Affiliation: Biomedical Research and Study Centre
- Three steps to the immortality of cancer cells: senescence, polyploidy and self-renewalJekaterina Erenpreisa
Latvian Biomedical Research and Study Centre, Riga LV 1047, Latvia
Cancer Cell Int 13:92. 2013..We propose that genotoxic resistance is thereby afforded through a programmed life-cycle-like process which intimately unites senescence, polyploidy and stemness. ..
- Self-Renewal Signalling in Presenescent Tetraploid IMR90 CellsAnda Huna
Latvian Biomedical Research and Study Centre, Ratsupites 1, 1067 Riga, Latvia
J Aging Res 2011:103253. 2011....
- Mitotic death: a mechanism of survival? A reviewJekaterina Erenpreisa
Laboratory of Tumour Cell Biology, Biomedicine Centre of the Latvian University, Latvia
Cancer Cell Int 1:1. 2001..We conclude that the features of mitotic death do not simply represent aberrations of dying cells but are indicative of a switch to amitotic modes of cell survival that may provide additional mechanisms of genotoxic resistance...
- Macroautophagy-aided elimination of chromatin: sorting of waste, sorting of fate?Jekaterina Erenpreisa
Latvian Biomedicine Research and Study Centre, Riga, Latvia
Autophagy 8:1877-81. 2012..Thus, both kinds of chromatin autophagy provide tumor cells with the opportunity to repair DNA, sort and resort chromatin, reduce DNA content, and enhance survival...
- Endopolyploidy in irradiated p53-deficient tumour cell lines: persistence of cell division activity in giant cells expressing Aurora-B kinaseJekaterina Erenpreisa
Latvia Biomedicine Research and Study Centre, Riga, Latvia
Cell Biol Int 32:1044-56. 2008..These observations suggest that most endopolyploid tumour cells are not reproductively inert and that Aurora-B may contribute to the establishment of resistant tumours post-irradiation...
- Cancer: a matter of life cycle?Jekaterina Erenpreisa
Latvian Biomedical Research and Studies Centre, Riga, Latvia
Cell Biol Int 31:1507-10. 2007..Intriguingly, some most recent data suggest that cell senescence may be reversible and that stem cells are tolerant to polyploidy caused by genotoxic stress...
- Segregation of genomes in polyploid tumour cells following mitotic catastropheJekaterina Erenpreisa
Biomedicine Centre of the Latvia University, Ratsupites 1, Riga LV 1067, Latvia
Cell Biol Int 29:1005-11. 2005..The data presented indicate that endopolyploid tumour cells preserve the integrity of individual genomes and can potentially re-initiate mitosis from the point at which it was interrupted...
- Mitotic catastrophe and endomitosis in tumour cells: an evolutionary key to a molecular solutionJekaterina Erenpreisa
Lab Tum Cell Biol, Biomedicine Centre of the Latvia University, Ratsupites 1, Riga LV 1067, Latvia
Cell Biol Int 29:1012-8. 2005....
- Toluidine blue test for sperm DNA integrity and elaboration of image cytometry algorithmJekaterina Erenpreisa
Biomedical Research and Study Centre, University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia
Cytometry A 52:19-27. 2003..Sperm DNA integrity is of paramount importance in the prognosis of fertility. We applied image cytometry to a toluidine blue (TB) test we recently proposed...
- Polyploid tumour cells elicit paradiploid progeny through depolyploidizing divisions and regulated autophagic degradationJekaterina Erenpreisa
Latvian Biomedical Centre, Ratsupites 1, Riga, Latvia
Cell Biol Int 35:687-95. 2011..The whole process reduces aneuploidy in descendants of ETC...
- Up-regulation of the embryonic self-renewal network through reversible polyploidy in irradiated p53-mutant tumour cellsKristine Salmina
Latvian Biomedical Research and Study Centre, Riga, LV 1067, Latvia
Exp Cell Res 316:2099-112. 2010..Altogether, our observations indicate that irradiation-induced ETC up-regulate key components of germ-line cells, which potentially facilitate survival and propagation of the tumour cell population...
- The role of meiotic cohesin REC8 in chromosome segregation in gamma irradiation-induced endopolyploid tumour cellsJekaterina Erenpreisa
Latvian Biomedicine Research and Study Centre, Riga, Latvia
Exp Cell Res 315:2593-603. 2009..Altogether, our observations indicate that radiation-induced ETCs express features of meiotic cell divisions and that these may facilitate chromosome segregation and genome reduction...
- Upregulation of meiosis-specific genes in lymphoma cell lines following genotoxic insult and induction of mitotic catastropheMartins Kalejs
Biomedical Research and Study Centre, Latvian University, Ratsupites 1, Riga, LV 1067, Latvia
BMC Cancer 6:6. 2006..We therefore investigated whether expression of meiosis-specific genes was associated with the polyploidy response in our tumour model...
- Nuclear envelope-limited chromatin sheets are part of mitotic deathJekaterina Erenpreisa
Laboratory of Tumour Cell Biology, Biomedicine Centre of the Latvian University, Ratsupites str 1, 1067 Riga, Latvia
Histochem Cell Biol 117:243-55. 2002..The results suggest that arrest at a spindle checkpoint and the uncoupling of mitosis from DNA replication lead to the emergence of ELCS in the resulting endopolyploid cells...
- Somatic polyploidy is associated with the upregulation of c-MYC interacting genes and EMT-like signatureAlejandro Vazquez-Martin
Latvian Biomedical Research and Study Centre, Riga, Latvia
Oncotarget . 2016..In general, the analysis of polyploid transcriptome explained the evolutionary relation of c-MYC and polyploidy to cancer...
- Nucleolar aggresomes mediate release of pericentric heterochromatin and nuclear destruction of genotoxically treated cancer cellsKristine Salmina
a Latvian Biomedical Research and Study Centre, Ratsupites 1, Riga, LV1067, Latvia
Nucleus . 2017..The data indicate coordination of the basic nucleolar function with autophagy regulation in maintenance of the integrity of the nucleolus associated domains secured by inactivity of retrotransposons...
- Effect of leukocytospermia on sperm DNA integrity: a negative effect in abnormal semen samplesJuris Erenpreiss
Family and Sexual Health Center, Riga, Latvia
J Androl 23:717-23. 2002....
- Cancer/testis antigens and gametogenesis: a review and "brain-storming" sessionMartins Kalejs
Biomedical Research and Study Centre of the Latvian University, Riga, Latvia
Cancer Cell Int 5:4. 2005..Further work may show whether this hypothesis can lead to a novel anti-tumour strategy...