- Current perspectives on HIV-associated lipodystrophy syndrome
Clinical Institute of Infections and Immunology, Institu d Investigacions Biomédiques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:6-9. 2005
..The issue of body composition has become extremely important for the adequate management of HIV-infected patients...
- Nevirapine in the treatment of HIV
Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Hospital de dia de infectiones Piso 1 Escalera 2, Villarroel 170 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2:367-73. 2004
..A better understanding of the nevirapine profile will certainly contribute to ensuring that its clinical application becomes more effective and beneficial...
- The impact of reducing stavudine dose versus switching to tenofovir on plasma lipids, body composition and mitochondrial function in HIV-infected patients
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Antivir Ther 12:407-15. 2007
..We assessed the safety and efficacy of reducing the dose of stavudine compared with switching to tenofovir or maintaining the standard dose of d4T...
- HIV-associated lipodystrophy syndrome
Clinical Institute of Infections and Immunology, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Coll Antropol 30:59-62. 2006
..These results raise the question of whether we may be facing a definitive solution to the lipodystrophy syndrome...
- Predictive value of early virologic response in HIV/hepatitis C virus-coinfected patients treated with an interferon-based regimen plus ribavirin
Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Clinic Universitari de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44:174-8. 2007
..Few data are available in HIV/HCV-coinfected patients, however...
- Incidence and risk factors for mitochondrial toxicity in treated HIV/HCV-coinfected patients
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Antivir Ther 10:423-9. 2005
- Prevalence and clinical relevance of occult hepatitis B in the fibrosis progression and antiviral response to INF therapy in HIV-HCV-coinfected patients
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel, 170, Barcelona, Spain
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:547-53. 2008
..Despite the high prevalence, this phenomenon does not seem to affect the clinical evolution of chronic hepatitis C or modify the viral response to interferon-based HCV therapies..
- Abacavir-based therapy does not affect biological mechanisms associated with cardiovascular dysfunction
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, C Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
AIDS 24:F1-9. 2010
..To assess the effects of initiating abacavir-containing therapy on plasma lipids and cardiovascular biomarkers...
- Mitochondrial effects of antiretroviral therapies in asymptomatic patients
Muscle Research Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Clinic, August Pi i Sunyer Biomedical Research Institute IDIBAPS, School of Medicine, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Antivir Ther 9:47-55. 2004
..A decrease in the mitochondrial (mt) DNA to nuclear DNA ratio has gained acceptance as a marker of mitochondrial toxicity in treated HIV-infected patients, but the functional meaning of this alteration is unclear...
- Antiretroviral activity of didanosine in patients with different clusters of reverse transcriptase mutations
Jose Luis Blanco
Infectious Diseases Unit, University of Barcelona, Spain
AIDS 20:1891-2. 2006
..0152) or thymidine-associated (P = 0.0142) mutations. In conclusion, ddI retained substantial antiretroviral activity when the number of nucleoside-associated or thymidine-associated mutations was less than four...
- Mitochondrial effects of HIV infection on the peripheral blood mononuclear cells of HIV-infected patients who were never treated with antiretrovirals
Mitochondrial Research Laboratory, Muscle Research Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 39:710-6. 2004
..001), along with increased lipid peroxidation of PBMC membranes (P=.007). Therefore, HIV infection is associated not only with mtDNA depletion, but also with extensive MRC disturbances and increased oxidative damage...
- Noninvasive diagnosis of hepatic fibrosis in HIV/HCV-coinfected patients
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clínic Universitari de Barcelona IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Spain
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 46:304-11. 2007
..Several serum markers reflecting extracellular matrix status have been correlated with liver fibrosis in non-HIV-infected patients with chronic hepatitis C infection. These indexes have been less examined in HIV/HCV-coinfected individuals...
- Evolution of resistance mutations pattern in HIV-1-infected patients during intensification therapy with a boosted protease inhibitor
Jose L Blanco
Infectious Diseases Service, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Faculty of Medicine, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
AIDS 19:829-31. 2005
..Only one of the 66 patients developed changes in their pattern of mutations able to generate or increase resistance to new drugs...
- Randomized trial comparing pegylated interferon alpha-2b versus pegylated interferon alpha-2a, both plus ribavirin, to treat chronic hepatitis C in human immunodeficiency virus patients
Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 49:22-31. 2009
..Side effects were present in 96% of patients but led to treatment discontinuation in 10% of patients (8% on PEG 2b and 13% on PEG 2a, P = 0.47)...
- Pancreatic toxic effects associated with co-administration of didanosine and tenofovir in HIV-infected adults
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Calle Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Lancet 364:65-7. 2004
..666, 95% CI 1.246-91.294, p=0.031). These results suggest that the risk of pancreatitis is heightened when didanosine and tenofovir are given together...
- Pharmacokinetic study of saquinavir 500 mg plus ritonavir (1000/100 mg twice a day) in HIV-positive pregnant women
Infectious Diseases Service, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Ther Drug Monit 33:772-7. 2011
..No vertical transmissions were reported. Therapeutic drug monitoring of SQV during pregnancy should be considered, mainly during the third trimester, to ensure adequate drug exposure throughout the entire pregnancy...
- Efficacy and safety of switching from boosted lopinavir to boosted atazanavir in patients with virological suppression receiving a LPV/r-containing HAART: the ATAZIP study
Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:29-36. 2009
..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of switching from boosted lopinavir (LPV/r) to boosted atazanavir (ATV/r) in virologically suppressed HIV-1-infected patients versus continuing LPV/r...
- Genetic and functional mitochondrial assessment of HIV-infected patients developing HAART-related hyperlactatemia
Mitochondrial Research Laboratory, Internal Medicine Department, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona and CIBER de Enfermedades Raras, CIBERER, Barcelona, Spain
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 52:443-51. 2009
- Short Communication: Natural killer cells and expression of KIR receptors in chronic HIV type 1-infected patients after different strategies of structured therapy interruption
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:1485-95. 2008
..This finding suggests that STI could decrease the number of NK subsets, which is related to the worst clinical development in these patients...
- Increased risk of pre-eclampsia and fetal death in HIV-infected pregnant women receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy
Obstetric and Gynecological Service, Hospital Clinic of the Institute of Biomedical Investigations, August Pi i Sunyer Hospital, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
AIDS 20:59-66. 2006
..Pre-eclampsia and/or fetal death have increased sharply in HIV-infected pregnant women receiving HAART...
- Management of dyslipidaemia in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy
Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Antivir Ther 9:649-63. 2004
..Development of new PIs with more favourable effects on the lipid profile should be of benefit...
- Short communication: reversible mitochondrial respiratory chain impairment during symptomatic hyperlactatemia associated with antiretroviral therapy
Mitochondrial Research Laboratory, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Clinic, August Pi i Sunyer Biomedical Research Institute IDIBAPS, School of Medicine, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 19:1027-32. 2003
..Mitochondrial abnormalities had almost disappeared later when the patient became asymptomatic. Our findings support the hypothesis that MRC dysfunction stands at the basis of HAART-related hyperlactatemia...
- A new multidisciplinary home care telemedicine system to monitor stable chronic human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients: a randomized study
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e14515. 2011
..This clinical scenario requires a new approach to simplify follow-up appointments and facilitate access to healthcare professionals...
- Gynecomastia among HIV-infected patients is associated with hypogonadism: a case-control study
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic Institut d Investigaciones Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 39:1514-9. 2004
..The prevalence, risk factors, and potential hormonal abnormalities associated with gynecomastia in a cohort of HIV-infected men are poorly understood...
- Peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin compared with interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin for treatment of HIV/HCV co-infected patients
Infectious Diseases Unit, the Pathology Service, Hospital Clínic Universitari de Barcelona IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Spain
AIDS 18:F27-36. 2004
..We have evaluated the efficacy and safety of interferon alfa-2b (IFN) + ribavirin (RBV) versus pegylated interferon alfa-2b (PEG-INF) + RBV...
- Effects of metformin or gemfibrozil on the lipodystrophy of HIV-infected patients receiving protease inhibitors
Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Antivir Ther 8:403-10. 2003
..Whether a therapeutic approach addressed to those metabolic abnormalities may have any impact on body fat is not clear...
- Factors associated with collagen deposition in lymphoid tissue in long-term treated HIV-infected patients
Department of Pathology, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
AIDS 24:2029-39. 2010
..The factors associated with fibrosis in lymphoid tissue in long-term treated HIV-infected patients and their correlation with immune reconstitution were assessed...
- Impact of lipodystrophy on the quality of life of HIV-1-infected patients
Clinical Institute of Psychiatry and Psychology, Hospital Clinic Universitari de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 31:404-7. 2002
..Lipodystrophy (LD) represents an important problem for HIV-1-infected patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), although its impact on quality of life (QoL) has not been properly studied...
- MRI signal changes of the bone marrow in HIV-infected patients with lipodystrophy: correlation with clinical parameters
Ana I Garcia
Department of Radiology, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Skeletal Radiol 40:1295-301. 2011
..To assess the prevalence, imaging appearance, and clinical significance, of bone marrow MR signal changes in a group of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients with lipodystrophy syndrome...
- HIV integrase inhibitors: a new era in the treatment of HIV
Jose Luis Blanco
Hospital Clinic Barcelona, C Villaroele 08037, Barcelona
Expert Opin Pharmacother 16:1313-24. 2015
..Integrase inhibitors (INIs) are the latest class of antiretroviral drugs approved for the treatment of HIV infection and are becoming 'standard' drugs in the treatment of both naïve as well as heavily pretreated individuals with HIV...