- Refractive and reflective image distortion during lower tract endoscopy--a potential cause of misdiagnosis
Department of Urology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom
J Endourol 24:199-200. 2010
..Flexible cystoscopy is well established in urological practice. We present a unique image obtained during bladder inspection, illustrating visual refractive distortion, which highlights the potential difficulty in optical interpretation...
- An updated systematic review and statistical comparison of standardised mean outcomes for the use of botulinum toxin in the management of lower urinary tract disorders
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Sheffield, UK Electronic address
Eur Urol 65:981-90. 2014
- OnabotulinumtoxinA in the treatment of neurogenic bladder
Department of Urology Research, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Biologics 6:299-306. 2012
..We discuss the mechanism of action, patient selection, dosing, efficacy, and side effect profile of this now licensed treatment option...
- Contemporary management of lower urinary tract disease with botulinum toxin A: a systematic review of botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) and dysport (abobotulinumtoxinA)
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Sheffield, UK
Eur Urol 60:784-95. 2011
..There are two commonly used preparations of BoNTA: Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) and Dysport (abobotulinumtoxinA)...
- The placebo effect in overactive bladder syndrome
Department of Urology, The Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
Nat Rev Urol 8:495-503. 2011
..More research is needed to determine the underlying mechanisms of the placebo effect in OAB...
- A systematic review of graft augmentation urethroplasty techniques for the treatment of anterior urethral strictures
Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Eur Urol 59:797-814. 2011
..Reconstructive surgeons who perform urethroplasty have a variety of techniques in their armamentarium that may be used according to factors such as aetiology, stricture position, and length. No one technique is recommended...
- Use of botulinum toxin in the treatment of lower urinary tract disorders. Current status
Department of Urology Research, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, UK
Arch Esp Urol 63:829-41. 2010
..Nevertheless this treatment modality has remarkable efficacy and minimal side effects and thus will be a key future treatment option for a wide range of indications...
- A prospective patient-centred evaluation of urethroplasty for anterior urethral stricture using a validated patient-reported outcome measure
Matthew J Jackson
Department of Urology, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK Electronic address
Eur Urol 64:777-82. 2013
..Studies of interventions for urethral stricture have inferred patient benefit from clinician-driven outcomes or questionnaires lacking scientifically robust evidence of their measurement properties for men with this disease...
- SIU/ICUD Consultation on Urethral Strictures: The management of anterior urethral stricture disease using substitution urethroplasty
Department of Urology Research, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK Electronic address
Urology 83:S31-47. 2014
..Careful consideration needs to be made of the outcomes reported in the world literature, bearing in mind these aforementioned points. The article concludes with an overview of the key recommendations provided by the committee. ..
- Developing a tissue engineered repair material for treatment of stress urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse-which cell source?
Kroto Research Institute, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Neurourol Urodyn 33:531-7. 2014
..This study compares the potential of two autologous cell sources for attachment and extra-cellular matrix (ECM) production on a biodegradable scaffold to develop tissue engineered repair material (TERM)...
- Comparison of candidate scaffolds for tissue engineering for stress urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse repair
University of Sheffield and Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
BJU Int 112:674-85. 2013
- Application of Tissue Engineering to Pelvic Organ Prolapse and Stress Urinary Incontinence
Christopher R Chapple
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Low Urin Tract Symptoms 7:63-70. 2015
..More research with longer follow-up is needed to ascertain the most successful and safe methods and materials for pelvic organ repair and SUI treatment. ..
- Tissue engineering in urethral reconstruction--an update
Department of Urology Research, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
Asian J Androl 15:89-92. 2013
..With further work, tissue engineered grafts may facilitate the management of lengthy urethral strictures requiring oral mucosa substitution urethroplasty...
- A systematic review of surgical techniques used in the treatment of female urethral stricture
Nadir I Osman
Department of Urology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Eur Urol 64:965-73. 2013
..Female urethral stricture (FUS) is a rare and challenging clinical entity. Several new surgical techniques have been described for the treatment of FUS, although with the limited number of reports, there is no consensus on best management...
- Modern evaluation of lower urinary tract symptoms in 2014
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, Glossop Road, Sheffield, UK
Curr Opin Urol 24:15-20. 2014
..To evaluate and present the evidence for the use of different investigation modalities in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia/lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) in 2014...
- Management of anterior urethral stricture: an evidence-based approach
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, Sheffield, UK
Curr Opin Urol 20:453-8. 2010
..To provide a review of the latest evidence on the management of anterior urethral strictures...
- What is the evidence for the management of urethral amyloidosis? A systematic review of the literature
Departments of Urology Histopathology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
BJU Int 109:1858-61. 2012
..By reviewing the literature and comparing our own experiences, we have shown urethroplasty to have good medium term outcomes in patients with urethral amyloidosis, whereas urethrotomy may lead to recurrence...
- Defining a patient-reported outcome measure for urethral stricture surgery
Matthew J Jackson
Department of Urology, Newcastle upon Tyne NHS Foundation Trust, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Eur Urol 60:60-8. 2011
..A systematic literature review did not identify a formally validated patient-reported outcome measure (PROM) for urethral stricture surgery...
- Application of guidelines to the evaluation of the male patient with urgency and/or incontinence
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, Sheffield, UK
Curr Opin Urol 24:547-52. 2014
..To review and evaluate the evidence from contemporary evidence-based guidelines regarding the assessment of men with urinary urgency and/or incontinence...
- Are biomechanical properties predictive of the success of prostheses used in stress urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse? A systematic review
University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Neurourol Urodyn 31:13-21. 2012
..Uniaxial testing of materials has been used to predict their success and rates of erosion. We aimed to compare the uniaxial properties of prostheses to native paravaginal tissue and correlate these to their success and erosion rates...