- A pilot study of the feasibility of a vaginal washing cessation intervention among Kenyan female sex workers
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, HMC Box 359909, 325 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
Sex Transm Infect 89:217-22. 2013
..This association may be mediated by mucosal disruption, changes in vaginal flora or genital tract inflammatory responses. Reducing vaginal washing could lower women's risk of HIV-1 acquisition...
- Incidence and correlates of Chlamydia trachomatis infection in a high-risk cohort of Kenyan women
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
Sex Transm Dis 40:221-5. 2013
..Our objective was to evaluate the incidence and correlates of C. trachomatis infection among high-risk Kenyan women...
- A prospective study of vaginal trichomoniasis and HIV-1 shedding in women on antiretroviral therapy
Linnet N Masese
Department of Epidemiology, Box 357236, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
BMC Infect Dis 11:307. 2011
..We tested the hypothesis that T. vaginalis infection would increase vaginal HIV-1 RNA shedding in women on ART, and that successful treatment would reduce vaginal HIV-1 RNA levels...
- A prospective study of risk factors for bacterial vaginosis in HIV-1-seronegative African women
R Scott McClelland
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Sex Transm Dis 35:617-23. 2008
..Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is common and has been associated with increased HIV-1 susceptibility. The objective of this study was to identify risk factors for BV in African women at high risk for acquiring HIV-1...
- Prevalence, clinical and virologic outcomes of hepatitis B virus co-infection in HIV-1 positive Kenyan women on antiretroviral therapy
Summer L Day
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e59346. 2013
..We aimed to determine the prevalence, clinical, and virologic outcomes of chronic HBV infection, including HBV resistance to lamivudine, in a cohort of HIV-1 seropositive Kenyan women on long-term ART...
- A prospective cohort study of the effect of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate on detection of plasma and cervical HIV-1 in women initiating and continuing antiretroviral therapy
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya Departments of Epidemiology Biostatistics Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle WA Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya and Pathcare Laboratories, Mombasa, Kenya
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 66:452-6. 2014
..39) or cervical HIV-1 RNA (adjusted odds ratio: 1.41, 95% confidence interval: 0.54 to 3.67). Our results suggest that DMPA is unlikely to increase infectivity in HIV-positive women who are adherent to effective antiretroviral therapy...
- Treatment with antiretroviral therapy is not associated with increased sexual risk behavior in Kenyan female sex workers
R Scott McClelland
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
AIDS 24:891-7. 2010
..The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that sexual risk behavior would increase following initiation of antiretroviral therapy (ART) in Kenyan female sex workers (FSWs)...
- Prevalence and correlates of genital warts in Kenyan female sex workers
Barbara E Kavanaugh
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Sex Transm Dis 39:902-5. 2012
..Because of the high prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) in this population, we were particularly interested in the association between HIV-1 infection and genital warts...