- Pro-atrial natriuretic peptide is a prognostic marker in sepsis, similar to the APACHE II score: an observational study
Nils G Morgenthaler
Research Department, BRAHMS AG, Biotechnology Center, Hennigsdorf Berlin, Germany
Crit Care 9:R37-45. 2005
- Calcitonin precursors are reliable markers of sepsis in a medical intensive care unit
Division of Medical Intensive Care, University Hospitals, Basel, Switzerland
Crit Care Med 28:977-83. 2000
- Disordered calcium homeostasis of sepsis: association with calcitonin precursors
University Hospitals, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Invest 30:823-31. 2000
..Hypocalcemia and increased serum levels of calcitonin precursors are common in critically ill patients, especially in those with sepsis. We investigated calcium homeostasis in such patients...
- Procalcitonin: how a hormone became a marker and mediator of sepsis
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Clinical Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals, Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 131:595-602. 2001
..The aim of this review is to describe this metamorphosis of an endocrine hormone to a new class of hormokine mediators in infectious diseases...
- [Weight loss cures advertised in the media: only quackery?]
Abteilung für Endokrinologie, Diabetologie und Klinische Ernährung, Departement Innere Medizin, Universitätskliniken Basel
Praxis (Bern 1994) 92:279-83. 2003
..This review summarizes the major areas of consensus and controversy concerning the health implications of obesity and weight loss and suggests novel directions for treatment...
- Circulating levels of pro-atrial natriuretic peptide in lower respiratory tract infections
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
J Intern Med 260:568-76. 2006
..To analyse the mid region of plasma N-terminal pro-atrial natriuretic peptide (MR-proANP) levels in patients with lower respiratory tract infections to evaluate its prognostic use for the severity of disease and outcome...
- Predictors of nonresponse to fluid restriction in hyponatraemia due to the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuresis
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
J Intern Med 280:609-617. 2016
..We evaluated routinely measured serum (s) and urine (u) parameters, s-copeptin and s-mid-regional pro-atrial natriuretic peptide (s-MR-proANP), as possible predictors of FR response...
- Biomarkers in respiratory tract infections: diagnostic guides to antibiotic prescription, prognostic markers and mediators
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Eur Respir J 30:556-73. 2007
..In several animal models the modulation and neutralisation of hormokines during infection was shown to improve survival, and thus might open new treatment options for severe infections, especially of the respiratory tract...
- Prognostic value of procalcitonin in Legionella pneumonia
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:55-60. 2009
..5 had a significantly higher risk of death and/or ICU admission (log rank p = 0.003) during the hospital stay. In patients with CAP due to Legionella, PCT levels on admission might be an interesting predictor for adverse medical outcomes...
- Predicting mortality with pneumonia severity scores: importance of model recalibration to local settings
University Hospital Basel, Department of Internal Medicine, Basel, Switzerland
Epidemiol Infect 136:1628-37. 2008
- [Spontaneous hypoglycemia in meningitis]
Medizinische Klinik A und Abteilung Endokrinologie, Diabetologie und Klinische Ernährung, Universitätskliniken Basel
Praxis (Bern 1994) 93:428-30. 2004
- Increase in high molecular weight adiponectin by bariatric surgery-induced weight loss
Department of Research, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Diabetes Obes Metab 10:1266-70. 2008
..To determine the changes in adiponectin multimers upon marked weight loss...
- Anterior pituitary axis hormones and outcome in acute ischaemic stroke
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
J Intern Med 269:420-32. 2011
..We therefore evaluated the prognostic value of cortisol, triiodothyronine (T3), free thyroxine (fT4), thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and growth hormone (GH) in patients with an acute ischaemic stroke...
- Metformin induces glucose uptake in human preadipocyte-derived adipocytes from various fat depots
Department of Biomedicine, University Hospital Basel, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Diabetes Obes Metab 12:356-9. 2010
..In adipocytes, metformin seems to induce glucose uptake independent of insulin suggesting an alternative mechanism of action of this drug...
- Procalcitonin and other biomarkers to improve assessment and antibiotic stewardship in infections--hope for hype?
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 139:318-26. 2009
..Future intervention studies must prove if these biomarkers indeed improve clinical decision making and thus the overall medical management of patients...
- Basal TSH levels compared with TRH-stimulated TSH levels to diagnose different degrees of TSH suppression: diagnostic and therapeutic impact of assay performance
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospitals, Petersgraben, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Invest 32:931-7. 2002
..We therefore re-evaluated the diagnostic value of basal and thyrotrop in TRH-stimulated serum TSH measurements using TSH assays with different sensitivities...
- Mid-regional pro-atrial natriuretic peptide and the assessment of volaemic status and differential diagnosis of profound hyponatraemia
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolism, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
J Intern Med 278:29-37. 2015
..The differential diagnosis is mainly based on the routine clinical assessment of volume status, which is often misleading. Mid-regional pro-atrial natriuretic peptide (MR-proANP) is associated with extracellular and cardiac fluid volume...
- Impact of concomitant thyroid pathology on preoperative workup for primary hyperparathyroidism
Allgemeinchirurgische Klinik, Universitatsspital Basel, Spitalstr 21, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Med Res 14:37-41. 2009
..The aim of the present study is to evaluate the value of MIP in respect to coexisting thyroid findings and their impact on preoperative workup for primary hyperparathyroidism...
- Different strategies to overcome the effect of carbimazole on high- and low-dose radioiodine therapy: results from continuous dose-effect models
M A Walter
Institute of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Invest 39:51-7. 2009
- Effects of infectious disease on plasma lipids and their diagnostic significance in critical illness
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Clinical Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Invest 37:573-9. 2007
..It also aims to determine the value of plasma lipid routine measurements in the diagnosis of infection in critical illness in comparison to markers of infection and acute phase reactants...
- Calcitonin gene-related peptide expression in sepsis: postulation of microbial infection-specific response elements within the calcitonin I gene promoter
V S Domenech
Department of Research Medicine, University Hospitals, Basel, Switzerland
J Investig Med 49:514-21. 2001
..This new form of endocrine plasticity may be of importance in the response to systemic inflammation...
- Presymptomatic thyroidectomy in multiple endocrine neoplasia 2a
Departement Chirurgie, Allgemeinchirurgische Klinik, Universitatsspital Basel, Spitalstrasse 21, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Surg Oncol 32:98-102. 2006
..To evaluate the value of prophylactic total thyroidectomy in multiple endocrine neoplasia 2a (MEN 2a), based on results of genetic testing, in a presymptomatic early stage of the disease...