- Half a century of hydrochlorothiazide: facts, fads, fiction, and follies
Franz H Messerli
Division of Cardiology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
Am J Med 124:896-9. 2011
..5-25 mg are lacking, antihypertensive efficacy is paltry, and adherence is poor, HCTZ is an inappropriate first-line drug in hypertension. If a "thiazide-type" diuretic is indicated, either chlorthalidone or indapamide should be selected...
- Cardioprotection with beta-blockers: myths, facts and Pascal's wager
F H Messerli
Division of Cardiology, St Luke s and Roosevelt Hospitals, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10019, USA
J Intern Med 266:232-41. 2009
..Thus, recent evidence argues against universal cardioprotective properties of beta-blockers but attest to their usefulness for specific cardiovascular indications...
- When an Increase in Central Systolic Pressure Overrides the Benefits of Heart Rate Lowering
Franz H Messerli
Department of Cardiology and Clinical Research, University Hospital, Bern, Switzerland Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland Division of Cardiology, Mount Sinai Health Medical Center, Icahn School of Medicine, New York, New York Electronic address
J Am Coll Cardiol 68:754-62. 2016
..The increase in central systolic BP is prone to abolish the potential benefits of heart rate lowering interventions, possibly accounting for failure to reduce outcomes in patients with hypertension and coronary artery disease. ..
- Selective Heart Rate Reduction With Ivabradine Increases Central Blood Pressure in Stable Coronary Artery Disease
Stefano F Rimoldi
From the Department of Cardiology and Clinical Research, Inselspital, University of Bern Hospital, Bern, Switzerland S F R, F H M, D C, S G, T T, C S and Department of Pharmacology, European Georges Pompidou Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, INSERM UMR 970, University Paris Descartes, Paris, France S L
Hypertension 67:1205-10. 2016
..CLINICAL TRIALSURL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier NCT01039389. ..
- Pre-hypertension: another 'pseudodisease'?
The Heart Hospital, University College London Hospitals UCLH, 16 18 Westmoreland Street, London W1T 7HA, UK
BMC Med 11:211. 2013
..Please see related research: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/177...
- Efficacy and safety of dual blockade of the renin-angiotensin system: meta-analysis of randomised trials
Division of Cardiology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1000 10th Avenue, New York, NY 10019, USA
BMJ 346:f360. 2013
..To compare the long term efficacy and adverse events of dual blockade of the renin-angiotensin system with monotherapy...
- Hypertension in the elderly: some practical considerations
Kashif N Chaudhry
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Englewood Hospital Program, Englewood, NJ, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 79:694-704. 2012
..We present common case scenarios encountered while managing elderly patients with hypertension, including secondary hypertension, adverse effects of drugs, labile hypertension, orthostatic hypotension, and dementia...
- Of fads, fashion, surrogate endpoints and dual RAS blockade
Franz H Messerli
Division of Cardiology, St Luke s and Roosevelt Hospitals, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1000 Tenth Avenue, New York, NY, USA
Eur Heart J 31:2205-8. 2010
..However, in the zest of achieving greater nephroprotection and cardioprotection, even patients with uncomplicated essential hypertension are not uncommonly treated with dual RAS blockade...
- The sudden demise of dual renin-angiotensin system blockade or the soft science of the surrogate end point
Franz H Messerli
Division of Cardiology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Medicine and Physicians, New York, NY 10019, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 53:468-70. 2009
..Unless data emerge to the contrary, dual RAS blockade should no longer be used in clinical practice...
- Hypertension in the elderly: a compelling contraindication for beta-blockers?
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital and Columbia University, New York, NY 10019, USA
J Hum Hypertens 21:259-60. 2007
- A review of stroke in patients with hypertension and coronary artery disease: Focus on calcium channel blockers
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital and Columbia University, New York, NY 10025, USA
Int J Clin Pract 60:1281-6. 2006
..Moreover, the incidence of stroke is significantly related to baseline BP, which may be an important factor to consider when deciding on treatment strategies in high-risk patients with CAD...
- Optimal blood pressure targets in 2014 - Does the guideline recommendation match the evidence base?
C L Alviar
New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, NY, United States
Hipertens Riesgo Vasc 32:71-82. 2015
..This article reviews those recommendations and critically examines if they are based on sound evidence. ..