTB suspect and processed simultaneously for identification of MTBC using in-house PCR and LJ culture...
- Management of HIV and hepatitis C virus infections in resource-limited settings
Department of Medicine, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda
Curr Opin HIV AIDS 6:539-45. 2011
..To provide an update on the epidemiology and management of HIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) in resource-limited settings (RLSs)...
- The spectrum of liver diseases in HIV infected individuals at an HIV treatment clinic in Kampala, Uganda
Infectious Diseases Institute, Kampala, Uganda
Afr Health Sci 8:8-12. 2008
..Liver diseases are common in patients with HIV due to viral hepatitis B and C co-infections, opportunistic infections or malignancies, antiretroviral drugs and drugs for opportunistic infections...
- Is it safe to switch from stavudine to zidovudine after developing symptomatic hyperlactatemia?
Infectious Diseases Institute, Kampala, Uganda
Afr Health Sci 8:133-4. 2008
..In resource limited settings patients on antiretroviral treatment who develop stavudine induced hyperlactatemia are often switched to zidovudine on the basis of published studies that demonstrate that this agent can be a safe alternative...
- Factors associated with carcinoma of the oesophagus at Mulago Hospital, Uganda
Department of Medicine, Makerere University, Uganda
Afr Health Sci 8:80-4. 2008
..Risk factors for this cancer have been identified but not studied systematically in Uganda. Identification of these factors would enable establishment of preventive measures...
- Basis of selection of first and second line highly active antiretroviral therapy for HIV/AIDS on genetic barrier to resistance: a literature review
Makerere University, College of Health Sciences, Infectious Diseases Institute, Kampala, Uganda
Afr Health Sci 14:679-81. 2014
..However, the successful long-term treatment of HIV/AIDS is under threat from the emergence of drug-resistant strains to multiple agents and entire drug classes...
- High burden of hepatitis B infection in Northern Uganda: results of a population-based survey
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, School of Medicine, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Public Health 13:727. 2013
..Childhood vaccination was rolled out in 2002, the effect of which on the burden of hepatitis B has not been examined. We determined the prevalence and risk factors for hepatitis B infection in the Northern Uganda Municipality of Gulu...
- Symptomatic hyperlactatemia associated with nucleoside analogue reverse-transcriptase inhibitor use in HIV-infected patients: a report of 24 cases in a resource-limited setting (Uganda)
Patricia Mwebaze Songa
Infectious Diseases Institute, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
Clin Infect Dis 45:514-7. 2007
..The median serum lactate level was 6.6 mmol/L. All patients had their antiretroviral treatment regimen discontinued. Hospital admission was required for 5 patients. Five patients died...
- Hepatitis B and HIV co-infection is still treated using lamivudine-only antiretroviral therapy combination in Uganda
Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Uganda
Afr Health Sci 15:328-33. 2015
..Burden of co-infection is unknown yet most patients are on lamivudine-only ART where resistance is frequent. Most patients are initiated on antiretroviral therapy (ART) without knowing their HBV status...
- Traditional herbal medicine use associated with liver fibrosis in rural Rakai, Uganda
Brandon J Auerbach
Infectious Diseases Institute, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
PLoS ONE 7:e41737. 2012
..Traditional herbal medicines are commonly used in sub-Saharan Africa and some herbs are known to be hepatotoxic. However little is known about the effect of herbal medicines on liver disease in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Intractable chronic vulval ulceration presenting as immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in a treatment-failure patient: a case observation
Department of Prevention, Care and Treatment, Infectious Diseases Institute, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda
Case Rep Obstet Gynecol 2011:896964. 2011
..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first reported case of intractable vulval ulceration IRIS in an HIV-1 treatment-failure patient...
- Atypical presentation of colon adenocarcinoma: a case report
Lynnette K Tumwine
Department of Pathology, School of Biomedical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, P, O, Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda
J Med Case Rep 6:58. 2012
- The liver in HIV in Africa
Jordan J Feld
Infectious Disease Clinic, Department of Medicine, Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Uganda
Antivir Ther 10:953-65. 2005
..In this review we present the available data on liver disease in HIV-infected populations in Africa and discuss relevant data from the rest of the world. In addition, we highlight important areas for further study...